IGNORED

Abigail and Bethany Baptized

nelliebelle1197

Like an actual church. With people who are not The Elderly. It's in a building with pews and a baptismal. I thought they left church for the nursing home "ministry". And Steve is the pastor?!

Oh yeah, A & B got baptized and ate fast food. The Reversals tortured people with song.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the "about us" page on their website: "The Maxwells attend a multi-generational, family-integrated church Families for Jesus Fellowship in Lansing, Kansas (outside of Kansas City)." However, the link for their church just goes to some page about their nursing home church.

titus2.com/ffj.html

That church in their latest post did not appear to be in a nursing home. What's going on, Maxwells?

Hasn't their nursing home "church" been in three different nursing homes now? I know that at least one other family worships with them. Maybe this is the daughter from that family and they "borrowed" another church so they could use the baptismal font?

I am SO CONFUSED by the baptism post today and the *REAL* church with other people, including a child that was baptized with A & B. *mind blown*

Colour me baffled too. I don't ever remember hearing Steve or any Maxwell write about a church other than their nursing home one. Something new?

I wonder if they "borrowed" the church building just for the baptisms. There isn't likely to be a baptismal at their "nursing home church," so maybe Steve contacted the pastor at a church he deemed acceptable and asked to use their facilities.

I'm always concerned when such young children are baptized. How old are Abigail and Bethany? Six and Four? That seems very young, in my opinion, to grasp the concept of repentance, sin, consequences, etc. I doubt they even understand the meaning of the scriptures the family reads to them on this topic.

If so, that is good news. The girls will have a chance to meet a potential husband this side of 80. Or at the very least make some girl friends.

Where are you seeing this? The latest blog post I'm seeing is from yesterday about NR Anna.

Refressssshhhh. :D

blog.titus2.com/2015/02/25/all-things-new/

I am really confounded by this. I know there were some other families helping with The Elderly Ministry. Maybe this is that group? Or maybe they have been part of a Berean-type VF styled church where there are no real pastors this whole time. Again, there is more going on here than they tell us on their blogotisement.

I agree with the posters who suggest this is probably a "borrowed" church.

If this was a church the Maxwells belonged to I imagine the pastor would have done the baptism, and any preaching as well, rather than Steve, Nathan and the other dad.

Btw, I love "Dad and the dads had a little meeting..." Dad and the dads sounds like a geezer classic rock group or something.

Of course, Mom and the moms are not involved at all, as usual. :(

ETA: Ya know, Sarah can bore us to tears with some of her mundane but detailed blog posts. But, when you want more information she doesn't give it.

+ 1 on borrowing/renting a church for the baptisms.

The Church of Steve does - or did - have a couple of other families sharing the "ministry to the elderly." They call it "Families for Jesus Fellowship" and the address given for the church is Twin Oaks Assisted Living, Lansing KS. familiesforjesus.com/salvation/tract.php

I am SO CONFUSED by the baptism post today and the *REAL* church with other people, including a child that was baptized with A & B. *mind blown*

I'm confused also.

I agree with the posters who suggest this is probably a "borrowed" church.

If this was a church the Maxwells belonged to I imagine the pastor would have done the baptism, and any preaching as well, rather than Steve, Nathan and the other dad.

Btw, I love "Dad and the dads had a little meeting..." Dad and the dads sounds like a geezer classic rock group or something.

Of course, Mom and the moms are not involved at all, as usual. :(

ETA: Ya know, Sarah can bore us to tears with some of her mundane but detailed blog posts. But, when you want more information she doesn't give it.

I've heard of mainstream conservative churches who will let dad's (but not moms!) baptize their own children or a grandchild.

Yeah, count me in for "rented" the church as there is no way to baptize at the Holy Church of The Elderly. Or maybe Nathan's family belongs to a church and that is his church. He did get out before Steve went full on crazy and Melanie probably went to a real church.

Mystery on the third girl though. Maybe some nearby Maxwell leghumping family?

I've heard of mainstream conservative churches who will let dad's (but not moms!) baptize their own children or a grandchild.

The idolatry they turn biological fatherhood into never ceases to blow my mind. Never. So dad becomes each family's defacto priest and confessor, with the supposed wisdom to decide who is ready for baptism and who isn't. Unbelievable.

And now, for the really bitchy part of this post. Baptism is the biggest theological milestone in this subset of Christianity, and they go out for ice cream? Come on. Cheap bastards. We have done baptismal parties at restaurants, and baptismal parties at home, but regardless of where they are, you put in your best effort. At home that means your Easter dishes, your silver, your linen, your very best in terms of what you can afford for food. The restaurant cannot be Arby's. It's supposed to be special. If you are tight on money you invite only immediate family, but you make it as special as possible. The Maxwells can afford better, and they still took those girls out for a scoop of ice cream to celebrate a huge religious milestone. They are such sterile, joyless people. :disgust:

The idolatry they turn biological fatherhood into never ceases to blow my mind. Never. So dad becomes each family's defacto priest and confessor, with the supposed wisdom to decide who is ready for baptism and who isn't. Unbelievable.

And now, for the really bitchy part of this post. Baptism is the biggest theological milestone in this subset of Christianity, and they go out for ice cream? Come on. Cheap bastards. We have done baptismal parties at restaurants, and baptismal parties at home, but regardless of where they are, you put in your best effort. At home that means your Easter dishes, your silver, your linen, your very best in terms of what you can afford for food. The restaurant cannot be Arby's. It's supposed to be special. If you are tight on money you invite only immediate family, but you make it as special as possible. The Maxwells can afford better, and they still took those girls out for a scoop of ice cream to celebrate a huge religious milestone. They are such sterile, joyless people. :disgust:

Yeah, the fast food restaurant celebration made me scratch my head too given the importance of this event in their brand of Christianity. I worked in a banquet hall that did a sit down buffet on Sundays. This was in area where most of the Christens were heathens that did infant baptisms. Though we didn't have a lot a baptism celebrations (though I can remember a few) during first Communion and Confirmation seasons, we pretty much had non-stop reservations. At first I thought, maybe they let Abigale and Bethany pick the restaurant, then I remembered, I Maxwell land children are not allowed to make decisions for themselves.....

Yeah, the fast food restaurant celebration made me scratch my head too given the importance of this event in their brand of Christianity. I worked in a banquet hall that did a sit down buffet on Sundays. This was in area where most of the Christens were heathens that did infant baptisms. Though we didn't have a lot a baptism celebrations (though I can remember a few) during first Communion and Confirmation seasons, we pretty much had non-stop reservations. At first I thought, maybe they let Abigale and Bethany pick the restaurant, then I remembered, I Maxwell land children are not allowed to make decisions for themselves.....

Except when it comes to reading and comprehending scripture. Then they can be trusted to make huge decisions like "giving their hearts to Jesus," and being ready for baptism. :roll:

Yeah, count me in for "rented" the church as there is no way to baptize at the Holy Church of The Elderly. Or maybe Nathan's family belongs to a church and that is his church. He did get out before Steve went full on crazy and Melanie probably went to a real church.

Mystery on the third girl though. Maybe some nearby Maxwell leghumping family?

IIRC, the Maxwells used to attend the same church as Melanie's family. That's how they met. Maybe Melanie's family still goes there?

These girls are 4 & 6. Isn't that awful young for a believer's baptism????

I personally think it's extremely young. A four-year-old probably can't even read the Bible and neither of them can comprehend scripture, in my opinion.

If you're going to leave it to the child to make the choice, as opposed to infant baptism, it seems to me it's better to make sure they are old enough to comprehend what they are doing.

As much as these fundies like to liken child-like behavior to sin, can you imagine how often that word is tossed around AFTER they are baptized?

I don't believe the girls chose to be baptized. They were coached and coaxed towards it from the second they were born. When they know nothing other than ACCEPT JESUS OR GO TO HELL, of course their little brains are gonna' go the way they're told and do what they have no other choice but TO do.

I definitely think they "borrowed" a church. At the end of the post, he talks about getting frozen custard and enjoying "fellowshipping" for the rest of the evening. That makes me think they borrowed a church for the evening. Since most churches only have evening services on Wednesday and Saturday, they were probably able to "borrow" it on an off-night.

I don't believe the girls chose to be baptized. They were coached and coaxed towards it from the second they were born. When they know nothing other than ACCEPT JESUS OR GO TO HELL, of course their little brains are gonna' go the way they're told and do what they have no other choice but TO do.

Agree!!

If so, that is good news. The girls will have a chance to meet a potential husband this side of 80. Or at the very least make some girl friends.

I am so with you FundieWatcher!! I had so much hope, especially Sarah. It is looking as if my hope is misplaced.

Free Sarah

Archived