IGNORED

Kids' Messy Hair

KelseyAnn

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since Jill and Jessa started courting, the kids have been pretty much feral (though you could see the feral quality starting after Josie was born and Michelle completely checked out of actual parenting). And I know that kids get gross and dirty really easily (my sister's nickname growing up was Pigpen because no matter how clean and neat my mom would get her to look, she'd somehow manage to get dirty), but these kids perpetually look like me at the end of summer camp when I was younger and didn't care terribly about personal hygiene: tired, insufficiently washed (in particular, someone needs to show Hannie how to wash her hair properly), and disheveled.

@morri Aw, Weihnachtsmarkt fun? :lol:

What brush do you use, if I may ask? Do you have plastic ones? Since I only use natural brushes (goat´s hair brushes are great) the girl´s hair, esp. DD1, is way less frizzy and tangled!

It´s not particulary the hair, Jordyn as a whole always looks very "lost": hair tangly, her clothes seem to always be a number too big/long for her size... hm! And did you guys also notice how much Johanna looks like Jessa in the most recent photo where Hannie wears the leopard leggins and the grey dress? Including the hair!

Also, all the Duggars have sandy/reddish-coloured hair. Keep in mind lighter-coloured hair always tends to need more maintainance (in my experience) than darker-coloured one! DD1 has Mr. Nym´s "Thure Lindhardt blonde" hair colour, while DD2 has def. my mom´s dark brunette hair.

It´s a difference like day and night in terms of tending it :lol: .

There are ways to keep kid's hair under control. You can get a short cut, put in a ponytail or in braids,

My daughter had very blond hair as a chuild with a slight curl. I never had it just down and flying around unless she was dressed up becaue it immediately get tangled and messy.

She had a pony tail or pigtails every day and braids on some days. Someone has to care enough to brush and put in a style that can last the days but since Jill and Jessa left no one does.

@morri Aw, Weihnachtsmarkt fun? :lol:

What brush do you use, if I may ask? Do you have plastic ones? Since I only use natural brushes (goat´s hair brushes are great) the girl´s hair, esp. DD1, is way less frizzy and tangled!

It´s not particulary the hair, Jordyn as a whole always looks very "lost": hair tangly, her clothes seem to always be a number too big/long for her size... hm! And did you guys also notice how much Johanna looks like Jessa in the most recent photo where Hannie wears the leopard leggins and the grey dress? Including the hair!

Also, all the Duggars have sandy/reddish-coloured hair. Keep in mind lighter-coloured hair always tends to need more maintainance (in my experience) than darker-coloured one! DD1 has Mr. Nym´s "Thure Lindhardt blonde" hair colour, while DD2 has def. my mom´s dark brunette hair.

It´s a difference like day and night in terms of tending it :lol: .

It was easter actually :lol: (we were there for the easter fire later that day)

bristle and wire , wire only or bristle only.

Fly away hair and dirty, greasy hair are 2 different things.

Clean, old clothes are different from dirty, mismatched and disheveled clothing.

The little girls often look dirty as if general hygiene is a mere suggestion.

The and counting, precious blessings seem to be no adult's priority, which is sad and crass at the same time.

My Golden Retriever is better cared for and seeming gets more 1:1 attention than those sweet, precious, miracle, younger blessings.

Beyond laziness, burnout and indifference there is no excuse-

Ok...guess I'd better explain that one...

Among family and friends, when describing someone who's not usually terribly put together, we say that we're lucky if we have clothes on and shoes on the right feet.

Guess I'd better just stop using family and hometown colloquialisms here seeing as how they get misunderstood.

I understood what you meant. I've heard that phrase in CA, FL, and CT. So I don't think it's a "hometown" thing.

That's what Jana, Jinger and Joy are for... :pull-hair:

And personally, I think Jana, Jinger and Joy are more focused on Jana, Jinger and Joy, which is how it should be.

There's stuff called detangling spray that you can buy in any drugstore or Target. I used to use it on my kids hair all the time because they had curly hair that would just be hell to make look good. A nice wide brush and some detangling spray took care of it. But of course, I actually give a damn what my kids look like, cant say that for the Duggars

There's stuff called detangling spray that you can buy in any drugstore or Target. I used to use it on my kids hair all the time because they had curly hair that would just be hell to make look good. A nice wide brush and some detangling spray took care of it. But of course, I actually give a damn what my kids look like, cant say that for the Duggars

detangling spray gets the knots out, but it doesn't prevent them from forming. Plus, it's not good for your hair.

Instead, you should try the wet brush. It's an amazing product.

I was actually waiting for someone to say something about Jana, Jinger and Joy not taking care of the younger ones... that NEVER should have been any of those girls' responsibility to parent their younger siblings. Especially now, since Josie's five and no longer an infant, there's no excuse for J'Chelle not to make sure that HER younger children that SHE birthed, as she always so proudly states, are bathed, groomed and dressed in clean clothes, even if they do it themselves and she checks after them. My daughter is six and very independent so she likes to do a lot of that stuff for herself but I as the parent always monitor to make sure that she does.

The three oldest girls still at home (or at least Jana and Jinger) were forced to parent the younger ones while Mullet was popping out blessing after blessing, and now that the baby factory is closed, it should be up to HER to ensure that the youngers are cared for (Edit: it always should have been but now she has no infant to care for). I know it's not going to happen, but I don't think that anyone should throw shade on the girls for it.

Please note that I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, it's just a pet peeve of mine in general.

detangling spray gets the knots out, but it doesn't prevent them from forming. Plus, it's not good for your hair.

Instead, you should try the wet brush. It's an amazing product.

I know it doesn't stop them from forming, but, once the kid wakes up with knots in the head, it is a good one to fix the child's hair before they go to school. Thanks for the info

I dont know why Michelle cant just braid the girls hair. Seeing how much they run around one owuld give them a more practical lifestyle. But instead they have loose hair floating around and big sized hair bows.

I understood what you meant. I've heard that phrase in CA, FL, and CT. So I don't think it's a "hometown" thing.

Thanks! When my off-the-wall stuff gets misunderstood, I just automatically chalk it up to being from the Hampton Roads area of VA. We say a lot of weird shit that gets lost in translation. When I lived in SW Indiana, I had to explain myself over and over again (SW Indiana is like a different planet).

And, with me, yeah, its a good day when I have clothes on and my shoes on the right feet...I wish I had a nickel for every time I went to work and found out my shirt was inside out.

Thanks! When my off-the-wall stuff gets misunderstood, I just automatically chalk it up to being from the Hampton Roads area of VA. We say a lot of weird shit that gets lost in translation. When I lived in SW Indiana, I had to explain myself over and over again (SW Indiana is like a different planet).

And, with me, yeah, its a good day when I have clothes on and my shoes on the right feet...I wish I had a nickel for every time I went to work and found out my shirt was inside out.

I have a friend just like this. She has to wear dark colored shirts to work, since inevitably, some food or coffee will wind up on her clothes. :D

But the main problem with the kids is obviously that the messy, dirty hair and bodies are easily fixed problems -- but there aren't adults around who care enough to solve those problems...even though the mother who proudly birthed them and their father are right. freaking. there.

But the kids' hair isn't their jurisdiction! Every job is for someone else! :shifty-kitty:

My 16 yr old son's hair is ALWAYS messy. It's not a hill I'm willing to die on providing it clean.

I suspect when he discovers girls it will change but for now he looks like a ragmuffin or anime character.

Hahahaha you guys after reading this thread I am *so glad* my kids are not on TV. I bathe them (or make sure the older ones bathe themselves) and I make sure they brush their hair and teeth, but they play hard and love life which means they get dirty and disheveled all the time. Sometimes my five year old insists she should wear the most ridiculously mismatched clothes around the house and...I let her do it. The horror!

On the flip side I have wondered how they find time to take care of all those little ones. I mean I blink and my kids are a mess with tangled hair and long dirty nails when I SWEAR I just clipped their nails and scrubbed dirt out of all their crevices. And I only have three kids! If I had a billion of them I would be clipping fingernails and toenails and detangling hairs for hours a day in order to keep up. :shock:

I have a friend just like this. She has to wear dark colored shirts to work, since inevitably, some food or coffee will wind up on her clothes. :D

not to defend the duggars but they do live in the south. Yall humidity down here can wreak a good hair day in a second ( why I wear mine in a bun or pony tail most of the time)

when I was in vegas last week, I didnt have to do much with my hair and let it hang natural and it was pretty and smooth. Step back into TN and Poof I look like my hair hasn't seen a brush in days.

I dont know why Michelle cant just braid the girls hair. Seeing how much they run around one owuld give them a more practical lifestyle. But instead they have loose hair floating around and big sized hair bows.

Maybe Michelle doesn't know how to braid. Plus, braiding takes more time, and you're likely to have the other girls wander off never to come back to get their hair braided by the time you finished one girl's hair.

not to defend the duggars but they do live in the south. Yall humidity down here can wreak a good hair day in a second ( why I wear mine in a bun or pony tail most of the time)

when I was in vegas last week, I didnt have to do much with my hair and let it hang natural and it was pretty and smooth. Step back into TN and Poof I look like my hair hasn't seen a brush in days.

When I lived in VA...OH MY GOD...the humidity made my hair crazy! The upside was that the natural curl came out. I have ringlets all over my head...when it's humid. Living out here in the land of NO humidity, my hair just hangs. The other crappy part of the no humidity is the amount of static electricity that gets generated!

When I lived in VA...OH MY GOD...the humidity made my hair crazy! The upside was that the natural curl came out. I have ringlets all over my head...when it's humid. Living out here in the land of NO humidity, my hair just hangs. The other crappy part of the no humidity is the amount of static electricity that gets generated!

yes I can look like a poodle if its cut too short that sucks about the electricity !

yes I can look like a poodle if its cut too short that sucks about the electricity !

Heck yes, we live in Kentucky. Land of giant humidity hairs! 90 degrees and hair frizzing into a fro the second I step outside, even if I just spent three hours straightening it. (Which hasn't happened since I had children, but you know...once it did. lol)

Archived