IGNORED

Making curtains?

RandomTrivia

Has anyone ever made curtains? Is it harder than it looks, for a basic square/rectangular curtain with a rod pocket or grommets? We've been window-shopping for curtains, and for the price and color choices, I'm tempted to buy fabric and make my own. I have a sewing machine (mid-80s-ish White model, nothing spectacular), I can sew a fairly straight line, and I've done a couple of small sewing projects. How crazy am I?

Not crazy at all

The popular pattern makers (Butterick McCalls, etc.) have patterns for making curtains in a variety of styles. Several of them look fancy but are labeled "easy". You can buy curtain quality fabric, but I've sewn them with good quality quilting fabrics.

If you are in the US, you can find coupons at JoAnns for the patterns and the fabric.

• 2 months later...

Second on the vote for curtains not being difficult. As long as the machine can handle the fabric.

If you haven't completed the project already - start with measurements and hardware. Waiting to buy hardware until after you have tossed them together could lead to unhappy surprises.

But yes, essentially most curtains are some variation of a cuffed sheet. How it goes on the rod and all that jazz will be up to you, but something you can usually figure out with a bit of planning.

• 11 months later...

Sometimes  flat sheets are cheaper then yardage. The finished edges can work for you. I have hung some with a tension shower rod, and made a curtain for a 6'  closet door.

Also I like to re-dye them with rit dye or even coffee or tea. Be creative. I dyed a blue printed sheet teal, and it made them look very good. Beets would dye a dark fushia experiment!

Flat sheets is a good idea. You might be able to find fabric shower curtains (not plastic) that have cool texture or design, but they can be too short for some windows, depending on the window or how you hang them. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I have made curtains from tablecloths ,shower curtains, sheets and regular fabric.  Tablecloths are the easiest (IMO).  Just find a pattern you like.  Zulily has great  tablecloths (I am NOT employed by them)

Archived