IGNORED

Macho dude advertising

thoughtful

This is not really about MRAs, but this seemed like the most appropriate forum.

I have been rolling my eyes until they hurt at some obnoxious Be a Macho Man ads. I don't see a lot of TV ads, since I mostly watch TCM and am quick to hit the mute button, and often get up and go do something, when watching other stations and an ad comes on. And yet, these dumb things still managed to get under my skin.

Interestingly, when I went looking for a series of Chevy ads that annoy me, I found the long version, which includes all of the short ones, and a few less-obnoxious and more practical moments. It's still pretty stupid, though, and glorifies the image of a Manly Man With a Truck more than actual reasons to own a truck:

[bBvideo 560,340:256nwq6j]

[/bBvideo]

Then there's this idiocy. which I guess the ad creators thought was mocking other macho ads. But I think it ends up sending the message "don't let those other products tell you how to be a man -- only our product can do that!" :roll:

[bBvideo 560,340:256nwq6j]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veZtXsUMmIA[/bBvideo]

Of course macho ads are nothing new (see the compilation below, which I found when googling for the ads I was thinking about), and even the "we're not really macho, we're being ironic about being macho" ones are getting really old, but these are the current ones that have annoyed me.

[bBvideo 560,340:256nwq6j]

[/bBvideo]

It seems that anytime I sit down to watch cable, I see that truck ad. So many variations of it. :(

I absolutely hate it and I live in Texas where pickups are the norm.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truly epic.

But now my feet hurt -- just from watching it. How can anybody walk in those shoes?

It seems that anytime I sit down to watch cable, I see that truck ad. So many variations of it. :(

I absolutely hate it and I live in Texas where pickups are the norm.

Right -- I know lots of people, male and female, who have trucks, because, y'know . . . they need trucks.

I actually think the ads make "truck guy" sound like sort of an ass.

The worst macho dude advertising is for Dr. Pepper 10 (or whatever it's called).

TEN MANLY CALORIES. :wtf:

This isn't about MRAs, but to be fair, feminism gets plenty of guff but I hardly hear anyone besides myself making fun of MRAs.

Can't we just find the humor in every movement? Unhealthy extremes are hilarious (or else they would just be painful).

On that note, this post inspired me to drink some Dr Pepper. Thanks, thoughtful. [emoji14]

It's hard for me to believe that there are people who really fall for stuff like this, such as believing that driving a certain vehicle makes you more attractive to the opposite sex. :roll:

These ads aren't for "macho men", they are for insecure little boys who get more insecure about the stupid male beauty standards. How many brain cells does it take to just maintain a good personal hygiene, eat well, have a pleasant breath (and manners) and look for that ONE woman who will love his hairy ass, his bow legs, his pot belly, his receding hairline, his huge nose, his small or large built body, and since when is it mandatory to prey on every single woman out there? The ones that get sucked into these are low self esteem, self-hating little men with a presumably repulsive manner, trying to look cocky but shivering at the thought of a bunch of women chuckling at him.

Eri, I might be a sourpuss but I haven't found any humor in this at all. This is sad. Is this what big companies imagine all men to be? Is it because most men out there are really like this or is it because all the CEO-s are insecure little men who project their own vision onto every men out there?

Pairing grandads with tween girls? All men are not ever-humping jerks, most men I've known desired nothing but a good and stable marriage that would hopefully last forever. I'm seeing really old couples walking together EVERYWHERE here. These ads are ridiculous and shed a shameful light on men in general.

ETA that this particular macho came to mind while watching these ads:

tumblr_nhu4qf2Zvb1qjtxoeo1_250.jpg

Far as I remember, he'd been kicked in the nuts, punched in the stomach, slapped across, hit with various and sundry object, and the one thing that his machohood never earned him was a woman.

Archived