IGNORED

The 7 Sisters go for a Valentine´s Outing at Starbucks

Anny Nym

The 7 sisters make me think of the opening scenes of Little Women--if they got word that a neighbor was suffering on Christmas, they would totally pack up their breakfast and take it over to them.

Totally this. I think I would enjoy seeing those gals yukking it up at a Starbucks.

• 3 months later...
You know why I could never snark on the 7 Sisters? In addition to being genuine, they are not trying to change other people. They are the opposite of Always Learning and Titus 2 and Large Families On Purpose and many others we snark on here. They are what they are, they are happy with themselves but they're happy knowing people very different from themselves too. No judging. What a breath of fresh air compared to other conservative Christians.

Most of the snarkees seem judgemental, a like bit mean and definitely think they're better than the rest of us heathens. These girls seem sweet and genuinely happy, not fundie-forced happy. No judgement, no "our way is the best way," it's more just "hi, this is what we're doing."

They're not all grown women - the youngest three are 14, 15/16 and 17. Jessica, the oldest, is 27 or 28. I think this is quite a nice sisterly tradition, actually - something my sisters and I would do (if we didn't all have partners), and we're 30! When everyone involved shares a sense of humour, outings like that can be really fun even if objectively they'd seem mundane to other people.

On other 7 sisters matters, I think they do have somewhat wider ambitions and more freedom than people sometimes think on FJ. They earn and spend their own money (I'm sure one of them posted once about buying her own car, another bought a llama for their mini-farm, others buy their own musical instruments, etc.), they seem to be much more 'outward-looking' than the Maxwells and many other STAHDs we follow and have pretty normal social skills, several belong to a secular local symphony orchestra, they did 4-H, in their 'About Us' page they say things like Anna wanting to become a missionary in Africa and build schools there...I dunno, don't get me wrong, obviously they are fundies with a restricted life, but I don't think they're nearly as isolated as their dress and slight immaturity make them seem.

On the posts about the fair and the 4-H club they seem to be mixing freely with everyone. They refer to people in shorts as "our friend, " they're in the llama club (part of 4-H?) and it seems like the older girls are on the organizing committee for some of the activities. Can you picture any Duggars or Maxwells doing that?

And they won a lot of prizes at the fair, for their animals, for food, for sewing and for art.

Archived