IGNORED

Michaela and Brandon Are Engaged!

frugalitymom

The cherry blossoms around the tidal basin are really beautiful. The entire area surrounding it would be a great place to propose, and you'd be guaranteed some great photos if you could manage to find a spot without crazed tourists. Spring is always when I miss living in DC the most!

Great Falls would be a nice place to propose too, though! I have a lot of memories of going there as a kid.

I wonder if DC has any significance to them? Brandon is pretty settled in Chicago, right? No chance he'd be moving to DC like Josh Duggar?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope so. Jana deserves a break from being a mother of 13+ children.

Totally was just thinking this, but we have to hope it's on Jana's terms and she's not just pushed out of the TTH to start courting because she's 'too old and it looks strange having an unmarried daughter of that age.' I just would hate to think of how sad the little ones would be to lose her like that, and Jana too!

Put me in the camp that Brandon is into Michaela, but is suuuper awkward in front of the camera. Didn't he tell Michaela he was in love with her when he asked her to court? If I remember correctly he would also do over the top romantic gestures like write her love poems, surprise visits, and collages of their relationship. Yada yada :lol:

OT:

Is there a reason why Michaela's family pronounces her name Michael-ah? I know her name I Michael, but as I understand it Michaela is pronounces like McKayla.

Because her name is actually Michael, not Michaela. They added the a so people would be less confused.

But her name is legally Michael. Her middle name is Christian, too.

I know they say her name was originally Michal, but I often get the feeling they really wanted a boy.

There's a photo where the two are embracing and Michaela is giving the world the middle finger. It's pretty funny in the context of finally getting engaged.

Regarding DC, the Cherry Blossom festival just happened and the trees are in full bloom. It is incredibly beautiful right now, rather famous for its beauty at this time, and it could be that Brandon wanted to do something special by proposing to Michaela there. Also, perhaps Michaela always wanted to go to DC/see the cherry blossoms.

However, even if there is no "connection" to DC, I wouldn't be mad at all if someone planned a special trip to a different part of the country during a time when it was famously beautiful to propose. That's quite sweet, really.

Brandon's brother Brent is Joshie's underling at FRC. Maybe Brandon is interviewing there, too. Or some other political venture; the Keilens are active at their state level, I believe. viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25438

Dug this up about their courtship beginning.

thebatesfamily.com/love-in-the-air/ Apparently he's full of romantic gestures, but the camera crew isn't picking it up or he's camera shy (understandable).

As for her name, I read one of the comments that it's Christan. I'm presuming it's pronounced Kristen (I went to camp with a Kristan and it was pronounced Kristen).

I was so happy when I saw the news. Good for Michael. She seems to really want to be a wife and mother and it's been becoming more and more evident that she's ready to start her own family.

Put me in the camp that Brandon is into Michaela, but is suuuper awkward in front of the camera. Didn't he tell Michaela he was in love with her when he asked her to court? If I remember correctly he would also do over the top romantic gestures like write her love poems, surprise visits, and collages of their relationship. Yada yada :lol:

OT:

Is there a reason why Michaela's family pronounces her name Michael-ah? I know her name I Michael, but as I understand it Michaela is pronounces like McKayla.

I don't think that pronunciation is completely unheard of, but there are pages of FJ devoted to Michael's name. Start here: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=11601 (not sure if the pronunciation question is addressed, ever, even though it IS unusual)

She seems to really want to be a wife and mother and it's been becoming more and more evident that she's ready to start her own family.

Agree!

I like Michaela and I'm happy for them both. She does look beautiful in the engagement pictures, but I can't believe this was a surprise. Just like the other Bateses engagements, they all seem to miraculously wear perfectly matching or coordinated outfits on the day they get engaged. Except maybe for Alyssa's - hard to tell as her and John are wearing jackets in their engagement pictures. :D

I am happy for them. I like Michael and I like them as a couple despite all the ATI grossness. I like that they front hugged. I like that he waited to propose until he knew he could take care of a wife and children. He didn't take this lightly and I feel like this is important when you consider how much the wife and child rely on the man in this culture. I have never watched the show so I don't know how smug he is and I prefer to remain that way.

I have to say I had a chuckle at this picture. Michael's hand is moving quite low there. She is not going to want a long engagement.

uptv.com/files/new-gallery-1_0.jpg

This is a couple I feel are truly ready for marriage. They have known each other and been courting for a long time. Brandon waited to finish college (even if it was a pretend degree - not sure what he did) and was working so he could support her. Michaela really seems to enjoy being with her siblings and il oolong after the little boy she baby sits, she loves cooking and sewing, etc. She is the perfect little fundy wife. I think they are going to be very happy.

As for how Brandon comes across, most quiet and/or shy people come across really badly in photos and especially on film. (See the photos of the first 25 years of my life for evidence!) I just put his apparent coldness down to not being comfortable with people paying attention to him. Michaela comes across as quite awkward at times for the same reason.

Yay, I'm so happy for them! As others have posted, they are ready for marriage. I respect Brandon for waiting until he could afford it rather than just jumping into it (I'm looking at you, Bin) and took the time to know each other rather than a rush to the wedding altar.

As for his proposal, I don't see what the issue is. Certain men go all out while others like to keep things simple. When my fiancé proposed, he did it on the day we got the keys to our apartment. He made a poster board with all of his favorite pictures of us and proposed in front of our balcony door with my sister and her boyfriend recording it and taking pictures.

My sister's boyfriend, on the other hand, is one of those super romantic boyfriends who will most likely do something intimate but over the top. When he left for SA for 2 weeks, he gave her a "prescription bottle" with notes for her to read every morning and night until he came back. To each their own but I'm sure Brandon's scavenger hunt was probably more intimate than over the top like how Bin's was.

Looks like Brandon and Michael just created a shared IG

instagram.com/brandon_michael_JN15

Looks like Brandon and Michael just created a shared IG

instagram.com/brandon_michael_JN15

I feel very timely lol

Thanks!

I feel very timely lol

Thanks!

So looking at the instagram name, they must be getting married in June. Only 2 months before the wedding! I really don't know how they get everything done that quickly.

So looking at the instagram name, they must be getting married in June. Only 2 months before the wedding! I really don't know how they get everything done that quickly.

I just went to their instagram and they are quoting John 15, so I think that's what the reference is in their instagram name, rather than a date.

On the IG picture of the ring, Michael says Brandon designed the ring for her. I must say, if true, that he did a much better job than that hot mess of a wedding ring that Ben designed for Jessa.

Sorry if this has already been post. This website have two exclusive photos: breathecast.com/articles/bringing-up-bates-daughter-engaged-long-romantic-proposal-season-2-26878/ (link broken)

I believe that the article has incorrect ages listed. I thought Gil was 50.

"According to a press release Brandon surprised her. He left clues for her at seven different places, culminating in the long-awaited proposal at Great Falls, Virginia, outside of Washington, DC."

It appears that besides Brandon's parents, his sisters (Becky Keilen & Christy Keilen) were also there.

The ring looks a lot better from that angle. I think the other view we got of it was just an awkward view.

bringing-up-bates.jpeg

So on her instagram it says he designed it. I wonder if the shape of the sides has some symbolism or if he just liked the squigly look....

instagram.com/p/1lCwHRvmWr/

Gah, I can't keep up with all these new social media accounts of the newly courting and engaged Fundies. Maybe we should dangle the promise of Instagrams in front of the Arndt manboys and the Seven Sisters and see if any of them bite.

Isn't that a normal timeline for fundie engagements?

And they've been courting for so long, I'm sure she already thought about (or possibly worked out) many wedding details (dress, colors, flowers, bridal party, etc) before she had the ring.

Archived