IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Bates Family Doings: Part 2

happy atheist

Tonight was a Q&A episode. First question, of course, was about more babies. Initially Gil said "absolutely, yes". Kelly adds the of course they'd love more bit but then said "I think I'm getting a little too old because we're trying and nothing's happening". They'd love more but God isn't answering their prayers according to Gil. Their answer ends with Gil: "I think that's a done deal".

I mean the kids sounded like something was in the works. I was instantly suspicious, although they definitely could be fucking with us. But the kids were very adamant about it. Maybe Joseph is involved with Tori?

I actually wondered if one of the Bates boys (Nathan or Trace?) was eyeing a Duggar girl.

Also, Kelly and Gill could not tell their kids apart in baby pictures. The warm and wonderful Kelly and Gill couldn't tell their kids apart in baby pics.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cable company is having a free UP week so I was able to watch the show tonight. Not to rehash last week's episode, but boy...I really get the vibe from Alyssa that she is happy to be free from the family house. I do not get the feeling that she has any desire to do things similarly to her parents (though I could be way off base here). I was also really surprised by the, "we don't want anyone to visit until a month after the baby was born" (though she did say her parents could visit). I think maybe her husband is a bit overwhelmed by them.

Though I must say, Gil did seem endearing working on her tree all night. It just reminded me a lot of my own dad (always willing to go the extra mile for me when he comes to visit).

No comment on the Q & A episode. Lame and same ol' same ol' canned answers.

Kids and baby pictures: I cannot tell my sons' baby pictures apart unless I look at the background and try to figure out were we were living...and I only have 2 sons...they're 3 years apart in age. However, they looked SO much alike as babies...

Found the Q & A completely boring except for Carlin's yodeling and Judson being adorable.

I think the Duggar/Bates match-up question was there just to keep people curious. They could have told us whether or not there's a current courtship.

I thought the Duggar/Bates question was directed towards Tori.

Lawson or one of the boys replied "Tori hopes" to the question will there be a Duggar Bates Wedding. How old is she? Could she be the one Joseph is interested in now that he is going to school near them?

Ok, just stumbled on this while looking up ages.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1798235/19-kid ... ori-bates/

Kids and baby pictures: I cannot tell my sons' baby pictures apart unless I look at the background and try to figure out were we were living...and I only have 2 sons...they're 3 years apart in age. However, they looked SO much alike as babies...

I looked so much like one of my older sisters until I was 5 that the only way we can tell who it is if their is an identical picture of my other sister (they're fraternal twins). There was one which we were sure was me for years until we found the identical picture while moving my grandparents. There is 7 years between us but now that I'm in my late 20's and she her early 30's people think I'm her twin.

I hope these rumors aren't true and I can't see Tori being interested in Joe. From what I've seen, Tori seems to be too spunky and outspoken to become a Duggar.

There are nine kids in my family and we all look exactly alike as babies. My mother dressed us in greens and yellows so even the color doesn't give a clue. I can't tell the baby pictures apart, but my mom can. I'm not sure how, but she can.

I think Kelly not being able to pick out the babies is another thing that Michelle would get torn to shreds about but people will give Kelly a pass, just like when she was asked to name her children in their birth order and she admitted that she isn't able to remember their names well enough to do that.

The Duggars seem pretty spunky and outspoken to me. Jessa is hardly a quiet shrinking flower who is afraid to state her opinion.

Could you imagine the wedding circus if a Bates and Dugger married??? :pink-shock: There children would be so overwhelmed with the sheer number of Aunts and Uncles....

I just watched last nights episode and I'm pretty sure one of the older boys said that Tori was hoping for a duggar/bates match up when the question was asked about a possible Duggar/Bates Courtship. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that something along those lines was said and to me it would be a big sign that something is brewing.

I hope these rumors aren't true and I can't see Tori being interested in Joe. From what I've seen, Tori seems to be too spunky and outspoken to become a Duggar.

I agree, but being a very loud and outspoken personality myself, I ended up marrying someone more like Joe, seemingly very quiet and mellow. I used to date guys more like me, but surprise surprise, we would have the most epic fights and clashes. I realized that I needed someone to balance me. Joe and Tori, gulp, might be a good fit? :ew:

On another note, do we know the extent to which families like the Bates and Duggars use government assistance programs? They give a ton of lip service to staying out of debt, but accepting TANF/SNAP/Medicaid, etc., isn't technically going into debt. Pre-fame, I find it very hard to believe they just rejected it because of some weird Gothard-ite principal of independence (don't even know what his stance on government aid is/was?). Granted, with that many kids, doesn't matter how much aid you're eligible for, it gets stretched very thin, but the sum of eligible benefits would be the equivalent of a decent, 5-figure job in most rural states. Any insights on this? I'm sure it's been discussed times over elsewhere...

Up is having a twitter party for the next episode. I would be greatly amused if instead of getting tons of praises for the Bates they instead got lots of information about Gil's involvement with ATI and Bill Gothard.

I agree, but being a very loud and outspoken personality myself, I ended up marrying someone more like Joe, seemingly very quiet and mellow. I used to date guys more like me, but surprise surprise, we would have the most epic fights and clashes. I realized that I needed someone to balance me. Joe and Tori, gulp, might be a good fit? :ew:

On another note, do we know the extent to which families like the Bates and Duggars use government assistance programs? They give a ton of lip service to staying out of debt, but accepting TANF/SNAP/Medicaid, etc., isn't technically going into debt. Pre-fame, I find it very hard to believe they just rejected it because of some weird Gothard-ite principal of independence (don't even know what his stance on government aid is/was?). Granted, with that many kids, doesn't matter how much aid you're eligible for, it gets stretched very thin, but the sum of eligible benefits would be the equivalent of a decent, 5-figure job in most rural states. Any insights on this? I'm sure it's been discussed times over elsewhere...

The do not use Government assistance other than tax credits.

I took the whole D/B wedding thing to be just "there's so many of us, so many of them" kind of thing, but why does everyone assume Joseph and Tori? John David spent a ton of time there working on the house. Jinger, Josiah and the twins and JoyAnna are all available Duggars and there are a lot of Bates in the same age group.

The do not use Government assistance other than tax credits.

I took the whole D/B wedding thing to be just "there's so many of us, so many of them" kind of thing, but why does everyone assume Joseph and Tori? John David spent a ton of time there working on the house. Jinger, Josiah and the twins and JoyAnna are all available Duggars and there are a lot of Bates in the same age group.

Because Joseph is living with the Bates family.

I am the outspoken and loud one, my husband is the quiet one.

However, Tori's quick wit wouldn't go over too well with J'chelle....Tori is apt to speak her mind instead of "keeping sweet"....

However, Tori's quick wit wouldn't go over too well with J'chelle....Tori is apt to speak her mind instead of "keeping sweet"....

Yeah. I wonder how a Bates kid would fit in on 19k&c because we would see more of them given the the Duggars are fame whores.

Could you imagine the wedding circus if a Bates and Dugger married??? :pink-shock: There children would be so overwhelmed with the sheer number of Aunts and Uncles....

The lost girls better start addressing invitations now if that even happens. There would be Eleventy bridesmaids & half a dozen ring bearers. They'd have to hold the wedding in the Houston Astrodome.

[plenty of room in the parking lot for the reception]

They'd love more but God isn't answering their prayers according to Gil.

I'm not religiousy but I did grow up going to church and I remember our pastor saying, "God ALWAYS answers your prayers... it just may not be the answer YOU want."

I think these fundies need to think about that. Just my two cents.

I just watched last nights episode and I'm pretty sure one of the older boys said that Tori was hoping for a duggar/bates match up when the question was asked about a possible Duggar/Bates Courtship. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that something along those lines was said and to me it would be a big sign that something is brewing.

That got my attention. I'm not usually on the speculation train but when they were all asked that question and one of the boys said "Tori hopes so, or Tori probably hopes so" she sort of blushed and hid behind a younger sibling. Michelle said in a recent episode that there weren't any courtships in the works but that may have been recorded before anything started so she wouldn't technically be lying. :think:

As for her not being able to tell some of the kids apart in pictures I don't think it's a huge deal. My niece is a year younger than her brother and wore many of his hand me downs and we sometimes have trouble figuring out who's who in their baby pictures.

This! Just the fact that the Duggars are so awkward and stiff compared to the Bateses, I can't see any of the Bates girl wanting to marry into the Duggar family.

I agree that it's not such a big deal about the baby photos, and I have an only child so I know who is in all of the baby pictures I have. :)

There are a lot of kids, and most likely the babies wore the same clothes as their siblings so the pictures could be similar. And some people change a lot from the time they're babies until they're teens/young adults. I cut them some slack because my mom is one of five and I've heard her discussing old pictures with her siblings and not being sure 100% who's who in them occasionally.

That got my attention. I'm not usually on the speculation train but when they were all asked that question and one of the boys said "Tori hopes so, or Tori probably hopes so" she sort of blushed and hid behind a younger sibling. Michelle said in a recent episode that there weren't any courtships in the works but that may have been recorded before anything started so she wouldn't technically be lying. :think:

As for her not being able to tell some of the kids apart in pictures I don't think it's a huge deal. My niece is a year younger than her brother and wore many of his hand me downs and we sometimes have trouble figuring out who's who in their baby pictures.

It's possible that the parties are interested in each other but waiting for one or both parties to get in a more "mature" place either in terms of finances/career or just age before officially courting. Courtship is basically pre-engagement, so they could be in the "getting to know you" stage since getting to know someone as a potential mate is different than knowing them as a friend. Also, the Duggars seem to prefer to wait until the kids are slightly older to court/marry (look at all the flack they get for Ben!), and while the Bates let Alyssa marry young, now that they are back in the spotlight, they may be less keen on teenage marriages as well.

Also, the Duggars tend to keep courtships secret until they are pretty sure about them (they tried to lie about Jill's but a younger spilled the beans), so it could be that as well.

Basically, there are a few situations where Tori could be involved with a Duggar that wouldn't make Michelle's statement technically a lie or could be why she would hide it.

I actually found the Q&A kind of interesting, and not all of the questions were softball ones, either. Of course they dodged some questions or glossed over their answers, but they didn't shy away from talking about religion (naturally not ATI/IBLP specifically). The tour of the home was something I hadn't seen before and their kids seemed a little more separated than the Duggar kids, but I did feel sorry for the girls who have to sleep on the trundle beds - is that preferable to bunk beds?

Not a lot of the info was really new, but at least they got the whole family involved. Still waiting on an engagement for Michae(la), but then again, she probably is, too... I believe the older boys, when asked, did mention that 18 or 19 is the youngest one should court, though.

I wouldn't think Tori-Joe would be good match but I can see why an (older) Bates would want to court a duggar. Up until recently, it seems that the Bates were living hand-to-mouth and they are going to remember how tat felt as kids/growing up. The Duggar family is financially more secure so a Duggar marriage means your own gaggle of kids as a better chance of not growing up in poverty. I wouldn't want to marry any fundie but if I had to- I'd probably choose a Duggar. I wouldn't want to have 19 kids (period) but if that was my life plan- I'd rather do it with JD Duggar than a Pearl boy :lol:

Archived