IGNORED

Kansas Bans Second Trimester Abortion Procedure

16strong

Kansas is working to make it impossible to get an abortion in Kansas. Overly specific regulations for clinics (to protect women) laws such as this one, laws that protect doctors from wrongful birth suits or personal injury suits if they withhold actual test results IF they believe a woman would have an abortion based on those tests.

I can only guess the Kochs told Brownback he could do whatever he wanted with abortion if he cut taxes to the point he bankrupted education and the state in general.

Even for medical purposes? Small government my ass.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but aren't most second trimester abortions mostly for medical reasons, anyway? It's not like most women intentionally wait until the second trimester and then decide to terminate.

There are days I think the whole damn state has lost its mind.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but aren't most second trimester abortions mostly for medical reasons, anyway? It's not like most women intentionally wait until the second trimester and then decide to terminate.

According to a study that the Guttmacher Institute did on this issue, it seems that a big reason for second trimester abortion is that these women don't even realize they are pregnant and often delay deciding to get an abortion once they do realize it:

"Mean gestational duration was 70 days greater in the second-trimester group than in the first-trimester group. About half of the difference was due to the extra time it took for second-trimester patients to suspect that they were pregnant (28 days after missing their period, compared with six days in the first-trimester group) and to obtain a positive pregnancy test (28 days after suspecting the pregnancy, compared with 15 days in the first-trimester group). As a result, by the time their pregnancy was confirmed, 58% of women who eventually underwent second-trimester abortions were already in their second trimester. However, durations were also longer in the second-trimester group than in the first-trimester group for each subsequent step in the process of obtaining an abortion: deciding to get an abortion, calling an abortion clinic, calling the study clinic and arriving for the abortion."

"...many women seeking second-trimester abortions simply lacked pregnancy symptoms or were unaware of their last menstrual period and therefore took a long time to recognize and test for pregnancy"

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3811806b.html

There are days I think the whole damn state has lost its mind.

No. Some women wait. I'm reminded of the Florida woman twenty two weeks pregnant with twins who simply did not want twins and went through with an abortion. There were literally hundreds of people begging her not to and opening their home for the babies.

It is sad situation. Now you are left with either abort early(and risk a misdiagnosis) or let the fetus be in pain for 20 weeks if it doesnt day before.

On a ttc and family board I use , there was a woman who had a fetus with acrania. means no cranium(unless you can handle it I would not advise looking up images) so they discovered on ultrasound that the fetus had seizures from the amniotic fluid surrounding the brain. Seeing such a life was not viable they decided to spare the fetus and mom the pain and had an induction.

would not be possible in that state.

It is sad situation. Now you are left with either abort early(and risk a misdiagnosis) or let the fetus be in pain for 20 weeks if it doesnt day before.

On a ttc and family board I use , there was a woman who had a fetus with acrania. means no cranium(unless you can handle it I would not advise looking up images) so they discovered on ultrasound that the fetus had seizures from the amniotic fluid surrounding the brain. Seeing such a life was not viable they decided to spare the fetus and mom the pain and had an induction.

If they referred to it as an induced labor, I don't think that it would be banned under this law. This law appears to be trying to ban a specific method of abortion that is called "dilation and evacuation": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilation_and_evacuation

Even for medical purposes? Small government my ass.

Lol, they want theocracy. Freedom is just a buzzword to get people to buy in, like "organic."

No. Some women wait. I'm reminded of the Florida woman twenty two weeks pregnant with twins who simply did not want twins and went through with an abortion. There were literally hundreds of people begging her not to and opening their home for the babies.

That's the forced birth narrative of what happened. Who knows if there really was an Elise and if that was her photograph. I'm guessing the pregnant woman they photographed didn't give anyone consent to photograph her or use her image. The forced birthers lie, so I wouldn't really trust anything that comes out of those groups' mouths. For example, abortion causes breast cancer. They think if they repeat it enough, it is a fact.

That's the forced birth narrative of what happened. Who knows if there really was an Elise and if that was her photograph. I'm guessing the pregnant woman they photographed didn't give anyone consent to photograph her or use her image. The forced birthers lie, so I wouldn't really trust anything that comes out of those groups' mouths. For example, abortion causes breast cancer. They think if they repeat it enough, it is a fact.

One reason the "abortion causes breast cancer" myth has hung around so long is that technically, the breast cancer rate of a woman who had an abortion (and no subsequent pregnancies) is equal to that of a woman who was never pregnant, while a woman who has been full-term pregnant has a slightly lower rate than both of them. Also, a woman who has an induced abortion has the same rate as a woman who had a spontaneous miscarriage. Multiple pregnancies and breastfeeding are both correlative with reduced rates of breast cancer.

(Sorry about the derail, but I really like stats and learning where they come from. These are are from the National Cancer Institute)

(not sure how the quote nesting got messed up, sorry)

I was nearly second trimester when I had mine, and I would have been if not for the fact that I was able to get an appointment within a week.

If you have light/missed/or irregular periods (especially while on the Pill) and don't have many side effects of pregnancy like nausea, it can be really hard to tell you are pregnant. I had been on the Pill for years without issue, and I regularly missed or had very light periods. So when I had some spotting month #1, I chalked it up as a period. When I missed month #2, I was hardly phased.

I took the test just to "clear my mind" because I just had a weird feeling (and explained weight gain) at 10 weeks. Then I had to make 1 appointment to have the pregnancy confirmed, and another to have the abortion. I was right up on 12 weeks when I had it done, and I got in FAST. If I had waited to "miss" two cycles in a row, I would have been decently far into my second trimester before having it done.

Right, the pictures are of a sad looking woman walking into the clinic and then walking out. There is also the chance that she did tell them that just because she didn't want to tell these people standing there screaming at her her medical history. I honestly think I would do that just to mess with them since no matter what reason I give, they would still take my picture, post it online and talk about what a horrible person I am.

A woman is my grandmother's home town was faced with a similar issue, and chose to abort. Now, my grandmother was pro-life and believed life began at conception. But she was disgusted by the people who judged the woman's choice, because she was also practical enough to recognize this was a situation with no good choices. The pro-life movement, sadly, sees everything in black and white, when life has lots of grey.

Archived