IGNORED

Worst rehoming story (possibly) ever

KateFowler

Just because there are plenty of bad stories to go around doesn't mean they are all bad.

Regarding the bolded, you clearly have no fucking idea. Take Ukraine, which happens to be the subject of the doco I posted a link to, which happens to feature several men who've aged out of children's institutions. You might find it interesting to compare that to that doco about the teacher in NJ trying to find adult placements for her disabled students.

I'm pretty sceptical about international adoption, but you're making me want to scream with your obstinate refusal to actually think or listen to the actual people involved.

That documentary about the teacher in NJ is really eye-opening. I spent the entire thing wanting to alternately hug her, cry, or scream "someone give her some damn money and resources!!!"

I work in public school in a related (but not the same) capacity, and her tenacity and heart were a thing of beauty to behold. It was also gutting to watch her fresh frustration with every kid that was denied an ideal placement.

Thanks for the linkies!

That documentary about the teacher in NJ is really eye-opening. I spent the entire thing wanting to alternately hug her, cry, or scream "someone give her some damn money and resources!!!"

I work in public school in a related (but not the same) capacity, and her tenacity and heart were a thing of beauty to behold. It was also gutting to watch her fresh frustration with every kid that was denied an ideal placement.

Thanks for the linkies!

I know, it's so fucking short sighted even for the most libertarian politician/voter to deny funding. Leaving aside the moral issues of their intrinsic worth as people, and the moral obligation of every single able bodied adult to take care of them. To have people in good placements is cheaper than having them at home and depressed, with a depressed carer, or wandering the streets as a homeless person, fetching up in the ER every week. It's just stupid not to support them, there is no political worldview under which it makes sense.

Have you heard of the "new" (not new) program sweeping the nation? It's called Housing First, and they've hit upon the revolutionary (not revolutionary) idea that the source of a lot of the problems of homeless people is their homelessness, and that rather than requiring them to become model citizens to qualify for housing, if you just give them some fucking accomodation it solves a huge part of their problem. Imagine that! Not living in a very vulnerable state actually reduces the stress levels of a person! Who would have thought? (anyone with half a brain who wasn't intent on punishing the poors). Or thise programs where they have a nurse coordinate care for people with multiple illnesses who are in vulnerable situations and on medicaid by sitting down and talking with them and going to doctors appointments and making sure the cardiologist talks to the endocrinologist, and they save buckets and buckets of money and the people get healthier.

Ugh. This all makes me so fucking angry. Talk about a collapse of morals. Westboro Baptist should be protesting this.

• 4 months later...

Archived