IGNORED

Is JD a real cop or what?

BrownieMomma

Do the Duggars not think it's strange that people have to basically research if the any of them have actually met the requirements to do any particular job because of the stretching of truth they do? Jana is a concert pianist, JD a cop and Jill a midwife. When people automatically doubt your kids have the qualifications for anything there is something wrong. If anyone else said their son was a cop we wouldn't doubt it. Do the Duggars think we are stupid enough to believe that their kids can basically do anything without the necessary training or educations? I expect Jinger will soon be a nurse because she has put a bandaid on a skinned knee.

Since they most likely very rarely interact in a meaningful way with people who are college educated (at a normal university not a bible college), they probably don't even realize how ignorant it makes them look.

Sometimes things seem deceptively simple when you don't understand a topic well enough to recognize its complexities.

That's one reason why they tend to think they know more about evolution than scientists who have spent a career studying the topic and conducting research, for example.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let's say for whatever reason, JD has to leave Tontitown and make his way in the cold bad world. What is he qualified to do?

Police- off the table because he has to actually be officially trained vs voted in

Pilot- he's not at level I think where he can start taking people for $

construction- that's a pretty broad category. What does he know how to do other than knock things down? Does he hang drywall? carpentry? Has he been hired on any crews that we know of?

Towing- he's been doing all the above, so it doesn't seem like the towing company is keeping him busy

How does he make ends meet? I guess he doesn't really have a nut to cover, but his parents keep talking him up as a great prospect as a provider. He owns a house. And I'm assuming it will have furniture. But I'm guessing his wife and their eventual kids will want to do stuff like eat. Josh I think is covered. JD is no Josh.

I don't see JD leaving Tontitown (sp?). For one, he owns a house there (presumably will be his marital home when/if that happens) and he seems to be doing well for the family businesses (towing, handyman work, etc). He could make a living as a property manager/handyman.

As for the pilot thing? If I understand right, you need to have X number of hours in the air to advance. He's best off getting those hours transporting members of his mega family around. You gotta get them somewhere.

I see that the man who accidentally shot a suspect to death the other day was a reserve (volunteer) deputy. He was allowed to participate in this important sting operation :/

photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/04/tulsa-sheriffs-office-says-volunteer-deputy-is-victim-of-circumstance-after-shooting-unarmed-man-video/

The other day they were airing the episode where Josie had her first seizure while JB and J'chelle were off in El Salvador. Jana and Jill ended up calling 911 in the middle of the night, and JD got the page from the dispatcher. JD was later shown with the EMT taking Josie into the hospital.

Why didn't one of the girls go get John David while the other dialed 911? Does he not sleep in the boys room? I know he owns property but I thought it was established he rents that out.

Every time I see this thread title I think of Barney Fife on Andy Griffith - who had one only bullet. In his pocket. Because they didn't trust him with the gun.

The other day they were airing the episode where Josie had her first seizure while JB and J'chelle were off in El Salvador. Jana and Jill ended up calling 911 in the middle of the night, and JD got the page from the dispatcher. JD was later shown with the EMT taking Josie into the hospital.

Why didn't one of the girls go get John David while the other dialed 911? Does he not sleep in the boys room? I know he owns property but I thought it was established he rents that out.

I've questioned where JD sleeps too because I think it weird that adults have to share a room with children. The consensus was that though he rents out his property maybe he lives in the guest warehouse where Ben was. For parents that like to teach their kids life skills, independence doesn't appear to make the cut.

Hey did you guys see in the news where a OK reserve cop just got charged with manslaughter because though he intended to pull out his taser, he actually grabbed his gun. Oopsy doodles.

This cop is 73yo, and I was thinking, oh must be retired, but according to CNN, got this unpaid position bc he was a long standing financial supporter.

Be careful, JD.

Nic, this is belated, but I was just coming here to post about the Walter Scott case!! PROPERLY trained police officers have enough of a bad reputation for brutality, and somehow it is acceptable to deputize a senior citizen with NO education, NO academy training, etc, who mistakes a taser for a gun and kills someone because he wants to play cowboy?

I don't really care how many times JD poses with his assault rifles, I would not want some ultra-conservative, fundamentalist, under-trained and uneducated sanctimonious fundie dealing with any sort of sensitive situation. Can you imagine his response to a rape victim? Domestic violence? Hazing? And gawd forbid something volatile happen, where he needs to make an actual arrest .... If the REAL police can't seem to make an arrest without arbitrarily shooting an unarmed black man or beating a schizophrenic to death a third of the time, what chance does a suspect catching the eye of Deputy Dawg out in Podunk, USA have?

• 3 weeks later...

In the recent show with JB riding along he wore an official uniform and seemed to be relatively familiar with operating a police car and basic procedures needed. Even for the basics of pulling people over for traffic offenses he would've had to take classes or some sort of training because your basic police stop for traffic offense is the doorway in to other possible offenses (ie. trafficking drugs across ARK). All of that requires proper training on how to properly handle so it won't be thrown out at court. He has to know certain law and procedures no matter what so at some point he had to attend classes for that and pass them. You just don't get to put on a uniform and create your own laws.

I feel like there is a lot unsaid when it comes to JD. I personally don't believe that he still sleeps in that house. Yes I've read that he owns a home that he rents out but a man at 25 sleeping in a room full of kids and teens isn't appealing at all at that age. He may hang out there but I am willing to believe he either sleeps in the warehouse wear Ben stayed or has the bus parked outside the garage doors all to himself. We all know he would've had to have had some sort of training to wear the uniform but it seems that they don't want to inform the public of that info.

In the recent show with JB riding along he wore an official uniform and seemed to be relatively familiar with operating a police car and basic procedures needed. Even for the basics of pulling people over for traffic offenses he would've had to take classes or some sort of training because your basic police stop for traffic offense is the doorway in to other possible offenses (ie. trafficking drugs across ARK). All of that requires proper training on how to properly handle so it won't be thrown out at court. He has to know certain law and procedures no matter what so at some point he had to attend classes for that and pass them. You just don't get to put on a uniform and create your own laws

Actually as an elected official, he kinda does only have to put on the uniform (once he buys it). According to the constable association in Arkansas, he can take 120 hours of training @ his expense. This is optional--his option.

My guess is he probably did ride alongs until he got the hang of it. Some might say that on the job is the best way to learn. Others might wonder about the consistency or quality of his training.

Around page 2 or 3 of this thread there is more specific info including links to the articles, govt sites etc..

Actually as an elected official, he kinda does only have to put on the uniform (once he buys it). According to the constable association in Arkansas, he can take 120 hours of training @ his expense. This is optional--his option.

My guess is he probably did ride alongs until he got the hang of it. Some might say that on the job is the best way to learn. Others might wonder about the consistency or quality of his training.

Around page 2 or 3 of this thread there is more specific info including links to the articles, govt sites etc..

It is ashame to read that in this day and time. It can only take one traffic stop for the bad thing to happen and it will be so quickly done. I live in a good area but my community gets government grants because of the drug trafficking along a major interstate and things most definitely happen. I really hate to read that because even though the possibility isn't a high probabllity it is still a probability none the less.

• 2 weeks later...

here is some disturbing news

In Arkansas and Indiana, you can become a police officer without any formal training.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... t_any.html

n the afternoon of Sept. 8, 2012, a white police officer in the town of Alexander, Arkansas, shot and killed a 30-year-old black man named Carleton Wallace. The officer, Nancy Cummings, told investigators she had detained Wallace after noticing a pistol tucked in his waistband, which he threw into a wooded area upon seeing her. According to Cummings’ account, it was while she was patting Wallace down that her service weapon accidentally discharged and struck him in the back. Wallace was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Cummings, who was placed on administrative leave from the department and charged with manslaughter in connection with the incident, had joined the Alexander police force about eight months earlier. But as Alexander’s then-police chief admitted in an interview the week after Wallace’s death, Cummings had not yet received any training or certification from the state. She was not scheduled to attend the police academy until the following year.

How could the Alexander Police Department employ an officer who had not yet gone through any of the state-mandated training? Because according to Arkansas state law, it’s perfectly legal to do so. Specifically, said Brian Marshall, the deputy director of the Office of Law Enforcement Standards, Arkansas law states that a person can work as a police officer for up to nine months—with the possibility of a three-month extension in extraordinary circumstances—before she is required to complete the state’s three-month training course. And as long as the new recruit passes a 50-round firearms qualification test—that means hitting a target 80 percent of the time from 25 yards away—the department can legally arm her with a gun.

as long as JD provides for himself and is not going to have a spinoff show or smth like that Im ok with whatever hes doing. The most boring and embarassing thing would be if he became anything like Josh, married a pre approved fundie girl and started to show us insights in his family life. No thank you very much. At least JD doesnt live of the TLC money.....

as long as JD provides for himself and is not going to have a spinoff show or smth like that Im ok with whatever hes doing. The most boring and embarassing thing would be if he became anything like Josh, married a pre approved fundie girl and started to show us insights in his family life. No thank you very much. At least JD doesnt live of the TLC money.....

The more I read about JD the more I like him. I think he is very self-sufficient. I think he will end up marrying a fundie girl (hopefully fundie-lite) but I think he is the type who will pitch in around the house or with the kids. I think he has some good qualities as a husband and father. I also believe he is not living in the TTH, he has his own place or at least private room in the TTH. He works a lot and needs his privacy for sleep and just to be a grown man. When JB went on the drive a long with JD it looked to be dusk, so JD may be working some nights.. Working nights or even a mid shift and sharing a room w/ 7 siblings is not a good thing. So needless to say he has his own space.. somewhere.

I wonder if he's on the compound - ala - in the shed or whatever the building was that Ben lived in during courtship/engagement. I believe Josh/Anna and the M's stayed in a room there during visits as well (until Dillard Inn opened and now Jill seems to be the guest house for certain family members).

My hometown is super tiny - about 800 people in the town proper, and 3,000 in the entire county. They are approx. 11 people per square mile. When I'm visiting family, I love to read the police/fire report in the weekly paper. The entire paper is 8 pages, and the police/fire report takes up a full page. They list every traffic stop, every fire call, practically every time a sheriff's deputy sneezes. In years of reading that report, I can't recall anything more complicated than shoplifting or minor marijuana charges. In the rare event that anything more serious happens, they call in the state highway patrol (who are actually "state police" but the legislature was squeamish about that title) and state bureau of investigation.

My hometown is super tiny - about 800 people in the town proper, and 3,000 in the entire county. They are approx. 11 people per square mile. When I'm visiting family, I love to read the police/fire report in the weekly paper. The entire paper is 8 pages, and the police/fire report takes up a full page. They list every traffic stop, every fire call, practically every time a sheriff's deputy sneezes. In years of reading that report, I can't recall anything more complicated than shoplifting or minor marijuana charges. In the rare event that anything more serious happens, they call in the state highway patrol (who are actually "state police" but the legislature was squeamish about that title) and state bureau of investigation.

If I was running drugs I'd totally look for ways to go through that county.

If I was running drugs I'd totally look for ways to go through that county.

One of the causes/consequences of very rural life - it isn't convenient to anywhere. There isn't much benefit to running drugs through a community that is 2+ hours from the nearest interstate in any direction. Head east, and you hit the ocean in an hour, but there is only one road in/out of the beach community. Head west or south, and you end up on the same road within 30 minutes, and are still at least an hour from the next town. Head north, and you have an hour plus drive through swamp land and another hour before you reach the nearest city.

One of the causes/consequences of very rural life - it isn't convenient to anywhere. There isn't much benefit to running drugs through a community that is 2+ hours from the nearest interstate in any direction. Head east, and you hit the ocean in an hour, but there is only one road in/out of the beach community. Head west or south, and you end up on the same road within 30 minutes, and are still at least an hour from the next town. Head north, and you have an hour plus drive through swamp land and another hour before you reach the nearest city.

Girl did you not watch Breaking Bad? Plane.

Archived