IGNORED

Move over Kelly, Cheryl REALLY knows how to save $$$$

Koala

It appears that Cheryl has some sort of gluten intolerance, so it doesn't appear like they get carb heavy meals. So no meat, few carbs...I really don't know what these kids eat.

There are plenty of carbohydrate-dense foods that doesn't contain gluten: rice, potatoes, other starchy vegetables like corn and beans...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a long-time healthcare professional.

If a person has Strep (i.e. an infection with group A Streptococcus) - this requires treatment with an antibiotic. This has to do with the fact that untreated group A Strep can cause rheumatic heart disease or glomerulonephritis (kidney damage). Gargling with peroxide is insufficient to treat Strep (someone - not Koala - suggested that earlier in this thread).

Also - not every sore throat "Strep". It is only Strep if the Streptococcus bacteria is present. This can be demonstrated by testing.

Yep.

Growing up I had a friend who was almost certainly a carrier for strep. I got strep so frequently that one time when I was 10, my mother just didn't take me in to the doctor, figuring I would get over it. I didn't. Instead, it progressed into Scarlet Fever that was showing signs of progressing into rheumatic fever. Until this year, I have never been so sick in my life. When you start to feel your internal organs shutting down, it is terrifying.

My memory is fuzzy because I had such a high fever and was in a lot of pain, but I remember my doctor ran tons of tests because he couldn't believe what he was seeing. Scarlet Fever in the developed world just isn't seen anymore.

Anyways, it is super dangerous if strep progresses. I had to get 4 of those giant strep shots at once because they needed to overdose me with antibiotics IMMEDIATELY to halt the damage.

And just this year I've had kidney issues at 27. Unrelated? Possibly. But that's really young, and with no other reasons for the issues (I hardly drink and don't use drugs), it suggests that they may have sustained some damage during the illness.

Human children don't really need to drink much cow's milk. It's actually weird for a species to drink the milk of another species. Plus many, many people have some degree of lactose intolerance. Most Americans, even children, get more than enough protein from a standard (or even somewhat substandard) diet.

That said, young children especially do need calcium and vitamins from some source, and I doubt Cheryl's kids get to gorge on supplementary products if they can't even afford milk. Plus milk does not cause ear infections. And NOT drinking milk will not improve the state of your bones and teeth. If Cheryl's kids do have unusually strong teeth, it probably has more to do with genetics than their diet.

Fundies have a unique ability to take a reasonable idea and ride it all the way to CrazyTown. Then recommend that everyone else join them :?

http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/5950/Treasures-from-a-Shoebox

Anyone know where these rebellious daughter posts are?

Cheryl has thoughtfully written and tagged a whole series of posts on this subject: treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/search/label/Loving%20a%20Rebel%20Series

I haven't read them in a long time, but they're pretty eye-popping, iirc.

Here's a bonus post about her accidental abortion, because Cheryl's flavor of crazy is one of my favorites: treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2011/12/accidental-abortion.html

Cheryl has thoughtfully written and tagged a whole series of posts on this subject: treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/search/label/Loving%20a%20Rebel%20Series

I haven't read them in a long time, but they're pretty eye-popping, iirc.

Here's a bonus post about her accidental abortion, because Cheryl's flavor of crazy is one of my favorites: treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2011/12/accidental-abortion.html

Well. I read that expecting to find out that she'd accidentally taken some abortifacent herb or another. But no ... medical malpractice it is. Not sure I believe it. I rather wonder if she had a type of cyst that was secreting HCG.

Well. I read that expecting to find out that she'd accidentally taken some abortifacent herb or another. But no ... medical malpractice it is. Not sure I believe it. I rather wonder if she had a type of cyst that was secreting HCG.

I wonder if she edited that post. I reread it today and got what you got out of it, but I remember getting uncomplicated ectopic pregnancy from it in the past. It's been discussed here before; brb checking FJ archives!

ETA link: viewtopic.php?f=161&t=12969&p=387045#p387045

I take back my suggestion that she edits posts; I really don't know her blog well enough to say that. BUT she clearly has a flair for the dramatic, and I don't fully trust her retelling of an event that happened twenty-five years prior to said retelling. Especially with her quiverfull agenda in mind.

I believe she edits posts when the shit hits the fan. If I recall correctly, she edited the post detailing Terry killing her dog.

I believe she edits posts when the shit hits the fan. If I recall correctly, she edited the post detailing Terry killing her dog.

Wait ... WHAT? :o

I went and checked out the Pepperoni Rice Lasagna recipe--it's actually not as :ew: as I originally expected. There's no noodles, just the stuff for lasagna (cheese, tomato sauce) with rice. Nothing I'd ever make, but not horrible. But I refuse to believe that her recipe is enough for a family of ten.

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2010/06/pepperoni-rice-lasagna.html

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 pkg sliced pepperoni

2 cups dry Long grain brown rice

1 TBS butter

12 oz mozzarella cheese (or a block and a half, shredded)

Cheese Mix:

24 oz cottage cheese

1 5 oz plastic container shredded Parmesan cheese (not the powder), or shred your own!

3 eggs, beaten

The Sauce:

1 jar Classico Tomato & Basil spaghetti sauce

1 20 oz can tomato sauce

1 lb ground turkey or beef (today I used leftover grilled hamburgers. Mmmmm...)

1 green or red pepper, diced

1 zuchinni, cut into 4ths long-ways, then sliced

2 carrots, peeled and chopped

sliced black olives (optional)

1 pkg sliced mushrooms

1 medium onion, chopped

3-5 garlic cloves, crushed

dried herbs: basil, oregano and parsley

Directions:

Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add dry brown rice and cook for several minutes, stirring constantly to brown lightly. Add 4 cups water, stir once then put lid on pan. When boiling, reduce heat to simmer and set timer for 20 minutes (this method reduces the cooking time for the rice!). The rice is done when the water is gone.

Sauce Prep:

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce in another larger saucepan. If using turkey, you can put in the raw meat and all the vegetables together. The vegetables will soften as the meat browns. However, if using the beef, you will want to drain it, so brown the meat first, drain, then add the vegetables. Add both sauces and the basil and oregano. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.

Cheese Mix Prep:

Place the cottage cheese into a food processor or blender to make smooth (this step is totally optional). Mix in the eggs and 2/3 of the Parmesan cheese.

Assembly:

My younger children LOVE this part. Five year old Destiny really enjoys putting on the pepperoni. Or maybe she just really enjoys eating the one or two that always seem to be leftover. Hmmm...

Cover the bottom of your dish with a few ladles of sauce.

Layer in this order:

rice

cheese mix

pepperoni,

sauce

mozzarella cheese

If using large pan (such as my roaster pan), do two layers. If using 9 x 13 or crock pot, do three. Finish with the remaining 1/3 shredded Parmesan and sprinkle with dried parsley. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes uncovered. Let stand 15 minutes after removing from the oven. If using crock pot, cook on high for about an hour or on low for several hours. Whenever I make this for our church pitch-in, I prep it the night before, set the crock pot crock in the fridge, then cook on high during church service (which is roughly 2- 2 1/2 hours long). It is always ready to eat by then. No matter how you cook it, ENJOY!

In her post that Koala quoted from, she mentions using the air conditioner in the kitchen while canning and that her family has a large garden. Does her family not grow and can tomatoes?

Unless it's a loss leader item and you have a high value coupon, I don't understand buying name brand spaghetti sauce if money is tight. There's only two of us, but I buy a large (6lbs 6 oz) can of crushed tomatoes at the wholesale club for about $4 and use that as the base for my spaghetti sauce. (Since we now own a house, and my husband is planting up a storm, I'm hoping I'll have enough tomatoes to not have to buy any tomato products this summer. :) )

Wait ... WHAT? :o

The one where Cheryl reveals that she's married to an effing monster. :evil:

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2012/03/getting-past-dog.html

Wow his response would infuriate me. He never once expressed remorse for killing her dog. She is totally minimizing what he did.

I understand not wanting a dog that goes after livestock on a farm, but why couldn't they have rehomed him to a more suitable family?

Well, never mind. Went to read the dog post and its gone.

I try to be frugal, but she's ridiculous.

Coincidentally I was just over at the Shoebox earlier reading about how Cheryl disrupted her oldest daughters arrangements to put her (Cheryl's) mother into a nursing home, because she didn't want her kids to do that to her when she gets old, cried and sooked and refused to take part in family activities for a week when Terry and "Pastor" told her that her mother couldn't move into their already overcrowded home until God changed Terry and Pastor's heart. Then bought a trailer for her mother to live in behind the house and moved her in FOR A WHOLE 24 HOURS before moving her back to the nursing home, posting something abstract about having to shelter her children from her "dark influences". But all in a very honouring way, of course, cause God tells us to honour our parents and god forbid her kids don't honour her in her dotage.

Cheryl is a piece of work.

Edit to add - I'm pretty sure this is the same grandmother who cared for Sabrina until Cheryl swept her up into her quiver, so it would have been even harder for Sabrina than the other kids to have her moved in amid much fanfare and self congratulation then banished a day later.

Well, never mind. Went to read the dog post and its gone.

I try to be frugal, but she's ridiculous.

It is there. I just read it.

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2012/03/getting-past-dog.html

Coincidentally I was just over at the Shoebox earlier reading about how Cheryl disrupted her oldest daughters arrangements to put her (Cheryl's) mother into a nursing home, because she didn't want her kids to do that to her when she gets old, cried and sooked and refused to take part in family activities for a week when Terry and "Pastor" told her that her mother couldn't move into their already overcrowded home until God changed Terry and Pastor's heart. Then bought a trailer for her mother to live in behind the house and moved her in FOR A WHOLE 24 HOURS before moving her back to the nursing home, posting something abstract about having to shelter her children from her "dark influences". But all in a very honouring way, of course, cause God tells us to honour our parents and god forbid her kids don't honour her in her dotage.

Cheryl is a piece of work.

Edit to add - I'm pretty sure this is the same grandmother who cared for Sabrina until Cheryl swept her up into her quiver, so it would have been even harder for Sabrina than the other kids to have her moved in amid much fanfare and self congratulation then banished a day later.

It is the same grandmother. Poor thing has COPD and continues to smoke. I wonder if it was the smoking?

Does anyone know where Sabrina's brother landed when grandma had to give up custody?

It is the same grandmother. Poor thing has COPD and continues to smoke. I wonder if it was the smoking?

Does anyone know where Sabrina's brother landed when grandma had to give up custody?

Please tell me that Cheryl didn't separate a brother and sister.

So, basically these people are planning their budget around using the food bank for food.

Isn't that where most people go when they have used other options, not because they know god wants them to plan on the food bank to feed their many children?

Small quibble here -- I think she said they volunteer at a food bank and get food in return.

I know it seems like the same thing, but it's kind of different. For one, there probably aren't income , residency, frequency or other eligibility requirements when done this way. More importantly - many food banks encourage community members - struggling or not- to volunteer and give food as a token of appreciation.It helps them to get the food sorted and out the door , which can be a huge amount of work. Using volunteers for sorting and distribution saves the food bank money, so their very limited budgets can be used for supplementing donated food, administrative tasks that require skill, occupancy, utilities etc. people tend not to think about it, but operating any sort of a charity - even something as basic and simple as a food bank, costs money. Often food banks target groups aren't able to help with the very physical tasks of sorting/ distributing food --

elderly, disabled, children, etc .

Sorry, off soapbox now :embarrassed:

Also, that pepperoni rice lasagna is NOT lasagna, but sounds really, really good!

And I see why this thread is so mNy pages so quickly :D dairy, essential oils, meat, and gluten all in one post! I think " Gluten is the new Peanut Butter" should be a bumper sticker, or a post count or something

That makes me think of when my favorite Chicago deep-dish pizza place got on board the Atkins diet bandwagon and offered "crustless pizza." It was the cheese, sauce, and toppings, but encased in a sausage shell. That is officially no longer a pizza. I'd call that a casserole.

I have to defend Lou Malanatis on this one. My husband is actually allergic to wheat, not a gluten intolerance thing, we are talking epi-pen anaphylaxis reaction to eating wheat. He thought this invention was pure genius.

I prefer Gino's over Lou's if I am going to splurge on Chicago style pizza. Which are all kind of a casserole, crust or not!

The pepperoni lasagna is something I would never make for a normal dinner, it is so high in fat/calories and has limited nutritional value. I am far from perfect, but that looks like the same meal poor people are being forced to feed their kids which is leading to obesity & diabetes.

My daughter is on some diet program she makes pizza crust from grated calliflower and eggs and some cheese. Works pretty well. Does not add a lot of calories.

What is it with fundy men and being a dick to animals?! It seems like half the families talked about here have a story about the husband killing a pet. Isn't a righteous man supposed to regard the life of his beasts?

Yes, strep can be very dangerous if left untreated. I only had it once as a kid, but I've gotten it 3 times in the last year. I can't have penicillin, so I have to use a very high powered antibiotic every time. Makes me a nervous wreck, but it's better than the alternative.

You have to be very careful with a UTI too. My grandmother died from complications resulting from a UTI.

I don't advocate ignoring medical science when it's needed, but I do try home-remedies my doctors have okay'd first. That's the difference between me and Cheryl. I'll go to doctors. I won't slap an oil on a severed arm and swear the oil will make it grow back, or cure cancer, or whatever.

The difference is knowing when help is needed, and being willing to seek it.

I'm allergic to penicillin and a lot of drugs, so I try to use them very sparingly to not build up a tolerance to pain meds, or help breed super-bugs.

Can you elaborate about the vanilla oil? I get "mystery" headaches that are migraine-like but not technically migraines. I suspect a combination of eyestrain and possibly sinus issues.

I take feverfew preventively most days, and have tried lavender oil and peppermint oil -- both smell nice but neither of the oils will remove a headache once I have it.

How do you take the vanilla oil and how much does it help you? Thanks!

For me, it's just a scent that helps me relax. When I get headaches, I get tense, and the tension makes them worse. So if I can physically relax and lose the tension, my headaches will go away faster. It's not like eucalyptus or peppermint that have an actual physical effect on most people, like it or not. It's a thing entirely in my head. It takes me to a happy play, and tension melts away because of my more relaxed mental state.

If you get tense during headaches, which will make them worse, but there's a scent that always makes you feel relaxed and light when you get a whiff, it couldn't hurt to give it a try. It might work for you, might not, but it's a case of it couldn't hurt to try.

I guess it's an off-label use of vanilla. :D In summer, cucumber works better since the smell of cucumber also makes me feel slightly cooler. A mental connection to chilled cukes from the fridge. :)

I'm a long-time healthcare professional.

If a person has Strep (i.e. an infection with group A Streptococcus) - this requires treatment with an antibiotic. This has to do with the fact that untreated group A Strep can cause rheumatic heart disease or glomerulonephritis (kidney damage). Gargling with peroxide is insufficient to treat Strep (someone - not Koala - suggested that earlier in this thread).

Also - not every sore throat "Strep". It is only Strep if the Streptococcus bacteria is present. This can be demonstrated by testing.

Talk to my doctor. Testing to confirm strep. Not just sore throat, must be strep. That would be stupid. I also didn't say to just take that as a cure. My doctor suggested trying that, and it it didn't start getting better, use the script. I'm allergic to most antibiotics, and the ones I'm not wreak havoc on my body pretty bad. It sucks.

Archived