IGNORED

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

happy atheist

This is Tina Fey's new project, and it's on Netflix. Anyone else watching?

Kimmy was kidnapped by a crazy preacher when she was 14 and spent 15 years living in a bunker with 3 other women, convinced they were the only survivors of the apocalypse. The series picks up when the women (dubbed the Indiana Mole Women) are rescued and Kimmy decides to not see herself as a victim, but to reintegrate into the world and pursue her dreams. It's delightful.

Since it's Netflix, the whole series is available immediately. I'm 5 episodes in and it keeps getting better.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's SO GOOD. I can't imagine it anywhere except Netflix. The major networks would have been too scared to show it. The minor networks would have lost too much of the audience between episodes. It's really one of those shows you need to watch in 2-3 hour blocks.

Jane Krakowski (?sp?) slays me. She's awesome.

I loved the surprise about Jane Krakowski's character's family. That was awesome.

And the names are spectacular. Titus Andromedon and his acting nemesis Coriolanus Burt. Xanthippe Lannister Voorhees. Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne.

I haven't seen this yet, but there is SO much talent behind it that it's top of my list. So happy to see Tina Fey's work back on TV (and Tina herself from what I hear?).

I haven't seen this yet, but there is SO much talent behind it that it's top of my list. So happy to see Tina Fey's work back on TV (and Tina herself from what I hear?).

Tina is in the later episodes, and it's pure comedy gold. Watch it! Watch it!

I'm watching because of the parallels to fundydom, the opportunity to laugh at fundydom through Tina Fey's eyes, and because Ellie Kemper (Kimmy Schmidt) is my former student!

The faux "Breaking News" headlines are hilarious:

WHITE WOMEN FOUND

Hispanic woman also found

"cult leader Richard Wayne Gary Wayne, aka Methuzalophsteron." Worst wedding DJ.

I wonder if Tina Fey and Robert Carlock are FJ lurkers, using FJ as nexus and resource for so-many-things fundy?

I've been watching! I've been singing Pinot Noir since Saturday. That's my new jam. I love the Mrs. Vorhees twist, too.

So, I started it and I love it. The show is VERY reminiscent of 30 Rock! Kemper just kills it and the writing is so snappy. And who here has had the theme stuck in their heads all day?

The theme is catchy, but I really don't like it.

I do find that I started each episode about 2 minutes in, to avoid the song.

The theme is catchy, but I really don't like it.

Omg. The last four hours inside my head has just been "unbreakable! They're alive, damnit! Its a miracle!". And I've only watched two episodes! Catchy is an understatement. I think its a neat idea and I like how they sort-of naturally wove it into the first episode, but it does rather lose whatever charms it started with on the ten-millionth loop.

It's funny. I love the intro song. "They alive, dammit" has been in my head since I started binge-watching yesterday. I find that the courtroom episodes are losing me a bit though because I always get frustrated by the plot device of "everyone is too stupid to see the truth"--that comes up in movies a lot too and I hate it there as well.

I've been watching episodes here and there since the release. Right now, I'm watching episode 12, which is Kimmy at the trial. I love the combined spoof on FLDS and other fundie circles.

I do wish that they spent more time on Kimmy and the other women trying to adapt to society that they missed for 15 years.

The spoiler talks about the season as a whole.

I do wish that they spent more time on Kimmy and the other women trying to adapt to society that they missed for 15 years.

Maybe next season?

TBH, I also thought 30 Rock's first season was one of its weakest. Perhaps Kimmy will also stabilize with time.

Oh lord. Feeeemales are STRONG AS HELL. I'm with Jaynie...it replays in my head constantly, even when I haven't seen the show in a good while. It's a miracle.

Vanity Fair says, vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/03/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-theme-song. The uncut monologue is still my favorite thing. "Forty-hundred police cars!"

ETA: "Now they're free to...wear shorts, and go look at cars. Maybe even take a computer class"...otherwise known as how FJ feels about all the Fundies we want to see escape.

I have it in my head as well, but I like it so it's alright. It's become a running joke in the office to sing the Pinot Noir song as well, with additional rhymes.

Today while updating my computer:

"Pinot Noir, progress bar..."

So I finally finished watching a couple of days ago. And I'm either having a flashback or deja vu, but the bit where Gretchen says she's happy to be brainwashed because it means her mind is clean, or something to that effect -- is it just me, or did someone we follow actually say that? Does anyone remember?

So I finally finished watching a couple of days ago. And I'm either having a flashback or deja vu, but the bit where Gretchen says she's happy to be brainwashed because it means her mind is clean, or something to that effect -- is it just me, or did someone we follow actually say that? Does anyone remember?

Jill Rodgrigues viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23223

i totally think Tina Fey knows fundies IRL :lol: she nails it

Jill Rodgrigues viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23223

i totally think Tina Fey knows fundies IRL [emoji38] she nails it

Oh my gosh, thank you! That has been driving me a little crazy -- and why am I not surprised at who said it? It's such a specific and bizarre sentiment that I did wonder if Tina Fey might have done her time as an FJ lurker, if I was indeed remembering correctly. Either way, you're right -- she nailed it. And here I have friends who thinks Gretchen is OTT!

Archived