IGNORED

RIP Leonard Nimoy

LadyCrow1313

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

This seriously bums me out. I won't be able to see a ST movie again w/out being severly depressed.

And does it seem silly to be sad when a celebrity passes? Perhaps to some, but when one means a lot to you (for whatever the reason), it's ok to feel your feelings. No judgement.

RIP Leonard. You sure lived the LLAP philosophy.

Bits of my childhood are disappearing at an alarming rate. I remember watching Star Trek during its original run. I even remember the original commercials before it started airing. My dad and I used to watch together every week and I still have the melamine mug and bowl he bought for me as a surprise "just because" present. Good memories and I thank you for many them, Mr. Spock.

this is one of those things that you know will happen during your lifetime, but it's still hard when it happens.

llap, mr. spock.

Live long and prosper. He'll be missed.

My bit of religious Star Wars trivia for the day: Nimoy actually created the Vulcan salute, and based it on hand sign used in the Jewish priestly blessing. http://atlantajewishtimes.com/2013/08/l ... -blessing/

please tell me you did that intentionally, as tongue in cheek

Fixed it. :embarrassed: Yes, I know the difference, I was just typing quickly and not paying attention.

mwrrar :P

Live long and prosper. He'll be missed.

My bit of religious Star Trek trivia for the day: Nimoy actually created the Vulcan salute, and based it on hand sign used in the Jewish priestly blessing. http://atlantajewishtimes.com/2013/08/l ... -blessing/

I was going to post the same thing. There are several videos on Youtube where Leonard talks about his upbringing in a Jewish neighborhood in Boston and he both spoke and read Yiddish. Very early in his career, he was a student of Jeff Corey who had started teaching acting after being blacklisted.

There's much more here, of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Nimoy

LLAP, Mr Nimoy!

TV's first veggie character! This man was great and did so many cool compassionate things. I am not one to blindly revere people just because they have passed on--Nemoy was truly a great man. He will be sorely, sorely missed.

I'm a bit young to have any real memories of early Star Trek, but Leonard Nimoy basically acted (with great joy) as honorary grandfather to nerdy kids for the past 30+ years. I mourn his passing like I would a distant relative and will remember his kindness and love for others.

RIP He also invented the Vulcan death grip or nerve pinch. The late weather forecaster Bill Hall did a spoof some years ago with Snow Bird as 'Mr.Smock" on our local NBC station.

It seems like he really was a mensch.

I went to a talk and book signing he did for his 1995 book, and, when it was my turn to have my book signed, we had a moment. I hope I gave a little back in gratitude for the entertainment he'd given me over the years.

There was a very large number of people (this was in a theater, not a bookstore), and, even for the kindest and most fan-valuing celebrity, such events must be a repetitive blur. He was looking pretty weary.

I love Star Trek, but I also admire another of his projects, and wanted him to know. As he was signing my book, I said, "Thank you for Never Forget* -- it meant a lot to me."

His head whipped up, he smiled a huge smile, and said "You're welcome -- it meant a lot to me, too!"

:big-heart:

* http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102525/

Live long and prosper. I salute. :(

I once read a print interview Leonard Nimoy gave. He talked about one of his first roles in the theatre, which required he work on Saturday, much to his mother's disapproval. He had gone to visit her and she was sighing over the state of his life, as he was not yet married and did not have what she thought of as stable employment. When he asked her why she was always so dissatisfied with him, she scolded, "I am your MOTHER! If I don't speak the truth to you, who will? You want applause? You have the theatre."

I laughed out loud like a lunatic. I watched the original Trek in reruns, and Mr. Spock is still my favorite Trek character. RIP Mr. Nimoy.

I just read this afternoon that the Westboro Baptist Chuch loons wanted to picket his funeral. They were completely foiled by the Nimoy family following Jewish tradition and having the funeral two days after Leonard died. No wonder these fuckers couldn't find out the where and when of the funeral -it had already taken place!

I am so glad that they failed. Nobody, but nobody should have to put up with WBC.

I just read this afternoon that the Westboro Baptist Chuch loons wanted to picket his funeral. They were completely foiled by the Nimoy family following Jewish tradition and having the funeral two days after Leonard died. No wonder these fuckers couldn't find out the where and when of the funeral -it had already taken place!

I am so glad that they failed. Nobody, but nobody should have to put up with WBC.

oh to be a fly on the wall when they found out they were way too late :lol:

i'm convinced, though, that they just say they're going to do a bunch of shit they may or may not have any intention of doing, just to stir people up.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

This seriously bums me out. I won't be able to see a ST movie again w/out being severly depressed.

And does it seem silly to be sad when a celebrity passes? Perhaps to some, but when one means a lot to you (for whatever the reason), it's ok to feel your feelings. No judgement.

RIP Leonard. You sure lived the LLAP philosophy.

No, it's totally understandable. That person meant something to you. Not as much as if you'd known him personally, but still something. For LN, he was a part of many people's growing-up, and also a huge deal in the context of Star Trek's unique appeal - diversity, inclusion, weirdness, etc. Spock was in many ways the centre of that. His intelligence, his personality and his struggles were validating to so many. So no, it's not silly at all.

Archived