IGNORED

Kids' Messy Hair

KelseyAnn

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My four year old loves to dress herself now. She picks out her own outfits and sometimes they are interesting. She likes to brush her hair and wear it down or with a headband. I only make sure she gets the tangles out of it. It does not look good after even 5 minutes of playing. I want her to be self-sufficient and have some freedom, so I let her have freedom depending on what we are doing that day. She has even gotten dressed and fixed her hair first thing. I want to encourage that. Also, she almost always manages to put her shoes on the wrong feet. :lol: If we are just going to the park or staying home, I don't see a problem with her looking a little disheveled.

If we are going to school, church, the store, etc., I make sure she is wearing a matching outfit and I fix her hair. She still manages to mess up her hair sometimes and she is a messy eater. There is no way I would let her appear on television without looking put together, but she is not a child that always looks clean or like she has a mother. :embarrassed: I do try to make her presentable.

These photo ops and THs are not surprises, that's why it is so surprising to see the girls disheveled so often.

My 4 year old looks a lot like Josie. I mean a LOT. I guess imagine her in boy clothes. Anyway, his hair gets ratty and tangles sometimes and he is the master of being filthy 5 minutes after he is dressed. However, like my mother always said (and geez she was right) you can tell the difference in new dirt and dirt that's been there a week. His tangled little curls glow like gold...dull lifeless hair is long dirty hair. These kids don't look like the type that get messy quick. They look like it's been building layers.

That's just so sweet.

I'm more concerned about everyone's filthy feet in that house. I know it's common to go barefoot at home, but I don't let anyone wear shoes in my house. The Duggars do, then they let their kids play outside barefoot, then they walk all over their counters. All of these kids constantly have black feet and that is disgusting.

Speaking specifically of Johannah and Jennifer. To me their hair looks fine. Not necessarily thick (well Hannie's does). I have hair like that. Had it as a kid. Heck, still have it at times. If the little girls are using the conditioners etc the older girls are it is weighing the hair down. My hair, when it was allowed to be long when I was a kid, was a stringy mess.

But I had a mother willing to cut it off.

I didn't have the whole 'daddy prefers long hair' syndrome going on.

So the lost girls are stuck with stringy hair as they run wild through the Duggar compound.

As for Josie - I have nothing. Absolutely nothing.

That's also the case for me, I've always had fine hair to the point where if it got really long, it looked stringy and clinged to my scalp, so even if I had just washed my hair, it looked like it was dirty. As it is, the longest I can let it grow is shoulder length, and even then, it has to be in layers to give it some volume. My guess is that the younger Duggar girls have that texture, and would look better if they got at least a trim with some layers, but that's not likely to happen because Daddy and their cult leader, Gothard prefers long hair.

To me, it's not just the hair, but that they're often barefoot outside, and end up walking across the counters with their blackened feet. Even among those who go barefoot inside the home, most do put on flip flops at least when going outside. Sometimes, the Lost Girls are barefoot all the time because nobody checks to see that they're wearing shoes when they leave the compound. It's especially noticeable with Jordyn who really has become forgotten when the "miracle baby" Josie was born.

The little girls' hair does look terrible. First they all need haircuts (if nothing else a trim--- and I'm including Jill and Jessa here) to make their hair look even and not stringy. Then they all need a lesson on the right product to put in and the right amount (Johannah's hair looks weighed down and greasy and could be solved with the right shampoo/conditioner and washing schedule).

And they shouldn't need to rely on a sister mom to brush their hair. They're all old enough.

I think nearly all of the girls would look good with shoulder-length hair or bobs (plus it's easier to maintain). Even if it's not Gothard-approved.

I'm more concerned about everyone's filthy feet in that house. I know it's common to go barefoot at home, but I don't let anyone wear shoes in my house. The Duggars do, then they let their kids play outside barefoot, then they walk all over their counters. All of these kids constantly have black feet and that is disgusting.

I was thinking the same thing about the filthy feet then getting on the counters. I don't think I would eat a meal at their house even if it was my last meal on earth. I can just see those little dirty hands playing mixing the food and snotty nose boogers dropping into the tator tot casserole. I also think it is ridiculous for those young girls to wear skirts over pants and long sleeved shirts with the necks of the shirts up to their chins. Especially in hot weather.

not to defend the duggars but they do live in the south. Yall humidity down here can wreak a good hair day in a second ( why I wear mine in a bun or pony tail most of the time)

when I was in vegas last week, I didnt have to do much with my hair and let it hang natural and it was pretty and smooth. Step back into TN and Poof I look like my hair hasn't seen a brush in days.

IKR! This is why I have a lot of headbands. The humidity in Alabama is not hair friendly

IKR! This is why I have a lot of headbands. The humidity in Alabama is not hair friendly

I just got more yesterday, Old Navy has some cute ones. One thing I learned is to braid it at night, that helps tame the frizzies some.

not to defend the duggars but they do live in the south. Yall humidity down here can wreak a good hair day in a second ( why I wear mine in a bun or pony tail most of the time)

when I was in vegas last week, I didnt have to do much with my hair and let it hang natural and it was pretty and smooth. Step back into TN and Poof I look like my hair hasn't seen a brush in days.

Oh, yes. I used to live in South Carolina, so I was used to having my hair be messed up and more poofy (I now live in Colorado, with much less humidity). The last time I went to visit friends, I stepped out of the airport and I swear I felt my hair expand.

Oh, yes. I used to live in South Carolina, so I was used to having my hair be messed up and more poofy (I now live in Colorado, with much less humidity). The last time I went to visit friends, I stepped out of the airport and I swear I felt my hair expand.

When I lived in two pretty humid parts of China, I knew that feel. I had some Michelle Duggar hair going on during the rainy season. I was so jealous of my Chinese friends, who had stick-straight hair that never looked out of place even on the most humid of days.

You know, I've lived in the south most of my life and never thought about a possible connection between humidity and Big Southern Hair. It all makes sense now.

I have 3 hair issues.

Michelle - 'nuff said. :lol:

Jill - Why was her hair more polished and pretty after a 20 hour flight to Nepal than on her wedding day?

Josie - I once saw an episode where Michelle or maybe one of the other girls, was gooping mass amounts of mousse/product

through her hair and frantically scrunching it to play up the curls. Stop It! I bet it would look so much better if they

would just let it be natural with looser, softer, curls and waves than the sticky mess they make it.

I have 3 hair issues.

Jill - Why was her hair more polished and pretty after a 20 hour flight to Nepal than on her wedding day?

Josie - I once saw an episode where Michelle or maybe one of the other girls, was gooping mass amounts of mousse/product

through her hair and frantically scrunching it to play up the curls. Stop It! I bet it would look so much better if they

would just let it be natural with looser, softer, curls and waves than the sticky mess they make it.

That one may be related to humidity. It's pretty humid in the South which messes up some types of hair quickly and with vengeance. It's a lot less hot and humid in airplanes.

That one may be related to humidity. It's pretty humid in the South which messes up some types of hair quickly and with vengeance. It's a lot less hot and humid in airplanes.

Good point. I live in Alabama and don't even bother to straighten my unruly mop of curls in the summer because it's a waste of time. :) But still, even before she stepped outside, I still think her overall 'do didn't do her justice on her big day. She really does have pretty hair.

When I lived in VA...OH MY GOD...the humidity made my hair crazy! The upside was that the natural curl came out. I have ringlets all over my head...when it's humid. Living out here in the land of NO humidity, my hair just hangs. The other crappy part of the no humidity is the amount of static electricity that gets generated!

I had a good routine in western colorado that involved lots and lots of conditioner. I moved away a couple of years ago, but I think I did three: a rinse-out, a leave-in, and a once weekly deep treatment. I moved just as I was beginning to get into a haircare groove. :( I would be a big greasy mess if I used that much conditioner in the bay area!

I have definitely noticed that the Lost Girls look much rattier lately. They used to look like someone cared but now they seem to be left to their own devices. Poor Jordyn especially looks dirty and disheveled an awful lot.

My YDS is like pigpen. He's 10 1/2. I can get him all spiffy and put together for church and I swear the walk from the house to the car is like through a tornado or something because he looks ridiculous within moments. BUT I keep wipes and a comb in my purse just for him. Before we get out of the car at church I hand him a baby wipe to wipe off his hands and face that have miraculously gotten filthy and then the comb so he can make his gorgeous but fine hair presentable again. It takes us like 20 seconds and he looks like someone loves him again. ;)

My DD is almost 9. She has the most gorgeous hair. It's longish right now but I usually keep it right at her shoulders. It's tremendously thick but very, very fine. It's mostly straight with just the slightest hint of wave if it's humid (we're in Chicagoland so we get our share of humidity). It will NOT hold a curl or a braid. I can braid it and 10 minutes later it's all falling out. I have put her hair in a topknot/chignon three times in her life because it's insanely difficult to get that much hair up into one and then trying to keep it up there is nearly impossible. As a matter of fact, she asked me to put her hair in "some braids and then turn it into a bun" for Easter morning. Um, okay so I put it in a high pony, did 3 braids and then braided them together and twisted them into a bun and used a ton of these special anchors that I have for her crazy thick hair. It was literally falling down within 20 minutes of just sitting in the car! All that to say that braids might not be an option if their hair is really fine/silky.

Also, my DD just started washing her own hair within the last year so Hannie is the only one I would expect to be washing her own hair. It does look like she probably does it herself and she needs help. Someone needs to teach her how to fully rinse it and then monitor for a while to make sure that it's getting clean and rinsed. The 3 younger girls still need someone to be washing theirs for them and probably combing/styling it too. I swear they used to have their hair in cute side ponytails and such all the time. What happened?

There was a Haboob in Vegas this week, my hair was a big Sandy mess and took 3 washings to get it clean enough to comb thru.

In northern Colorado, where I plant my feet most of the time, I have no frizz, no dry, it's just really nice when I'm there.

When my kids were little, especially the girls,I would either send them back to the shower to rinse better or do it at the kitchen sink, at least half the time especially between the ages of 6-10

Also, a good cut is key, curly, straight, thick or thin

detangling spray gets the knots out, but it doesn't prevent them from forming. Plus, it's not good for your hair.

Instead, you should try the wet brush. It's an amazing product.

Yes we got a wet brush for my daughter who is 3 and wet or dry no more pulling or tears

I have 3 hair issues.

I speculated early in the marriage that maybe Jill's hair was because Derick said something about liking it natural, and someone said they remembered seeing that in a clip during the courtship and that was when her hair went to what it has been. I know she spent time curling her hair before getting to Nepal because she thought that's what she wanted. The same may be true of her hair at the wedding.

I have definitely noticed that the Lost Girls look much rattier lately. They used to look like someone cared but now they seem to be left to their own devices. Poor Jordyn especially looks dirty and disheveled an awful lot.

My YDS is like pigpen. He's 10 1/2. I can get him all spiffy and put together for church and I swear the walk from the house to the car is like through a tornado or something because he looks ridiculous within moments. BUT I keep wipes and a comb in my purse just for him. Before we get out of the car at church I hand him a baby wipe to wipe off his hands and face that have miraculously gotten filthy and then the comb so he can make his gorgeous but fine hair presentable again. It takes us like 20 seconds and he looks like someone loves him again. ;)

My DD is almost 9. She has the most gorgeous hair. It's longish right now but I usually keep it right at her shoulders. It's tremendously thick but very, very fine. It's mostly straight with just the slightest hint of wave if it's humid (we're in Chicagoland so we get our share of humidity). It will NOT hold a curl or a braid. I can braid it and 10 minutes later it's all falling out. I have put her hair in a topknot/chignon three times in her life because it's insanely difficult to get that much hair up into one and then trying to keep it up there is nearly impossible. As a matter of fact, she asked me to put her hair in "some braids and then turn it into a bun" for Easter morning. Um, okay so I put it in a high pony, did 3 braids and then braided them together and twisted them into a bun and used a ton of these special anchors that I have for her crazy thick hair. It was literally falling down within 20 minutes of just sitting in the car! All that to say that braids might not be an option if their hair is really fine/silky.

Also, my DD just started washing her own hair within the last year so Hannie is the only one I would expect to be washing her own hair. It does look like she probably does it herself and she needs help. Someone needs to teach her how to fully rinse it and then monitor for a while to make sure that it's getting clean and rinsed. The 3 younger girls still need someone to be washing theirs for them and probably combing/styling it too. I swear they used to have their hair in cute side ponytails and such all the time. What happened?

The hair problems you describe are common if the hair is too clean. When styling hair, its better to do second or later day styling, meaning you wash the hair and dont style it until the next day. Hair shouldn't be washed more than every other day, anyways, because it's really bad for your scalp and causes your body to produce too much oil (which is why people complain they can't skip a day with washing their hair). If you can't wait for whatever reason, take a bit of coconut oil and run it through her hair before styling it. You can also try sea salt hair spray like this one instyle.com/fashion/best-sea-salt-sprays-every-hair-type to add some texture before you style.

The hair problems you describe are common if the hair is too clean. When styling hair, its better to do second or later day styling, meaning you wash the hair and dont style it until the next day. Hair shouldn't be washed more than every other day, anyways, because it's really bad for your scalp and causes your body to produce too much oil (which is why people complain they can't skip a day with washing their hair). If you can't wait for whatever reason, take a bit of coconut oil and run it through her hair before styling it. You can also try sea salt hair spray like this one instyle.com/fashion/best-sea-salt-sprays-every-hair-type to add some texture before you style.

Yeah, I know. She and I both only wash our hair about twice a week. My hair starts to look like it needs to be washed around 3-4 days. She can go more like 5-6 days without washing but I usually have her wash it on day 4. It is just so silky and fine in texture that it does not stay styled.

I don't see how they don't get horrible tangles.

Same here. I brush my hair multiple times a day and still manage to get all tangled, even with it up in a pony tail all day at work. I need to know their secrets lol

Archived