IGNORED

Allie Webster Birth Watch - She's Here!

Ursula

Erin seems to maybe already be as large as Alyssa. Alyssa is really carrying that one tight to her.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always associated this "stupid nickname" phenomenon with Northeast WASP-y boarding school types. Off the top of my head I can think of a Cookie, Chippy, Tripp, and Tap (first two are women, second men) who are all monied and have what I would consider long WASP-y names (they are also thirds and fourths, etc.). I hate it but it is interesting from a sociological perspective. Also been reading recently about how upper class names (Barbie, for example) become appropriated by strivers in lower classes and then fall out of favor with the upper class - it's a vicious cycle.

(Mr AJD & I are currently in the looking-for-baby-names season of life, if you can't tell.)

In college I knew an older, wealthy woman whose nickname was "Wis." As in "I have to take a. . . " Calling her that with a straight face was painful.

Alyssa posted the following picture on her instagram.

instagram.com/p/1Q61eQpAui/?taken-by=webster4ever

Still pregnant and 40 weeks. Hope she's not 2 weeks late like Jill though I have a feeling (based on nothing) she won't be. Bet she'd be thrilled to deliver the same day as Duchess Kate.

I can't get over how great Alyssa looks. Personally, I think all pregnant women (those who are excited about their pregnancies) look great. That said, Jill and Alyssa are a good example of how "one size fits all" never fits pregnancy at all. Jill appeared to have "grown" more than the average, while Alyssa looks tiny compared with average (9 months, that is.) They both have looked radient through their pregnancies, and Israel is adorable. I can only imagine how cute Allie Jane will be.

(but yeah, I'm in the "not liking a nickname as the formal name" camp.)

I think Allie is a strange name choice. Her mom is Alyssa, and she's going to have aunts named Ellie and Callie. They're all pretty similar.

One of John's older brothers also has a daughter named Ellie. Oh and a son named Carson, so little Allie will have two cousins named Carson.

I can't get over how great Alyssa looks. Personally, I think all pregnant women (those who are excited about their pregnancies) look great. That said, Jill and Alyssa are a good example of how "one size fits all" never fits pregnancy at all. Jill appeared to have "grown" more than the average, while Alyssa looks tiny compared with average (9 months, that is.) They both have looked radient through their pregnancies, and Israel is adorable. I can only imagine how cute Allie Jane will be.

(but yeah, I'm in the "not liking a nickname as the formal name" camp.)

Alyssa looks stunning at 40 weeks. It's fascinating how tiny she is, she looks like other women do at 5-6 months along. You're right, one size never fits all.

(Btw, don't get me wrong, I think Jill looked stunning, too. Though she looked more exhausted towards the end than Alyssa does now. Could be that Alyssa has more privacy and quiet around her than Jill did).

People name sons after their fathers all the time - why not do it for your daughter?

Alyssa looks so tiny still. She is starting to look SO much like Kelly! My guess is the 12th. Wonder how much they'll film?

Speaking of both British Royals and women naming their daughters after themselves, that's how they ended up with Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother! Of course, Queen Elizabeth II was named after her mother, then only The Duchess of York, and thus expected to just be Princess Elizabeth of York, but still...

At least with kings named sequentially, they'd be George IV, George V, George VI, etc. since they were all Kings Regnant. (Plus they only had one King alive at a time...the Duke of Windsor notwithstanding.) But since Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother *was* a Queen, but *wasn't* a Queen Regnant, she didn't have a number and she didn't want to be known as a "Dowager Queen" as Queen Mary had been since she was only in her 50s. So, new title for her to distinguish herself from her namesake daughter!

Oh the hazards of naming girls after their mothers... :nenner:

(edited for clarity)

Alyssa posted the following picture on her instagram.

instagram.com/p/1Q61eQpAui/?taken-by=webster4ever

Still pregnant and 40 weeks. Hope she's not 2 weeks late like Jill though I have a feeling (based on nothing) she won't be. Bet she'd be thrilled to deliver the same day as Duchess Kate.

There might be an added bonus. According to the British Bookies, the odds on favourite name if Will and Kate have a girl is Alice.

Today Allie's aunt Carlin turns 17. Think they'll share a birthday?

Alyssa looks so modern compared to Jill. Hope she's not two weeks late.

I was just watching the 19 Kids and Counting ep where Jill finds out the sex. At 17 weeks she was almost as big as Alyssa is now! I think part of why Alyssa looks so stylish is because she is lucky to be carrying small for this pregnancy. It is much, much harder to stay stylish when your belly is double the size of Alyssa's...and so uncomfortable that you might not even want to bother!

Not that I don't think Alyssa looks great, I do! But she doesn't seem to have the giant belly and swelling that accompany many pregnancies at 40 weeks and that make it hard to dress fashionably. Jill did, and I think she just defaulted to comfortable clothes towards the end, and right now, if you want loose fitting styles, you probably go towards the boho look.

I just think it's going to get confusing. Is Grandma Bates yelling for Allie, Callie, Ellie or Alyssa? I don't have a problem with women naming babies after themselves, btw. It wouldn't be as confusing if it were just Alyssa and Allie Jane.

She could be nicknamed AJ, which I always found to be adorable for a girl.

One of John's older brothers also has a daughter named Ellie. Oh and a son named Carson, so little Allie will have two cousins named Carson.

Honestly, I imagine ther will be a lot of name overlaps/similarities. If all the Bates kids only have 5 kids, there will be 95 Bates grandkids. And there are likely to be many more than that.

There could easily be 100 grandkids. I wonder whether they'll try to coordinate on or reserve names so there aren't multiple kids with the same name.

Looks like she had Allie at the birthing center. I hope it went well. She looks like a cutie from what little is shown.

She's very cute. As predicted, she is swathed in girly fabric. No flower headband or glitter, though. :D

Can someone paste the photo here please? I can't see it.

I can't get it to upload, not sure if it is due to my computer, FJ or the image itself. Maybe someone who is a better techie than me can upload it.

She's very cute. As predicted, she is swathed in girly fabric. No flower headband or glitter, though. :D

I know lesbian couples who put flower headbands on their girls. It is not fundie thing.

Archived