IGNORED

I think the one of the middle kids will make the break...

iknowright

I used to think Joy would be one to rebel and break away. Unfortunately, she seems to have changed drastically. She went from seeming like a fairly sensitive young lady sad with her situation to a nasty, bitter young lady eager to dominate those around her. I think she will end up making Jessa's bitchiness seem mild by comparison in the coming years. I think she will stay at the Duggar compound and rule whatever children remain (regardless of age) with an iron fist. I can easily picture her as a mean and angry old spinster woman.

I really believe, as each new set of marrieds go through life, their views will change and absolutely none will come even close to 19 kids. The only possibility, I think, is Jessa to throw a great big middle finger at Michelle and no other reason. So in a way, I think they will almost all break away.

I think the only one who will be fairly fundie is Jana. I can see her marrying a guy heavily into ATI. The only advantage for her by waiting to marry is the potential small family size. Even though I want her to break free, I sense she's probably going to still be relatively non secular when she eventually starts her own family. She gives off a big kool-aid drinker vibe but she's already a better mom than MEchelle because she knows the struggle of raising siblings so she'll cut her future daughter slack and only have 6 at most. :stir-pot:

I think it will be one of the younger kids who will become the most mainstream. After they see their older siblings stray slightly away from the Gothard ideals (and into fundie-lite lifestyles), they will feel more confident breaking away.

Another reason would be that Jana is the one raising them and seems more accepting than Mullet (When the family goes on trips to visit other countries and their cultures, Jana is always the most accepting and doesn't criticize things that may be out of her comfort zone, like a lot of the other family members do). These younger kids are going to care more about what Jana or their buddy is going to think than J'chelle and Boob.

I haven't lost complete hope that Jana will break at some point. The reasons being:

1) She's the only Duggar to admit that "evolution makes sense" before quickly adding that the bible is right.

2)She's been on the most "Journey to the Heart," trips. Whether they were optional or that J'chelle and Jim Bob made her go for reprogramming is still up in the air, but it's still interesting that she would need to go to brainwashing camp more than the other Duggars.

3)Although camera shy, she seems to be the friendliest with the camera crew (there's a picture of her on one of the younger crew members' tumblr, she makes aside jokes to the camera crew for the benefit of amusing the crew and not the audience of TLC). She's reaching out to socialize with non-fundies(the crew) that she would never had been able to interact with if it wasn't for the show.

4)The bridesmaid dress scene for Jessa's wedding. This seemed like it may have shown the cracks in the demeanor of the house. Jana and Jessa do not get along (there's also that childhood treasure story). When the camera's aren't rolling, these two obviously have some major arguments.

5)She's more self-reliant than the other Duggar children. (The wisdom teeth episode, multiple other occasions).

6)She loves going out to eat (shown in multiple episodes). Big families don't have the opportunity to do this often for financial reasons. This is only a small clue that leads to---

7) She's obviously not courting yet because she does not want a large family. She's seen the dark side to the quiverfull lifestyle; the blanket training, not having enough to eat, used shoes from thrift stores, her getting upset when people ask when it's her turn to get married like in Jill's dress shopping episode, and raising her own siblings.

I think Jana is quietly rebelling by not getting married right away. She could also possibly be waiting for the other kids to be older before leaving; especially after the seizure incident. She's the only responsible adult around most of the time. Her waiting this long (to get married or to leave) makes it seem like she's conflicted with what to do. She loves her family, but doesn't want to lose them by leaving or marrying the first guy that comes around (who she may not even like that much later on).

I honestly I hoping she's waiting for the cameras to stop rolling and for Joy to turn 18, so she, Jinger, and Joy can get the heck off that compound (although this is unlikely).

It's too bad there is no opportunity for one of them to come across something like Rebecca Musser's book that might provide inspiration to rethink things and leave.

I agree with SassyPants and antwan - most of the Duggar kids will gradually become more fundie-lite and mainstream Christian throughout their adult lives. A few (Jill in particular) will stick with the Gothard cult for life.

I can especially see Jinger as a mainstream, urban Christian, wearing pants, only having a couple of kids, sending her kids to brick-and-mortar schools, maybe even getting a job when her kids are older.

I think Johannah will rebel the most. She has always been a bit of a wild-child, and now that's she's getting older, she seems to be developing quite the sassy and snarky attitude. She also seems very intelligent, moreso than many of her siblings, which helps her see through her family's b.s. She hasn't had to raise younger siblings like her older sisters did, and I just can't see her taking well to raising her siblings' kids. By the time Hannie is 18, the show will likely be long over, and she will have seen how her older siblings' adult lives have turned out without TLC money, for better and for worse. Plus, parents of large families tend to check out and relax the rules more with the youngest kids. Hannie clearly doesn't think much of Michelle, who has not really been there to raise her.

I think Hannie will run away to Portland, OR (or similar city), at age 18, giving Michelle the wrong finger on the way out. She will live as a hipster, living off royalties from her tell-all book and follow-up TV interviews.

Hopefully, she'll help Jackson and Jenny get out, too. I can't see Jenny living as a hipster, though; she'll most likely get herself a decent college education at an accredited school, start a career for herself, and live a quiet life away from the spotlight (perhaps with a husband/partner and small family of her own).

I honestly don't think any of these children will leave.

They are educated to make sure they KNOW the hand that feeds them (JB). Even under new headships, Boob is still "helping them" to make sure they don't forget. He's a massive control freak and I don't believe it would be easy as just leaving.

I honestly don't think any of these children will leave.

They are educated to make sure they KNOW the hand that feeds them (JB). Even under new headships, Boob is still "helping them" to make sure they don't forget. He's a massive control freak and I don't believe it would be easy as just leaving.

I would have said the same thing about the Phelps family but many of them have broken free over the years.

I definitely think the Lost Girls will be among the first to leave. My money is on Jennifer and Jordyn to make a break for it. With technology being more available everyday, they'll be able to make informed decisions at a younger age than the older kids and that'll probably be the deciding factor in one or more of the kids leaving.

I think they'll also have the advantage of no older sibling supervision + the Duggars are under the impression that young girls can be trusted more as evidently to them only boys are visual.

I think Jinger could break free, but only if she ends up marrying a man who wants to as well. I think she wants the freedom, but needs a little push.

Nope it wont happen. They are brainwashed to the point of fanatism, plus theyll never do anything that would disappoint their parents. They ll all toe the line. trust me.

The kids are scared.

JB has instilled fear for their life via the bible (it appears that they spend a lot of time on the old testament), and through the show. I think without the show it would be easier for one of them to escape, but the show has made that nearly impossible. If one of them did escape, they would be responsible for bringing down the entire Duggar/19KAC empire that JB and J'chelle have been riding on. No show, no speaking engagements, no money. The escapee would no longer have their parents, and their siblings would be angry at them too.

Once the show ends, it might be easier for them, but families are difficult. Defying your family is a hard thing to do. Especially when your family is all you have (nicely played, JB). Even in the non-Duggar world, family disapproval is a hard thing to deal with.

If these kids develop a support network outside of their family, then they could possibly pull it off. But JB and Uterus seem to have completely eradicated that hope for their children.

The kids are scared.

JB has instilled fear for their life via the bible (it appears that they spend a lot of time on the old testament), and through the show. I think without the show it would be easier for one of them to escape, but the show has made that nearly impossible. If one of them did escape, they would be responsible for bringing down the entire Duggar/19KAC empire that JB and J'chelle have been riding on. No show, no speaking engagements, no money. The escapee would no longer have their parents, and their siblings would be angry at them too.

Once the show ends, it might be easier for them, but families are difficult. Defying your family is a hard thing to do. Especially when your family is all you have (nicely played, JB). Even in the non-Duggar world, family disapproval is a hard thing to deal with.

If these kids develop a support network outside of their family, then they could possibly pull it off. But JB and Uterus seem to have completely eradicated that hope for their children.

I second every single thing you say. PPl probably dont quite realize to which degree the kids are submitted to their parents. Even for an average kid its hard to go agianst parent will and how often do we hear from kids growing up in less strict enviroment, non religious familes - but even those kids often feel pressured to stay in the closet, marry someone they dont love or go to a college their parenst pciked put for them. in teh Duggar world its ten times worse

The kids are scared.

I agree, it's going to be extremely difficult for any of them to leave because JB has instilled so much fear in them, plus they're not prepared for anything outside of what the family expects. They've had a very limited education, and the only jobs any of them has had was something set up by JB. If any of them do escape, it will be after the show has run its course, and a male Duggar or an in-law becoming more mainstream Christian. Even if someone started to raise their family fundie-lite, it would be like an escape in a way, especially if females started wearing pants.

I wouldn't write Jessa, Jill and Josh off just yet.

Yes, they are married, and yes, right now, they don't seem to really want to leave their fundie lifestyle. But we have to keep in mind that they still ride the TLC gravy train, which keeps them pretty encapsulated from reality, and they are still very young. Josh isn't even 30 yet, the other two are in their early 20s. A lot can happen in the next 10-30 years.

As for the other children, the majority isn't even 18 yet. I'm pretty sure that some of them will leave, it seems very unlikely to me that all 19 will stay fundie for life. Yes, some might to various degrees, but some will turn away from the lifestyle sooner or later.

I think it's going to be one of the Howlers or Lost Girls that break. JB&M are getting older and they will wear out and not want to be as involved with the day to day as they once were (Michelle's already started). Also as the olders get married, a lot of the attention turns to the wedding (see Jill and Jessa) and there will be things lost in the shuffle.

Wait until puberty hormones hit the Lost Girls.

I don't think that JB and Michelle with loosen up with the legalism, simply because they've been doing it for about thirty years now, so it's normal for them. I think they assume that the strictness of their lifestyle will keep the younger kids in line, to make up for the fact that they've been checked out in the parenting department for quite some time. Perhaps the lack of ties to their parents will make it easier for some of the Howlers and Lost Girls to leave later on. However, now that Josiah is courting, I'm beginning to despair that any real questioning or rebelling will ever happen. As long as JB has enough money and land to provide the kids a decent material existence, they won't have any reason to think that they aren't being "blessed" for their "godliness."

I don't think that JB and Michelle with loosen up with the legalism, simply because they've been doing it for about thirty years now, so it's normal for them. I think they assume that the strictness of their lifestyle will keep the younger kids in line, to make up for the fact that they've been checked out in the parenting department for quite some time. Perhaps the lack of ties to their parents will make it easier for some of the Howlers and Lost Girls to leave later on. However, now that Josiah is courting, I'm beginning to despair that any real questioning or rebelling will ever happen. As long as JB has enough money and land to provide the kids a decent material existence, they won't have any reason to think that they aren't being "blessed" for their "godliness."

Right now, JB has the means and the power to provide the married kidults with a good home and lifestyle. But what will happen in 10-20 years? I highly doubt that Boob has enough money to pay for 10 or more quiverfull families for decades. Or even give all of his sons and some of his sons-in-law a job which pays enough to support a wife and eleventy kids.

I think when the TV fame, glory and money dries up - the ability to maintain adult children without legitimate (meaning not working for JB) jobs is going to wane. Or his desire to maintain adult children (or their spouses) will wane. Oh, sure, JB & MIchelle will be fine financially. I think when the kids have to go into the real world without cameras the drift will happen.

But, I don't see anyone making a real break for it until TLC bores, cancels them and moves onto more little people, wedding dresses or cake bosses etc.

I think the lost bunch will make a break, incl josie, as they havent ever been totally bathed in the kool aid from what I know. They will see the more wordly life of their oldest siblings sans josh. and take it just in their rein.

Confession: my husband and I have been looking at Arkansas for our retirement destination... and one of the motivating factors was to be able to see what becomes of the Duggars in 20 years :geek:

Confession: my husband and I have been looking at Arkansas for our retirement destination... and one of the motivating factors was to be able to see what becomes of the Duggars in 20 years :geek:

That is about as awesome a reason as I have ever heard! :lol:

But I also wanted to say, I was born and raised very close to where the Duggars live. Arkansas is a beautiful state. As much as I love my new home (Texas) part of me misses Arkansas every day. I doubt you would regret your choice.

Definitely. We were originally going to retire to my homestate of VT, but it has gotten so expensive there. One other factor is our kids will be in their early-mid 20s when we retire, so we want to move to a place where they could conceivably get decent jobs and start a life there (assuming they want to follow us), because we know how hard it is to make a life in metro NY; we only stayed because my husband is a civil servant and we'd be fools to walk away from his retirement package. Of course, anything could change between now and then, but AK seems to have a really good job market and reasonable cost of living.

Stalking the Duggars would be the icing on the cake :mrgreen:

But I also wanted to say, I was born and raised very close to where the Duggars live. Arkansas is a beautiful state. As much as I love my new home (Texas) part of me misses Arkansas every day. I doubt you would regret your choice.

Definitely. We were originally going to retire to my homestate of VT, but it has gotten so expensive there. One other factor is our kids will be in their early-mid 20s when we retire, so we want to move to a place where they could conceivably get decent jobs and start a life there (assuming they want to follow us), because we know how hard it is to make a life in metro NY; we only stayed because my husband is a civil servant and we'd be fools to walk away from his retirement package. Of course, anything could change between now and then, but AK seems to have a really good job market and reasonable cost of living.

Stalking the Duggars would be the icing on the cake :mrgreen:

AK = Alaska.

OK, so which kids will end up having a personality closest to JimBoob and Michelle?

My votes...

JimBoob=James

Michelle=Jill

OK, so which kids will end up having a personality closest to JimBoob and Michelle?

My votes...

JimBoob=James

Michelle=Jill

Ive always thought that Jessa would be like Michelle was as a teenager-the pretty, popular cheerleader type, if she was allowed to be normal. Which is why I really hope she is not as fertile as her mother, or uses birth control, so she doesn't end up as a dead eyed shell of a person. They also have limited emotions, although I much prefer Jessa's default attitude of snark and annoyance than Michelle's creepy smile and baby voice.

I've heard about how lovely and low-cost Arkansas is, but I don't know how well I'd do there as a very left-wing sort of person. Are there little pockets of liberalism in Arkansas like there are in Texas and Georgia? I'm thinking about post-grad school living options, and while I'd love to stay on the east coast and live in a very large city like New York, Boston, or DC, I'm also thinking about smaller cities in the south, where the weather's generally nicer and the cost of living is lower.

Archived