IGNORED

Michaela and Brandon Are Engaged!

frugalitymom

I'm curious why they did this at the Great Falls of the Potomac--outside DC. Midpoint between the Bates in Tenn & Brandon's house in Michigan (or Illinois, since he's supposedly working at ATI headquarters, perhaps). I wonder what else they did while they were in the DC area.

Spring is a great time to visit Great Falls--when the water is at its highest.

How about Brandael?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Lovely center stone, but the weird things on the side are.... interesting. Maybe it is the angle?

Also - last pic - is that Brandon's mother? What the hell is up with her hair? Is that a wig? It looks really strange and unnatural....

That was the FIRST think I thought when I saw that ring. My immediate reaction was - yikes - what's going on there?!? I'm a lover of the cushion cut (my engagement ring is a cushion) but the side stuff is odd to me. Almost makes it look costume-y? I don't know. I guess I'm a jewelry snob, too - but I don't like it. :D

Don't know enough about the players to comment, but I LOVE the ring. If I'm not mistaken, the frou-frou is raised enough that a straight gold ring will slide right under it, and nest beautifully together. Good choice!

I am betting the wedding band fits into that ring somehow and right now with her just having the engagement ring, it looks weird.

It's not my taste but it's not my ring :) My ring is simple (some have seen it on here one of the last times we talked about rings).

I'm curious why they did this at the Great Falls of the Potomac--outside DC. Midpoint between the Bates in Tenn & Brandon's house in Michigan (or Illinois, since he's supposedly working at ATI headquarters, perhaps). I wonder what else they did while they were in the DC area.

Spring is a great time to visit Great Falls--when the water is at its highest.

How about Brandael?

I was wondering that too...

Does this area hold any significant meaning to them?

For Michael(a)'s sake, I am just glad that:

1. She can go to Big Sandy next week and not have to worry about having to answer: "So when is he going to ask?"... "When are you getting married?"

2. Brandon didn't propose at Big Sandy... I was actually afraid of that...

I just feel really sorry that the one child that wanted a quiet little wedding with just her family...will be having it on television.

I'm thinking a July/August wedding, depending on when Erin's due. Hopefully, they won't plan the wedding to close to her due date. I also agree she'll get pregnant fairly quickly. I'm guessing a mid summer birth, when she's 26.5.

Erin's due in early June. So I'm thinking a late June/early July wedding.

I'm looking forward to seeing what her dress looks like. Style wise, she's the most conservative of the older Bates girls (I've never seen her in anything other than a long dress/skirt) and I can imagine that she's either making her dress, or it will be a t-shirt dress. I'm picturing it more like Anna/Erin than Alyssa/Jessa.

I also remember Michael clinging to the prairie dresses longer than her sisters.

She really grew into herself though. She's become incredibly beautiful.

I am happy for Michael, but Brandon's personality just rubs me the wrong way. I think it is because he reminds me of all the guys I grew up going to church with. Outwardly appearing polite, but a bit smug and sarcastic towards women and children.

His smile just makes me think of Amway for some reason.

Yaye! I'm really happy for them! While I know she has probably been anxiously waiting for a while, I am glad they took a little bit longer to get to know each other and save some money.

About the ring. I really like it and normally I like pretty simple things. I think it will look even better when the wedding band is added on!

This makes me wonder. Since she is pretty much guaranteed to be going to change her legal last name, I wonder if she'll change her legal first name as well while she's at it.

I am happy for Michael, but Brandon's personality just rubs me the wrong way. I think it is because he reminds me of all the guys I grew up going to church with. Outwardly appearing polite, but a bit smug and sarcastic towards women and children.

His smile just makes me think of Amway for some reason.

yes! but I think a lot of young men (fundie or not) are a little smug towards women and children. I've always found that more men in their 20s think they are better than anyone else on this planet. after 30 or 35 they tend to mellow down a little. (maybe it's the same with liberal women, but earlier? like 17 to mid twenties?)

all in all: I think he is not so much into her than she is into him. but she is BEAUTIFUL (like Jana-beautiful) and very balanced. I like her personality!

They may have ended at Great Falls, but that right there is 100% the Tidal Basin in DC in all its Cherry Blossom glory. So maybe they went on a trip there together and he took a cue from Bin with a scavenger hunt? The Cherry Blossoms on the Mall seem like a prettier spot to propose than Great Falls though, they're likely at the Jefferson Memorial in that picture.

post-4296-14452000081205_thumb.jpg

This makes me wonder. Since she is pretty much guaranteed to be going to change her legal last name, I wonder if she'll change her legal first name as well while she's at it.

Kelly once posted in a comment that Michael(a) goes back and forth. I am just hoping for consistency. I am guessing her wedding invitations will give us a clue.

Totally off topic, but one of my friends when she was born her mom wanted to name her a pretty unusual name, but got talked into naming her something a little more common like Jill (not her actual name)...after my friend got married and she was going to change her name...she was like: "Jill has never fit me, this was not suppose to be my name, and she always felt bad that her Mom didn't get to name her what she wanted, and surprised everyone when she changed her first name to the name her Mom originally picked out for her...

Needless to say her Mom was thrilled and my friend has been happy with her name ever since.

I hope Michael(a) is as happy as my friend.

Regarding DC, the Cherry Blossom festival just happened and the trees are in full bloom. It is incredibly beautiful right now, rather famous for its beauty at this time, and it could be that Brandon wanted to do something special by proposing to Michaela there. Also, perhaps Michaela always wanted to go to DC/see the cherry blossoms.

However, even if there is no "connection" to DC, I wouldn't be mad at all if someone planned a special trip to a different part of the country during a time when it was famously beautiful to propose. That's quite sweet, really.

Read it somewhere on a blog and my first thought was i have to go to free jinger and see if some mentioned it yet ;) Of course it was. Happy for them that they are finally engaged. So is the next poll going to be how long it will be before she gets pregnant?

Michael looks stunning, particularly in the picture with the tree. Brandon is a bit uncanny valley for me - he looks like a Pixar animator's idea of a charming guy, if you know what I mean?

I think they should ask Chris Maxwell to take their wedding pictures. Can't you just see his face.... "Michael and Brandon"..... :P :wink-kitty:

Read it somewhere on a blog and my first thought was i have to go to free jinger and see if some mentioned it yet ;) Of course it was. Happy for them that they are finally engaged. So is the next poll going to be how long it will be before she gets pregnant?

I hope for her sake it is soon! She's always said that she really wants a big family and loves kids. Since she's getting married late for a fundie, I think she'll want to start right away.

I wonder if now with their oldest daughter engaged, the Duggar feel pressure to marry off Jana.

I hope so. Jana deserves a break from being a mother of 13+ children.

Sorry if this has already been post. This website have two exclusive photos: breathecast.com/articles/bringing-up-bates-daughter-engaged-long-romantic-proposal-season-2-26878/ (link broken)

I believe that the article has incorrect ages listed. I thought Gil was 50.

"According to a press release Brandon surprised her. He left clues for her at seven different places, culminating in the long-awaited proposal at Great Falls, Virginia, outside of Washington, DC."

It appears that besides Brandon's parents, his sisters (Becky Keilen & Christy Keilen) were also there.

Looks like Brandon took a play from Ben Seewald's playbook.

It's about time! I feel as though I have been waiting forever for this engagement! She does seem to be very in love and I hope that it all turns out well for them! Weddings, babies, so much for them to think about!

Put me in the camp that Brandon is into Michaela, but is suuuper awkward in front of the camera. Didn't he tell Michaela he was in love with her when he asked her to court? If I remember correctly he would also do over the top romantic gestures like write her love poems, surprise visits, and collages of their relationship. Yada yada :lol:

OT:

Is there a reason why Michaela's family pronounces her name Michael-ah? I know her name I Michael, but as I understand it Michaela is pronounces like McKayla.

Archived