IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Bates Family Doings: Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I have been incarcerated by Cancer in my home I decided to check out the Bates Family Show. Despite their religious convictions I found this family to be pretty normal. It was a pleasure to watch the family bonding together and Mom and Dad having fun with the kids. There is a closeness with this family that the Duggars don't have at all. The Duggars are more robotic while the Bates are living their lives, carefree, enjoying each other. Actually the Duggars show looks like a train wreck compared to the Bates show. Its refreshing to see this family living and playing together. I also think Kelly Bates the mom has a strong and great personality. She looks so relaxed with her children and involved with them- which is a big difference between her and Michelle Duggar who looks possessed, obsessed, and could care less about her children and what happens in their lives. Kelly and Gil I noticed aren't always in their kids faces 24/7 especially the Married Childrens Lives in fact their daughter in law gets too lonesome while her husband is at work so she goes over to visit the bates homestead. Its opposite for the Duggar Married Children who still feel the need to have chaperone siblings still very much in their private married lives. One thing about the Bates is they teach their children manners and to be respectful of people , places and things. The Bates seem more refined compared to the Country Bumpkin Duggars. The Bates are just overall likeable and if I had to choose which family to belong to I would choose The Bates hands down. They don't pretend to be something they aren't and seem like very honest folks. Like I said before I don't support their religious beliefs but I do think they are highly educated with Gil and Kelly coming from good homes, A hardworking family and a loving family, something you don't see with the Duggars. Its too bad Gil got caught in a situation where Jimbob gave him a van for his family and helped and paid for the addition to the Bates Home because I think Kelly is the one that feels obligated to the Duggars for these " gifts." Jimbob seems the type of person who would hold something like this over Gils head plus it had to make Gil feel uncomfortable. Jimbob and the Duggars should have been discrete about gifting to the Bates but then we all know Jimbob has a big head and he wants everyone to think he is a good guy so be as public as possible with good deeds so everyone can bow down to Jimbob. I think the Bates are humble whereas the Duggers feel like the world owes them for Jimbob pounding out 19 kids. I don't hear Kelly and Gil acting sexually inappropriate in front of their children or even talking out of turn about sexual things around the kids. Thats a plus for the Bates. They do have some dignity about personal things. I loved Bradleys birth episode. It was great they went to the hospital to have the baby instead of in a moldy bathroom with the father deciding the baby was going to be born at home with the help of a midwife. Kelly was great and was there for the birth parents offering encouragement and giving praising accolades to the new mama as their first grandson was born. As for Kelly with getting the family together once a week for dinner and bible study. I just think Kelly wants to keep her family close to each other for family get together s. She has one daughter who has moved away so its ok if she wants her kids to spend time with Her, Gil and the rest of the kids. My only hope is Gil will cut all ties with anything gothard and finally open his eyes to see what kind of organization Gothard really runs.

Gil comes across as arrogant and fake. I'm guessing off camera, he's a completely different person and has a temper. I think JB is the same way. As soon as these kids are married and out of the house, they all seem much happier and relaxed. (That could be from getting laid, though, too.)

I'm liking the Bateses more and more (except for Gil) but don't know how much of it is presentation. I think they're cut from essentially the same cloth as the Duggars - though they seem brighter and more interested in their kids as individuals. OTOH, the Duggars have been in the spotlight for a lot longer than the Bateses and maybe some of what we're seeing reflects the wear-and-tear from a decade on TV.

I'd like to see a series, or at least a report, on a Gothard family who's living in poverty with umpteen kids, has no viable plan, and isn't cute enough to distract the audience from their miserable situation.

I'm liking the Bateses more and more (except for Gil) but don't know how much of it is presentation. I think they're cut from essentially the same cloth as the Duggars - though they seem brighter and more interested in their kids as individuals. OTOH, the Duggars have been in the spotlight for a lot longer than the Bateses and maybe some of what we're seeing reflects the wear-and-tear from a decade on TV.

I'd like to see a series, or at least a report, on a Gothard family who's living in poverty with umpteen kids, has no viable plan, and isn't cute enough to distract the audience from their miserable situation.

So...you want to see the Rodrigues family FINALLY get the show she's been dreaming of?

So...you want to see the Rodrigues family FINALLY get the show she's been dreaming of?

Hell yeah!!! I would be on the couch, phone off, popcorn ready each week that show was set to air.

Plus, it would not only feed my snark cravings, but give those kids a chance at nutrition and going a couple hours without getting the crap beaten out of them with plumbing line.

Church-of-dog -- Your statement about not liking Christmas as a child was interesting -- Im just curious as to how you came to that realization? If it was me, I think I would just assume I liked something as a kid, but my tastes changed and I didn't like it anymore. What felt different about this? Just wondering, don't answer if you don't feel like it :)

I understand what you're saying. I didn't feel so much like "hmm, I used to like this but now I don't" -- it was more like "oh aha, THAT'S why I felt so awkward at Christmastime every year! Because I wasn't really having fun but didn't recognize that!"

My experiences as a kid at Christmas weren't actually "fun" but it was just anathema to actually have the conscious thought that maybe I wasn't having fun, so it just never occurred to me until as an adult I had the ability to see past the expectations and assumptions. Once I was able to have the thought "maybe I just didn't like the whole Christmas morning tradition", my immediate reaction was "oh yeah, THAT matches how I felt!"

Not sure if any of that makes sense. I think the gist of it is for the Christmas thing is that I didn't really understand the holiday, and there were things I felt odd about (the whole gift emphasis), but since "kids love Christmas" I never considered at the time that maybe I wasn't enjoying it. But later when I thought about it I realized I had felt really uncomfortable, and just didn't know enough to hone in on that or how to articulate it.

I know this sounds like I must have been completely oblivious to my own feelings, but if I had really HATED it I would certainly have perceived that -- this was more of a mild experience, just a discomfort that wasn't enough to cause me to question my experience consciously at the time, but enough for me to remember feeling awkward, embarrassed, etc. I remember feeling almost relieved to have "discovered" that "I didn't like Christmas" because that in a sense validated my experiences and put it into words, instead of me wondering "what's wrong with me".

OK, I see that the more I type the less this makes sense, so I better stop here :lol:

Gil comes across as arrogant and fake. I'm guessing off camera, he's a completely different person and has a temper. I think JB is the same way. As soon as these kids are married and out of the house, they all seem much happier and relaxed. (That could be from getting laid, though, too.)

I always got a fake vibe from Gil too, he seems like he's really trying to cover up his true self with a nice, Christian veneer. His arrogance shines through though. He strikes me as a huge know-it-all, and I suspect he's a huge PITA to be around, even around his family. He and Kelly seem to get along but I am sure Kelly knows how to play him. The kids are trained to respect him at all times but I do see some relief in the married kids, namely Zach and Alyssa, that they are out of the house and maybe it's because they don't have to dance around their father.

I still would love to know how many folks are tired of Gil's grifting. I suspect that Gil's strategy of making people feel sorry for the family and give stuff isn't working so well now that the kids are older and he might exhausted all his options as well as people's patience. Therefore the show and also "allowing" the girls to work. Plus some of his breadwinners have married and left home.

Yes, I have zero respect for the man.

I remember a while back we had a poster who said she knew the Bates casually and that while they came off nice, they only seemed to have people around when they needed a favor from that person. Very shallow. I could see Gil being that way, but I sense a warmth from Kelly. Who really knows, though.

...One thing about the Bates is they teach their children manners and to be respectful of people , places and things. The Bates seem more refined compared to the Country Bumpkin Duggars. The Bates are just overall likeable and if I had to choose which family to belong to I would choose The Bates hands down. They don't pretend to be something they aren't and seem like very honest folks...

They sure do teach their kids manners, thank heavens. Could you imagine two families that size getting together with no concept of social graces or courtesies whatsoever? At least the Duggars seem to reel it in a bit when they're around the Bates.

Re: bolded: that's an interesting perspective, since it always seemed to me that the show tried to portray the Bates as the poor country bumpkins, and the Duggars as so gracious and financially secure as to build the other family a home. But I can see what you're saying.

Whoa. Inception.

Wasn't Lawson selling his CDs at one of his sibling's weddings? Am I remembering correctly?

Yes, he was hawking his wares CDs at Erin's wedding.

Yes, he was hawking his wares CDs at Erin's wedding.

Every duggar/bates wedding is a money making/ gift grabbing event...

THIS!! This would interest me so, so much. I recently read an article in National Geographic about malnutrition especially in rural areas of the USA. People working their asses off to feed their families and still they were struggling to fill the fridge. I cannot imagine how fundie families handle this issue since they depend on one income due to the fact that women aren't allowed to work outside the home.

I remember a while back we had a poster who said she knew the Bates casually and that while they came off nice, they only seemed to have people around when they needed a favor from that person. Very shallow. I could see Gil being that way, but I sense a warmth from Kelly. Who really knows, though.

Kelly totally comes off as fake to me, moreso than Gil. I would be much more frightened of her than Gil if I was in that house.

I get the extremely fake vibe from Kelly too. I think that Gil is not the only grifter in that family. I bet it is a team effort and that Kelly is less friendly towards people who get tired of having to support her large family because she and Gil refuse to work.

Every duggar/bates wedding is a money making/ gift grabbing event...

Yep, gotta maximize the money potential from gullible leghumpers fans and any invited guest trapped into donating more money after bringing a gift, the latter being a reference to the "donations" extracted from guests at Cherin's wedding to pay for their honeymoon as well as Lawson trying to sell his CDs. :pink-shock:

Well I guess nobody cares about Bringing Up Bates anymore :lol:

Or it could be nobody has the channel to watch the show

Yep, gotta maximize the money potential from gullible leghumpers fans and any invited guest trapped into donating more money after bringing a gift, the latter being a reference to the "donations" extracted from guests at Cherin's wedding to pay for their honeymoon as well as Lawson trying to sell his CDs. :pink-shock:

There were donations? I mean many cultures, even subcultures within the US will do some money raising thing. In my area there is a dollar dance that is common. Men pay money to dance a few minutes with the bride. The Bride will put on a half apron with pockets on it , and then the men, and usually most of the little kids, will each take a turn dancing. They put their "dollar" in the pocket of the apron. It is usually to some very silly song, and it is all in fun. They typically give far more than a dollar, but that is what it is called. The idea is to give them a nice little bump of cash to carry with them on the honeymoon. My niece ended up with about $500 dollars. So it really isn't enough to pay for the wedding it is definitely a nice way to send the happy couple off on a honeymoon.

I think other groups will have dances where money is dropped into a hat. Personally I think those kinds of traditions are great. No one is forced to donate, and it just ends up being a big ol' party. I think someone has mentioned that in some parts of the US, they put money in the Newlywed's car or truck. I am sure there are other traditions

But if there was actually a box where donations were asked for, then that seems very tacky.

I think March madness might have taken over the TV's.

I would much rather watch the Bates over the Duggars, but for different reasons. I enjoy the what I view as the closeness and spontaneity of the Bates, and I enjoy watching the Duggars to see how many WTF moments I will see.

Yes, I know the Bates are cut from the same freaky cloth as the Duggars, but if we are just simply talking about enjoyment, I enjoy theirs and rarely find myself agitated by it. But when I watch the Duggars, I will be talking back to the screen, pointing out stupid shit to my husband, and all in all annoyed by how clueless they are. Like watching Josie make a pizza? Ugh, that was so gross, and yet Michelle and JB seemed to think it was cute.

I half-watched it tonight while doing some housework. One part I did catch was how they all seemed to think that a Bates-Duggar wedding was pretty much a sure thing to happen at some point. Even the boys were quite emphatic about it. I'm sure that will fire up a lot of speculation... :lol:

I recorded it, but I'm behind on viewing.

I half-watched it tonight while doing some housework. One part I did catch was how they all seemed to think that a Bates-Duggar wedding was pretty much a sure thing to happen at some point. Even the boys were quite emphatic about it. I'm sure that will fire up a lot of speculation... :lol:

Don't get the channel (or any for that matter) so I can't watch unless it ends up on youtube, but I really wonder if there's a Duggar/Bates courtship in the works. Both Gil and Erin have said it's inevitable, several Bates kids spent Christmas at the Duggar compound, and a Duggar recently moved to TN to attend the same college the Bates kids go to. Anyone else starting to draw conclusions? Joseph/Tori?

Do you think they were really alluding to a Duggar/Bates match or simply trying to get people to watch?

Tonight was a Q&A episode. First question, of course, was about more babies. Initially Gil said "absolutely, yes". Kelly adds the of course they'd love more bit but then said "I think I'm getting a little too old because we're trying and nothing's happening". They'd love more but God isn't answering their prayers according to Gil. Their answer ends with Gil: "I think that's a done deal".

Do you think they were really alluding to a Duggar/Bates match or simply trying to get people to watch?

I mean the kids sounded like something was in the works. I was instantly suspicious, although they definitely could be fucking with us. But the kids were very adamant about it. Maybe Joseph is involved with Tori?

Archived