IGNORED

What's the deal with Jana and John David?

apandaaries

A few discussions in other threads have sparked some questions for me (and if it seems like this discussion is too tightly linked to another thread, feel free to merge). What is the deal with Jana and John David? This first set of twins appear to be some of the quietest in the family, and obviously their love lives (or lack thereof) have been the topic of much discussion. What are your theories?

Personally, I'm leaning toward a combination of naturally shy personalities mixed with early and ferocious "training" in the way of Gothard. With their advancing age (by fundie standards), they are already naturally limiting the size of their families, without having to indulge in "sinful" birth control. I suspect this is due to the extreme conditions of their childhood. Michelle's three course rice meals may have sounded funny to some, but I bet her children were anxious and food insecure (see also: Josh's ever-increasing waistline). Jana sticking around the TTH has the added benefit of ensuring that some younger siblings are still cared for, despite Michelle's lunacy. Gotta be honest, though -- the longer she waits around, the more frightened I'd imagine she'd be of her wedding night. Zero to sixty (sexty?) is quite the accelerated learning curve -- I'd be terrified if it were me, to be honest. John-David can also ensure that his siblings are doing at least okay, if not well. [Don't know the details, but wasn't there also a hard working Bates son who served as a kind of lending center for his siblings? Could be wrong, but JD strikes me as a similar sturdy, reliable figure, if not the most mature amongst men.]

I'd really love to hear your favorite theories about the twins.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Jana is remaining single by choice and not by force. I hope JB isn't passing guys who are interested in Jana because she is too needed at home. If she's home because it's the only way for her to limit her family size good for her!

I don't know about JD. He isn't attractive but he has a lot of great qualities. He seems like a good old country boy. He works, he can fix stuff around the house, he is just missing a few head of cattle or some farm land and he'd be like most of the guys I grew up around. He also may truly not want the stress of being a father and a husband. He seems to have a pretty practical mind so you know he's thought about how much money he would need.

I think it's a combination of things. The early poverty AND the indoctrination and lack of enough food, the poor education, the increasing craziness of the parents... these two might feel as if it is their duty to protect the younger ones from some of that, or, they may just feel that marriage leads to that and they want no parts of it. If avoidance is their choice, good for them. If it's Jim Bob's choice, Phooey on him.

I've always had the feeling that Jana isn't going to get married until John David does. I have wondered if maybe J.D. is scaring off any potential suitors Jana might have. Whatever the case, John David seems pretty happy doing his own thing not being married. Jim Bob practically begged girls to send their information to him if they were interested in courting J.D. so I was surprised that Josiah's relationship was announced yesterday instead of his.

I hope John David secretly does live in his own home and isn't stuck in the boy's dorm at his parent's house still, even if it wouldn't be fair to the girls, at least 1 Duggar kid would have a taste of being single and free.

I have this feeling that Jana is trying to stay single longer until the youngest are old enough to take care of themselves. If they are willing to marry off Josiah,then Joy could be next! I think Jinger will marry when boob offers a candidate that isn't a complete square. That may take awhile, but i think Jana is just way too attached to her siblings, she genuinely loves and cares for them over herself. .or she is waiting so she isn't forced to raise a big familyagain. I can't figure out JD. i think he is either terrified of women because they are apparently evil and hard to train, or he just wants to wait until he can provide a good life for his wife and not force her to pop out 10 babies. I guess it depends on his personality.

1. I don't think Jana is needed at home

2. I don't think she's staying single because of her younger siblings.

3. I don't think she is trying to limit her family size.

4. I don't think JD is scaring is off her suitors :? .

My theory is that Jana hasn't found the right guy(and vice versa). It happens. Not all fundies get married in their early twenties.

I can't figure out either of them. They seem to guard themselves and never reveal much. I think they are both really practical and will choose partners with that in mind. I can't see Jana picking someone like Ben. Being her twin, I think JD will be harder on a prospective suitor than JB will, maybe there have been some guys that have not made the cut. Seems like JD is always working and doesn't have the time for courting.

Jana and JD are the most skilled and useful Duggars. IMO, they were bypassed because they were both too integral to the day to day operations in Duggarville. Josh, Jill, Jessa...all extras and not all that useful beyond being told what to do. Josh wanted out, same with Jessa. Jill was a follower-

They are at home because:

1) They are needed, are the leaders.

2) They do not want to live their personal, private lives and relationships on camera.

They'll both wait until TLC is gone before moving forward, IMO.

Jill was an "extra" and not "useful". Before the "poor Jana" meme took off, Jill seemed like the head sister mom. Jinger and Jessa have also raised their siblings. It wasn't all Jana.

1. Friends home school the little kids

2. I'm predict that JD and Jana's courtships weddings will be televised.

Jill was an "extra" and not "useful". Before the "poor Jana" meme took off, Jill seemed like the head sister mom. Jinger and Jessa have also raised their siblings. It wasn't all Jana.

1. Friends home school the little kids

2. I'm willing to bet that JD and Jana's courtships weddings will be televised.

Jill is the most comfortable on camera.

Jessa was the teacher.

I wonder if Jana thinks the younger kids will get the same discipline she did if Jboob and Michelle run things, so she's staying around a bit longer. She also doesn't seem to like the cameras/dog and pony show that much.

Here's my (probably very uncharitable) perspective.

Michelle has admitted that the earlier years were the most difficult for her. She wasn't terribly organized, would have moments of being completely overwhelmed by stress and she and Jim-Bob were still forming and changing their family values. And they were poorer, and they were basically experimenting on their kids when it came to homeschooling, etc. It sounds like stuff was much less stable than it is now.

Josh has always been in the role of being the firstborn son and seems pretty confident (if not downright arrogant) due to that special position, and Jill was described as the most easy-going baby. So I suspect it was Jana and John-David, as the "middle children" in the early years, who bore the brunt of Jim-Bob and Michelle's evolving parenting style and experienced more instability than the later children ever had to.

Not to say that they don't just naturally have shy personalities or perhaps dislike being on camera, but sometimes we forget that their childhood is experience was waaaay different from Josie's.

Here's my (probably very uncharitable) perspective.

Michelle has admitted that the earlier years were the most difficult for her. She wasn't terribly organized, would have moments of being completely overwhelmed by stress and she and Jim-Bob were still forming and changing their family values. And they were poorer, and they were basically experimenting on their kids when it came to homeschooling, etc. It sounds like stuff was much less stable than it is now.

Josh has always been in the role of being the firstborn son and seems pretty confident (if not downright arrogant) due to that special position, and Jill was described as the most easy-going baby. So I suspect it was Jana and John-David, as the "middle children" in the early years, who bore the brunt of Jim-Bob and Michelle's evolving parenting style and experienced more instability than the later children ever had to.

Not to say that they don't just naturally have shy personalities or perhaps dislike being on camera, but sometimes we forget that their childhood is experience was waaaay different from Josie's.

Yeah, they just seem to expect that people will overlook them, but know that they will be needed behind the scenes. It's sort of like middle child syndrome, but exponentially magnified.

As the second and third children, I'm sure they've seen it all. The only way out is marriage without being shunned. I can't imagine Jana having a bunch of kids. I wish she could make that choice not to have kids if she wants, but she can't.

If they're secretly courting, maybe it's at the same time. It can be a double twin wedding. More ratings and money. I'm sure Janas wedding episode will get a lot of viewers.

Jana is picky.

Agree on this. She reminds me of me, i'm contemporary with them and single as well, i'm super picky and i don't wanna date just because... I want a genuinely good smart ambitious sweet guy and that hasn't happened, i'm also very private and only had occasional dates with the exception on a boyfriend i had recently and i didn't introduce him to anyone in my family just some of my friends once because things didn't work out and i'm not afraid of moving on if it's not the right one. Anyway, i think being fundies that personality magnifies and it's not the right time for them. I don't think they'll stay single, sometimes it takes a little harder to find someone.. love isn't around the corner for every human being on earth and it's super annoying when people keep asking when are you gonna find someone, relax, some of us actually want a type of person and we're not willing to settle for any less.

I relate to Jana in a weird way. I'm the oldest of three girls and the only perpetually single one. I'll probably be the last of my siblings to get married, if I ever find anyone at all. Jana has looks I'll never have, though, so I'm sure she at least gets interest. Hopefully her fundie lifestyle enables her to not feel embarrassed about her younger siblings getting way ahead of her the way I do. Being 25 and perpetually single can be rough. It's one thing when you're in your early 20s. Once you reach mid-twenties, everyone around you is getting engaged and married, and people begin to wonder what's wrong with you.

I could see Jana and JD, maybe Jinger and who knows which of the youngers, living out their days in a large, comfortable home in NWA. Move from TTH and live in an undisclosed location.

JD would do all his various activities. He would be very active in the community, maybe become mayor of Tontitown and hold that position for years. As a pilot he would travel a lot.

Jana would become a gourmet cook, perhaps even a cooking show or cookbook. She would probably still be active in some kind of mission work, traveling a lot, maybe something like become the director of JTTH.

Jinger would purse photography, have a darkroom on premises, maybe start breaking free enough to wear jeans. She might start growing herbs, I can see her drinking her own herbal teas.

Never marry, all die virgins but do things in adulthood to make the world a bit better place.

No politics whatsoever.

I think JD has a good life right now and no interest in complicating it with a wife and children. He gets to fly his plane and seems to actually interact with outsiders. He seems like he has a lot of freedom for a Duggar. I also think the idea of a televised courtship/wedding doesn't appeal to him.

I'm not sure about Jana but I think they need her at home. While the little ones are getting older the Lost Girls haven't been trained the same way the older ones were trained to cook, clean and care for themselves/others. My son is around the same age as Josie and while he's definitely able to do a lot of things on his own there are definitely areas he still needs help. And I would imagine Josie's been babied a lot more and is probably more dependent them him. I don't see Michelle stepping up and being a mother again and I don't think Jinger or Joy have much interest in caring for their younger siblings so a lot of that would fall on Jana. Plus there is cooking and cleaning to be done. With all those teenage boys I would imagine cooking enough food for meals is quite the undertaking.

Jana and JD are the most skilled and useful Duggars. IMO, they were bypassed because they were both too integral to the day to day operations in Duggarville. Josh, Jill, Jessa...all extras and not all that useful beyond being told what to do. Josh wanted out, same with Jessa. Jill was a follower-

They are at home because:

1) They are needed, are the leaders.

2) They do not want to live their personal, private lives and relationships on camera.

They'll both wait until TLC is gone before moving forward, IMO.

I think Jana and JD probably are the workhorses of the family and not as expendable as the other young adult Duggars. Jill must have done as much work as Jana with regard to childcare and housework, but as the favorite daughter, JB and Michelle weren't going to begrudge her her happiness. Jessa seems like she was half-assing it in terms of work for the past couple of years. She was clearly ready to leave home some time ago. Jana, on the other hand, seems like she is so used to putting others first that she really tries her best as a SAHD, which makes her more valuable in that regard than Jessa. With JD, I don't really know what's up. Perhaps being so isolated from normal social contact with women is such that he may simply be stuck in the "girls have cooties" stage, and sees no need to court.

I think JD has a good life right now and no interest in complicating it with a wife and children. He gets to fly his plane and seems to actually interact with outsiders. He seems like he has a lot of freedom for a Duggar. I also think the idea of a televised courtship/wedding doesn't appeal to him.

I'm not sure about Jana but I think they need her at home. While the little ones are getting older the Lost Girls haven't been trained the same way the older ones were trained to cook, clean and care for themselves/others.

This is where I am WRT JD. I actually think he's slipping away from the rigid fundamentalism of his parents. I suspect he lives on his own, watches television, makes his own friends. This may be why JimBob is in such a sweat to get Josiah married off - can't have another son becoming independent and getting ideas. Better to settle him down quickly with a wife and kids.

I'm not sure if Jana staying single has more to do with not having met someone or something else, but I strongly feel that Michelle and JimBob do NOT want to give up the help that she provides to the younger siblings. I really think Michelle would be lost if she had to parent the little ones herself. It would not surprise me to see Joy-Anna bail out the way Jessa did, and if that happened then they'd really need Jana.

Maybe Jana is just too f***ing embarassed by her parents to even bother to bring some poor guy into the Duggar circus. Maybe she doesn't want super parental and sibling involvement in a relationship - seriously, could you imagine JB&M horning in on your texts and phone calls and private conversations at the age of 25?

These parents are sick, like really, truly sick in the head and if I knew that they were going to be all up in my face while dating, I would stay single too.

This is where I am WRT JD. I actually think he's slipping away from the rigid fundamentalism of his parents. I suspect he lives on his own, watches television, makes his own friends. This may be why JimBob is in such a sweat to get Josiah married off - can't have another son becoming independent and getting ideas. Better to settle him down quickly with a wife and kids.

I'm not sure if Jana staying single has more to do with not having met someone or something else, but I strongly feel that Michelle and JimBob do NOT want to give up the help that she provides to the younger siblings. I really think Michelle would be lost if she had to parent the little ones herself. It would not surprise me to see Joy-Anna bail out the way Jessa did, and if that happened then they'd really need Jana.

I've never understood why some people think that JD is leading this independent bachelor life. JD has never shown any indication (at least not onscreen) that he questions how he's been raised. JB and Michelle may have checked out, but they're still quite legalistic, which means no son leaves JB's "umbrella of protection" no matter how old he is until he gets married. If JD can't even have his own social media account, why would he be trusted to live alone without any "accountability partners'?

I guess I just feel that if John-David was toeing the Duggar party line, he would be on the show much more, and there would be more news about him. They don't hesitate to trumpet what each of the kids are doing, as long as they approve of it.

I haven't been a faithful watcher of the show over the years, but I've caught reruns and seen all the highlights. This season I've been recording and paying attention, and I'm always drawn to Jana and JD. I have the wedding episode on right now and watching Jana in the (I don't know what they're called) personal interviews...she's always got that smile on her face. Always. It's only the rare camera shot where you see her without that Stepford wife smile....similar thing with JD. I agree with whomever it was above that mentioned they got the experimental dose of the kool-aid as children so their demeanors are totally different than the younger children.

I'm a conspiracy theorist so I don't believe any of the kids have had a "true" choice in mate. I believe the parents have found the ones they want and then use subliminal tactics to get whichever kid it is to turn their attention. I think Jana and JD's twin bond is disruptive to Big Daddy and Mama. They are as close as they are allowed to be and that's enough for each of them. If Big Daddy ever did find a mate he liked...I think their natural intimacy probably got in the way so they became the family workhorses. I'm sure JD runs whatever business (tax shelter) Big Daddy has, as well as doing his own thing and Jana catches all the slack in the home. If she's not raising babies, she's cleaning, she's cooking, she's running errands, buying groceries and dry goods...etc.

Honestly they are my favourite two. The natural redneck in me admires JD a little bit ;-)

Archived