IGNORED

Move over Kelly, Cheryl REALLY knows how to save $$$$

Koala

I had a horrendous recovery from wisdom tooth surgery last year, and my oral surgeon gave me something with cloves in it too (it really helped). Of course he paired that with a antibiotics and some pretty heavy pain killers

I didn't have any pain from my dry socket (which I guess is really weird), so it was just the clove root for me. Also probably instructions to come back if it started hurting/getting infected for more medication. Luckily after that snafu, I healed up well.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you, I think, for reintroducing me to Cheryl. I have not read her blog in two or three years. I have some catching up to do.

I think her oldest daughter posted her once, in defense of her mother, didn't she? Her first daughter has a different father and had a contentious relationship with Cheryl's husband, her stepfather. But they are a big happy family now!

It was likely on the Yuku board, which gives my computer fits and sneezes.

Here is Cheryl's response:

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-amanda-knows.html

I didn't have any pain from my dry socket (which I guess is really weird), so it was just the clove root for me. Also probably instructions to come back if it started hurting/getting infected for more medication. Luckily after that snafu, I healed up well.

Are you sure you're human?! Ha, kidding (mostly). I had dry socket and it holy hell, did it hurt. Agony.

NOTE: This is a tangent.

I guess clove is actually really good for toothaches. When I got my wisdom teeth removed at a normal, oral surgeon, I ended up with dry socket on both sides of my bottom jaw. When I went to the oral surgeon again, they rinsed the holes out and filled them with clove root. True story-- real, still stringy, clean-but-otherwise-straight-from-the-plant clove root. It's a natural topical pain killer and probably has some natural antimicrobial properties (though using in place of real antibiotics where needed is dumb and unnecessary).

Anyway, the lady is still a quack, but how cool is it that clove root is still an accepted and effective treatment for a medical condition?

A stopped clock is right twice a day. It's an analgesic (I get sick to my stomach on clove oil), but it isn't a replace-all like she says.

Vanilla oil helps with my headaches. Peppermint oil helps when I'm congested. Cranberry juice takes care of UTIs.

But this is still a far cry from the claims that these oils and other natural remedies can replace all western medicine. There's a time and place for it all, and denying either is, in my opinion, foolish, at best, deadly, at worst. Foolish, because it's better to avoid chemicals when possible, like vanilla oil for me instead of pills, and deadly because these things won't take care of cancer.

A stopped clock is right twice a day. It's an analgesic (I get sick to my stomach on clove oil), but it isn't a replace-all like she says.

Vanilla oil helps with my headaches. Peppermint oil helps when I'm congested. Cranberry juice takes care of UTIs.

But this is still a far cry from the claims that these oils and other natural remedies can replace all western medicine. There's a time and place for it all, and denying either is, in my opinion, foolish, at best, deadly, at worst. Foolish, because it's better to avoid chemicals when possible, like vanilla oil for me instead of pills, and deadly because these things won't take care of cancer.

Oh for sure! I totally agree. That's why I specified it was a tangent-- I was trying to clarify that I think she's irresponsible and all that jazz. The mention of cloves just reminded me of that story is all. :)

"Oils and herbs have places they can be useful"

Oh yes, my reply was too vague. Honey for a sore throat from allergies= good idea. Honey to cure strep= bad idea. Aromatherapy is you are feeling sad= good idea. Aromatherapy by itself if you are clinically depressed= bad idea

Young Living and Doterra make false claims about oils curing and preventing diseases.

What I get strep, gargling with peroxide helps! It's nasty, but works. My doc will write me a script for an antibiotic, with the instructions to start if peroxide doesn't start helping in a couple days. It usually helps. :) But I'm not against taking the prescription if it comes to that.

My concern is that YL and DT aren't saying, "Try this stuff first." They're saying, "Our stuff WILL cure you, no matter what, so shun all medicine."

Yeah, that recipe is in no way falls under the definition of 'lasagna.'

ETA: This is just so damn sad: treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2014/07/not-all-smart-girls-go-to-college.html I would love to hear Mrs. Crump's point of view on all this.

That's heartbreaking. It's clearly not Haley's decision. It's a Hobson's choice, where there's the illusion of choice, but there isn't. The parents had decided she wasn't going to college. That's the first part. So when they were supposedly encouraging her to consider her options, she knew what they would approve of, and what would disappoint them. She didn't have a choice about school. Her choice was whether or not to greatly disappoint her parents and loose their support.

I'm glad for the comments calling her out for this, and it's clear Haley thinks she had the full choice, when really her parents did, and she just coincidentally decided, all on her very, very own, that her goal in life is to shun the schooling that excited her, to be a stay-at-home mother homeschooling a bunch of kids.

This reminds me of my aunt waxing eloquently on and on and on once about the "wonderful" and "delicious" gluten free pumpkin pie her daughter-in-law made (this is the same gluten free daughter-in-law who recently needed her mother-in-law to pick up three loaves of whole wheat bread for their gluten free family's lunch sandwiches). "She just took pumpkin filling," aunt gushed, "and put it in the pie pan and warmed it up."

That, auntie dear, is just a dish of pumpkin. It is not a pie.

There's solid-pack pumpkin, and there's pie filling that has some seasonings. I won't use that crap, but it is intended to be baked as it is.

There's solid-pack pumpkin, and there's pie filling that has some seasonings. I won't use that crap, but it is intended to be baked as it is.

Either way, sticking it in a pie pan with no crust and warming it (not baking it, mind you, just warming it) does not make a pie. It makes a bowl of pumpkin. You can make gluten free pie crust. Google turns up over a million hits for it.

This woman and her whole gluten free thing has made us all insane because she does not seem to even know what gluten is. She has also convinced her 12 year old daughter that being in the same room as gluten will cause her to have anaphylaxis and die, so the poor kid is terrified of being near a cookie or a piece of white bread. Except the same 12 year old eats sandwiches on whole wheat bread because her crazy mother doesn't know what gluten is and so she doesn't either.

I went and checked out the Pepperoni Rice Lasagna recipe--it's actually not as :ew: as I originally expected. There's no noodles, just the stuff for lasagna (cheese, tomato sauce) with rice. Nothing I'd ever make, but not horrible. But I refuse to believe that her recipe is enough for a family of ten.

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2010/06/pepperoni-rice-lasagna.html

She would of been better off using noodles for this. Generally speaking pasta has about 8-10 grams of protein per cup while rice has about 3-4. And its not a complete protein either.

Either way, sticking it in a pie pan with no crust and warming it (not baking it, mind you, just warming it) does not make a pie. It makes a bowl of pumpkin. You can make gluten free pie crust. Google turns up over a million hits for it.

This woman and her whole gluten free thing has made us all insane because she does not seem to even know what gluten is. She has also convinced her 12 year old daughter that being in the same room as gluten will cause her to have anaphylaxis and die, so the poor kid is terrified of being near a cookie or a piece of white bread. Except the same 12 year old eats sandwiches on whole wheat bread because her crazy mother doesn't know what gluten is and so she doesn't either.

That's pretty funny consideringthe fact that when baking with whole wheat you usually add extra gluten like vital wheat gluten to the dough so its not too dense.

My son inkindergarten has been talking a lot about gluten lately. It seems his friend is allergic to gluten except for the gluten in twinkies apparently because at his own birthday party his mom made gluten free cupcakes and decorated them with halved twinkies to look like minions. They were cute and all, but some of us parents are bending over backwards to accommodate all the allergies in the classroom so all the kids feel included. We have a child with life threatening contact allergy to nuts that quite frankly is terrifying when you understand how serious it is,

and a sometimes allergy to gluten, dairy, and whatever not.

First this is bullshit. Fundies know damn well they're cheap and grifters. They take from others then tell people look it's from God. No, your greedy and selfish. I bet if someone offered you an air conditioner you would take it saying it's from the lord. I thought the lord would support this bullshit. Second that's medical neglect. If your kid had cancer or an infection you need to see a doctor with a real medical degree.

I thought they had perfect teeth because they don't drink milk. So how come she has a toothache?

BINGO! (you beat me to it) :)

What I get strep, gargling with peroxide helps! It's nasty, but works. My doc will write me a script for an antibiotic, with the instructions to start if peroxide doesn't start helping in a couple days. It usually helps. :) But I'm not against taking the prescription if it comes to that.

My concern is that YL and DT aren't saying, "Try this stuff first." They're saying, "Our stuff WILL cure you, no matter what, so shun all medicine."

Knock on wood but it's been a few years since I've had strep and my kids don't get it. I never heard this before good to know thanks. The nurse practitioner suggests rinsing out your eyes with plain old saline for pink eye a few times a day- she sais to start at the first hint of it- if it doesn't help then come in.....or just come in if you don't want to bother.

(I had a coworker who was around 26 and died from untreated strep- I don't know f it was some odd strain or not- I think you use common sense and know when to get help, but who knows who reads this......so get help if you need it!)

Yes, strep can be very dangerous if left untreated. I only had it once as a kid, but I've gotten it 3 times in the last year. I can't have penicillin, so I have to use a very high powered antibiotic every time. Makes me a nervous wreck, but it's better than the alternative.

You have to be very careful with a UTI too. My grandmother died from complications resulting from a UTI.

Oils and herbs have places they can be useful. Some natural things do have antibacterial properties, like honey. My concern is they're making claims that oils can cure literally everything from ebola to cancer.

Exactly! I use essential oils in my homemade bath soaps and other bath and beauty products. And I often rub lavender oil throughout my hair and face to help me sleep at night (I have bad insomnia). But when fundies extol the virtues of using oils and herbs to cure everything from cancer to diabetes I get stabby.

Can you elaborate about the vanilla oil? I get "mystery" headaches that are migraine-like but not technically migraines. I suspect a combination of eyestrain and possibly sinus issues.

I take feverfew preventively most days, and have tried lavender oil and peppermint oil -- both smell nice but neither of the oils will remove a headache once I have it.

How do you take the vanilla oil and how much does it help you? Thanks!

What bothers me, is that she talks about realizing she will end up with a large family, and planning to cut out all these unnecessary things, like trips to the dr and meat. I don't have a problem with people having many kids. I do have a problem with people who know they can't afford more than 3-4 having a whole group of them. Just seems so irresponsible to me.

I have one child, and plan on another one, or 2 at the most. We could probably afford more, but I like the lifestyle my family has. I don't want to live in poverty because we had too many kids because Jesus.

I'm sorry and I know many people will disagree but small children need milk. Yes a well planned diet can cut it out but let's be real - most parents aren't that knowledgable and when the parents are cutting corners on diet the child probably isn't getting adequate nutrients or protein without it. Small children are meant to nurse for several years and since most american children do not, they need a calorie dense foods.

Yes, strep can be very dangerous if left untreated. I only had it once as a kid, but I've gotten it 3 times in the last year. I can't have penicillin, so I have to use a very high powered antibiotic every time. Makes me a nervous wreck, but it's better than the alternative.

You have to be very careful with a UTI too. My grandmother died from complications resulting from a UTI.

I'm a long-time healthcare professional.

If a person has Strep (i.e. an infection with group A Streptococcus) - this requires treatment with an antibiotic. This has to do with the fact that untreated group A Strep can cause rheumatic heart disease or glomerulonephritis (kidney damage). Gargling with peroxide is insufficient to treat Strep (someone - not Koala - suggested that earlier in this thread).

Also - not every sore throat "Strep". It is only Strep if the Streptococcus bacteria is present. This can be demonstrated by testing.

I'm sorry and I know many people will disagree but small children need milk. Yes a well planned diet can cut it out but let's be real - most parents aren't that knowledgable and when the parents are cutting corners on diet the child probably isn't getting adequate nutrients or protein without it. Small children are meant to nurse for several years and since most american children do not, they need a calorie dense foods.

I have mixed feelings about this but maybe just because my kids really don't drink milk (so I'm already biased/defensive/whatever). They all nursed until they were three (and one was closer to 3 1/2), and they just had no real interest in cow milk. My youngest does occasionally go on a chocolate milk spree and all of them eat cheese and yogurt somewhat regularly, but none of them really drink milk on a regular or even semi-regular basis. I have a half gallon on hand usually but only because I use it in many recipes. I barely drank milk or ate other dairy products as a child and certainly don't now because I have pretty severe lactose intolerance.

My breastfed child will not drink cows milk either but she does drink goats. She also has access to cheese , yogurt, fresh fruit and veggies, and dinners that include adequate protein. We are on a budget but nothing so extreme that she can't get adequate nutrients. I'm picturing this family like many stops formula at 12 months then what? Cheap high carb meals? Hopefully they provide adequate snacks for very small children.

It appears that Cheryl has some sort of gluten intolerance, so it doesn't appear like they get carb heavy meals. So no meat, few carbs...I really don't know what these kids eat.

Archived