IGNORED

The Duggars support a good cause (for once)

16strong

I am so used to seeing the Duggars attend anti-abortion rallies and liquor license protests as well as making anti-trans robocalls that this took me by complete surprise. From their FB:

Our friend Erin Merryn went through a lot of tragic abuse growing up, but thankfully she received Christian counseling and over the last few years she has become an advocate to encourage public schools to provide resources to teach young people about the danger of sexual abuse. Please watch her 700 club interview and ask your State Representative to pass Erin's Law in your state.

Of course the Gothard hypocrisy can't help but be noted, but still.

Good cause to teach the dangers of sexual abuse, but what about this would need the name Erin's Law? Also, fundies need to stop covering up sexual abuse. That would help matters.

To be blunt, I have a problem with them making sure we know she had CHRISTIAN counseling, as if what happened is the result of not being Christian.

I applaud the duggars for publicly highlighting their disgust for sexual abuse. Obviously their post is hypocritical considering they still support Gothard organisations, but rather than poke holes at them, I still think its's a noteworthy statement on their part to at least acknowledge that sexual abuse does happen, and it's a real thing that needs to be addressed through law reform.

I'm just going to sit here and wait for them to make a further comment about it. I'm betting on it.

I'm a cynic and think they are only doing this because of the fall-out they had a few years ago from that list of things wives have to do. It essentially said women should tolerate abuse.

Now they want to make it look like they support woman who leave abusive relationships.

And note, it's "Christian" counseling, not just counseling. I have a lot of problems with that.

"Christian" counseling can cause some major problems in and of itself!

I applaud the duggars for publicly highlighting their disgust for sexual abuse. Obviously their post is hypocritical considering they still support Gothard organisations, but rather than poke holes at them, I still think its's a noteworthy statement on their part to at least acknowledge that sexual abuse does happen, and it's a real thing that needs to be addressed through law reform.

I agree, but I also remember that Jim-Bob is a politician first and foremost and a ton of stuff has been aired lately about abuse in homeschool families.......

Any good will they could have gotten from me is ruined by them insisting on "Christian" counseling and hiding their Gothard connection.

Damn- I thought they bought Jill one of those very supportive nursing bras. Those are quite expensive, so I hope she did or does find the way to procure at least one good one.

In terms of counseling, there is wonderful faith based counseling available, but I'm not sure I'd use one that the Duggars suggested. I'm not really sure what the Duggars' religion actually is, but from what they have done to their kids in the name of their faith, I would concur that whatever it is, it's not anything others should be following.

The small church of the holy blacked out windows needs to be very selective, the fewer members the betters for all involved.

Good cause to teach the dangers of sexual abuse, but what about this would need the name Erin's Law? Also, fundies need to stop covering up sexual abuse. That would help matters.

To be blunt, I have a problem with them making sure we know she had CHRISTIAN counseling, as if what happened is the result of not being Christian.

All of this. And while public schools need that message, the latest news makes it apparent that a LOT of homeschooling situations need this message, too.

"Christian" counseling can cause some major problems in and of itself!
for sure I bet the children were blamed and had to forgive the monster.

There was an episode of Disappeared on ID Discovery about a young woman who disappeared in Albuquerque several years ago. This young woman had gotten involved with drugs as a teenager, but had gone through recovery and was now apparently clean. This woman's history included molestation as a little girl and rape when she was 15. She never got more than some prayer for inner healing and maybe a bit of Christian counseling. She would have been better off with appropriate SECULAR counseling to help this young woman with the trauma of what had happened to her.

Not all Christian counseling is bad, I have been to Christian therapist who while using prayer and the bible, also used plenty of secular therapy methods also. I wouldn't be lumping all Christian counselors into the same pile.

At least they are trying to raise awareness of a very serious subject

I am going to be a cynic as well and state that the only reason they are supporting this cause and woman is because she is super christian now. If the same law was championed by someone who was secular or atheist they would not care. The only reason they see validity in it is because a christian is doing it.

I think the law is a good idea and this woman seems to be a great victim advocate but I don't trust the Duggars' motives for supporting it.

I am going to be a cynic as well and state that the only reason they are supporting this cause and woman is because she is super christian now. If the same law was championed by someone who was secular or atheist they would not care. The only reason they see validity in it is because a christian is doing it.

I think the law is a good idea but I don't trust the Duggars' motives for supporting it.

yes they have not supported anything that was not uber christian.

Not all Christian counseling is bad, I have been to Christian therapist who while using prayer and the bible, also used plenty of secular therapy methods also. I wouldn't be lumping all Christian counselors into the same pile.

At least they are trying to raise awareness of a very serious subject

THIS!!! My therapist in AZ was Christian. She had a PhD from a secular university but her undergrad was Christian. I chose her for many reasons, not the least of which WAS that she was Christian.

My husband and I are currently going to a Christian marriage counselor. Why? Because the secular one we saw encouraged divorce and did not support us trying to work things out. The Christian counselor is in favor of us working things out...however she did tell us that if he gets abusive, then she strongly advises me leaving and getting law enforcement involved. (there's a long back story here that I really don't want to get into)

This is a big baby step for them. Sure, they're not the most helpful in this subject, but the fact they are acknowledging it is pretty important.

Honestly, it's better to take your chances with a "Christian" counselor than stay silent. Not every "Christian" is unreasonable and stuck in fundieland. Most are pretty disgusted by sexual abuse in my experience. Most counselors would be mandated reporters as far as minors are concerned.

And the Duggars speaking out about the fact that it does exist in that culture makes me hopeful that if something had happened to one of the kids (heaven forbid!), they would do what they could to protect them.

Baby steps... yes. But steps none-the-less in the right direction.

Just to point out a distinction:

Licensed counselors can be Christian (they have actual degrees and certifications).

So-called "Christian counselors" are not always licensed; often, an online "nouthetic" or "biblical" counseling course program is used as training, but all that teaches is what Bible verses to tell people to read and why prayer is better than action.

Christian counseling for the Duggars is the woman repenting for their sins of turning on a man. She wasn't godly enough. And they still are associated with Gothard. Okay. Hypocrisy much :roll:

This is nothing more than:

1) Damage control for recent bad publicity

2) Proselytizing

3) A mini rant against the evil public skool.

Does it require teachers or daycare providers to do anything? They're already mandatory reporters. Are there any additional legal requirements other than what they do now or is it just some more training?

I grew up in a parochial school where the pastor was a pedophile, so I don't have high hopes for anything like this. It's a law to make people feel good and make parents feel a little bit more safe, but in the end it does nothing.

Archived