IGNORED

Family of 14 leaving cooperite sect in NZ

morri

This community looks nearly amish like fundie, http://www.cults.co.nz/c.php#cooperites

Hot Topic The Cooperites are a self-sufficient group of about 400 members at Gloriavale Christian Community on the West Coast of the South Island), where they moved in 1991 from their former location at Springbank Christian Community near Cust, North Canterbury (also known at that time as Cust Christian Community and Christian Community Church). Founded in the 1960s by Neville Cooper, who is now known as Hopeful Christian. His second-in-command is Fervent Stedfast. The contact person for the Gloriavale Christian Community School is Faithful Pilgrim. The community is self-sufficient, and runs at least four export businesses including sphagnum moss. Businesses are directed by Steady Standtrue. The Cooperites hold very conservative Christian principles, apparently with an emphasis on sex within marriage. The median age of the community is 15. They strongly restrict contact with the outside world, especially contact with former members (a mind control technique known as shunning). Submissions for this listing are now being accepted

[] they left their community to start life in the rest of society.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11415552

This is fantastic. Also, too many fundamentalists hop from one extremist religion to another, without taking into account the emotional and mental damage that it causes the kids. These parents seem like they want to take things slowly, so that the kids can fully grasp the decisions that are being made. I respect that, a lot.

It's also wonderful that they are getting the support they need from the outside world to make the jump. Solid support and generosity from the beginning will only re-enforce their decision to leave.

Amazing news, I'm happy. It's going to be a huge shift in their lives. I hope they all can handle it well and walk their children through it. IT's hard on the parents, too. Good for them!

It helps the the father has 20 years experience as a dairy farmer. That can be a very well paid job in NZ and they are on the South Island where most of the farms tend to be. Thank goodness he wasn't a pastor or such!

On a side-note.

Where did you find the first link morri?

Started reading there last night and got stuck for a few hours. Holy "persecuted" christian!

Atheism is a false religion? 98% of all abortions in NZ are illegal? Zsuzsu and PPs friend Hoviend (?spelling?) is a good ChristianTM whose only fault was to not pay his taxes? Focus on families Radio is good? All Kirk Cameron Movies are excellent?

Nothing on The Tool or Bill Gotthard that I could find.

By the time I finished reading, I almost woke the partner, I was laughing that hard!

Just when I feel the sads that we don't have any Nutters here, you make me feel better by reminding me that they are just a bit better hidden :lol: :dance:

It helps the the father has 20 years experience as a dairy farmer. That can be a very well paid job in NZ and they are on the South Island where most of the farms tend to be...

Not really.

On a side-note.

Where did you find the first link morri?

Started reading there last night and got stuck for a few hours. Holy "persecuted" christian!

Atheism is a false religion? 98% of all abortions in NZ are illegal? Zsuzsu and PPs friend Hoviend (?spelling?) is a good ChristianTM whose only fault was to not pay his taxes? Focus on families Radio is good? All Kirk Cameron Movies are excellent?

Nothing on The Tool or Bill Gotthard that I could find.

By the time I finished reading, I almost woke the partner, I was laughing that hard!

Just when I feel the sads that we don't have any Nutters here, you make me feel better by reminding me that they are just a bit better hidden :lol: :dance:

oh it came up when i looked for cooperites, it is nz website . It I think focusses only on cults in NZ and there are possiby no gothardites in NZ

i havent ventured further than the c page which still looked alright but interesting seeing it is a bit funny .

at least they don't beat around the bush with it

Although called "The New Zealand Cult List", the list is now much broader than just a list of the cults in this country. It contains both religious and secular groups, Christian and non-Christian groups. Some individuals are also included. The list is written from a Christian perspective and is primarily intended as a resource for New Zealand Christians. However, it may still be of some use to non-Christians, and people in other countries. For more information, please see the About Cults.co.nz page.

If you simply want to moan about how you've discovered the site's secret Christian agenda, please read the home page (second paragraph) before starting your moan. We don't make any secret of it. Really. Thank you.

Not really.

"Irregardless", a farming job is a skill which is always needed somewhere and he has 16 mouths to feed in total. I wish he had passed down his skills to his children so that they could start growing food around their own house. Quality food is one of the most important things in life, it is the basics of survival. I am rooting for these people.

Guys. Guys. GUYS!!! They have a cafeteria. Not only a cafeteria, but a cafeteria where everyone eats every meal. It would be god's will for me to never ever ever have to think about what's for dinner ever again!

I'm getting me a headscarf and getting on a plane.

Guys. Guys. GUYS!!! They have a cafeteria. Not only a cafeteria, but a cafeteria where everyone eats every meal. It would be god's will for me to never ever ever have to think about what's for dinner ever again!

I'm getting me a headscarf and getting on a plane.

You can take your laundry over to my MIL's house in Wellington. She loves to do laundry. She might make you take her to the shop for cakes and go to mass, though.

oh it came up when i looked for cooperites, it is nz website . It I think focusses only on cults in NZ and there are possiby no gothardites in NZ

i havent ventured further than the c page which still looked alright but interesting seeing it is a bit funny .

at least they don't beat around the bush with it

There are definitely gothardists. I grew up with a lot of them and still know a handful personally.

You can take your laundry over to my MIL's house in Wellington. She loves to do laundry. She might make you take her to the shop for cakes and go to mass, though.

This is pretty much an ideal situation for me. no cooking, no laundry, a bit of shopping (I always liked the company of older people) Mass......I am quite the lukewarm Catholic but enjoy Mass in a beautiful church. I would even play cards or do jigsaw puzzles with the lady. I actually do that at least once a week where my mom lives by choice and for fun not because I am trying to volunteer either. Bananagrams and Yahtzee are fun too.

Very interesting people. They seam very Amish like in that documentary. at the very least every one has a skill and works for real. that way they have something to rely on. The Got Hard -its are so sheltering in their skills and vocations.

Good luck to the family!!!

I quite like laundry. I'd definitely work in the laundry and eat in the cafeteria. And quite happily play scrabble or do jigsaws every evening.

• 4 months later...

the men decide if an inan is taken to hospital, so no birth control but let newborns die if they arent well? great hypocrisy..

Archived