IGNORED

Maxwells explain it all for us

kpmom

The Maxwells (well, Teri, Sarah and Steve) just put videos up on their blog explaining their books, just in case you couldn't figure out if you wanted to buy them or not.

Interesting to hear them speak for those of us who haven't heard them in person.

Teri (only one I've listened to yet) reminds me of those very sincere, sweety sweet women on Christian tv talk shows.

ETA: Just listened to Sarah (side pony tail alert). First time I really saw the intense Maxwell eyes on Sarah. Saw them on others, but never on her before.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just watching them. Poor Sarah sounds like she's as bored by her books as the rest of us. And Steve doesn't strike me as someone who is very good at public speaking.

Sarah is so childlike :shock: Even her facial expressions

I agree. She reminded me just a little of Mrs. Pecan Thief. Not completely, but somewhat.

Holy crap, someone has a lot to learn about flattering lighting. Harsh much? Eek.

And no, Sarah (who looks just like Anna in the video). I can't possibly imagine that brothers and sisters could like each other. No way. I'll be sharing this unbelievable nugget with my best friend, AKA my SISTER. I bet she'll be as astounded as I am. :roll:

Teri actually sounds a lot warmer than I thought she would.

Steve is a snake oil salesman. He reminds me of Bob Balaban, looks wise.

Sarah is not at all convincing and needed to have practiced reading her script a few more times.

The way she says 'homeschooling excitement' while practically sighing tells a lot.

So Maxwells, you don't want anyone to influence your own children but you believe other families should want their kids to act a certain way because the Moody children do. Hmmm.

I agree, Terie does sound warmer than I ever imagined. I always thought she would have a know-it-all tone. She would probably have a lot of real-life friends if it weren't for Steve.

Sarah is so... lifeless. So flat. God I'm so sad for her. :(

Well, maybe spoke too soon. Watched Teries second video and got the holier than thou vibe right off.

And Steves video- wow. I couldn't tell if he was having trouble reading off a monitor or just talking. Either way, he was struggling. And the sad smile at the end was pitiful.

I was a bit surprised at Teri's voice. I always imagined her to be very quiet, reserved, and shy. I was shocked at the confidence in her voice. I guess I always imagined Steve would have beat any confidence out of her.

It's so sad, really. They are so convinced that they are the only family that knows how to live. That God choose them to put upon a pedestal to teach the world.

That's why the girl-women will never marry. There is no man who Steve would give his daughter to. His sons will marry 'cause they will control and mold their wife.

They left their church cause Steve couldn't stand to receive advice from other men.

Well, maybe spoke too soon. Watched Teries second video and got the holier than thou vibe right off.

And Steves video- wow. I couldn't tell if he was having trouble reading off a monitor or just talking. Either way, he was struggling. And the sad smile at the end was pitiful.

Nonsense! He makes a great conversationalist. :lol:

Miss Maudie would call them "Foot washing Baptists."

(I listened to To Kill A Mockingbird on my long run yesterday.)

Seriously though, when she described the Radley household, I pictured Steve Maxwell.

For being in her 30's, Sarah has a very youthful voice. She still sounds like a teenager. I also never realized how much she looks like Teri until now. And Teri? Seriously, if you're going to advertise Making Great Conversationalists, please, please, PLEASE don't stumble when all you're doing is reading words off a sheet of paper.

That was painful to watch. They have no sense of when to pause or what to put an emphasis on.

Perhaps if they watched TV they would have a better sense how to act in front of a camera.

I can't snark too much-- I used to coach a high school debate team, and Sarah sounds exactly like them! It's really hard to sound natural while reading from a script, which is why we often taught the kids to use simple outlines instead of planning every word.

Hearing Sarah talk for the first time was mind-blowing. It made me sad. She really IS a real person who has been damaged beyond belief. :( Sigh.

Apart from the stilted line readings, I think the videos would have been helped immensely by cutting away from the talking head and showing someone flipping through the book, text excerpts from the book shown on screen while the narrator continues to talk, etc. Having them look straight into the camera and talk for two straight minutes is tedious at best, and creepy at worst.

I can't snark too much-- I used to coach a high school debate team, and Sarah sounds exactly like them! It's really hard to sound natural while reading from a script, which is why we often taught the kids to use simple outlines instead of planning every word.

But Sarah is in her 30s...

Steve is a snake oil salesman. He reminds me of Bob Balaban, looks wise.

Thank you so much for pointing that out. He has always reminded me of someone but I couldn't put my finger on who exactly.

Teri comes off as being the more intelligent and authentic one of the bunch. Poor Sarah sounds like she is a bit off, a la Priscilla. She can't seem to form coherent, interesting thoughts on her own. Her reading of the cue card was very stilted. So was Steve's. Teri's videos had a much more natural flow to it.

And I agree with everyone else. Its sad how they think that they're the only ones who know how to truly live.

She does have a youthful.voice.

Did anyone ever watch Reading Rainbow? Something about Sarah's video reminds me of that. They use to have real students (rather than actors) give book reviews, I think that might be what I'm thinking of. Plus that slow music.

Side pony tail?-- check

Pink to with white collar/shirt underneath? check

No natural pauses during sales pitch ? Check

[bBvideo 560,340:3pc4nnsi]

[/bBvideo]

Napoleon-Dynamite-tina-majorino-1676023-700-377.jpg

[bBvideo 560,340:3pc4nnsi]

[/bBvideo]

Archived