IGNORED

Joseph & Elissa Maxwell are Expecting!

Rosie

I am willing to bet that if they have allowed themselves any serious fun sexy time they could figure out that might be a fun thing. IF however it is all "Wham, bam thank you maam" then they may never know.

I don't know, they don't strike me as the imaginative type.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, imagine how that must suck. You've spent all your life with these people 24/7, spending every second with them and being part of everything they do, and never being allowed to do anything else. Then you have a ring on your finger, so you have to go live somewhere else nearby and be relegated to a term usually used to describe the cousin you only see at family weddings.

Your child/sibling is not an extended family member, whether they live in the same house or not.

I don't even know if Elissa could afford to buy him a gift. It's not like she has a paying job. Even if Joe gave her an allowance (which I doubt) it's still his money.

I don't even know if Elissa could afford to buy him a gift. It's not like she has a paying job. Even if Joe gave her an allowance (which I doubt) it's still his money.

Blow jobs are free. Or she could give him a family friendly quilt she made or bake him a pie. Or maybe a whole box of animal crackers.

But beyond that, isn't that the way people did it back in the day when it was normal for women to stay home? They saved up change and sold baked goods and odd jobs to buy gifts for the spouses.

I actually think it's a good thing to be delegated to relative from family. At least in Maxhell.

In my family, by roughly college graduation - or if you don't go to college, about the same age - early 20's - you're an adult and you are kind of 'done'. No more Xmas gifts, birthday parties, etc. But, not in the same way the Maxwells seem to cut you out. For us, it's not cutting anyone out, it's letting you grow up and do your own thing. If you want to have a party at the bar for your 21st birthday, we're all there. We won't force you to spend the evening with your family when you'd prefer to be doing shots with your mates. We are, however, happy to join you.

My sister turned 49 this year. Her last year before 50, obviously. What she wanted was to have those she loves most go out to dinner at her favorite restaurant. So, that's what we did and her husband foot the bill. None of us was required to be there or required to behave in any way. The kids were there as well as the adults. There were many drinks flying, and many glasses of water and baby bottles of milk. We had a fantastic time and she had a night exactly as SHE chose.

And the only person who gave a damn about how she likes her coffee was/is her husband, and he didn't even think of it til the next morning when he made it for her.

Every time my family gets together I can't help but feel awful for the Maxwells. They are missing out on so much and don't even know it.

Today is his 26th birthday, and there has been no birthday post. They stopped giving Christopher birthday posts when he married.

It's so odd they have these strange boundaries.

I think it's all part of Steve and Teri's family-as-successful-product schtick: "See, we DO allow our children to grow up, marry, and start families of their own! We give them space! We don't do their birthday posts any more! We don't meddle or interfere!"

The reality, of course, is that the married chidults live mere blocks away from Stevehovah, and the sheltering, isolationism, and smug Christian-ness were ground into their bones from birth. There is no true escape from the collective.

Mark Driscoll (well, grace narrates this part) in his book talks about how, once a person is married, they then become "extended family." It's not just the Maxwells.

Mark Driscoll (well, grace narrates this part) in his book talks about how, once a person is married, they then become "extended family." It's not just the Maxwells.

Leave and Cleave

ur doin it rong

Well I hate my birthday, and I hate people mentioning it. For the Maxwells Steve probably views Joseph as a man now. He finally moved out and created his own Maxwell empire. So what's the point of mentioning him? Or maybe they forgot

I don't find it strange at all that they don't mention him anymore. He moved out and lives his own life now (in theory anyway, we all know that there is no true escaping from Stevehova). If anything, I find these birthday posts peculiar in first place.

Maxwells don't have the leave part down very well.

I don't think they have the cleave part down either. All the sons still work for Daddy's CCI company and Joe and Elissa still seem to being showing up at the dog and pony shows.

I guess it's the same logic as dads "babysitting" their kids, or Michelle Duggar describing one of her newborns (was it Josie?) as her "buddy" until she was old enough to join her siblings' buddy system.

Blow jobs are free. Or she could give him a family friendly quilt she made or bake him a pie. Or maybe a whole box of animal crackers.

This is hysterically funny! It really runs the gambit from soup to, ah, nuts.

Archived