IGNORED

Famteam University

0 kids n not countin

If any of them have asked someone out the woman was probably weirded out, but I doubt any of them have gotten that far, because it would be discussed to death with the family and I would like to bet Rick or Cathy shot it down pronto. All in the name of protecting them of course.

I suspect part of the daily 2 and 3 hour prayer meetings and individual drives and talks are very choreographed to keep people from dating at all. Dad learns on an individual drive that Sonny has eyes for a girl at the courthouse. Dad discusses his misgiving with Other Sonny(s) on another individual drive -- GOd has been making him feel uneasy about this particular girl-- please Other Sonny(s) pray about it too. Then during the big family prayer meeting, maybe after praying in tongues for a half hour, Dad or mom says she has amessage that god is worried about a friendship that Sonny One has at the courtyhouse. Pretty soon half the family has chimed in their concerns and that is the end of that.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect part of the daily 2 and 3 hour prayer meetings and individual drives and talks are very choreographed to keep people from dating at all. Dad learns on an individual drive that Sonny has eyes for a girl at the courthouse. Dad discusses his misgiving with Other Sonny(s) on another individual drive -- GOd has been making him feel uneasy about this particular girl-- please Other Sonny(s) pray about it too. Then during the big family prayer meeting, maybe after praying in tongues for a half hour, Dad or mom says she has amessage that god is worried about a friendship that Sonny One has at the courtyhouse. Pretty soon half the family has chimed in their concerns and that is the end of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly how it goes, daddy gets his trusting son to 'fess up and then it's a topic for the whole family to weigh in on.

I just wish the Arndt's lived near a Sonic [where Zack Bates found Whitney]. Break free Arndt boys--you CAN be MEN!!

I posted that video here on FJ. It was titled "Personal Connection" and it was very telling and an insight into the weird world of Arndt virgin thinking. It had over 400 views and was snarked on pretty heavy at the time. Somehow the video mysteriously disappeared from the famteam Youtube Channel. Wonder what happened?

Hi Rick :dance:

So, that's why I couldn't find it!

• 4 months later...

For the most part I can't see that the Arndt's have changed much since their TLC program many years ago. Their way of life was firmly entrenched then:court reporting, home church, "safe at home" baseball. Kathy looks the same. Whatever mind control they use it starts very early. Although they seem happy, it is bizarre to see seemingly normal adults living at home probably forever! :angry-banghead:

These people give me the creeps. It's not just that the kids live at home- and yes, I do think it's weird when adult children still live at home. But that they have no outside interests, friends, jobs, etc. is even more concerning. I know a lot of fundies who live at home until they are married but even SAHD's go visiting to friends houses or have some outside socialization.

I think the Arndt family gives me a vibe like the Heavens Gate cult- just a little too dedicated to some cause we don't even know about yet. The interesting thing will be if one (just 1) of the kids gets married or leaves- will that cause their parents to circle the wagons or will it be the start of the march of the penguins going straight out the front door?

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting, I've watched most of their you tube videos and Cathy jokes and asks with them often about girls and "finding the one". not to an excess, but it comes off as completely normal. Why haven't any of them dated??? I have a feeling dad is the one holding them back for some bizarre reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I have worked with people with ASD for close to 20 years now and have only encountered one family where all of the kids were on the spectrum (four in total). While it's certainly possible that one or some of the kids may be autistic, I think the odds of them all being so are little to none. I think major dysfunctional family dynamics and cult-like tactics are more to blame. And when I say major, I'm talking headline-making, documentaries and TV movies being made about them major. That family is FUBAR.

ITA. I've watched more Arndt videos this week than is healthy and I'm not seeing any of the kids on the spectrum.

Granted there is a wide range on the spectrum of both severity and issues - but nothing flags for me as spectrum related.

One of my adult sons is on the spectrum (PDD-NOS with severe CAPD and some co-morbid lds) and many of his friends over the years from school are somewhere on the spectrum (at different points) and I just don't see it with those guys. Their dry subtle humor, they are very sarcastic (in a good-natured way), they seem to pick up each others social cues easily, no apparent issues with eye contact or being animated on camera when telling a story, the comfort level with which they engage...not saying it's not there somewhere, but I haven't seen it.

The only one who does kind of ping possible spectrum to me (and I am in no way tossing out a diagnosis) is Rick. The intense focus/obsession with baseball and that stupid Vine thing, he seems to have some eye contact issues with the camera (but I'm not on the AS and I have major eye contact issues irl)...nothing at all definitive or even red flaggy...but more than I can see in anyone else.

My feeling is that there is a financial component to the men staying at home. Mum and Dad don't work, so these men must be financing the family. I don't know if they have a mortgage, but even mortgage free it would cost a lot to maintain a family of this size. If these men also subscribe to the 'must have a home and be able to finance a family prior to commitment' theory of life, it may account for no one leaving home as yet. It may be simply they can't afford to.

Archived