IGNORED

Widely Accepted Duggar Myths

veron1que

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dont the arndts have anything to do other than living with ma and pa?

They're court reporters and wedding photographers/videographers. They're out in the world a lot, actually.

They're court reporters and wedding photographers/videographers. They're out in the world a lot, actually.

Which makes them all the stranger

John David's airplane is also in the name of one of Jim Bob's business holdings. The plane does not belong to John David. I don't know if he ever gets paid for operating it, though.

Favorite Duggar myth: that Jim Bob is the patriarch who runs the show and is drowning his family in the kool-aid. I think Jim Bob is running the financial part of his family life, but as to the religious teachings that involve their form of conservative Christianity, the buddy system, and the manipulation? All Michelle.

We've seen plenty of instances on the show where Jim Bob acts competitive and insecure, like shoving his sons during games and playing pranks on people. I think Michelle just learned from a young age how to manipulate him and exploit his weaknesses to her own advantage. She comes up with an idea, and as long as it makes him look good or is cloaked in the appropriate form of Christianese, he goes right along with it, even if it is completely ridiculous.

Recent interview -

Jim Bob: it's normal to be a young person who faces temptation. We all struggle with it, and have to find ways to resist and make smart decisions about how to live a good, Christian life.

Michelle: SATAN IS ENTERING YOUR BRAIN CELLS TO TEMPT YOU. HE IS HANDCUFFING YOU TO THE GATES OF HELL AND DISTRACTING YOU FROM GOD. YOUR THOUGHTS AND VERY SOUL MUST BELONG TO YOUR PARENTS AT ALL TIMES. YOU MUST ALWAYS BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE BY OTHERS AND YOUR MIND CAN NEVER BE YOUR OWN IN ORDER TO BE SAVED BY GOD.

Jim Bob: It's exactly as Michelle says.

None of this was an exaggeration, by the way, that excerpt happened almost word for word. ;)

Jim Bob has his own problems, but I have no doubt in my mind at this point that if Michelle wasn't in the picture, if she wasn't there to constantly insist that her daughters are no greater than the sum of their reproductive organs, then the girls would have no problem convincing Jim Bob to let them have more options in life, such as going to school and getting jobs.

Again, your assertion, if true, should be easily proven.

Since you are the one who adamantly believes the adults are getting paid individual checks, I'd expect you to be the one to do the research and provide that data.

IMO, the married kids are getting paid in their own JB determined currency: home rentals, job connections, the use of a plane, college for Joe (unmarried), car lot.

I HAVE done research. I've shown how it works with other situations AND I have explained that pooling assets to limit the risk of buying property/moving forward with business plans does not mean one is kept from receiving their pay. Not to mention, the assertion that the children would be "living high without their parents gifting them houses" has been proven wrong by me up thread when I showed that, based on how reality TV pays the regulars, there's no way that they're walking away with more than $23000 a season each, and that's REALLY stretching it.

But, again, that returns to how this is a widely held myth and anyone who questions it is attacked. There is NO data proving even how much the Duggars are paid, let alone the break down. But other TLC shows (as well as the shows on other networks) have NOT just paid the parents when the children are of the age of majority. AND there's absolutely nothing except the speculation that JB and Michelle are masterminds bent on controlling their children for life to prove the MARRIED children and their spouses are not paid for their appearances.

Typically speaking, the families in their religion are taught to shun those who reject the teachings (with the possible exception of married girls, since their headship makes faith related choices). I don't know how many families WOULD shun their children, but some (like the Kellers) have.

I am sorry, but how have the Kellers shunned their children? I am assuming you are talking about Suzanne the one who had a child out of wedlock? Haven't we seen pictures of her with them recently and with Anna and Josh and their kids? So, what am I missing here? how has she be shunned?

I HAVE done research. I've shown how it works with other situations AND I have explained that pooling assets to limit the risk of buying property/moving forward with business plans does not mean one is kept from receiving their pay. Not to mention, the assertion that the children would be "living high without their parents gifting them houses" has been proven wrong by me up thread when I showed that, based on how reality TV pays the regulars, there's no way that they're walking away with more than $23000 a season each, and that's REALLY stretching it.

But, again, that returns to how this is a widely held myth and anyone who questions it is attacked. There is NO data proving even how much the Duggars are paid, let alone the break down. But other TLC shows (as well as the shows on other networks) have NOT just paid the parents when the children are of the age of majority. AND there's absolutely nothing except the speculation that JB and Michelle are masterminds bent on controlling their children for life to prove the MARRIED children and their spouses are not paid for their appearances.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

A family limited partnership is a type of business that allows you to pool assets/money to limit risk in a business proposition. But it DOES NOT say that people aren't able to be paid.

That's right, but the general partner controls that.

That's right, but the general partner controls that.

The GP only controls the assets IN the limited partnership. That means they control the business or the properties. And, the income AS WELL AS income tax are distributed among the partners (unless they're under the age of 14, when the parents take on the child's taxes as part of their own). Any assets held that are non-business assets (such as large quantities of money, which TLC pay would be) are tax liabilities. Not to mention, the cases when LFP are not set up as businesses (which distributing the funds from TLC would not constitute as), they're set up as trusts. Obviously the Duggars put the houses and such under the trust, and they'll stay under the GP's control until his/her death, when the estate will be transferred to the children without being responsible for estate tax.

The assertion that the LFP would be set up to control the pay of all the children doesn't make financial sense. Especially if all the children would be responsible for paying income tax on their share of the assets, yet they were unable to access any income.

edited cause I "corrected a mistake" that wasn't actually a mistake... stupid dyslexia....

^^^^^^^THIS THIS THIS

I wish I could like it more than once. The logistics of screwing each of the kids over so JB could take their paychecks is so over the top and unrealistic.

I'd also like to add calling BS on the Duggars making TONS of money on the show. Yes, they make a nice chunk but it's not millions of dollars and it does have to be divided between TLC and production staff before it trickles down to the family.

Same with endorsements... I think the general idea that they are making bank off of all these endorsements is laughable. Couple thousand at most.

Most of the Duggar money probably comes from Jim Bob's real estate investments... not the show.

Here's a good one. The Duggars are a fine, upstanding, wholesome Christian family, and we are just a bunch of evil, hateful, spiteful, mean, jealous harpies out to get them for no reason.

This one seriously fucked up family, and I don't think we will ever really know what's fact and what's myth. If they weren't hell bent on turning America into a theocracy and promoting I wouldn't give a damn about them.

Oh, and, I seem to have entered the twilight zone. Some of these post are thisclose to leghumping. WTF??

Realistically, the Duggars are not as bad as we think. They're horrible people - and certainly nowhere near the "wholesome christian family" they portray. As with every family... there are some skeletons hidden in that prayer closet.

It's way more fun to assume the worst and snark on it though. :nenner:

My favorite rumors:

The Oprah rumor

The kids all make up their own courting rules (Jesus doesn't like liars, Michelle)

We will be happy with any number of children that the lord decides to bless us with ( no, you won't Jill/Anna/Michelle. You all want tons and tons....and want to out do each other. You will grift if the tlc military net wagon runs out).

Jana and Tim Teobow. My all time fav

The bolded! YES a thousand times. They keep repeating that mantra over and over again, but I'm certain that a lot of them would feel guilty if they were only able to have 2 or 3 children. Of course, a QF mother must love the children she already has, but when you are raised to think that children are a literal blessing from GOD; I'm sure some women would feel like God punished them or didn't bless them as much as he blessed other families.

Here's a good one. The Duggars are a fine, upstanding, wholesome Christian family, and we are just a bunch of evil, hateful, spiteful, mean, jealous harpies out to get them for no reason.

This one seriously fucked up family, and I don't think we will ever really know what's fact and what's myth. If they weren't hell bent on turning America into a theocracy and promoting I wouldn't give a damn about them.

Oh, and, I seem to have entered the twilight zone. Some of these post are thisclose to leghumping. WTF??

To be fair, your comment is illustrating those very qualities you listed.[emoji53]

Here's a bad FJ myth/rumor: that JB said sex with M is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. I find that one hard to believe! I started watching around Josh's engagement and early specials before that, and I've seen nearly all the episodes (including everything on Netflix that was scrubbed), but I don't recall this being said :evil-eye:

Here's a bad FJ myth/rumor: that JB said sex with M is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. I find that one hard to believe! I started watching around Josh's engagement and early specials before that, and I've seen nearly all the episodes (including everything on Netflix that was scrubbed), but I don't recall this being said :evil-eye:

If he said that, which I doubt, Michelle should be mad. I would be furious if I had a husband and he said that.

In addition, I do get sick of the whole speculation (stated as fact) that Jim Bob and Josh are poor lovers. We have no idea about their sex lives, other than that they active engage in PIV sex with the hope of having additional children.

In addition, I do get sick of the whole speculation (stated as fact) that Jim Bob and Josh are poor lovers. We have no idea about their sex lives, other than that they active engage in PIV sex with the hope of having additional children.

Agreed! They've revealed TMI that debunks that myth :ew: :ew:

I called out the poster (who must have been 13) that said that in the thread right when it happened and they admitted they made it up. :roll:

Another one I don't believe is that Anna and Josh are so overwhelmed with their kids that Jana/Jinger/Joy have to regularly travel to DC to help. I think Anna has zero problems handling her children and the supposed frequent visits by the girls is some combination of fun visiting family and whatever political stuff these people do. They like to campaign/rally for conservative causes and Ann and Josh are in an ideal location for it. That they happen to help with the kids while they're there is the kind of stuff loving families do.

Another one I don't believe is that Anna and Josh are so overwhelmed with their kids that Jana/Jinger/Joy have to regularly travel to DC to help. I think Anna has zero problems handling her children and the supposed frequent visits by the girls is some combination of fun visiting family and whatever political stuff these people do. They like to campaign/rally for conservative causes and Ann and Josh are in an ideal location for it. That they happen to help with the kids while they're there is the kind of stuff loving families do.

I often imagine the "frequent" visits (which really aren't that frequent from what I've seen) are more because Anna and the girls are close, and it gives the girls an opportunity to get away from the madness of home for a few days.

Agreed with that one too. I'm about Jana's age and when my nephew was born last year, I took a few days off work to go to my SIL and brother's place. They live about 2 hours away from my place so I stayed there instead of going back home every night. I'm pretty certain they could manage a baby on their own, but I just wanted to spend time with the new little one and help them the best I could. And we are far from being fundies. I did that a few times actually, not just when he was born.

And I'm pretty sure that considering the environment in the TTH, it must be nice for the Jslaves to be away from a few days. And Anna must like the company too.

Jana has body image issues, thinks she is fat, that's why she went to weight watchers. Or was chubby and went to weight watchers.

We know that Jana went to weight watchers with Michelle. Michelle was feebly attempting to lose baby weight (and then would have had to stop weight watchers because she got pregnant again). We know this due to footage from the show (with JB tagging along while making jokes about candy). And maybe because of JB/Michelle's first book. What we do not know is why. It could be that Jana volunteered to gow with Michelle who needed a 'buddy' along. In weight watchers (I've been) you have to be older than 16 and above a certain weight. You can be in a healthy weight range and if you want to lose say five or ten pounds, you can join. It is also likely Jana picked up some cooking tips for eating healthy. Yes, we see the family with their starchy foods but have you noticed that you rarely see the older girls eating a lot of that stuff? Or if they do it might be smaller portions.

Every last one of the kids is 100% on board with their parents' beliefs. OR every last one is quietly hating life and staying for the "easy" life.

More likely: they're all sometimes 100% on board and sometimes hate the life that's been chosen for them. The kidults stick around for a variety of reasons, not just because Daddy has the money. That's not to say that they're all mostly happy with the life they've been born into, more that any given teenager/kidult knows that sticking around has benefits. (And sticking around doesn't mean they're puppets.)

I also don't believe that JB really hates any of his kids. He has his favorites, obviously, but I'd be surprised if he were so cold as to actively dislike one or another.

Of course, I don't believe that Michelle gives a shit about her kids unless babies are involved, but that's not a myth.

Jana has body image issues, thinks she is fat, that's why she went to weight watchers. Or was chubby and went to weight watchers.

We know that Jana went to weight watchers with Michelle. Michelle was feebly attempting to lose baby weight (and then would have had to stop weight watchers because she got pregnant again). We know this due to footage from the show (with JB tagging along while making jokes about candy). And maybe because of JB/Michelle's first book. What we do not know is why. It could be that Jana volunteered to gow with Michelle who needed a 'buddy' along. In weight watchers (I've been) you have to be older than 16 and above a certain weight. You can be in a healthy weight range and if you want to lose say five or ten pounds, you can join. It is also likely Jana picked up some cooking tips for eating healthy. Yes, we see the family with their starchy foods but have you noticed that you rarely see the older girls eating a lot of that stuff? Or if they do it might be smaller portions.

I totally agree. It was more than evident that Jana went to WW to be sort of a moral support person to J'chelle. Suddenly she's been diagnosed as having a full-blown eating disorder to having been sexually abused in order to explain why she was going to weight watchers. :roll:

Archived