IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell

Justme

A weird thought occurred to me the other day. Not sure how true it is, and it's a weird theory that may well be disproved, but anyway...

Maybe, just possibly, Stevehovah is only interested in marrying the boys off because then the Maxwell name will carry on down the line. If the girls get married, their surname will no longer be Maxwell, and the kids wouldn't be Maxwell either. I know the kids would be half Maxwell, but the surname would be different. All the grandchildren are Maxwell: Abigail Maxwell, Bethany Maxwell, Christina Maxwell, Drew Maxwell, Joshua Maxwell, Ruthanne Maxwell, Lydia Maxwell.

It's kinda crazy, and Anna or Mary may well get married at some point so the theory would be debunked. It was just something random that occurred to me...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She wasn't a young teen when this happened. She was, like, seven. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was nothing we would blink at. They sneaked a PG-13 movie or talked about what kissing might be like or sneaked the mom's nail polish and eye liner. It happened when they were still in FL, right around Reversal Time.

In a nutshell, when she was little Sarah went to a sleepover with her child friends from the neighborhood and experienced something upsetting and ungodly (though they dialed that back once in a while; she wasn't assaulted and it had nothing to do with bullying or drugs or anything) and that experience filtered through Steve made her glad forever after that she's never had any friends but her siblings and is so relieved to this day that they shelter her.

A weird thought occurred to me the other day. Not sure how true it is, and it's a weird theory that may well be disproved, but anyway...

Maybe, just possibly, Stevehovah is only interested in marrying the boys off because then the Maxwell name will carry on down the line. If the girls get married, their surname will no longer be Maxwell, and the kids wouldn't be Maxwell either. I know the kids would be half Maxwell, but the surname would be different. All the grandchildren are Maxwell: Abigail Maxwell, Bethany Maxwell, Christina Maxwell, Drew Maxwell, Joshua Maxwell, Ruthanne Maxwell, Lydia Maxwell.

It's kinda crazy, and Anna or Mary may well get married at some point so the theory would be debunked. It was just something random that occurred to me...

Oh, I definitely think that's the case. Only the Maxwells are the ones that matter; if you are not a Maxwell, then you are not awesome and you really, truly don't know where you will go when you die.

I will be very surprised if there is ever a non-Maxwell grandchild.

What is this sleepover story? I havent heard this one.

I know it appears in Keeping Our Children's Hearts. Not sure if it appears anywhere else. It's really not much of a story because like everything Maxwell they only give the very vaguest information, no details at all.

In a nutshell, when she was little Sarah went to a sleepover with her child friends from the neighborhood and experienced something upsetting and ungodly (though they dialed that back once in a while; she wasn't assaulted and it had nothing to do with bullying or drugs or anything) and that experience filtered through Steve made her glad forever after that she's never had any friends but her siblings and is so relieved to this day that they shelter her.

My gut has always told me that one of the girls pulled out a Ouija board, or tried to start up a round of "Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board" or "Bloody Mary." Specifically because they use the term "ungodly," rather than "impure" or "corrupting."

It is (remotely) possible Sarah experienced bullying. I went to a sleepover once where someone went around sticking qtips up sleeping people's noses. It's possible Sarah didn't take that well (I probably wouldn't have either, as they were too scared to do it to me.)

But yeah, a oujia board is possible and it might really scare her.

News flash! News flash! Go read the blog and see the new development! Big progress......okay maybe little progress. John's actually leaving the country! By himself! To visit (gasp!) friends who teach English as a Second Language! Where would he have found such friends? And why by himself; not taking Jesse along for accountability? Of course it'd have been more significant progress if Sarah was going, but hey, every little bit helps. Right? (singing) You know He's doin' it, God is doing a new thang........ :clap: :dance: :pray:

I remember someone posting here who's sister was friends with Sarah. She wrote something about a camping trip. Don't remember the same of this poster.

News flash! News flash! Go read the blog and see the new development! Big progress......okay maybe little progress. John's actually leaving the country! By himself! To visit (gasp!) friends who teach English as a Second Language! Where would he have found such friends? And why by himself; not taking Jesse along for accountability? Of course it'd have been more significant progress if Sarah was going, but hey, every little bit helps. Right? (singing) You know He's doin' it, God is doing a new thang........ :clap: :dance: :pray:

I wish he'd take Sarah with him, but I know Stevie wouldn't allow it.

I love how they didn't bother to name the country he's going to. Sigh.

And they apparently had a "celebrating mom's retirement" party. So, Teri is considered retired now. I'll bet that was one big hootenanny after THIRTY YEARS of homeschooling!

I am guessing that it was a zoo trip based on the picture they had of John and someone mentioning they gave her some little animals for Mary's graduation.

KC, Omaha and St. Louis all have relatively good zoos, but KC is most likely as it is nearest to Leavenworth.

Someone else suggested the animal park Sara featured in one of their books...

It is (remotely) possible Sarah experienced bullying. I went to a sleepover once where someone went around sticking qtips up sleeping people's noses. It's possible Sarah didn't take that well (I probably wouldn't have either, as they were too scared to do it to me.)

But yeah, a oujia board is possible and it might really scare her.

If it were an Ouiji board, I'm sure they could say that and know their followers would agree it was ungodly.

I'm thinking it was something really minor - something Steve knows is really not that big of a deal - and they don't want to say because they know even other fundies would think they're crazy.

I love how they didn't bother to name the country he's going to. Sigh.

And they apparently had a "celebrating mom's retirement" party. So, Teri is considered retired now. I'll bet that was one big hootenanny after THIRTY YEARS of homeschooling!

Do you think they celebrated with some animal cracker cake?!

animal-cracker-cupcakes.jpg

Only ONE animal cracker for each person! :nenner:

i think that every time we criticize Stevehovah directly, he's more convinced he's doing something right.

Perhaps we are wrong ourselves in not truly understanding the value of protecting one's children, especially the daughters. After all, Sarah was apparently severely traumatized by a sleepover when she was a young teen. To Steve, marriage is simply an extended sleepover, and he's protecting Sarah from further trauma.

Never quoted myself before but....I'm being really snarky here!!!!

Oh, I definitely think that's the case. Only the Maxwells are the ones that matter; if you are not a Maxwell, then you are not awesome and you really, truly don't know where you will go when you die.

I will be very surprised if there is ever a non-Maxwell grandchild.

That shouldn't be enough to stop him, though -- Maxwell is a very common name. He could simply look for unrelated-but-still-named-Maxwell suitors for the girlwomen! :lol: Problem solved, all grandkids now named Maxwell!

If it were an Ouiji board, I'm sure they could say that and know their followers would agree it was ungodly.

I'm thinking it was something really minor - something Steve knows is really not that big of a deal - and they don't want to say because they know even other fundies would think they're crazy.

Hm, good point. I wonder if Steve is the type to disapprove of all games involving dice? The Pointer Sisters were raised by a conservative pastor father and once told a story in an interview about how they were not even allowed to play Monopoly growing up, only checkers and backgammon. I imagine face cards are also off limits if one doesn't believe dice should be used.

I can just see some little heathen girl trying to lure an impressionable Sarah to the dark side via a game of Go Fish.

My gut has always told me that one of the girls pulled out a Ouija board, or tried to start up a round of "Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board" or "Bloody Mary." Specifically because they use the term "ungodly," rather than "impure" or "corrupting."

Yeah, this has always been my feeling as well. I suspect it was something that Sarah didn't give a passing thought to until she mentioned it to her parents and they freaked out.

By leaving it vague Steve gets to tell everyone how traumatizing "it" was rather than letting people decide for themselves based off of facts.

Steve your daughters can keep their surname. Not every woman changes her name. Let your poor girls leave!!! Steve reminds me of how females are treated in other countries in a male dominated society.

Ever since the surprise Joseph/Elissa wedding, I've just assumed that there has been 1-2 other failed courtships that were never publicly announced.

I really have wondered if ATI/IBLP has a "marriage bureau" where fathers can find suitable spouses for their kids! Example:

20 year old single white male, (ALERT trained, 1 year at HG) second of 14 children, has Microsoft certs and own computer repair business, owns home, and have a years salary in savings, seeks wife of similar age. Must have no priors [courtships] should be totally uneducated, have no knowledge of the reproductive system but must aspire to use her uterus in the service of the Lord for as long as He allows. Small home business ok--examples card making, piano instruction, headcovering etsy shop. Should provide proof of virginity to P.O. Box....

or

17 year old white female, fully housetrained, answers to all normal commands and can easily learn others, cooks, cleans, excellent at child care, limits intake of food properly for appearances, seeks husband of at least 16 willing to have her. P.O. Box.....

Then the marriage guru would toss the cards in the air, match male to female and contact the happy fathers!

That shouldn't be enough to stop him, though -- Maxwell is a very common name. He could simply look for unrelated-but-still-named-Maxwell suitors for the girlwomen! :lol: Problem solved, all grandkids now named Maxwell!

I did think of that, actually. Remember, though, that they do have to fit the small profile Steve is looking for, and be willing to marry into the crazy and live less than a mile away from the original compound. Elizabeth Munck saw through the facade and fled. Having said that, Nate's wife Melanie seems to be a little less crazy; in that family picture you can *gasp* see Bethany's legs. Still a modest skirt, but usually Maxwell ladies have ankle-length skirts, and Abigail's legs are fully covered. Christopher's wife Anna Marie, by contrast, seems to be fully into the crazy and seems to only wear frumpers.

This family seem to go to the zoo very often.

They belong in one, since Steve likes to keep them all caged up.

Archived