IGNORED

Seriously? Steve Maxwell is Serious.

delilahdog11

Did anyone notice that Steve changed the name of his Dad's Corner to Seriously? Teri's Mom Corner remains unchanged. I guess that only Steve and his musings for men can be taken seriously. Steve is terribly obvious in his rebranding efforts and his rampant, well honed sexism and bigotry. I know it shouldn't bother me, but his blant oppression of the women he says that he loves and cherishes ignites an anger in me. Also he was SERIOUSLY grilling in a suit and tie. A man's work is serious business and always requires that a man dress seriously.

He changed it up a while ago but I never interpreted the name to mean that Steve was being serious—because really, the guy's not exactly such a barrel of laughs that he'd need a code word to change the tone of the conversation—but more like an incredulous "Seriously?" As in "Are you kidding me?" Like someone would say if you told them Steve won't allow friends outside the family or that he has to approve modest apparel for the women. "Seriously? He really does that?"

Steve's just turning the tables on us, because HE can't imagine why anyone WOULDN'T do things like that. "Seriously? You DON'T monitor your adult children's internet and phone usage? Let me pull a few random bible verses out of my ass and show you just how wrong you are."

Steve is serious. He is always serious. It must suck to be around him, he takes the joy out of everything.

Steve is serious. He is always serious. It must suck to be around him, he takes the joy out of everything.

This is where it would be interesting if he and Lori had a "who's holiest" debate. Neither of them seem to have the tiniest sense of humor. In Lori's podcast interview a month or two ago, she even shut down her interviewer a few times and talked over the other woman. I can see Steve getting pretty hot under the collar if a woman interrupted him or flatly told him he had the wrong ideas. :lol:

gladiatorbugs.com/enter-the-arena/40-giant-hornet-vs-mantis

I thought it was in answer to someone being incredulous. Like this:

Non-Fundie: Seriously? 1TonRamp is the equivalent of college? You have to shelter adults? Your kids couldn't play sports because they are an idol? The TV is the Beast? Seriously?!

Steve: Seriously.

It reminds me of Weekend Update with Seth Meyers and Amy Poeler, where there would be some news story of stupid people and they would go "Really?", Really?" I sometimes want to scream "REALLY" when reading about the ridicuous fundy crap.

This is where it would be interesting if he and Lori had a "who's holiest" debate. Neither of them seem to have the tiniest sense of humor. In Lori's podcast interview a month or two ago, she even shut down her interviewer a few times and talked over the other woman. I can see Steve getting pretty hot under the collar if a woman interrupted him or flatly told him he had the wrong ideas. :lol:

gladiatorbugs.com/enter-the-arena/40-giant-hornet-vs-mantis

I have a hard time imaging Stevehovah deigning to allow a mere woman to interview his holy self. :angelic-blueglow:

He changed it up a while ago but I never interpreted the name to mean that Steve was being serious—because really, the guy's not exactly such a barrel of laughs that he'd need a code word to change the tone of the conversation—but more like an incredulous "Seriously?" As in "Are you kidding me?" Like someone would say if you told them Steve won't allow friends outside the family or that he has to approve modest apparel for the women. "Seriously? He really does that?"

Steve's just turning the tables on us, because HE can't imagine why anyone WOULDN'T do things like that. "Seriously? You DON'T monitor your adult children's internet and phone usage? Let me pull a few random bible verses out of my ass and show you just how wrong you are."

I find Seriously and Mom's Corner are more interesting to read than the blog. The blog is more about Steve's obsession to impress everyone with his "perfect family". In Seriously and Mom's Corner, they each unwittingly reveal their overwhelming needs to control (Steve) and to submit (Teri).

I find Seriously and Mom's Corner are more interesting to read than the blog. The blog is more about Steve's obsession to impress everyone with his "perfect family". In Seriously and Mom's Corner, they each unwittingly reveal their overwhelming needs to control (Steve) and to submit (Teri).

Totally agree. I love reading through the old Corners. I never fail to find a bit of WTFery that I missed. The one thing that amazed me is that they were pompous, self-important, judgmental assholes from the very beginning and if anything, it's only gotten worse.

ETA: Reading back through the blog though, I really do think that Christopher has it in him to outdo Steve himself. Pompous, self-important and judgmental barely even scratch the surface with that one.

I agree about Christopher. As the rest of the family has gotten somewhat more relaxed about some things, he's just gotten more uptight. The most obvious example of this is the way he and his family dress in comparison to everyone else.

I agree about Christopher. As the rest of the family has gotten somewhat more relaxed about some things, he's just gotten more uptight. The most obvious example of this is the way he and his family dress in comparison to everyone else.

Yeah I have yet to see Melanie, Elissa, and the ABC girls in frumpers, in frumpers, while Teri and the Maxwell girls did away with them years ago.

Yeah I have yet to see Melanie, Elissa, and the ABC girls in frumpers, in frumpers, while Teri and the Maxwell girls did away with them years ago.

And that's all we've seen both NR Anna and Ruthanne wear. Ruthanne even wears full stalkings all the time. I wonder what Christopher thinks about the other women wearing less conservative clothes.

And that's all we've seen both NR Anna and Ruthanne wear. Ruthanne even wears full stalkings all the time. I wonder what Christopher thinks about the other women wearing less conservative clothes.

I doubt it :D

.... I love reading through the old Corners. I never fail to find a bit of WTFery that I missed. The one thing that amazed me is that they were pompous, self-important, judgmental assholes from the very beginning and if anything, it's only gotten worse.

ETA: Reading back through the blog though, I really do think that Christopher has it in him to outdo Steve himself. Pompous, self-important and judgmental barely even scratch the surface with that one.

When I attended a Maxwell dog-and-pony, one of the other attendees told me with a sincere, straight face that I would love the Maxwells "because they don't judge you." Her companion nodded vigorously in near-tears agreement about their sweet supportiveness.

Holy guacamole. If the Maxwells come off as non-judgmental and supportive, what the heck are/were the other Homeskool Gurus presenting?

When I attended a Maxwell dog-and-pony, one of the other attendees told me with a sincere, straight face that I would love the Maxwells "because they don't judge you." Her companion nodded vigorously in near-tears agreement about their sweet supportiveness.

Holy guacamole. If the Maxwells come off as non-judgmental and supportive, what the heck are/were the other Homeskool Gurus presenting?

Calling the Maxwells non-judgmental and supportive is as believable to me as my cat getting un-neutered.

Apparently, that person was unaware of the time Steve and Teri took Sarah to the airport for sole purpose of judging how women were dressed.

I can see how some fundies would consider them non-judgmental.

Steve and Teri both admit that having a ton of kids to care for and educate is difficult. They admit that homeschooling mothers have negative feelings towards homeschooling, caused by feeling inadequate to really give their children a meaningful education. They admit that SAHMs often feel overwhelmed. They indicate these feelings are normal and offer simple work-a-rounds to these women who really probably are not cut out for being teachers but whose philosophy traps them to it. They then couch everything in scripture, allowing the moms to get rid of any sense of guilt that they are not doing enough by their children.

So, even while the Maxwells judge anyone completely outside of fundiedom, and many in it, too, they are non-judgmental in ways that matter to fundies.

I can see how some fundies would consider them non-judgmental.

Steve and Teri both admit that having a ton of kids to care for and educate is difficult. They admit that homeschooling mothers have negative feelings towards homeschooling, caused by feeling inadequate to really give their children a meaningful education. They admit that SAHMs often feel overwhelmed. They indicate these feelings are normal and offer simple work-a-rounds to these women who really probably are not cut out for being teachers but whose philosophy traps them to it. They then couch everything in scripture, allowing the moms to get rid of any sense of guilt that they are not doing enough by their children.

So, even while the Maxwells judge anyone completely outside of fundiedom, and many in it, too, they are non-judgmental in ways that matter to fundies.

I call that a sales pitch. "We feel your pain, we know it's hard, but we've got the solution. BUY OUR STUFF!"

And they do pass judgement on other Christians, because if they're not doing it the Maxwell Way, they're doing it WRONG. Not banning the beast? WRONG! Not having daily bible time with the family AND on your own? WRONG! Not home churching? WRONG! And it goes on and on.

Seriously? Steve Maxwell is Serious.

Seriously? Steve Maxwell is a sick domineering creep.

Seriously? Steve Maxwell is an asshole.

Seriously? Steve Maxwell is a slave master (to his wife and daughters).

Seriously? Steve Maxwell is a tool.

Seriously? Steve Maxwell is a douche.

Seriously? Steve Maxwell is a hypocrite.

Seriously? Steve Maxwell is a control freak.

Seriously? Steve Maxwell has crazy eyes.

Seriously? Steve Maxwell has really clean ceiling fans and cabinets.

Archived