IGNORED

No-vax

Wolfie

I think Creaky Steel meant that she had seen the vaccination debate on homeschool borads, not homeschoolers becoming anti homeschooling, but homeschoolers having their minds changed about vaccinations. But I could be mistaken.

I've seen it go both ways, actually. I was talking about debate issues in general. See previous post.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I've got a strange gland swelling thing going on under my ear.... My mom jokingly suggested mumps- then we both realized that it's not such a joke of a chance anymore. (the doctor thinks it's probably an unnoticed sinus infection draining strangely)

So, I've got a strange gland swelling thing going on under my ear.... My mom jokingly suggested mumps- then we both realized that it's not such a joke of a chance anymore. (the doctor thinks it's probably an unnoticed sinus infection draining strangely)

Is it tender? It probably is a swollen lymph node from an infection. I assume the doctor checked your ears? It can also happen from an insect bite.

Nell

I've seen people leave patriarchal and fundie and quiverfull lifestyles because of the debates that used to be hosted on the old AOL homeschool forums. I'm still very good friends with a few of them. Some of them even went from QF/Fundie to full on radical whole-life unschooling.

A family member of mine was anti-breastfeeding (for her) until she started hanging at mothering.com. 6 years later, she's still nursing!

eta: I think most people get more relaxed because of debates, not more restrictive. If they want to get more restrictive, they just don't want to think that hard anymore, and drop out of the debate, in my experience.

Mothering.com scares me. I cloth diaper, extended breast feed (sort of though since I'm encouraging my 18 month old to wean) and didn't circumcise so I'm fine with them for that obviously and I think cosleeping, attachment parenting and such is great if it works for you BUT they deny AIDS! A little girl who was featured in a story for their magazine died because of AIDS.

I walk on my toes, always have.

That was the first thing I noticed when I began working with special needs kids. Those who were ambulatory most often walked on their toes.

Nell

Is it tender? It probably is a swollen lymph node from an infection. I assume the doctor checked your ears? It can also happen from an insect bite.

Nell

Yes, VERY tender- and I work at an altitude that is over 2000 feet lower than I live, and that drive is no fun at all. He did check my ears, then put me on a broad spectrum antibiotic. I went to the walk in clinic, but have an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow that I haven't cancelled, I probably will go, since I need my flu shot anyway. (and have some other questions for her.)

A bug bite makes sense too, I live on a semi-wild acre and I've been out picking blackberries a lot lately.

(and I agree that neuro-typical is boring. I'm diagnosed ADHD, but probably aspergers. My mom knows I would have been diagnosed as more severe if I'd been a child now, but I was diagnosed in college, not as a child and I'd learned to appear somewhat "normal" by then.)

Mothering.com scares me. I cloth diaper, extended breast feed (sort of though since I'm encouraging my 18 month old to wean) and didn't circumcise so I'm fine with them for that obviously and I think cosleeping, attachment parenting and such is great if it works for you BUT they deny AIDS! A little girl who was featured in a story for their magazine died because of AIDS.

Wait, they deny that aids exists?!

Yeah, and they don't like March of Dimes, either.

I don't think I ever read the complete peanut butter thread because my mind is blown that it exists.

I heard (in my own family) that wearing shoes is required in the house because otherwise you are not really dressed, and not being dressed was lazy. Also, that your feet would get cold and somehow that would be bad for your health. I've heard it started (not from my family) as a class thing, that people who got enough money to own shoes started the wear your shoes all the time rule to differentiate themselves from people without enough money to buy (enough) shoes to wear them all the time. It was a kind of moving up in the world thing. Now, it just doesn't make any sense, because everyone wears shoes all the time. It does seem more practical to take your shoes off so your house doesn't get dirty. But then my feet would get cold. (I comply with any host's requests concerning shoes, though.)

Shoes in the house: I was at a KOA Kampground last month. The most interesting group pulled into the camp in an unusual RV. It was a big rectangular block, pulled by a van, nothing like the other RVs. The people who got out of the van were a man and a woman, two young men in wheelchairs, probably both quadriplegic since they used the blow tube to control their chairs, and a physically able young man who was some other kind of disabled. Even more unusual for a campground in Kansas--they were all Asian.

Because I like people watching and they were right there in front of me the whole time and they were quite out of the ordinary for campgrounds in Kansas, I observed them a lot. The couple were obviously caretakers of these disabled young men, but of course I don't know what the relationship was. The RV was like that for the practicalities of wheelchairs, I guess.

The couple were very very busy the whole time they were there (just overnight), doing one chore or another, and here's why I mention their ethnicity. The woman went in and out of the camper a million times in succession, and each and every time she took off her shoes and put on slippers inside. She probably never even gave it a second thought, but viewing it from my perspective, it seemed like a big pain in the ass.

Sitting there watching (I wasn't staring, just passively glancing up from my book on occasion), I realized from her perspective that everything she did every day was a pain in the ass, but she probably did it out of love and obligation, and taking off her shoes was the very least of it.

That was the first thing I noticed when I began working with special needs kids. Those who were ambulatory most often walked on their toes.

Nell

I've always figured I should get tested because I have symptoms other than that, but at this stage of the game it doesn't matter too much to me. My uncle does the same thing with walking on his toes. My armchair physician self has noticed he's definitely someone with special needs from his behaviour. My parents just call him weird and self-absorbed. It makes me sad, because it's painfully apparent to all of us.

Re: mothering.com. Oy. I've gotten to see the end result of some childbirths that the mother insisted that it be a natural childbirth at all costs. Those were absolutely heartbreaking.

Wait, they deny that aids exists?!

Peggy O'Mara denies that HIV causes AIDS. The Magazine had an article that basically encouraged HIV women to breastfeed their babies.

More than you wanted to know about Mothering Mag and AIDS denialism:

Here is the mother and child that were featured on the magazine and both died of AIDS:

http://mdcsurvivors.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... xnews.html

And more on Mothering's AIDS denialism.

mdcsurvivors.blogspot.com/p/aids-denialism.html

mdcsurvivors.blogspot.com/2011/06/reader-subumission-aids-denialism-and.html

mdcsurvivors.blogspot.com/2011/07/peggy-omaras-selective-memory.html

(it's all from a great blog, btw, full of info on the MDC kool-aid)

How do you deny AIDS?

ETA: saw the links. MDC is full of whacky goodness

Aren't there people on MDC that deny germs exist? When I first found the site I thought it was going to be a great resource for natural parenting. Then I read the thread about breastmilk where someone claimed that their face got burned, their nose fell off, and then they glued it back on using breastmilk. And people who called her out as lying had their posts deleted. I then realized the place was full of crazy. So I just read for amusement purposes only.

Just pointing out very gently, you don't DIE of AIDS... you die of Opportunistic Infections. It is often called a death "In the setting of AIDS"... as the HIV/AIDS lowers your immune system so the OI can kill you... but you don't just DIE of AIDS.

Ugh, yes. I have OCD, rather than autism, but I've had people try to convince me that it's because of vaccines or mercury in my fillings. The later particularly makes me laugh, because I got my first filling at 16, but had OCD since I was 3. Not to mention, what about my dad, his brother, his mom, my mom's dad, my mom's great aunt, my aunt on my mom's side, her son.... Yeah, maybe, just maybe, there's a genetic thing going on? (Not all of them have OCD, but all of them do have related symptoms and disorders).

Feel free to dislike some of my symptoms. I know I do. But don't, please DON'T, talk about the "lost" or "real" me, as if I'm a changeling child put here by the evil Pharmaceutical companies and their products. Don't call me damaged, or broken. I am a whole, functioning person, who is more than my symptoms. Also, if I get pissed off when you patronize me? That's not a symptom of my OCD. That's a normal reaction to you being an asshole.

Ditto, except insert ADHD where appropriate. My invisible disability is fundemental to who I am. I'm not broken, I just function differently.

And if vaccines caused autism, then they do a shoddy job of it. My twin has autism and yet I do not.

Ditto, except insert ADHD where appropriate. My invisible disability is fundemental to who I am. I'm not broken, I just function differently.

And if vaccines caused autism, then they do a shoddy job of it. My twin has autism and yet I do not.

Thirding this. While I believe my generalized anxiety disorder and comorbitidies of depression and OCD *might* have been avoided had I had more stability as a child I am not lost or any less real because of it. It is what it is and some symptoms of it suck and other parts also have been good. For me it is a matter of maximizing the traits that come along with it that are positive in my life and minimizing the damaging ones.

I also get annoyed when people think OCD is a way to describe someone "She is OCD" or they think it all equals hand washing and house cleaning.

I also get annoyed when people think OCD is a way to describe someone "She is OCD" or they think it all equals hand washing and house cleaning.

Oh, God, the handwashing stereotype. I once had someone who said I couldn't have OCD, because I didn't wash my hands that much. :shock: :? :lol:

I just wanted to chime in and say that just because a child walks on his/her toes does not necessarily mean there is a problem. Both my and my BFF's sons did the tippy-toe thing when they were little guys a lot and they are both perfectly adjusted neurologically as 21 year olds.

I just wanted to chime in and say that just because a child walks on his/her toes does not necessarily mean there is a problem. Both my and my BFF's sons did the tippy-toe thing when they were little guys a lot and they are both perfectly adjusted neurologically as 21 year olds.

I wouldn't use the toe-walk as a diagnostic by any means, but I have noticed a lot of people with autism (both adults and kids in my former job as a special ed TA) do walk on their toes. I've always figured it was a sensory thing, not a sign of an ASD itself. Non-ASD people can have sensory issues too :)

Archived