IGNORED

Move over Kelly, Cheryl REALLY knows how to save $$$$

Koala

Cheryl has thoughtfully written and tagged a whole series of posts on this subject: treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/search/label/Loving%20a%20Rebel%20Series

I haven't read them in a long time, but they're pretty eye-popping, iirc.

Here's a bonus post about her accidental abortion, because Cheryl's flavor of crazy is one of my favorites: treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2011/12/accidental-abortion.html

If that abortion story is true, if I was in her place, I'd be pissed. If it's true, she wasn't given the proper tests, and only agreed because she believed she had an ectopic pregnancy when an ultrasound would have shown a cyst.

I have the other link open in another window to read shortly.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand not wanting a dog that goes after livestock on a farm, but why couldn't they have rehomed him to a more suitable family?

They weren't even sure which dog did it. They decided it was that pup since he had more blood on him. Another dog could have done it, and Sergeant had the most fun after.

Clove is a good pain killer and has some antimicrobial properties. A good home remedy for teething babies is cold slices of green pepper for the baby to chew on. My grandmother, mother, and sister did this. I guess that's why we all love green pepper.

I need some links. I must read this.

The stuff regarding her mother is tagged "Bringing Home Mom". There are three entries. I'm not sure where you'll find the stuff about fostering and adopting Sabrina - they weren't allowed to publish her name while they were fostering her so they'll be a bit harder to search for.

I think if I was dating/married to someone who killed my pet, that would be it. I would definitely divorce them and never forgive them or want to see them again. My pets come before romantic relationships, as they were here first.

I don't advocate ignoring medical science when it's needed, but I do try home-remedies my doctors have okay'd first. That's the difference between me and Cheryl. I'll go to doctors. I won't slap an oil on a severed arm and swear the oil will make it grow back, or cure cancer, or whatever.

The difference is knowing when help is needed, and being willing to seek it.

I'm allergic to penicillin and a lot of drugs, so I try to use them very sparingly to not build up a tolerance to pain meds, or help breed super-bugs.

Yep. That's what my dad does. He's done some really quack-worthy stuff for non-serious and/or non-immediate health issues. If it works, great! If it doesn't, then doctor-type folks come into play. I once said to him when he was talking about sleeping with soap in his socks to help with leg cramps (seriously, when I said quack-worthy, I meant it!), "You realize it's probably the placebo effect, right?" And he said, "Yeah, probably, but if it's working because of the placebo effect, at least it's working!" 8-) I think he's moved on from that one. Because it was weird.

And one of his quack-ish recommendations (WAY less weird than the soap thing, guys!) helped me to such an extreme degree that for a few days I was sure he was some sort of magician. :shifty-kitty:

Yep. That's what my dad does. He's done some really quack-worthy stuff for non-serious and/or non-immediate health issues. If it works, great! If it doesn't, then doctor-type folks come into play. I once said to him when he was talking about sleeping with soap in his socks to help with leg cramps (seriously, when I said quack-worthy, I meant it!), "You realize it's probably the placebo effect, right?" And he said, "Yeah, probably, but if it's working because of the placebo effect, at least it's working!" 8-) I think he's moved on from that one. Because it was weird.

And one of his quack-ish recommendations (WAY less weird than the soap thing, guys!) helped me to such an extreme degree that for a few days I was sure he was some sort of magician. :shifty-kitty:

Currently I'm on a ridiculous number of conventional pharmaceutical prescriptions medications due to a disabling health condition. Most of which have potentially awful short or long term side effects.

But generally, I've often had better luck with non- " western" treatments. Sometimes modern folk remedies - Vicks for rashes - Sometimes from traditional medicines from other cultures - the Mexican herbal store had something that worked for a reoccurring severe UTI after a string of prescribed anti-biotics didn't. There are also foods or herbs that can be found anywhere that family members have used very successfully for a variety of issues.

I am always amazed at the sheer ballsy combination of arrogance and idiocy of many medical professionals view that there must be controlled, peer reviewed, medical journal approved double blind studies proving something works. And if no such studies exist, it must be garbage or a placebo effect.

I'm pretty darn sure pennicillin or aspirin would have been exactly as effective both before and after studies proved it. A study can only prove, or disprove something if a study is done.

I'm not, at all, disputing the importance of the scientific method, or the significant improvements in life expectancy brought about by conventional western medicine -- but it's not the be all and end all of health care either.

Currently I'm on a ridiculous number of conventional pharmaceutical prescriptions medications due to a disabling health condition. Most of which have potentially awful short or long term side effects.

But generally, I've often had better luck with non- " western" treatments. Sometimes modern folk remedies - Vicks for rashes - Sometimes from traditional medicines from other cultures - the Mexican herbal store had something that worked for a reoccurring severe UTI after a string of prescribed anti-biotics didn't. There are also foods or herbs that can be found anywhere that family members have used very successfully for a variety of issues.

I am always amazed at the sheer ballsy combination of arrogance and idiocy of many medical professionals view that there must be controlled, peer reviewed, medical journal approved double blind studies proving something works. And if no such studies exist, it must be garbage or a placebo effect.

I'm pretty darn sure pennicillin or aspirin would have been exactly as effective both before and after studies proved it. A study can only prove, or disprove something if a study is done.

I'm not, at all, disputing the importance of the scientific method, or the significant improvements in life expectancy brought about by conventional western medicine -- but it's not the be all and end all of health care either.

I agree. And really, who's going to decide to spend the incredible amounts of money it takes testing a lot of natural remedies and getting FDA-approval to say that this scent can relax and help with headaches, or that banana peels on the feet can help with cramps, or that honey can help prevent infections on minor cuts, or duct tape helping with warts, when there's no way to make the money back? That doesn't mean everything should be written off. Pharmaceutical companies are businesses, they want to invest in what they can control, and they won't succeed in getting duct tape and bananas off the market, so why spend the money?

It's really the staunch quacks who won't even consider doctors because of their own pride who make all natural remedies look like they've got to have fools for fans.

There was a time when the smallpox vaccine was seen as very foolish. I don't think it ever got FDA approval in the first place, ever, even after the FDA came to exist.

Wow, this is a lot of snark-worthy material for one lady. Just glancing through her blog I immediately started to feel bad for her oldest daughter. I don't buy her "accidental abortion" story for one second, don't even want to know about the weird affair she was having with whoever got her pregnant. I refuse to read the dog story because I will get too mad. Fundies do have a special way of killing off their animals. She is cray.

Talk to my doctor. Testing to confirm strep. Not just sore throat, must be strep. That would be stupid. I also didn't say to just take that as a cure. My doctor suggested trying that, and it it didn't start getting better, use the script. I'm allergic to most antibiotics, and the ones I'm not wreak havoc on my body pretty bad. It sucks.

That's pretty much what is advocated where I live. Not all Strep A infections have to be treated with antibiotics. Complications are actually pretty rare. Overuse of antibiotics is a big no no, lessons we are now learning from their overuse.

Minor strep A infections

Most infections caused by strep A are unpleasant, but don't pose a serious threat to your health. These include:

throat infections (pharyngitis or "strep throat") and tonsillitis – which can cause a sore throat, swollen glands and discomfort when swallowing

Most throat infections clear up on their own, normally 7 days, taking antibiotics in non complicated infection does not shorten the suffering greatly. Try telling that to the general public. Or even me, I immediately feel better when I have an anti-biotic (totally irrational response :lol: after one day.)

I'm in no way advocating Mrs Wackadoodle the fundy doc there, she's a piece of work! Just the fact that we all need to change our attitude toward antibiotics and what we seek them for. This past winter there has been a huge drive here posters, public announcements about when it is appropriate to seek doctor/drugs and when it is safe to ...not. I suspect it will take time.

A got yelled at by a doctor for not taking my antibiotics for strep once. I didn't want to take them because sometimes they cause me to breakout. I thought maybe it would go away on its own. Threw away the script. It didn't go away. She was really mad. My fever was so high, I was seeing things that aren't there. It was hard to put one foot in front of the other just to function. I went back in to the doctor's office and told the Medical Assistant I didn't take the medicine...The doctor immediately (you know usually you wait) comes in and starts lecturing me. She talked to me about it possibly causing heart damage and all. So yeah, never again will I not get treated for strep.

Clove is a good pain killer and has some antimicrobial properties. A good home remedy for teething babies is cold slices of green pepper for the baby to chew on. My grandmother, mother, and sister did this. I guess that's why we all love green pepper.

I picked up some clove oil from the vitamin shop today and read about people who put a drop on their toothbrush to brush their teeth. I tried it, I put one ONE drop on my toothbrush and holy mutherfucking shit it burned, BURNED my mouth. My lips and tounge were temporary numbed. The point is please be very cautious if you use this on a baby. Dilute it, a lot, and test it on yourself first.

I'm all for limiting antibiotic use, but every time I've had strep throat it was absolute hell. Excruciating pain every time I swallowed and there is no way if last a week like that. I'd also be severely dehydrated.

I'm sorry and I know many people will disagree but small children need milk. Yes a well planned diet can cut it out but let's be real - most parents aren't that knowledgable and when the parents are cutting corners on diet the child probably isn't getting adequate nutrients or protein without it. Small children are meant to nurse for several years and since most american children do not, they need a calorie dense foods.

My older kids don't care much for dairy but I sure relied on milk with my son. I am reading this as if you choose not to use dairy that there needs to have a replacement to get the nutrients. I was excited to try almond milk and disappointed in its lack of protein and other nutrients.

The biggest thing with antibiotics and strep is not just killing the bacteria but killing it quickly so that you don't spread it to others. It's a public health issue as much as a private one. If you are relying on oils to kills strep, please stay at home!

I am firmly in the camp that when your choice negatively impacts others, then your choice should be limited. Just like the anti-vaxxers - not only do they put the public at risk, they greatly impact those who cannot be vaccinated and who rely on the rest of us to stay safe. And the anti-gays - there is no negative impact on anything but Ben and Joe's wallets if Ben and Joe get married in a big fancy wedding on the public square- in fact, there are long-term benefits to both Ben and Joe, the wedding economy and society as a whole. I feel the same way about these religious right whack jobs who conflate their religion with what is right for everyone else.

Everything we do impacts someone else in some way. Choices are not made in a vacuum. If Cheryl is spreading communicable illnesses through her kids, she is an idiot. I don't know when we lost our sense of community and communal responsibility in this world.

I'm all for limiting antibiotic use, but every time I've had strep throat it was absolute hell. Excruciating pain every time I swallowed and there is no way if last a week like that. I'd also be severely dehydrated.

Yeah overuse is a huge problem, from patients and those prescribing. Obviously somebody testing positive for strep with all the danger signs, high temp, swollen glands, pus and symptoms worsening over 48 hours it would be pretty stupid not to get treatment. Problem is there is a large majority of people who mistake any and all sore throats as strep a. Doctors are pressurised into prescribing because that is what the patient expects. It's about educating people, for instance antibiotic use in childhood ear infections is dropping, parents are more knowledgable and aware say even than five years ago.

Somebody mentioned UTI's in the elderly which as it happens is a focus in my health board at the moment. There is more education going on about prevention, causes and how the two most common antibiotics prescribed are now next to useless. It's a real issue if you are aware how this type of infection can negatively impact an individual with a fragile cognitive state in the first instance. Constant monitoring of fluid intakes, limiting aggravating factors, something as simple as ensuring that a person is taking in enough fluid for their body weight on a daily basis and limiting caffeine and other irritants makes a marked improvement. Sampling for sensitivity to specific antibiotics prevents blanket prescribing of common and now ineffective antibiotics.

All that to say it's about stewardship of prescribing, that use of antibiotics needs to be strategic and not the pattern of broad spectrum mis-prescribing of the past. Both doctors and patients need to be educated. It's easy for a doctor to placate a patient with what they want rather than what they need. That's a big problem. I would imagine in the US with money being an issue, complicates it also.

Anyway, my pet project of the moment, so excuse the verbosity. The list of illnesses which people 'think' are cured by antibiotics and the actual list of those that are is quite enlightening. Seeing the effects of MRSA or C-diff might help.

I agree. And really, who's going to decide to spend the incredible amounts of money it takes testing a lot of natural remedies and getting FDA-approval to say that this scent can relax and help with headaches, or that banana peels on the feet can help with cramps, or that honey can help prevent infections on minor cuts, or duct tape helping with warts, when there's no way to make the money back? That doesn't mean everything should be written off. Pharmaceutical companies are businesses, they want to invest in what they can control, and they won't succeed in getting duct tape and bananas off the market, so why spend the money?

It's really the staunch quacks who won't even consider doctors because of their own pride who make all natural remedies look like they've got to have fools for fans.

There was a time when the smallpox vaccine was seen as very foolish. I don't think it ever got FDA approval in the first place, ever, even after the FDA came to exist.

I am totally fascinated by the duct tape ..does that work?? :lol: Because anything has to be better than freezing/burning them off if it works.

I love hearing old remedies and what different cultures use.

Manuka honey is actually prescribed here in tissue/viability wound care. Interestingly a lot of effective dressings contain seaweed.

Others I can think of. Feverfew actually grew in my garden and I chewed a leaf for a headache when I was young and stupid. It actually worked but I would not advise it.

Gargling with salt water does help with sore throat. It's as effective as the numbing sprays which cost a fortune, if a bit gross.

I think somebody mentioned clove oil. Strong stuff mind. Tea tree oil and aloe all have good uses. Eating live yogurt in country of travel has been effective for me, has helped my frequent Delhi belly and use of anti-emetics and antidiarrhoeal medicines.

Any amount of bread poultices, my gran used to swear by them :lol:

Hot toddy. Now this absolutely works for me, boiling water, organic honey, fresh lemon, and a good malt whisky. I have personally studied this many times...hot water-rehydrates, freshly squeezed lemon-Vit C boost for the immune system, honey-anti-bacterial and soothing...Whisky, now the trick is to put about 60% of this in your mix and trust me you will feel marvellous and won't give a flying fuck how ill you are :lol:

There must be thousands of anecdotal cultural cures in the world.

I used a potato to get rid of a wart as a kid! I just rubbed a cut potato on the wart a few times a day for 5-10 minutes and it went away eventually...

Yeah overuse is a huge problem, from patients and those prescribing. Obviously somebody testing positive for strep with all the danger signs, high temp, swollen glands, pus and symptoms worsening over 48 hours it would be pretty stupid not to get treatment. Problem is there is a large majority of people who mistake any and all sore throats as strep a. Doctors are pressurised into prescribing because that is what the patient expects. It's about educating people, for instance antibiotic use in childhood ear infections is dropping, parents are more knowledgable and aware say even than five years ago.

Somebody mentioned UTI's in the elderly which as it happens is a focus in my health board at the moment. There is more education going on about prevention, causes and how the two most common antibiotics prescribed are now next to useless. It's a real issue if you are aware how this type of infection can negatively impact an individual with a fragile cognitive state in the first instance. Constant monitoring of fluid intakes, limiting aggravating factors, something as simple as ensuring that a person is taking in enough fluid for their body weight on a daily basis and limiting caffeine and other irritants makes a marked improvement. Sampling for sensitivity to specific antibiotics prevents blanket prescribing of common and now ineffective antibiotics.

All that to say it's about stewardship of prescribing, that use of antibiotics needs to be strategic and not the pattern of broad spectrum mis-prescribing of the past. Both doctors and patients need to be educated. It's easy for a doctor to placate a patient with what they want rather than what they need. That's a big problem. I would imagine in the US with money being an issue, complicates it also.

Anyway, my pet project of the moment, so excuse the verbosity. The list of illnesses which people 'think' are cured by antibiotics and the actual list of those that are is quite enlightening. Seeing the effects of MRSA or C-diff might help.

At what point are doctors going to start taking responsibility for this stuff, though? I don't care how much a patient "pressures" a doctor, the doctor has to stand firm. If doctors are that easily swayed into prescribing stuff, then I have the wrong doctor because it was like pulling teeth to get prescribed nine pills a month for my chronic migraines (which occur way more than nine times a month, I should add). I can't even talk her into approving Botox for me because, "Well, there are risks ... "

I can't even tell you the last time I was on antibiotics -- and that was probably for an infected wisdom tooth I had maybe a decade ago. Two of my kids (12 and 9) have never been on an antibiotic -- ever. My 10 yo was treated exactly once with abx. If doctors are prescribing all these pills like candy, then someone NEEDS to put pressure on them -- to knock it the hell off. My sister has MRSA on her hand. My mom nearly died of C. diff. once. These doctors who are carelessly and recklessly prescribing abx for non-abx illnesses (like colds) are directly responsible for this -- not the patients, who should be being properly educated rather than placated.

I am totally fascinated by the duct tape ..does that work?? :lol: Because anything has to be better than freezing/burning them off if it works.

Glad you asked. :)

http://www.warts.org/duct-tape-wart-removal.html

It works (85% or so of the time). This was studied and published at my place of employment. :)

So it's not just a "folk" idea. It's not 100% - but neither is freezing them.

(I have tried this and it worked for me. It's kind of a pain to keep the duct tape constantly in place on a hand, though. Easier to deal with on a foot).

ETA - There are a lot of tales about things that "work" on warts, but don't really. Warts are caused by a virus. Eventually, most (not all) people's immune system develops antibodies against the virus and the warts may go away because of the immune response. This leads to the thought that whatever was tried was what made the wart go away, when it was actually immune response. The problem with waiting for the immune response is that it can take a very long time, and for some people, doesn't happen.

I'm a huge believer in medical science and prescription medication, but I swear by cranberry supplements to prevent UTIs. I used to get UTIs pretty frequently and they were excruciating. It seemed I was always on Bactrim. I heard that cranberry "juice" was helpful but was leery about the sugar content of most "cranberry juice cocktails." I found cranberry supplements at Costco and started taking one each morning. I haven't had a UTI in over a year.

Sorry about being WAY off topic and TMI. :embarrassed:

At what point are doctors going to start taking responsibility for this stuff, though? I don't care how much a patient "pressures" a doctor, the doctor has to stand firm. If doctors are that easily swayed into prescribing stuff, then I have the wrong doctor because it was like pulling teeth to get prescribed nine pills a month for my chronic migraines (which occur way more than nine times a month, I should add). I can't even talk her into approving Botox for me because, "Well, there are risks ... "

I can't even tell you the last time I was on antibiotics -- and that was probably for an infected wisdom tooth I had maybe a decade ago. Two of my kids (12 and 9) have never been on an antibiotic -- ever. My 10 yo was treated exactly once with abx. If doctors are prescribing all these pills like candy, then someone NEEDS to put pressure on them -- to knock it the hell off. My sister has MRSA on her hand. My mom nearly died of C. diff. once. These doctors who are carelessly and recklessly prescribing abx for non-abx illnesses (like colds) are directly responsible for this -- not the patients, who should be being properly educated rather than placated.

I hear you. I also agree. The answer though? Not a clue. It's easier when there is one body in control like the NHS. Doesn't prevent but there is oversight. In private practise and individual providers I would not have a clue.

My experience matches yours in the past 10 years, prior to that I remember being prescribed more anti-biotics, probably in hindsight ineffectively. My 13 year old was prescribed them exactly once in her life systemically. Topical or drops twice.

MRSA sucks. Sorry for your sister. A colleague of mine had it in her nose. C-diff is just downright scary, more so in the elderly or immuno-compromised :(

I'm a huge believer in medical science and prescription medication, but I swear by cranberry supplements to prevent UTIs. I used to get UTIs pretty frequently and they were excruciating. It seemed I was always on Bactrim. I heard that cranberry "juice" was helpful but was leery about the sugar content of most "cranberry juice cocktails." I found cranberry supplements at Costco and started taking one each morning. I haven't had a UTI in over a year.

Sorry about being WAY off topic and TMI. :embarrassed:

No need to apologize. I haven't had a UTI in many years, but I remember how awful they can be. If I were a frequent sufferer, I'd be willing to try just about anything to prevent them.

Glad you found something that works for you. :)

Archived