IGNORED

Crochet

Maggie Mae

I just finished another name doily.  This one's for a fellow volunteer who's moving away (to be closer to her grandkid). 

I really like these blocking mats - they're from the Crochet Dude, sold at Michaels, they're foam with grid lines to make blocking easier.  I do think they'd work better with a 1/2 inch grid instead of one-inch squares, and at least one of mine doesn't quite line up with the others.  But overall they're great for blocking doilies.

IMG_3367.JPG

On 3/3/2015 at 10:41 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I want to make an afghan. Does anyone know a good book for a beginner? How much yarn do I need? What are those hook things called? Where do I order yarn? Is one brand better than others?

For books, check your local library.  Ours has a fair selection of crochet, and a lot of knitting books.  There are usually some beginner-level books with lots of pictures.

Yarn and hooks can be found at most Walmarts, plus Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann Fabrics, and if you happen to have a local yarn store, too.  I'd start with a baby blanket, it's smaller and easier to manage, and probably suggest basic acrylic yarn - Red Heart, Bernat, etc. 

• 1 month later...

My mom has crocheted for years, and she finally sat me down with a book, a hook, and some yarn to practice the four basic stitches. It's an old book called 10 * 20 * 30 Minutes to Learn to Crochet by Leisure Arts, Inc., for anyone interested in learning in the future that sees this thread. I'm currently making my first blanket and just joined Ravelry to see what I can get from a site like that.

ETA: The book has diagrams for both left handed and right handed crochet. That's why she didn't just try to teach me herself - she's right handed and I'm left, so she didn't know if she'd be able to teach me. I think I had much more success with the book anyway.

Archived