IGNORED

No-vax

Wolfie

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I figured it applied since so many of the fundies we discuss are no-vax.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/2011/0 ... -vaccinate This was on a local station yesterday morning, and it is downright scary that herd immunity is being lost. (looking at the stats for my county, I'm pretty sure it is both the hippie types, some "trendy" parents as well as the fundy parents. I live in a rather diverse area...)

Thought on no-vax? (personally I think it's scarier than hell to play with lives like that.)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vaccinations, circumcision and ear piercing on babies... the three guaranteed ways to start a fight.

I am a R.N., peds. My DH is a M.D. Our younger son and his wife don't vaccinate. We each said our piece, then shut up because we are the grandparents, not the parents. But it scares me, esp since they often travel to Colombia. The county they live in currently has measles.

The only thing I would do today if my kids were young is get the immunizations on a different schedule. I do think too many vaccinations are given at once. I'd go much slower but by school age they'd be up to date. I would not give the varicella vaccine. Every case of chickenpox I've seen in the last several years has been in an immunized student.

About 10 years ago I caught pertussis from an unimmunized student. I was very ill. The student's 6 month old nephew died.

I'm old enough to remember polio, which took several of my classmates. My Dad lost 4 siblings to diptheria. I'd hate to see these diseases come back, and they will if too many people opt not to vaccinate.

Nell

Vaccinations, circumcision and ear piercing on babies... the three guaranteed ways to start a fight.

Don't forget breastfeeding, peanut butter and whether or not you should remove your shoes when you enter someone's home!

Guest Anonymous

GD it someone always has to open the fucking box. Nooooooooooo! Just don't open the fucking box! You know that shit won't go back inside once you let it out, Pandora.

Homeschool vs public school

SAHM vs WOTH mom - the "mother" of all mommy war battles

AP vs Traditional vs hybrid (this would include co-sleeping vs crib, sling or stroller, Dr. Sears vs Dr. Spock)

What else can we beat each other up for? I'm sure we're still missing some! :D

I got one!

Wholefoods organics vs. processed Wal-mart for the precious children's food.

Ugh, someone on a certain Facebook group told me once that I might as well be eating processed crap from Walmart because the organics I buy from Costco (spinach, carrots, quinoa, milk, peanut butter, chicken, eggs) aren't "real" organic. Uh, sorry it's not locally grass-fed from the farm, but it's still organic!

I've seen fights over families who use welfare even if it's a temporary thing when they've fallen on hard times.

Hey maybe this is gods way of removing fundies from the world? there that should stir things up.

I'm not sure Darwin had that in mind when he came up with his theories.

HEY! Another thing! Evolution versus intelligent design!

Weaning

Potty Training

Spanking!

Cloth or disposables or diaper service

Diaper covers (which seem to deserve their own separate category, as do slings. There are whole websites with huge communities devoted the discussion of such things).

Baby laundry detergent

Baby products of all sorts

How often to bathe baby

Should extracurriculars be agenda-driven by parents or child-led

Force them to go to church or not

Provide support through college or not

Reproductive education: provide comprehensive sex education, even provide condoms, or teach abstinence or a hybrid

There have got to be more.

Sorry to Wolfie for the thread hijack!

ETA: spanking - how could I forget that one?

Goodness knows I don't want to start any enormous fights, but I've seen the wearing shoes in the house thing mentioned a couple of times, and no matter which way I turn my head and squint, I fail to see how this could cause any sort of passionate debate. Perhaps someone could give me a very quick summary of what exactly this argument is about?

Yes, thank you, O Latin! Who could forget the shoes in the house debate?

Although I do forget what the premise of it was - sorry :)

Archived