IGNORED

Is JD a real cop or what?

BrownieMomma

I know this is hard for big city folks to understand but it truly isn't that unusual in small towns. As a part time officer JD wouldn't have had to go through a full academy. If I remember right my friend who does it only had to do 30 hours. He did it over a three day weekend. It wasn't a big deal. He can't work over so many hours but other than that he can do anything a full time with the whole academy can do.

Which is FRIGHTENING. Your friend shouldn't be allowed to enforce the laws that he wasn't trained to know. NO, you can NOT learn all the laws a cop deals with in 30 hours. Get a copy of your state's penal codes book, and see how long it takes you just to read it, without even bothering trying to commit any to memory. When I was a little kid, we lived in a small town that used "cops" like this, and guess what. The laws weren't applied right, and it got very dangerous, and we left. Spending 30 hours on training is nothing but dress-up.

Someone with so little training shouldn't be allowed to do anything more than help with paperwork. No FUCKING way should they be allowed to take guns and go arrest people.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is FRIGHTENING. Your friend shouldn't be allowed to enforce the laws that he wasn't trained to know. NO, you can NOT learn all the laws a cop deals with in 30 hours. Get a copy of your state's penal codes book, and see how long it takes you just to read it, without even bothering trying to commit any to memory. When I was a little kid, we lived in a small town that used "cops" like this, and guess what. The laws weren't applied right, and it got very dangerous, and we left. Spending 30 hours on training is nothing but dress-up.

Someone with so little training shouldn't be allowed to do anything more than help with paperwork. No FUCKING way should they be allowed to take guns and go arrest people.

He seldom arrests anyone unless it's DUI. It's a small town, there's no crime. He runs radar 95% of his time. If there's a major crime city cops don't handle it the Sheriff's department does that. Major crime might happen once a year in the whole county.

Volunteer firefighters don't have the same training that FDNY has either. But I trust that they can and will rescue myself if the need arises.

He seldom arrests anyone unless it's DUI. It's a small town, there's no crime. He runs radar 95% of his time. If there's a major crime city cops don't handle it the Sheriff's department does that. Major crime might happen once a year in the whole county.

Volunteer firefighters don't have the same training that FDNY has either. But I trust that they can and will rescue myself if the need arises.

I live in a relatively small town (17,000) and we would never, ever rely on volunteer firemen only. We don't have our own fire and police departments but we contract with both CalFire (State of California) for fire protection and the county for our police (we provide the cars but the police are actually sheriff's deputies). Of course, all of this costs money but for our community it is money well-spent. An all-volunteer fire department would make me extremely nervous. How many people from the Duggar's small town are actually available to fight fires? Even the Duggars are not there all the time and there has to be a certain percentage of citizens who are too old to be firefighters. Seems a relic from the past but if it works for them, great.

Where I grew up, in a small community out in a county, rural area, we had a volunteer fire dept. To be in it, you had to attend fire training.

I've never known of firefighters who carry guns, have the authority to arrest, etc. For a volunteer, part-time cop, this is a much greater power, and IMO not really a comparison.

It really bothers me to think there are police out there, doing the job of policing even if for only one shift, who lack the credentialed training generally required of regular police officers. So much could happen.

I live in a relatively small town (17,000) and we would never, ever rely on volunteer firemen only.

TONTITOWN'S population is 2,625.

TONTITOWN'S population is 2,625.

And my population is even less. When your whole county doesn't have 17,000 residents you have to do what you have to do. We also don't have much crime as I stated before. I can't even recall an officer involved shooting in our county. Well there was one time but it was at the shooting range and the idiot shot his foot. He didn't stay. Even part timers have to qualify with their firearms.

The sad thing is their followers, instead of employing critical thinking to statements about their accomplishments, accept everything that they are told.

WOW so this article makes constables sound fantastic! And evidently they are vital to these small towns with limited budgets. So if that's the case, why would an area only have 1? Why not 2 or more? The article said that most of them are volunteer or get the ceremonial $1. I just can't think of any volunteer organization that would rely on 1 volunteer for 24x7 work (on call). Especially when some of these volunteers have to hold regular jobs also (unless they are retired etc) What if poor ol JD gets injured? Or who was taking his place while he was in Texas?

Also I loved that there was no standardization for constables until 2007. Good grief.

I guess I'm not understanding what the perk is to be a constable other than you get to be a cop without the extra work..

SOME do 120 hours training to become certified, but it's not a requirement (depends where you live- and the majority evidently are not) I mean technically you can run for sheriff without any law enforcement experience, and depending on the area, still win. Do we know if JD did the 120 hours?

That's not too bad of a commitment. You didn't have to work to get into an academy, I'd imagine it's harder to wash out of the 120 training course they do too. I'm not sure if I really want a cop that wants to be a cop but without that pesky training to become one.

How long before JD runs for mayor of Tontitown? I guarantee that will happen

BTW, my my JD is either quite the earner, or he is quite expensive for JB... for constable JD has to supply his own uniform, training (if he has it), add in private pilots training, a plane...

I get that the population of Tontitown is very small but aren't they adjacent to a larger town? What would happen if there was a big fire that their volunteers could not handle...would not the fire department of surrounding areas come in to help? (of course they would) Why not just contract with Springdale or whatever town is near them to be their fire service? Since time is of the essence in a fire, a fire department at the ready 24/7 might make a difference. Maybe I am not understanding how a volunteer fire department works. Is there a fire house where some people are there 24/7 or are people "on-call" in case there is a fire and then have to go to the fire station and get the truck and then go to the scene of the fire?

I get that the population of Tontitown is very small but aren't they adjacent to a larger town? What would happen if there was a big fire that their volunteers could not handle...would not the fire department of surrounding areas come in to help? (of course they would) Why not just contract with Springdale or whatever town is near them to be their fire service? Since time is of the essence in a fire, a fire department at the ready 24/7 might make a difference. Maybe I am not understanding how a volunteer fire department works. Is there a fire house where some people are there 24/7 or are people "on-call" in case there is a fire and then have to go to the fire station and get the truck and then go to the scene of the fire?

In my area they are on-call (notified by pager/radio and a village wide siren), proceed to the fire station, get the truck and then go to the scene. If they don't have enough people show up then they call in the mutual aid agreements with other local fire departments, they also do this if it is a really bad fire/situation. I'm not from their area but at least here, even with needing to go to the station first, the response time is still faster than bringing in a truck from another department.

Edited to add: I was at the scene of a fire in high school, they ended up calling in 4 fire departments besides our own. Our truck was on scene in approx. 10 minutes vs. last truck from one of the other professional departments took 55 minutes to arrive (mostly due to distance/drive time).

I was a volunteer firefighter for 15 years before giving it up. I had a radio that sent a tone out when we had a fire or medical call. Just like the PP said we'd got to the station and then go to the call. Structure fires automatically get two other departments paged out. No one is at the station though at the time I lived across the street from mine. If you contract with Springdale you have to wait for Springdale to get there to put the fire out PLUS you have to pay, no one is using volunteers because it's cheap but it's the only way to provide any protection. It appears that Tontitown has some part time paid position which I would assume that someone is in the station all of the time. They couldn't roll until someone else got there, it takes 2 to roll a truck but the person at the station could have the truck ready to go. I know there were times where we didn't have a fire for months on end. In 15 years I probably did 10 structure fires. This time of the year is grass fires and my guess that part of Arkansas is pretty similar to where I'm at.

I'm really just trying to educate here. I know it's hard for those who live in large populated areas to understand. My nearest paid department, fire, is over 20 miles away. The tax base isn't here to provide full time fire and medical. It's a trade off though. I know that I have to wait 20 minutes on an ambulance but I know a helicopter is 15 minutes away. BUT the only reason my front door is locked is because air pressure change can cause it to pop open sometimes so we just leave it locked. That way the door can't come open while we are gone and the dog run away.

I don't think anyone has a problem with volunteer Fire. That seems like a decent way to responsibly protect your community.

But people who enforce the law should have a comprehensive understanding of the law, of the constitution, the court system, etc. I don't think those things can be fully taught in a weekend class. Plus physically, was he taught how to restrain someone, or to shoot a gun? I guess if he's just patrolling and dealing with small matters like a security guard would, and then calling real police to deal with serious issues, that could be defendable.

I mean, I live in Los Angeles (where the police are amazing, haha!) so I really have no idea how these rural communities operate. JD just does not seem educated or competent enough to be doing anything.

I don't think anyone has a problem with volunteer Fire. That seems like a decent way to responsibly protect your community.

But people who enforce the law should have a comprehensive understanding of the law, of the constitution, the court system, etc. I don't think those things can be fully taught in a weekend class. Plus physically, was he taught how to restrain someone, or to shoot a gun? I guess if he's just patrolling and dealing with small matters like a security guard would, and then calling real police to deal with serious issues, that could be defendable.

I mean, I live in Los Angeles (where the police are amazing, haha!) so I really have no idea how these rural communities operate. JD just does not seem educated or competent enough to be doing anything.

You have to qualify with your firearm before taking the classes. I'd guess 90% of my county can qualify with their firearms today. Much like the area that the Duggars live in guns are a part of life because everyone lives so far apart. On a good day you have an officer in a 10 minute response time, most days it's 30 minutes and that's running lights and sirens. The crime in Tonitown is probably much like the crime around here. Some teens doing some underage drinking or someone speeding through town. Nothing is happening around here that security guards in big areas don't deal with.

You have to qualify with your firearm before taking the classes. I'd guess 90% of my county can qualify with their firearms today. Much like the area that the Duggars live in guns are a part of life because everyone lives so far apart. On a good day you have an officer in a 10 minute response time, most days it's 30 minutes and that's running lights and sirens. The crime in Tonitown is probably much like the crime around here. Some teens doing some underage drinking or someone speeding through town. Nothing is happening around here that security guards in big areas don't deal with.

I would agree with grandmaduggar with one exception. Based on my rural area I'll bet there is a fair amount of meth production/sales/use going on in addition to the underage drinking and speeding. I wonder how JD would deal with a scantily clad strung-out meth head?

...he's just patrolling and dealing with small matters like a security guard would, and then calling real police to deal with serious issues...

I am hoping he's just a glorified security guard. They just love to refer to him as a "cop" though, how's that for humble? I'll also agree that the their local law enforcement is pretty unnecessary he majority of the time. They got a real police officer to fake pull over Jim Bob in the "chain the couple together" episode.

I would agree with grandmaduggar with one exception. Based on my rural area I'll bet there is a fair amount of meth production/sales/use going on in addition to the underage drinking and speeding. I wonder how JD would deal with a scantily clad strung-out meth head?

Last weekend I was at the ER. There was a woman there strung out on meth. She was belligerent and violent, brought in by cops, real cops on the real police force in my city.

She was nude from the waist up, fighting her way down the hall, tripped and fell right next to me. The two cops were in front of her trying to stop her as she had pushed a nurse into the wall. Screaming obscenities, screaming that the nurses were trying to kill her.... uh yeah, sure, JD is prepared for that.

Last weekend I was at the ER. There was a woman there strung out on meth. She was belligerent and violent, brought in by cops, real cops on the real police force in my city.

She was nude from the waist up, fighting her way down the hall, tripped and fell right next to me. The two cops were in front of her trying to stop her as she had pushed a nurse into the wall. Screaming obscenities, screaming that the nurses were trying to kill her.... uh yeah, sure, JD is prepared for that.

I thought about this, too. Cops often see people at their nakedest moments, it seems. Good luck with that, JD!

What kind of damn training did he have to be qualified for this position?? What does he know about the law? They just give him a gun and a car and he is policing people?

In the UK they have a sort of untrained voluunteer position too theres a mom in child of our times doing it .and who knows maybe a ged is enough for being a part timer.

tonitown is tiny, lol, my hometown even was bigger(about 8000)(town rights are only given to towns bigger than 10000 inh. anyway)

we had a volunteer department only, and so have all the surrounding villages, there was a big berufsfeuerwehr (meaning that being a firefighter was a job)in the City not far.

(I was in the youth organisation of the fire fighters, (which goes from 12 to 18 and at 18 you should be qualified enough(you go through exams at 16) to go over to the volunteers force) and my uncle was working as a firefighter in the big department in the city)

There's some of that going on here too but that's the county's job to deal with that not the local guys. The other thing is our meth heads are nice enough to just screw with each other and leave the rest of us alone. It's awfully nice of them. :lol:

Now about seeing body parts oh yeah that's going to happen. If not while he is patrolling than most certainly when he goes on a fire call since I'd bet that EMS is rolled into the fire department just like we are. I have seen things I can't unsee. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Um that's also including if'n he wants to pay for that weekend class you speak so highly of. All training/ uniform is at JDs expense. I don't see JB forking over the moula or JD sitting down for a class that he's not required to take.

Do the Duggars not think it's strange that people have to basically research if the any of them have actually met the requirements to do any particular job because of the stretching of truth they do? Jana is a concert pianist, JD a cop and Jill a midwife. When people automatically doubt your kids have the qualifications for anything there is something wrong. If anyone else said their son was a cop we wouldn't doubt it. Do the Duggars think we are stupid enough to believe that their kids can basically do anything without the necessary training or educations? I expect Jinger will soon be a nurse because she has put a bandaid on a skinned knee.

Archived