IGNORED

Duggar Property

snickerz

[search][/search]

Boob and DQ own the two large properties across the road from the main compound -- a 40+acre lot and a 17+acre lot for a total of about 57 1/2 acres.

ETA: In regard to Josh's house, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the day after closing (Jan. 20) JD, Joseph, Josiah, the twins, and maybe a couple of hired hands were put to work on it to get it ready for J&A. If Josh were going to make a run for office they'd need to establish residency. Maybe just owning the property would be enough to satisfy residency requirements, though. :shrug:

That's precisely what their buddy Rick Santorum did. He had an empty house he used to maintain PA residency. When exposed, the local cops were stationed 24/7 to prevent more evidence gathering

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[search][/search]

That's precisely what their buddy Rick Santorum did. He had an empty house he used to maintain PA residency. When exposed, the local cops were stationed 24/7 to prevent more evidence gathering

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about ol' Ricky's little scoot-around-the-law thing. Joshie learned a thing or two, apparently. Good one, Bickle2! Now he's stuck with a house that he may have to live in whether he likes it or not.

Unfortunately, JB works on his own time clock and schedule...Duggar time is not pro-active. He takes the Shoot-Ready-Aim approach.

It's uncanny to me that a man who makes his money off of telling the TV world that his way is sooooooooo much better than the average, is so far off of the mark. While at this point he may not be a dollar short, he generally is more than a few days late.

I wonder if he ROTFLHAO every time he looks at his financials? I would.

I also would be constantly looking over my shoulder for the TRUTH to catch up and expose me for what I really am-

Bumping my own post. OMFG, did I nail it or what!!!!!

Property taxes are super cheap in Arkansas. They do have state income tax so that makes up the difference.

Also, about all the freebies and JB & Michelle received for the TTH- just because they are 5 star grifters doesn't mean they didn't have property or even money in the bank. I have known many fundies who all always talking about debt free living and have their hose paid for but then dress their kids like orphans and always hint around for free meals, trips, clothes, etc. I think part of it was for show too. JB knew that people are more likely to reach deep in those pockets for love offerings, etc. if they see 15 kids in hand-me-downs than in clothes from the mall.

I think it'll be very telling how Jim Bob & Michelle end up living after all the children are gone. Unless this scandal ends up bankrupting them, I just kind of imagine they'd live pretty nicely. I can't picture them going to live with one of the kids and help out with grandchildren.

I cant imagine paying $2650 for rent, but guess it's easy when have a show. And I wonder if Josh actually paid that much.

"...so $250,000 a year. Even if he never works again. So, a good income for anyone in the US, unless you have 25 or 30 mouths to feed."

Guffaw!

It is a good income---certainly well above the avg. They will be eating tater tot casserole forever though. Although Michelle is not going to be able to have any more babies so the kids are going to all be moving out. Hopefully they will be able to get jobs.

I have a question since we are discussing JB's income and real estate portfolio.

People are suggesting he has maybe saved up to 5 million in cash. However, I think that is based on the total sum they are paid per episode. Doesn't the amount per episode have to be divided up between everybody on the show--including each of the children? I thought that it was law that children had to be paid individually, not just have their parents paid?

How is this working?

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about ol' Ricky's little scoot-around-the-law thing. Joshie learned a thing or two, apparently. Good one, Bickle2! Now he's stuck with a house that he may have to live in whether he likes it or not.

There are far worse problems to have than "having" to live in a home one owns outright. Owning ones home gives a good base of security - Josh and Anna can live quite cheaply if they need to with their housing costs taken care of.

There are far worse problems to have than "having" to live in a home one owns outright. Owning ones home gives a good base of security - Josh and Anna can live quite cheaply if they need to with their housing costs taken care of.

And I know that people want to laugh at that crappy house, but the Duggars have time and lots of free hands to fix it up. Fixed up, that house is perfectly fine and certainly fine for 2, unemployed HS grads and their 4 kids. There are plenty of young families who would love to live in that house.

I have a question since we are discussing JB's income and real estate portfolio.

People are suggesting he has maybe saved up to 5 million in cash. However, I think that is based on the total sum they are paid per episode. Doesn't the amount per episode have to be divided up between everybody on the show--including each of the children? I thought that it was law that children had to be paid individually, not just have their parents paid?

How is this working?

If you are basing this on Calfornia law then think again. That was one of the issues surrounding the Gosselins. PA law (Until recently) did not protect minors appearing on TV. My guess is the same goes for Ark.

"...so $250,000 a year. Even if he never works again. So, a good income for anyone in the US, unless you have 25 or 30 mouths to feed."

Guffaw!

It is a good income---certainly well above the avg. They will be eating tater tot casserole forever though. Although Michelle is not going to be able to have any more babies so the kids are going to all be moving out. Hopefully they will be able to get jobs.

Quoting to assert that I made that comment and it was basically a wild guess. I do suspect JB is getting good financial advice from somebody who knows what they're doing, but there's no way for us to know what kind of nest egg he's sitting on. The fact that there is a revokeable trust is what suggests to me that he has advisors guiding him. It doesn't make sense to establish a revokeable trust and not put your cash in it. And once you put your cash in it, your advisor will, um, advise you to draw on the interest and leave the principle alone, so it continues to generate interest.

If you are basing this on Calfornia law then think again. That was one of the issues surrounding the Gosselins. PA law (Until recently) did not protect minors appearing on TV. My guess is the same goes for Ark.

There is no income protection for minors working in TV in Arkansas. Only their parents are compensated for their appearances.

Even the few states that have Coogan type laws to protect child actors don't necessarily extend to reality show kids because they are not classified as performers.

What happens at 18 is anyone's guess. TLC most likely has contracts with all regularly appearing adults, but Jim Bob probably has the unmarried daughters hand over their earnings for "their keep".

• 11 months later...

I just ran across this video about the rental laws in Arkansas. As I watched, it suddenly became clear why Jim Bob loves being a real estate mogul in Arkansas. The video says they would vote again in 2015. Does anyone know if they managed to get some reforms through?

27 minutes ago, frugaldreams said:

I just ran across this video about the rental laws in Arkansas. As I watched, it suddenly became clear why Jim Bob loves being a real estate mogul in Arkansas. The video says they would vote again in 2015. Does anyone know if they managed to get some reforms through?

This is awful. Hope the law is changed PDQ, if it hasn't already happened. 

This (possibly) explains how J-B knows he can house all his brood right beside him in the future.  

Those poor kids will never escape. Jill and Derrick will be back as soon as Jill is pregnant. No worries, just stick a pin in his little map of properties and BOOM, there goes another tennent.

A quick mop and dust up by the crew and hand over the still warm keys to Derrick.

Spit Spot, job done.

I'm am so disturbed by what I just watched.

1. The landlords can use and waste public money(that could be used for other things) to evict tenants for being 1 day late. Even mortgage companies give you a 10 day grace period.

2. The landlord isn't required to keep up the home. That is such BS!!! If you are renting it should be the landlords responsibly to keep up on the repairs. The aren't landlords they are literal slumlords!!!

3. Jail time for failure to relocate, where in the world can you find another place to live in 10 days? Plus I don't care what anyone's else thinks that is a literal debtors prison!

Such a corrupt system going on. I'm so ashamed to say I'm a American. It's almost seems like it's a crime to be lower middle class/ poor in this country. We should allow laws like this to exist in this country. It really pisses me off that lobbyists have such power that they can literally turn votes that help the majority of people against them, and help the wealthy. It really is sad. I hope this law is overturned soon.

Wow. This explains some things, such as when the kids helped to clean up a rental property and the house was just trashed. At the time I thought that Boob was just unlucky with a tenant, but now I wonder if other things were at play. Regardless, this is just ridiculous.  I'm a renter and the company that owns my building has a very tight policy in regards to late payments, but it doesn't come close to AR law.

This is pretty shocking to hear, as a person in general but especially being a renter myself! And luckily where I am the biggest issue with renters rights these days is whether landlords should be able to disallow pets, given how completely out of reach the property ladder is for most people now in our crazy realty market.

I have to say though, I feel like if a situation like this came up with Jim Boob, it would be out in the open by now given his B/C level fame. There's no way he could pull the slumlord/unfair eviction card and not have someone blow the whistle on him!

What a waste of tax payer money to put someone in jail for nonpayment of rent, and what a terrible set of laws that do nothing to help those who need it most. Turns my stomach. This takes slum lording to a whole new low. 

Well, the molestation rumors had existed for 10+ years before being revealed as true. This will be treated the same way or not even brought to light. These people disgust me!

@Kayleigh83 said
"I have to say though, I feel like if a situation like this came up with Jim Boob, it would be out in the open by now given his B/C level fame."

Couple of things I recall reading/hearing in my Duggar adventures the past few years:

<Second hand info so take with a grain of salt>

The guy that was renting Ben & Jessa's/Josh & Anna's (Grandma's property) before Ben and Jessa had a mold problem that JB wouldn't fix; not until Ben and Jessa moved in that is.

A woman told a story of renting a home from JB and he wanted to place a campaign sign in the front yard for one of his cronies.  The woman (a liberal) asked him not to, and she was threatened with eviction.

The landlord/tenant laws in AR CAN be dicey but most of the time aren't used to such an extreme. I broke my lease on my apartment to move out of state and all that happened was I gave up my security deposit ($500). They could have hit me for 5 more months of rent.

Also, it can take weeks if not months to get through the backlog in the court system. If a tenant can pay the past due amount and any court fees prior to the hearing the landlord has to continue the rental. 

If I was the renter at the Duggar house with the mold I'd have called the county code enforcement office and requested an inspection. They can force remediation on owners at that point.

Sounds just like something they would love since they grifter their way through a few rentals when they couldn't afford housing way back when. 

Archived