IGNORED

Who, if anyone, is good enough for Jana?

zz22zz

Whoever Jana Duggar really is, I hope that Harry the Nazi dresser isn't good enough for her.

Who the hell is this guy?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who the hell is this guy?

10 years ago, the Queen´s grandson, Prince Harry, dressed up as a "nazi soldier" (or whatever it was supposed to be) to a costume party.

edited to add: I don´t know right now if this is already a Godwin Point moment or not...

10 years ago, the Queen´s grandson, Prince Harry, dressed up as a "nazi soldier" (or whatever it was supposed to be) to a costume party.

edited to add: I don´t know right now if this is already a Godwin Point moment or not...

He was wearing a German desert uniform with the swastika arm band.

Anyways, it was poor judgement, but how many of us have made really stupid judgment calls when we were 20?

If he was still doing it now, that would be one thing. But, this was 10 years ago, when he still completely immature.

Oh, yes, you are right - just googled it! I only remembered that one SUN picture and thought a white button-down and a swastika armband was his whole costume (which wouldn´t be for the better anyway)

They apparently had a party theme too: "colonials and natives" - I say that whole party got certainly off the wrong foot...

Agree with your post.

I don't think that Jana or any of the other kids will marry someone without Jim Bob's approval. In order to do that, they would have to be in a position to meet someone outside of the lifestyle and develop a relationship. That is completely impossible because no one goes anywhere alone and they don't do any activity that is not family oriented. Plus, they have to be able to walk away from the family without financial or emotional support. I don't see an uneducated, unemployed Jana walking away to an uncertain future with a man her family doesnt approve of. That's asking a lot of someone who has lived her life controlled by get parents. I doubt that Jana or any of the kids, other than JD, have a bank account or access to any money of their own. What's sad is that I fully believe that Jim Bob and Michelle are going to tighten the reigns now and what tiny freedoms they had before will be taken away. I wouldn't be surprised of Jana has lost her access to the Internet password.

It's great to say we hope Jana finds a nice guy to take her away from this but what Jana really needs is a chance to learn to stand on her own two feet. What scares me about the fundy lifestyle is that these young women can go from a controlling father to a more controlling, potentially abusive, man and they will really then be stuck. They will have no where to run.

"

Anyways, it was poor judgement, but how many of us have made really stupid judgment calls when we were 20?

If he was still doing it now, that would be one thing. But, this was 10 years ago, when he still completely immature."

Sure, give the guy a pass. Harry the Nazi dresser and Josh the child molester both.

Are you guys seriously arguing over whether Jana Duggar should marry Prince Harry? Come on, at least Tim Tebow was a somewhat realistic prospect compared to this. :lol:

@singsingsing I ... I don´t know what we discussing anymore right now, but it shifted certainly to...

GODWIN POINT MOMENT

Okay, I´d throw in a new candidate:

Arnold Schwarzenegger´s son. He did break up with Miley, didn´t he?

"

If he was still doing it now, that would be one thing. But, this was 10 years ago, when he still completely immature."

Sure, give the guy a pass. Harry the Nazi dresser and Josh the child molester both.

Oh yes. Because wearing a costume that is in bad taste to a party that is in bad taste is totally the same thing as being a felon. Grow up.

@singsingsing I ... I don´t know what we discussing anymore right now, but it shifted certainly to...

GODWIN POINT MOMENT

Okay, I´d throw in a new candidate:

Arnold Schwarzenegger´s son. He did break up with Miley, didn´t he?

Unfortunately, Kirk Cameron is married and doesn't have any brothers, otherwise I would say that maybe there was something going on with the amount of time he spends with the Duggars...

But maybe a secret love affair?

That would be such a break with every thing that is the core of Duggars, no fundiedom! :lol:

Actually, maybe a unpopular opinion, but I could totally see Jana falling for a married man... and not necessaarily in the tragic way.

I agree with every word of this. There's nothing there with Jana. I'd like to think that her tv presence is deliberately nondescript and boring because she doesn't want the attention, but because of that I can't begin to guess what she's really like.

Jana seems pretty tender hearted, easily hurt, which is why I think she stays out of the spotlight. There is enough evidence from watching 19+ to see that she isn't very close to Jill, Jessa or Jinger. I surmise that in that particular high school situation, the other girls don't have much time for Jana.

I do imagine that Jana is particularly close to Michelle after the latest show of support. No one else seems to stick up for Michelle except for Josh and Jana. Jill adores her dad and Jackson. JD has a hidden independent life with what I hope are outside friendships. Jessa and Jinger live in their own bronzer and eye shadow universe and where atheists do not exist (if anyone gets a heap of assumptions made about them around here, it's Jinger, not Jana.) Joseph is probably making his escape.

Michelle doesn't have great friendships with her kids from what I've seen. She's trying to get Joy Anna up to speed, as best helper, but no interest or affection is ever expressed there. One reason I think Jana stays at home is because she truly loves her mother and might be her only confidant.

Unfortunately, Kirk Cameron is married and doesn't have any brothers, otherwise I would say that maybe there was something going on with the amount of time he spends with the Duggars...

I think the Schwarzeneggers are Catholic, so that won't work.

Kirk Cameron has older kids that might be available at some point, but I don't think they're grown yet. Okay I looked it up and Jack is 19. There are a couple of younger boys, too.

And if Prince Charles ascends to the throne, the Church of England will have its first divorced Supreme Governor.

First divorced Supreme Governor? What about Henry the 8th? He divorced by the guilloutine.

And because Diana is no longer living, Charles was no longer really divorced when he married, but widowed.

He was wearing a German desert uniform with the swastika arm band.

If he was still doing it now, that would be one thing. But, this was 10 years ago, when he still completely immature.

That sounds like the "hey Josh was just a 15 year old when he molested those girls, we all have bad things in our past" situation, but one where yes, dressing like a Nazi actually WAS a stupid young adult mistake. I highly doubt he IS a Nazi in any way.

It was a bad mistake, and I can forgive it... I just kind of think 20 is a little old for that particular mistake... 20 year olds are wild cards, and a lot of them are very mature. And definitely old enough to do better. It's still young... But not quite young enough for a pass... But enough that I can accept that he made a mistake that, ultimately, hurt no one and he probably knows better now.

It was a bad mistake, and I can forgive it... I just kind of think 20 is a little old for that particular mistake... 20 year olds are wild cards, and a lot of them are very mature. And definitely old enough to do better. It's still young... But not quite young enough for a pass... But enough that I can accept that he made a mistake that, ultimately, hurt no one and he probably knows better now.

The male brain doesn't stop maturing until about 25 years old. The last area of the brain to mature is the part of the brain that controls your judgement.

That said, I know PLENTY of guys AND girls that were that immature or worse at 20. Hell, look how many people attempt 21 shots on their 21st birthday. That immediately trumps any poor costume choice.

Jana seems pretty tender hearted, easily hurt, which is why I think she stays out of the spotlight. There is enough evidence from watching 19+ to see that she isn't very close to Jill, Jessa or Jinger. I surmise that in that particular high school situation, the other girls don't have much time for Jana.

I do imagine that Jana is particularly close to Michelle after the latest show of support. No one else seems to stick up for Michelle except for Josh and Jana. Jill adores her dad and Jackson. JD has a hidden independent life with what I hope are outside friendships. Jessa and Jinger live in their own bronzer and eye shadow universe and where atheists do not exist (if anyone gets a heap of assumptions made about them around here, it's Jinger, not Jana.) Joseph is probably making his escape.

Michelle doesn't have great friendships with her kids from what I've seen. She's trying to get Joy Anna up to speed, as best helper, but no interest or affection is ever expressed there. One reason I think Jana stays at home is because she truly loves her mother and might be her only confidant.

Or maybe Jana doesn't seem particularly close to her sisters because she's a closet bitch. Maybe she isn't courting because whenever the camera is off she's busy getting the little kids to bring her Bon bons and paint her nails - and she doesn't want to give up her life of leisure. Maybe the Tinkertoy house is extra miserable right now because they have to deal not only with the Josh fall - out - but because they are stuck at home walking on eggshells to avoid dictatorial Jana's wrath.

Could be. We really don't know. :twisted:

Henry the 8th was indeed the first divorced head of the Anglican Church (Church of England). He divorced twice, had two of his wives executed, one died, and the one that "survived" was arrested and interrogated at one stage with the potential aim of getting rid of her for being too Lutheran/Reformed. He sure went through them! So Prince Charles will not be the first divorced head of the Anglican Church.

R.e. the Prince Harry thing, one of my friends went to the same uni, and went to several of the same parties. Apparently the whole point is to wear the most obnoxious costume you can - he said that P.H.'s wasn't anywhere near as controversial as some of the others - one he has particular respect for was an aborted fetus, done rather graphically.

Not that it's a smart idea to dress up as a Nazi when you're in the line for the English throne. It was bound to be photographed, and he should have realised that.

Henry the 8th was indeed the first divorced head of the Anglican Church (Church of England). He divorced twice, had two of his wives executed, one died, and the one that "survived" was arrested and interrogated at one stage with the potential aim of getting rid of her for being too Lutheran/Reformed. He sure went through them! So Prince Charles will not be the first divorced head of the Anglican Church.

R.e. the Prince Harry thing, one of my friends went to the same uni, and went to several of the same parties. Apparently the whole point is to wear the most obnoxious costume you can - he said that P.H.'s wasn't anywhere near as controversial as some of the others - one he has particular respect for was an aborted fetus, done rather graphically.

Not that it's a smart idea to dress up as a Nazi when you're in the line for the English throne. It was bound to be photographed, and he should have realised that.

Completely Off Topic:

I've read quite a bit about the Tudors - specifically Henry VIII. It was my understanding that Catherine Parr wasn't actually arrested or really interrogated. A document for her arrest was apparently signed and found by one of her servants. When she found out she went into hysterics and was seen by Henry's personal Doctor because he was concerned about her. Someone (possibly the Doctor) advised her to immediately become a meek and obedient wife to save herself - she did and Henry decided against having her arrested or interrogated.

(And if I remember correctly, didn't Henry annul more than two marriages? I was pretty sure he annulled his marriage to Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard before they were executed, but I could be wrong)

As for the last part, I agree. Harry showed poor judgement in that instance. Same with the whole partying naked in Vegas thing. People attempting to compare him to Josh Duggar are kind of making me roll my eyes right now. A really bad choice of costume is not nearly the same as sexually abusing children or incest.

Or maybe Jana doesn't seem particularly close to her sisters because she's a closet bitch. Maybe she isn't courting because whenever the camera is off she's busy getting the little kids to bring her Bon bons and paint her nails - and she doesn't want to give up her life of leisure. Maybe the Tinkertoy house is extra miserable right now because they have to deal not only with the Josh fall - out - but because they are stuck at home walking on eggshells to avoid dictatorial Jana's wrath.

Could be. We really don't know. :twisted:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I've never been able to understand why people are able to form such firm opinions about these kids given the fact that we really don't see much of their lives. I really don't have much doubt about the fact that all the kids hold the same disgusting beliefs and I really don't think any of them want to escape.

My personal theory is that people who hate watched the show just wanted someone to cheer for. Jana, Jinger, Josiah, Joy, and the younger girls (not counting Josie) were easy to cheer for at first for a variety of reasons: some weren't comfortable on camera, some made funny faces, others joked about their beliefs the tiniest bit, and others seemed forgotten by their parents. At the end of the day though, no one outside their cult really knows what they're like.

I've never been able to understand why people are able to form such firm opinions about these kids given the fact that we really don't see much of their lives. I really don't have much doubt about the fact that all the kids hold the same disgusting beliefs and I really don't think any of them want to escape.

My personal theory is that people who hate watched the show just wanted someone to cheer for. Jana, Jinger, Josiah, Joy, and the younger girls (not counting Josie) were easy to cheer for at first for a variety of reasons: some weren't comfortable on camera, some made funny faces, others joked about their beliefs the tiniest bit, and others seemed forgotten by their parents. At the end of the day though, no one outside their cult really knows what they're like.

I think that explains it for me. :sigh2:

I'm foolishly still cheering for Jessa.

I think that explains it for me. :sigh2:

I'm foolishly still cheering for Jessa.

Lol! I think a good number of people have a kid that they secretly cheer for. Thinking about it, I can see why people do that. You watch these kids grow up for ten or so years - its tough for people not to become attached to one or two of the kids. Jana seems easy enough to like because she's pretty, doesn't seek out the spotlight, and is on the quieter side (compared to Jill and Jessa). . . but that doesn't mean what we see of her (or the other kids) on the show is accurate. I think people just want someone to cheer for so badly that they'll overlook some aspects - like the very real possibility that Jana and all the other kids are just as Fundie as their parents.

I'm always amazed, though I do it too, by how many personality traits we imbue into these people that we only see brief images on a tv show. For example Cathy how many posts out there about how she won't put up with her grandson being raised this way or that way. Where did people get that from?

The kids are cute now and fun to insert personalities into, but when they get older and are allowed to have Instagrams, I fear many people here will be way disappointed.

I'm always amazed, though I do it too, by how many personality traits we imbue into these people that we only see brief images on a tv show. For example Cathy how many posts out there about how she won't put up with her grandson being raised this way or that way. Where did people get that from?

The kids are cute now and fun to insert personalities into, but when they get older and are allowed to have Instagrams, I fear many people here will be way disappointed.

I agree. I wish that everyone here was right - that Jana is the biggest sweetheart ever, that Josiah secretly wants to go to college, that Jinger will get to New York, that Jill will move to Nepal and break free. . . but the odds aren't on our side unfortunately.

Are there good aspects to their personalities? Absolutely! I would never argue against that. Everyone has good qualities to them and the Duggar family is no different - they're Fundie assholes, but they're still human beings and human beings are complicated.

Another possibility I see in all this, is that the line between reality and fiction is so blurred when it comes to reality television. Its almost like people view the Duggars as characters on a tv show or in a book - I know that I get pretty emotionally invested in characters from literature at times (I seriously cried for about half of the seventh Harry Potter book - because rock falls, everyone dies!)

Archived