IGNORED

Is divorce the only path to freedom for the Duggar daughters?

Coldwinterskies

None of this means they can't leave. FLDS women do it all the time with way less resources. Posters on these boards have done it. Any of the Duggar kids could leave this religion and take care of themselves, if they chose to do so. Don't sell them short like that.

I'm not saying they can't. But it's hard to go against you're upbringing. It's hard to just leave. The duggar kids are lucky that they have a fan base and outsiders that can help them. Most fundies don't have that. If Jessa or Jill wanted to leave they'll have support. However they might lose a relationship with their siblings and their parents. That's the drawback that they have to think about.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying they can't. But it's hard to go against you're upbringing. It's hard to just leave. The duggar kids are lucky that they have a fan base and outsiders that can help them. Most fundies don't have that. If Jessa or Jill wanted to leave they'll have support. However they might lose a relationship with their siblings and their parents. That's the drawback that they have to think about.

That's a fact. The Duggars may be surrounded by non-fundies in some ways, but in others, their only true support system is one another (like-minded fundies). It is so very hard to walk away from everything you know and into a world you have been taught since birth is EVIL and out to get you. I did it, and I know other former fundies (irl, I mean but also online if it comes to that) who have too. But it is a process and not at all an easy one.

That's a fact. The Duggars may be surrounded by non-fundies in some ways, but in others, their only true support system is one another (like-minded fundies). It is so very hard to walk away from everything you know and into a world you have been taught since birth is EVIL and out to get you. I did it, and I know other former fundies (irl, I mean but also online if it comes to that) who have too. But it is a process and not at all an easy one.

That's not true. I don't think any of their aunts and uncles are fundies. Anna has several siblings who have left. And it might actually be easier to leave with JB&M in the spotlight. Hard to shun your kids with people watching and all. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is going to happen. Don't assume all of them are buying what their parents are selling.

Obviously it is hard to walk away, but it happens every day.

I still don't foresee them ever doing anything opposed to the family.

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold"

That's not true. I don't think any of their aunts and uncles are fundies. Anna has several siblings who have left. And it might actually be easier to leave with JB&M in the spotlight. Hard to shun your kids with people watching and all. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is going to happen. Don't assume all of them are buying what their parents are selling.

Obviously it is hard to walk away, but it happens every day.

Maybe I'm just long-winded, but sometimes I feel people only skim what I write and then argue a strawman based on what they think I wrote. *shrug*

That said, I have no doubt in my mind that at least one and maybe more of the younger Duggars will absolutely break from the fold as soon as they have a chance. But I'm not so sure about the older ones.

Can someone please explain about covenant marriage? I thought it was just a religious term, but people are mentioning it as though it's a separate legal category. How is it different from any other form of marriage? Is it like a pre-nuptial agreement?

Can someone please explain about covenant marriage? I thought it was just a religious term, but people are mentioning it as though it's a separate legal category. How is it different from any other form of marriage? Is it like a pre-nuptial agreement?

Some states allow you to enter into a marriage which would require basically a fault based divorce. That would mean someone would have to prove the other party had done something wrong (abuse, adultery ext.) in order to divorce. This was how all divorces used to work. Interestingly people used to make agreements about faking "fault" so they could divorce when both parties wanted out but no actual "fault" had occurred. Today they could just move to a different state for a period of time (generally 3-6 months). If only one person wanted a divorce in this kind of marriage that person could also move states for the required period and file in a state which does not have a covenant marriage option. It is also possible that this may change if SCOTUS rules that all states must recognize homosexual marriages from other states.

The only other path to freedom is Mullet and Boob spontaneously combusting from AquaNet use and thus freeing all the children.

Delurking to ask, what arrangements do you think they have made IF they were to die while still having under age children/unmarried daughters? I mean if they were to die tomorrow, I wonder what would happen? I would hope Josh wouldn't have anything to do with the younger kids........

Delurking to ask, what arrangements do you think they have made IF they were to die while still having under age children/unmarried daughters? I mean if they were to die tomorrow, I wonder what would happen? I would hope Josh wouldn't have anything to do with the younger kids........

They would probably all be Josh's legal responsibility starting with Joy Anna (who will be 18 at the end of October) and ending with Josie.

I would hope Josh wouldn't have anything to do with the younger kids........

You and I might hope for that, but remember that we're talking about people who think that saying you're sorry and asking Jesus to forgive you gives you a totally clean slate.

I could see Jill leaving Gothardism, without divorcing, if Derek insisted. I think eventually she will get to a point in her relationship to her husband where her loyalty to him and her children will override her loyalty to her parents and Gothardism.

Archived