IGNORED

Abigail and Bethany Baptized

nelliebelle1197

I don't believe the girls chose to be baptized. They were coached and coaxed towards it from the second they were born. When they know nothing other than ACCEPT JESUS OR GO TO HELL, of course their little brains are gonna' go the way they're told and do what they have no other choice but TO do.

A Sunday school teacher at an SBC church once told me that they don't baptize children until they are old enough to understand what it's about. Typically, the kids are about twelve years old, although they have baptized kids as young as ten. Children frequently get "saved" (i.e. accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior) at a young age. But not baptized.

I wonder if any of the extended family on Melanie's side were there?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree!!

I also agree. Those girls did not choose this but the family clearly wants us all to think they did. It's like they think having a baptized pre-schooler makes them more Godly or something.

A and B aren't young ladies, they're little girls for Pete's sake! That other little girl looks familiar, I think she's been at one of the dog and pony shows. And B looked like she didn't want to do it.

A and B aren't young ladies, they're little girls for Pete's sake! That other little girl looks familiar, I think she's been at one of the dog and pony shows. And B looked like she didn't want to do it.

I think that little girl is the one that has been pictured several time on the blog. She was pictured by the older woman who came to the nursing home for church,(died while they were on one of their trips) can't remember her name but she was really upset when the woman died.

I also agree. Those girls did not choose this but the family clearly wants us all to think they did. It's like they think having a baptized pre-schooler makes them more Godly or something.

Agree!! A & B don't have a choice, they probably got a guilt trip from Steve about them not being saved, and he probably has drilled it into them since they could talk.

That is really young. At the Adventist churches I went to (I know, apples to oranges) the range was 10-13, and I still think that's too young. (Especially since that makes you an official church member.)

One of my friends got dunked at age 8 or 9, but she was the exception, not the rule. Most kids I knew were at least ten.

No pastor I've ever met would baptize a 6 year old, if for no other reason than that they wouldn't be tall enouh to stand up In a full baptistery.

Btw, I love "Dad and the dads had a little meeting..." Dad and the dads sounds like a geezer classic rock group or something.

It sounds like a gay parenting group :D

Joe still sings in the family band? No leave and cleave there. And I think Elissa is pg. I noticed the pics she was in you could only see her from the back. She may be sporting a baby bump now.

Though they believe in infant baptism, heathen Catholics consider 7 the very beginning of the age of reason, but not considerd binding.

The early baptism doesn't really bug me. I'm a heathen who was baptized as an infant in the Methodist Church, and then again at 11 by the Presbyterians that I fell in with thanks to tantalizing Youth Group trips. I had absolutely no clue what either baptism was really about while it was going on. Obviously, the choice was made for me the first time. Even at the second dunk, I only saw it as a gesture.

The girls definitely don't understand what this means, but that's okay since even the adults don't know what the hell is going on at the United Church of Steve. The part that I found really interesting was the gap between this baptism event and Bethany's profession of faith. Sarah said it was "lat Fall." If that's the case, then my guess is that they borrowed this church for the day to take care of a multitude of religious family business. From the limited pictures of the inside, it appears to be connected by a large hallway to another structure. I think it's the "service chapel" of whatever nursing home they are currently harassing. The interior of the chapel certainly didn't have any of the usual vestments of faith that one would expect to see in a church of a specific denomination.

The after-baptism meal was a shabby little gesture to follow what was supposed to be an important occasion. Considering the pomp and circumstance that goes into the annual Christmas "cookie tea" with the neighbors, the fast food was even more odd by comparison. My only guess is that, since the baptisms weren't about Steve, the event wasn't worth treating with any level of dignity.

Agree!!

I agree too!

And why is Melanie not pictured with the girls?

I'm not getting the dislike for the after baptism dinner. But I grew up Baptist. This kind of after church 'fellowship' was typical. I've never been to a formal baptism dinner. Maybe they let the girls pick where they would like to go?

I've never seen Baptists throw a party for a baptism. Perhaps some do, but going for ice cream for young children would seem normal. Although the girls are definitely young. The fundie neighbors were around 12 or possibly older. They went out to eat to something the equivalent of a Rubio's IIRC.

I spent my whole life (well til the age of 25) in a baptist church and I've never known anyone to do a fancy anything for a baptism. Usually the pastor will perform the baptism with the father (if it's a young person) or a friend (for adults) on the other side.

We had a baptismal font, and then everyone decided it was more spiritual to use the creek at the back of the church, until one of the pastors stood on a stone fish and ended up in hospital. Gods will, I suppose.... :roll:

In law children are all some variation of baptist each more fringe than the last and each oh them have been baptised by 6..... because they all got saved on their own since infant baptism is evil and meanigless but a 4 year old can make a true choice....... :?

I don't believe the girls chose to be baptized. They were coached and coaxed towards it from the second they were born. When they know nothing other than ACCEPT JESUS OR GO TO HELL, of course their little brains are gonna' go the way they're told and do what they have no other choice but TO do.

I was around their age when I was "saved" and decided I wanted to be baptized. I was choosing it out of fear and because that was the only option I knew. When you are raised from birth with the threat of hell hanging over your head of course you "choose" to be "saved". Most of the people I grew up with were saved and baptized very young.

Yeah, I have never heard of a fancy baptismal dinner either. I don't even recall a special ice cream for anyone.

My fault on the ice cream, when I first looked at the pictures I thought that packaging was an ice cream. Yeah, I see it's fries....I'm pleading post surgical drugs. :embarrassed:

My Orthodox/Catholic slip is obviously showing. In those cultures baptism, even if it is the heathen, idolatrous, infant kind, is grounds for a special get together or party involving food. It's a big religious milestone and treated as such. Taking the kid for fast food would be considered an insult to the dignity of the occasion. Different strokes for different folks.

My fault on the ice cream, when I first looked at the pictures I thought that packaging was an ice cream. Yeah, I see it's fries....I'm pleading post surgical drugs. :embarrassed:

My Orthodox/Catholic slip is obviously showing. In those cultures baptism, even if it is the heathen, idolatrous, infant kind, is grounds for a special get together or party involving food. It's a big religious milestone and treated as such. Taking the kid for fast food would be considered an insult to the dignity of the occasion. Different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, we had a party (at home) after having our kids baptized as infants. It's a great excuse for a party and showing off the baby, who is usually dressed up, to family and friends all at once.

Is that the back of John's head in the pic of Steve-o preaching and the others singing? If so, why isn't he singing also?

ETA: I just realized that John is in other pictures from the front. So he was definitely there but didn't sing. I wonder why. Maybe he's been too busy courting to practice with the fam...

Interesting. I think they borrowed the church for the baptism. I think Melanie's parents were there--looks like they are seen in a few of the photos.

:text-imnewhere:

Is the older couple at the large table with the grandkids (and Nathan standing up) Melanie's parents?

It just occurred to me, I didn't notice Christopher and NR-Anna in the pics, or did I miss them?

Welcome dlw!

I was around their age when I was "saved" and decided I wanted to be baptized. I was choosing it out of fear and because that was the only option I knew. When you are raised from birth with the threat of hell hanging over your head of course you "choose" to be "saved". Most of the people I grew up with were saved and baptized very young.

Me too. I was 5 years old when I was "saved" from the pits of hell. A year later, I was baptized and became a member of our church. Of course it was my decision.

ETA: Screw you, Steve. You cannot even mention that Mel's parents came? How about a nice picture of them with their granddaughters and saying how nice it was that they traveled from wherever for this special occasion?

Maybe Anna and Christopher are nesting at home. I kind of hope that it bothers Stevehovah that they would not make a trip to church because they would rather take it easy because Weeble #3 is due soon.

Welcome, dlw.

Is the older couple at the large table with the grandkids (and Nathan standing up) Melanie's parents?

It just occurred to me, I didn't notice Christopher and NR-Anna in the pics, or did I miss them?

Welcome dlw!

Thanks! I've actually been reading here for along time, just don't really post!

I think her parents are actually the couple sitting with Steve at the table in the last photo. They are also in some of the shots of the church and one of the fellowship pictures (her mom). I think they are a nice looking couple and their family seems so much more mainstream, fun and lively, while still being devout Christians.

Break through? I think Mary and Anna are wearing skirts that show a little bit of ankle!

Going in the other direction - perhaps baptizing older girls might reveal too much shape when they are presented dripping wet to the congregation.

Archived