IGNORED

Arranged marriages fundie style.

Lillybee

She lives in AR, they're still in Cali. Grandfather is the leader/minister of the church. I don't know the elder structure of that particular congregation. Each chooses their own. There is no central body or denomination to answer to so individual churches that go fundy can go way off the path.

My connection is through her husband and trying to help her navigate when they were dating.

I'm glad you helped her.

Don't give Jim Bob any ideas! Next thing you know he'll be setting this up and making more money off stupid people who think that way of life is so quaint and moral.

This article was on Addicted Info: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/02/23 ... s-damaged/

Christian Homeschoolers Sell Daughter Into Arranged Marriage, Offer Discount Because She’s ‘Damaged’ by JAMESON PARKER FEBRUARY 23, 2015 7:38 PM

The gist of the article is that Jennyfer Austin was adopted into a fundamentalist Christian home that sounds an awful lot like the Duggars...very isolated from the rest of the world, homeschool, strict rules about courtship and clothing,

"Austin’s description of life in her home sounds like something out of Saudi Arabia, not California:

‘Dating was a complete no-no. I might be able to have a parent-approved courtship and go places in public, but I couldn’t possibly do something like hold hands with a boy.’

She was forced to wear long skirts and blouses with high necklines and long sleeves. If she chose a skirt which went to mid-calf, she would have to put on knee-length boots so no leg was shown.

‘Even my swimsuit went down to my knees and had sleeves,’ she recalled. ‘I wasn’t allowed to shave. My grandfather felt that any part such as my legs that needed to be shaved should not be shown off in public.’

Most appallingly, at the age of 20, Austin was told by her parents that she had been “sold†to a man twice her age, a situation that Austin and others like her say is disturbingly commonplace. She says her parents’ asking price for her was $25,000, a fee that was much smaller than the average (around $50,000), because due to her being molested as a child she was considered within her Christian community to be “damaged goods.â€

Thankfully, Austin managed to escape from her appalling life, which was, to be frank, little more than an imprisonment. Escaping was nonetheless difficult. After refusing to marry the man her parents were paid to deliver her to, her mother said Austin owed the would-be husband a refund of his $25,000 down payment. Instead, she fled."

Now married (to a man of her choosing), she no longer identifies as a Christian Apparently forced marriages, like the above, are quite common ...

"According to a report by the AHA Foundation, a group which focuses on protecting the rights of women, America is home to a large number of forced marriages. Concrete numbers are hard to come by given the secretive nature in which they take place, but the group identified as many as 3,000 cases in just the last two years. Many of the cases involve immigrants who maintain the customs from their home country, however there is anecdotal evidence to suggest the fundamentalist Christian movement is also implicated"

Has anyone heard of such forced marriages happening before in the Fundy community? Or a man paying a family for their daughter?

Sadly there are families out there who make the Duggars look like the most liberal people in the world. Familes who live off grid, no education but the Bible, no traditional medicine, self-sufficiency the goal. Isolate rural "homesteads" . The Duggars are "mainstream" compared to many in the ultra right. There are families who would scare you to death.

This guy posts frequently on the Theonomist Reconstructionist site on facebook

truelovedoesntwait.com/announcements/the-story-of-the-betrothal-of-joshua-and-laura-ohlman/

His blog is

True Love Doesn't Wait.

the link above takes you to the story of the betrothal of his son and his daughter in law that went like this

Dads email, never having known one another.

Dads talk and think mostly ok, but problems with credo-baptist vs paedo-baptists. Over time this was discussed with the Dads and eventually with the son. Letters were written, with the son not being told who he was writing to, on his beliefs. Rings were bought, and a trip made to meet the families, give the rings and become betrothed Up til then, the daughter was not involved in any conversation with the other family... but then she met her husband to be and was betrothed, which is, as far as these people are concerned, the same as married just no sex yet, all within the same hour.

Yay dads. Happily ever after... because God.

Meanwhile, even after the son marries, this guy thinks his son should obey him... the father.

truelovedoesntwait.com/authority-of-the-father-historical-commentaries/

I will say, he hasn't got a ton of traction, however, I can see this happening more than we hear(didn't that girl in Oklahoma who married the much older guy have something similar?)

Anyway, it is creepy as hell and appears to leave the bride out of the process and the groom out of most of it.

The trouble with that guy's attitude about fathers still having authority is that even if there's only one verse in the Bible, it's still in there. So surely, if he believes the Bible is the word of God, he has to try and follow it because all of it is inspired; or he's a hypocrite who's making it up as he goes along. I know there are different interpretations of different parts of the Bible, but it infuriates me when people say they believe it's the word of God but then dismiss what they don't like by saying there's only one verse on it so it doesn't matter.

Archived