IGNORED

Kids' Messy Hair

KelseyAnn

The hair problems you describe are common if the hair is too clean. When styling hair, its better to do second or later day styling, meaning you wash the hair and dont style it until the next day. Hair shouldn't be washed more than every other day, anyways, because it's really bad for your scalp and causes your body to produce too much oil (which is why people complain they can't skip a day with washing their hair). If you can't wait for whatever reason, take a bit of coconut oil and run it through her hair before styling it. You can also try sea salt hair spray like this one instyle.com/fashion/best-sea-salt-sprays-every-hair-type to add some texture before you style.

another thing I do is wash my hair in the Afternoon/early evening, it helps better distribute the natural oils.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they have thin, light hair that gets messy very easily. I know mine does. It would be nice if they coudl just put that hair in braids it would stay clean and neat longer. But for some reason these girls must always wear dresses and always wear their hair down. I dont get it either tbh

I know almost all little children play hairdresser sometime in their lives. I secretly wish that one of the younger girls just cut her hair completely of. I'm surprised that something like that hasn't happened yet. Do they hide all the scissors? :lol:

I know almost all little children play hairdresser sometime in their lives. I secretly wish that one of the younger girls just cut her hair completely of. I'm surprised that something like that hasn't happened yet. Do they hide all the scissors? :lol:

Or maybe even one of the boys do it for them! When I was little my brother used to cut all my dolls hair off to the scalp. One day he decided it might be a fun thing to do to his sister. And we had family pictures scheduled for the next day. Everyone in the pic looks wonderful until you get to my teary eyes and half bald head! :lol:

Or maybe even one of the boys do it for them! When I was little my brother used to cut all my dolls hair off to the scalp. One day he decided it might be a fun thing to do to his sister. And we had family pictures scheduled for the next day. Everyone in the pic looks wonderful until you get to my teary eyes and half bald head! :lol:

My mama says the reason that I never cut my own hair was because I cut all my dolls' hair, including the expensive porcelain collectible dolls that my Mimi got for me (oops)... and the feathers on our cocker spaniel's legs (my dad still reminds me of how the groomer looked at Malley's "haircut" and said "Oh my....")

So far, LF hasn't offered to cut her hair... but if she does then it'll grow back, just so long as she doesn't cut herself in the process. :? Sadly, I don't think Boob and J'Chelle will take that attitude if one of the little girls does it.

Anna gets away w "shorter" hair. I think some of those girls should consider it.

As a kid (and now) I had fine stringy hair. Didn't take much for it to look a mess. How this was resolved was I usually wore pig tails or braids. Also before pics of any kind (including the "natural" shots) my mom made sure my hair was not a wreck. All the scenes are set up. Most of the scenes are shot and re-shot at TTH and there's the time to run a brush across those little ragamuffins.

When I was a kid I had a antromorphic hedhehog stuffed toy. I gave him a reversed mohawk long at the sides short in the middle xD

You would think one of the first things the little ones would've been taught is that cleanliness is next to godliness. I think that Jill still has her buddy system going even though she is out of the house and she drilled it into her buddies what I typed before. The rest are going feral.

My toddler is messy, too. She gets a bath and clean pajamas every night. I dress her in a clean outfit every morning and put her hair in pigtails out of her face. When I pick her up, her hair is a mess and her clothes are grubby. Her hands and face are clean, though, so I guess there's that.

I think part of the problem is they haven't seem to redistribute the buddy system. If two of the older buddies left, those younger kids need to go to someone else. I mean according to THEIR rules, I don't agree with this nonsense but whatever. Also I don't understand why Jinger still has some of the older lost boys and like one girl as her buddies. Those older boys can fend for themselves, so why has she not been given a new buddy?

I think the real problem is that none of the older buddies were ever taught how to raise children and just had to wing it. We complain about how these kids should be doing a lot of this for themselves, but I can see how the older girls never taught them that. It would have been much easier to just do it themselves to get that one of many jobs out of the way. They probably didn't realize that they would slowly need to let the kids do some things for themselves so they can learn.

In so many parts of their culture growing up is treated as something that happens in a split second because of one event. Like how they are not even allowed to leave the house alone and then suddenly bam they're married and can live by themselves. They treat growing up as a series of events, and not as a progression of skills and your mindset.

I think part of the problem is they haven't seem to redistribute the buddy system. If two of the older buddies left, those younger kids need to go to someone else. I mean according to THEIR rules, I don't agree with this nonsense but whatever. Also I don't understand why Jinger still has some of the older lost boys and like one girl as her buddies. Those older boys can fend for themselves, so why has she not been given a new buddy?

I think the real problem is that none of the older buddies were ever taught how to raise children and just had to wing it. We complain about how these kids should be doing a lot of this for themselves, but I can see how the older girls never taught them that. It would have been much easier to just do it themselves to get that one of many jobs out of the way. They probably didn't realize that they would slowly need to let the kids do some things for themselves so they can learn.

In so many parts of their culture growing up is treated as something that happens in a split second because of one event. Like how they are not even allowed to leave the house alone and then suddenly bam they're married and can live by themselves. They treat growing up as a series of events, and not as a progression of skills and your mindset.

But given the age of the younger kids, do they still really NEED buddies? Jill took on her first buddy (Joy) at the age of 6. Given that fact, that would mean Jordyn is now old enough to have a buddy. There are no more infant/toddler Duggars therefore the buddies are not needed as much.

The Lost Girls are definitely capable of doing things like brushing their hair and teeth. They're not toddlers anymore.

But given the age of the younger kids, do they still really NEED buddies? Jill took on her first buddy (Joy) at the age of 6. Given that fact, that would mean Jordyn is now old enough to have a buddy. There are no more infant/toddler Duggars therefore the buddies are not needed as much.

The Lost Girls are definitely capable of doing things like brushing their hair and teeth. They're not toddlers anymore.

If they disbanded the buddy system, they'd be losing something that the Duggars are known for. Also, the JSlaves are the first line of defense so JB/M can pick and choose when they feel like parenting.

If they disbanded the buddy system, they'd be losing something that the Duggars are known for. Also, the JSlaves are the first line of defense so JB/M can pick and choose when they feel like parenting.

Exactly. The little kids don't need buddies, they need parents. The 6 youngest kids need JB and M to step up. There is no reason other than laziness, that JB and M cannot handle all needs from education, health care, manners and faith formation for the 6 youngest kids. From James up, little intervention should be needed.

It's obvious the males don't get buddies. If Jana

Justin is Jordyn's buddy. (Jessa's buddy team?) Remember him feeding her cold porridge for breakfast when everyone else was ignoring her? Overall, the boys haven't needed to step up to any sort of role in their buddy team because the older girls are there to do it. I suspect there are more examples like Justin but we don't see them because it makes Michelle look bad.

My sister had hair like most of the younger Duggar girls do. She would get knots so bad they had names and if anyone other than one of our grandmothers tried to get the knots out or plait her hair well... :lol:

This topic just reminded me how ridiculous J'chelle looked putting a bunch of baby lotion in 5 year old Josie's hair to give her J'chelle crunchy curls.

This topic just reminded me how ridiculous J'chelle looked putting a bunch of baby lotion in 5 year old Josie's hair to give her J'chelle crunchy curls.

I saw that and thought, even Michelle is smarter than that, I must have missed the bottle of hair product. Wth??

I can't believe the people that insist of thinking Michelle is some MOTY type. She merely exists in the same house with the little kids most of the time. She couldn't raise them without the older girls back in the day and that hasn't changed.

Even with fly-away hair as an excuse, it still doesn't excuse the grungy mismatched clothing that looks like it was scrounged out of a hamper or a pile on the floor. Michelle your jurisdiction needs to be those little ones. The whole house seems like chaos. There is no real routine or structure. I can't wait to see the behind the scenes episode. If they are honest, it should be good.

I 'WTF'ed at that too. Seriously, how much does a bottle of hair gel cost? Like 5 bucks for one of those jumbo ones at Wal-Mart?!

I get that they're little kids and their hair is gonna get messy from playing but that's why we put our little girls' hair up in a ponytail or braid or something, so even though they are playing, they still look somewhat presentable!

I saw that and thought, even Michelle is smarter than that, I must have missed the bottle of hair product. Wth??

I can't believe the people that insist of thinking Michelle is some MOTY type. She merely exists in the same house with the little kids most of the time. She couldn't raise them without the older girls back in the day and that hasn't changed.

Even with fly-away hair as an excuse, it still doesn't excuse the grungy mismatched clothing that looks like it was scrounged out of a hamper or a pile on the floor. Michelle your jurisdiction needs to be those little ones. The whole house seems like chaos. There is no real routine or structure. I can't wait to see the behind the scenes episode. If they are honest, it should be good.

Yes, this.

Be a mom, Mullet, not a baby factory. Your oldest daughters have done far, far more than they should ever have to (I'm going to include Joy as well because it seems that since Jill married, she's been promoted to J'Slave status.) BE A FREAKING MOM.

When my daughter was little and had long, fine hair, we made it a routine to braid her hair every night. In the morning, she unbraided it and was ready to go. She never had to start the day with matted or snarled hair and I think we avoided many potential tears from trying to brush through knots. Even sleeping with a pony tail would help. I wonder why no one seems to have thought of that at the TTH. (I have longish hair and I can't stand having it loose when I sleep.)

Never mind sleeping with it braided ... what about the older Js braiding theirs when cooking! Joy seems to be the only one with any concept of keeping her hair out of her face. I understanding liking your hair loose but seriously ... I guess I am talking about the same people who ride horses in long skirts and work on building sites in flip flops. (My hair is waist length. I wear it braided on the kitchen and in bed. I wear it in a bun to work. I enjoy wearing it out when it is appropriate.)

Does Gothard have a mandated preference for long, flowing, curly locks, VS tied or secured in a braid,bun or ponytail?

I 'WTF'ed at that too. Seriously, how much does a bottle of hair gel cost? Like 5 bucks for one of those jumbo ones at Wal-Mart?!

Styling gel is super cheap. I can usually get a big bottle at the dollar store.

Archived