IGNORED

Move over Kelly, Cheryl REALLY knows how to save $$$$

Koala

If you're looking for tips on caring for your quiverfull of blessings, Cheryl has you covered:

Tip #1 Skip the milk...it's good for your teeth

We don't drink milk.

We haven't bought milk in nearly two decades! We eliminated it from our diets years ago after reading about the correlation between milk and ear infections, from which Emily suffered greatly (the infections mysteriously cleared up, btw). Milk is mucus-forming and can cause congestion. We have at times had milk goats and did enjoy milk then, but the fact is the stuff you buy in cartons in the grocery has little in common with fresh, raw milk. And in case you are wondering about the state of my children's bones, several years ago a dentist commented on the strength of all of their teeth, asking what we attributed that to. I hesitated, knowing she wouldn't appreciate my answer, but she was amazed when I told her we don't drink milk and avoid fluoride in all forms. Our answer to the question "Got milk?" Nope.

Tip #2 Self Diagnose and Medicate (don't have a medical degree? No problem! Essential oils are *just* like antibiotics)

Home remedies.

Soon after we handed over our family planning to the Lord and came to the realization that we could end up with a large family, I realized that I needed to find a way to keep the children as healthy as possible and be able to treat their ailments myself to avoid unnecessary medical expenses. I began studying herbs, nutritional healing, and essential oils.

By the way, if I were to be going to a remote island and could take only one "cure" I would choose Clove Essential Oil. It works on a toothache (from which I've had some recent experience), is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. To boost the immune system, I add a drop to a bit of coconut oil and apply it over the thyroid (the hollow in your neck) and a bit on the lymph glands in the neck (at the jawline) and behind the ears.

Tip #3 Air conditioning is for the weak!

Our little farmhouse is not equipped with central air (or even duct work! haha). We do have a window unit for the upstairs (which gets unbearably hot in the summer) and another unit for the kitchen for those days when it's simply too hot to cook or when we are canning, which we use sparingly. For the most part, we just keep the windows open, run fans, and enjoy the fresh air.

Tip #4 Make those meals stretch...

We view meat more as a flavorful additive rather than a main dish and so one whole chicken = two whole meals for our family! Typical main dishes for us are Chicken 'n Rice Soup and Pepperoni Rice Lasagna. We also add rice to ground turkey (purchased from Aldi) to stretch taco meat (we have taco salad--a family favorite--at least once a week). An occasional treat in the summer is hamburgers on the grill, in which I will make the meat go further by adding finely chopped fresh mushrooms (which also helps add moisture), finely diced onion, and a bit of ground oatmeal.

Depend on people who feel sorry for you and your children God:

I cannot tell you all the ways the Lord has met our needs through the years. From gift cards and money arriving in the mail, sent by anonymous donors in just the exact moment of need, to food provided through working at a food bank as well as from other people's surplus, Once our washer had suddenly quit and before I even had a second to worry about it (or even make the issue known to anyone else), I received a phone call that very day from my cousin, asking if we could use a washing machine, as he and his wife had an extra one and we had come to mind. Through the years we've been blessed with appliances, furniture, clothing, food, and even two different vehicles! I don't know about you, but as the Lord meets each and every need, I am drawn deeper into a love relationship with the One Who cares for us. I am thankful for those difficulties that reveal the thoughtfulness and tender care of my heavenly Father and I wouldn't trade those moments for all the money in the world!

As a side note here, there is an additional category that can be added to the list, that is definitely worth mentioning, because it's a significant contribution to our being able to save money. Our children each look for ways to earn money from the time they are early teens. Isaac gets paid to do yard work and other manual labor, Corrie has been cleaning houses for a couple of years, and each of the older girls teach music and sing together, as well as perform odd jobs to earn spending money. We haven't had to buy the clothes for the older ones or spend money for their extra expenses in several years.

For more helpful hints you can read Cheryl's post here:

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2015/03/12-ways-12-people-live-on-1-income.html#comment-form

You may also check out Cheryl's post detailing how to feed your mini army for Christ on $40:

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2011/02/game-of-royal-way.html

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pepperoni Rice Lasagna? Wha?

The whole idea that you can rub oil into your skin around your thyroid for health reasons is so astonishingly ignorant I can't even. There is a reason why people from 100 years ago had shorter life spans-- it's because they didn't have access to antibiotics. I'm sure they had full faith in their own nostrums however. I just hope that the family member who becomes dangerously ill from self-medicating is her and not one of her kids.

Fundies are so cheap, and its always the kids that lose out. I think if someone decided to sell their kids organs, the fundies would think it was a great idea because it is a way to get money without having to sacrifice anything, but the kids do.

Cheryl and Terri have taken little trips (just the two of them) fairly recently. If there's money for that, there should be money for adequate food and medical expenses.

If everyone relied on handouts from other people, nobody would have anything Those of us who work have to work to buy stuff to support people like her. I doubt she's ever thought about who buys those strangely "spare" washing machines in the first place. Stores don't just give them away for free.

Anytime someone starts saying essential oils cure an illness their credibility drops to zero. And the fact that you would actively plan for essential oils and herbs to be your healthcare...

Anytime someone starts saying essential oils cure an illness their credibility drops to zero. And the fact that you would actively plan for essential oils and herbs to be your healthcare...

Oils and herbs have places they can be useful. Some natural things do have antibacterial properties, like honey. My concern is they're making claims that oils can cure literally everything from ebola to cancer.

NOTE: This is a tangent.

I guess clove is actually really good for toothaches. When I got my wisdom teeth removed at a normal, oral surgeon, I ended up with dry socket on both sides of my bottom jaw. When I went to the oral surgeon again, they rinsed the holes out and filled them with clove root. True story-- real, still stringy, clean-but-otherwise-straight-from-the-plant clove root. It's a natural topical pain killer and probably has some natural antimicrobial properties (though using in place of real antibiotics where needed is dumb and unnecessary).

Anyway, the lady is still a quack, but how cool is it that clove root is still an accepted and effective treatment for a medical condition?

I thought they had perfect teeth because they don't drink milk. So how come she has a toothache?

Also: Pepperoni Rice Lasagna? :puke-right:

I find the "we view meat as a condiment" shtick really eye-roll worthy and sort of pretentious. But maybe that's just me.

I don't think that the advice about using meat as a flavoring is that bad. Meat is a pretty easy place to cut back on to save money. However, it would be better advice if they did the following:

1. Make sure that they are getting protein and other nutrients from other inexpensive sources. She doesn't mention shifting the focus to beans or nuts, just taking meat dishes and stretching with starch.

2. Get inspired by recipes from international cuisines that traditionally treat meat as a flavoring. Chinese Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry = delicious. Pepperoni rice lasagna = WTF?

I went and checked out the Pepperoni Rice Lasagna recipe--it's actually not as :ew: as I originally expected. There's no noodles, just the stuff for lasagna (cheese, tomato sauce) with rice. Nothing I'd ever make, but not horrible. But I refuse to believe that her recipe is enough for a family of ten.

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2010/06/pepperoni-rice-lasagna.html

That makes me think of when my favorite Chicago deep-dish pizza place got on board the Atkins diet bandwagon and offered "crustless pizza." It was the cheese, sauce, and toppings, but encased in a sausage shell. That is officially no longer a pizza. I'd call that a casserole.

"Oils and herbs have places they can be useful"

Oh yes, my reply was too vague. Honey for a sore throat from allergies= good idea. Honey to cure strep= bad idea. Aromatherapy is you are feeling sad= good idea. Aromatherapy by itself if you are clinically depressed= bad idea

Young Living and Doterra make false claims about oils curing and preventing diseases.

That makes me think of when my favorite Chicago deep-dish pizza place got on board the Atkins diet bandwagon and offered "crustless pizza." It was the cheese, sauce, and toppings, but encased in a sausage shell. That is officially no longer a pizza. I'd call that a casserole.

Yeah, that recipe is in no way falls under the definition of 'lasagna.'

ETA: This is just so damn sad: treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2014/07/not-all-smart-girls-go-to-college.html I would love to hear Mrs. Crump's point of view on all this.

I had Graves numbers have been great for a year now, I remember fondly (sarcasm) when my thyroid was infected then burst (not sure why it happens just one of those things). You don’t feel any pain or anything different in the throat but it dumps a whole lot of hormones all at once and your body doesn’t know what to do. Anxious, nervousness, panicky, high blood pressure, heart palpations to name a few, now I'm a nervous person to begin with so I was having a blast. The only thing to do was take a higher dose of medication and wait. If I went down this essential oil road I would of landed in the hospital for sure. Medication is the way to go at least for me. Glad I didn’t find Cheryl's site back then. :angry-banghead:

This reminds me of my aunt waxing eloquently on and on and on once about the "wonderful" and "delicious" gluten free pumpkin pie her daughter-in-law made (this is the same gluten free daughter-in-law who recently needed her mother-in-law to pick up three loaves of whole wheat bread for their gluten free family's lunch sandwiches). "She just took pumpkin filling," aunt gushed, "and put it in the pie pan and warmed it up."

That, auntie dear, is just a dish of pumpkin. It is not a pie.

I don't think that the advice about using meat as a flavoring is that bad. Meat is a pretty easy place to cut back on to save money. However, it would be better advice if they did the following:

1. Make sure that they are getting protein and other nutrients from other inexpensive sources. She doesn't mention shifting the focus to beans or nuts, just taking meat dishes and stretching with starch.

2. Get inspired by recipes from international cuisines that traditionally treat meat as a flavoring. Chinese Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry = delicious. Pepperoni rice lasagna = WTF?

This. When I want to stretch taco meat I use black beans, not oats. There is a way to stretch meat without adding starch to it (as much as I love carbs). You can use beans or veggies and make it more frugal and healthier.

This is it.

It finally happened.

This is the most self-congratulatory holier-than-thou pile of fundie shit that I have ever read. :pink-shock:

So, basically these people are planning their budget around using the food bank for food.

Isn't that where most people go when they have used other options, not because they know god wants them to plan on the food bank to feed their many children?

I don't think the idea is bad at all if you're trying to save money. But the statement "I use meat as flavoring" just comes across so smug and condescending.

Thank you, I think, for reintroducing me to Cheryl. I have not read her blog in two or three years. I have some catching up to do.

I think her oldest daughter posted her once, in defense of her mother, didn't she? Her first daughter has a different father and had a contentious relationship with Cheryl's husband, her stepfather. But they are a big happy family now!

NOTE: This is a tangent.

I guess clove is actually really good for toothaches. When I got my wisdom teeth removed at a normal, oral surgeon, I ended up with dry socket on both sides of my bottom jaw. When I went to the oral surgeon again, they rinsed the holes out and filled them with clove root. True story-- real, still stringy, clean-but-otherwise-straight-from-the-plant clove root. It's a natural topical pain killer and probably has some natural antimicrobial properties (though using in place of real antibiotics where needed is dumb and unnecessary).

Anyway, the lady is still a quack, but how cool is it that clove root is still an accepted and effective treatment for a medical condition?

Yup, my dentist recommends clove oil and salt water rinses on a pretty regular basis.

But ... he's an actual dentist. Went to dental school. I wouldn't for a second start slapping EOs on my body just because a blogger told me to. And my kids' ped recommended zinc and C this winter when they had the flu (actual flu -- blah). I do actually think that many EOs and natural products can be helpful. But again -- there's a world of difference between seeing a doctor for an illness and choosing natural treatments and just randomly rolling your kids in spices and hoping for the best.

I had a horrendous recovery from wisdom tooth surgery last year, and my oral surgeon gave me something with cloves in it too (it really helped). Of course he paired that with a antibiotics and some pretty heavy pain killers

Archived