IGNORED

Widely Accepted Duggar Myths

veron1que

So I love FJ because we all have different opinions on things the Duggars do or don't do. However, I think sometimes we often treat commonly held beliefs about the Duggars as hard and true facts (even when there isn't any evidence).

So for fun, I thought I'd start a topic where we can share some of the "Widely Accepted Duggar Myths" here on FJ that we don't agree with.

My personal favorite is that Jim Bob and Michelle won't let Jinger and Jana court because they need them as houseslaves.

What unfounded Duggar facts do you disagree with?

{Also! If you have hard evidence that supports one of these "Myths" please share!}

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one that I see with some frequency is that Jim-Boob home churches so he can declare his home a church and doesn't have to pay taxes on it. It's my understanding that there's never been any hard evidence of this, but it loves to get repeated.

There's the old story about an unaired Oprah episode where she supposedly offered Jana and maybe some of the other older kids scholarships and JB refused. I'm not sure where this one started. TWoP maybe?

There's the old story about an unaired Oprah episode where she supposedly offered Jana and maybe some of the other older kids scholarships and JB refused. I'm not sure where this one started. TWoP maybe?

Hmmm. The unaired Oprah episode does have a reputation. I always hear that the unaired Oprah show addressed Josh's molestation accusations.

Hmmm. The unaired Oprah episode does have a reputation. I always hear that the unaired Oprah show addressed Josh's molestation accusations.

Yep, that was the next one I was going to list, the infamous "sin in the camp" allegations.

The only Duggar rumor I found believable was the Oprah one about her offering Jill and Jana scholarships to a real, accredited school and Jim Bob/Michelle turned it down, but since enough people have told me that that one started on TwoP, I let go of that one.

I absolutely do not believe at all that Jana isn't being allowed to court so she can stay raising the kids...I think that's one of the most far fetched myths.

I don't believe the Josh molestation stories either...it wouldn't shock me if it turns out that something like that is going on in the family, because isolated religious communities are generally fucked up, but I've never seen any reason to believe it.

I dislike everything about Jill, but I do not believe that her quick engagement when Jessa had been much courting longer was because she wanted to be the first Duggar daughter to marry/wanted to steal Jessa's thunder.

I don't think that Jessa ever seriously threatened to elope, nor do I believe that Jim Bob has ever had any fear that Jessa would leave the fold if he didn't let her marry Ben. If anything, I'd say Jessa and Jill are the sure bets for life-long religious devotion.

Jill and Derrick met as they stated--Jim Bob introduced them via phone and it took off from there. There was no meeting year before, and Derrick didn't arrange this whole conspiracy to get Jim Bob to be his prayer partner in the hopes that he'd randomly decide he'd be a good match for Jill.

I've never believe that Derrick isn't as religious as any Duggar and I'm glad people are starting to let go of the dream that he will be Jill's ticket out of fundieland. :lol:

I've never believe that Derrick isn't as religious as any Duggar and I'm glad people are starting to let go of the dream that he will be Jill's ticket out of fundieland. :lol:

I think we all project a lot on Duggar pairings! I also don't believe the claims that Ben has had previous romantic experience.

OR that Jessa didn't really like Ben and only starting courting him to get out of the TTH.

I think we all project a lot on Duggar pairings! I also don't believe the claims that Ben has had previous romantic experience.

OR that Jessa didn't really like Ben and only starting courting him to get out of the TTH.

I don't think that was her motivation for courting and then marrying him, but part of me does think that if their courtship hadn't been made public so early and therefore had to be a storyline for the show, there's a good chance Jessa would have ended it once the initial novelty of her first crush wore off. They were kind of forced to spend time together because of the show, and he grew on her. There's zero facts to back this up, just my gut feeling.

Jim Bob has lifetime health insurance due to his short stint in the state lege.

So that's NOT true? That makes me very happy. Though now I'm really surprised at all the dental care...I would have thought Jim Bob was too cheap for that.

So that's NOT true? That makes me very happy. Though now I'm really surprised at all the dental care...I would have thought Jim Bob was too cheap for that.

They have to look nice so they can obtain spouses and make more babies. That is how the money comes in.

Plus, I suspect TLC provides them with health care... Or if not, at least a sizable chunk of cash toward their healthcare.

I do believe Jana and Jinger are heavily discouraged from courting right now since they ARE the eldest sister-moms, and a lot of put on them. All it takes is JB saying the good lawd hadn't laid it on his hawrt, and any interested guys are nixed. Funny how what god wants always lines up with what the guys in charge want.

Not at all. Jim Bob would have been offered insurance through the state during his period of service and it would have been the same as any state employee. He didn't serve long enough to become "vested" into their employee plan so he wouldn't get any benefits from his stint.

So many of these things drive me insane because there are so many legitimate reasons to hate on them that you don't need to bring up these never proven rumors.

One that I hear a lot and gets posted often on ONTD is that Michelle's uterus prolapsed twice.

So many of these things drive me insane because there are so many legitimate reasons to hate on them that you don't need to bring up these never proven rumors.

One that I hear a lot and gets posted often on ONTD is that Michelle's uterus prolapsed twice.

Are you the ONTD Duggar Post Op?

If that woman never had a prolapse I will repent and become a fundie right now. Michelle having escaped prolapse during 25 years of childbearing is virtually impossible. Each vaginal delivery increases the chance of prolapse, add to that the fact that this woman never let her body recover and snap back to shape long enough between pregnancies.

Prolapses are so common that I would be way more skeptical that she didn't have one. They are often fixed right away through surgical means. No shame--prolapses are common enough. This one shouldn't even be a rumor because it is a natural, semi-common consequence of vaginal birth.

That JB and Michelle are criminal masterminds.

That reminds me--one of the rumors I disagree with is that Michelle is the mastermind behind everything JB does.

That without the TLC gravy-train the Duggars would have nothing.

Whatever feelings anyone may have about Boob- he is incredibly smart with his investments and has been since before TV.

That without the TLC gravy-train the Duggars would have nothing.

Whatever feelings anyone may have about Boob- he is incredibly smart with his investments and has been since before TV.

I would count in a lot of luck too. Out of the real estate he owned pre-TLC, the one that made the most money was the one a company wanted to put a cellphone tower on. No way he could've predicted that. And it's not as if real estate (especially at that time) was considered a bad investment, so I'm not ready to treat him like he bought Apple stock at a low and held onto it.

Archived