IGNORED

Phantom Bible Verses

roddma

How many 'phantom' verses can you think of that are not real Bible verses but quotes or misinterpreted verses? "God helps them who helps themselves' was said by Ben Franklin. They sound Biblical,. but they are not.

How many 'phantom' verses can you think of that are not real Bible verses but quotes or misinterpreted verses? "God helps them who helps themselves' was said by Ben Franklin. They sound Biblical,. but they are not.

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

Fundies use that as a super Biblical thing and the word of God telling us we should beat the shit out of our babies, but it is from a poem, that actually has more in common with 50 Shades of Grey than the Bible.

God will never give you more than you can handle. First off...this is BULLSHIT. Second it's a misinterpretation of a verse in 1 Corinthians dealing with temptation.

Just had this argument with someone in my bible study group.

Hate the sin love the sinner.

This one always gets me. So pretentious and high and mighty. They practically hate everyone, why waste breath on pretending otherwise?

Hate the sin love the sinner.

This one, at least, doesn't have to be bad. The Duggars take it to the extreme of hating people and claiming that's love. When I was a kid, it meant that you don't have to approve of everything someone does, but love them anyway.

X makes Baby Jesus cry.

In my delightful birth country, girls and women were not allowed to whistle. It is and was viewed and disgusting. When a female person was caught whistling, everyone, including peers, parent, relatives and teachers rolled their eyes and said: A girl whistling makes the Virgin Mary weep. :ew:

girls and women were not allowed to whistle
I grew up in Nova Scotia ( still here) and I remember my g'mother getting after me about whistling. " Whistling girls and crowing hens are neither fit for God nor men."

So Spare the Rod Spoil the child is actually from Proverbs 13:24 and REALLY says

He that spares his rod hates his son: but he that loves him chastens him early.

I had someone tell me "Spare the Rod spoil the child!" when I told them I wasn't going to be spanking my dAughter. This womans daughter is my daughters Godmother, and neither of them would spank my daughter without my permission (I don't even think they would WITH my permission to be honest) and I don't even think the daughter believes in spanking, but anyway, I told her I believed there were other ways of disclipling your child and that was the end of that.

I grew up in Nova Scotia ( still here) and I remember my g'mother getting after me about whistling. " Whistling girls and crowing hens are neither fit for God nor men."

I I heard it from the nuns as "Whistling girls and crowing hens, always come to some bad ends."

My grandmother told me that the rod was what shelherds used to guide their flocks. They steered the animals, gently and not with violence.

So the spare the rod verse, according to her, has always been vasy misinterpreted. You are supposed to guide your children and chasten them gently not with violence.

At least according to my gramma, who admittedly is a liberal Unitarian Universalist.

So Spare the Rod Spoil the child is actually from Proverbs 13:24 and REALLY says

He that spares his rod hates his son: but he that loves him chastens him early.

But that is the error people make -- thinking that the exact phrase "spare the rod, spoil the child" is in the Bible, because there are some similar verses.

The quote is from Samuel Butler's poem Hudibras, and is part of a section of the poem in which whipping and spanking are discussed in a clearly sexual context. "The child," in this case, is Eros, Cupid.

Sorry if I sound pedantic -- this one just tickles my "if you only knew what you were quoting" funnybone when people use it, so it sticks in my mind, and I love to explain it.

More info here:

http://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2010/11/ ... ot-in.html

There is one about play cards are the devil's bible...

Also, as someone who comes from a superstitious background, they LOVE to mix godliness and superstitions and quote them with an anointed tone of voice, like it's something from the Bible.

Spare the rod...

My grandmother told me that the rod was what shelherds used to guide their flocks. They steered the animals, gently and not with violence.
Yes! Also, rod is/was a measurement. Rules, regulations, and morals are 'measures' in each household. Children were/are expected to 'measure up.' So, if you spare or avoid rules, then your child is spoiled.

So the spare the rod verse, according to her, has always been vasy misinterpreted. You are supposed to guide your children and chasten them gently not with violence.

At least according to my gramma, who admittedly is a liberal Unitarian Universalist.

I first read of that interpretation in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, quoting LLL Leader Marian Blackshear who was a pastor's wife. I think she is/was Methodist, but I'm not sure.

I I heard it from the nuns as "Whistling girls and crowing hens, always come to some bad ends."

That is what my grandmother used to say whenever she heard us whistling. :lol:

That is what my grandmother used to say whenever she heard us whistling. :lol:

Sounds like something my mother in law would say. She literally decides what kind of day she will have based on the number of magpies in her back yard. I thought she was kidding. Sometimes when they visit I leave kids shoes on the table on purpose. :nenner:

It is actually in the Bible since it is one of the ten commandments not to take god's name in vain; but while growing up in a woman-hating society, we were expected to be soft-spoken, humble, quiet and meek by loud, swearing, violent, aggressive and drunk men. Whenever the word "god" slipped out from our mouth the very men that kept yelling, swearing and cursing like sailors would yell at us not to take the lord's name in vain then went back to drinking, swearing, cheating on their wives and beating their kids.

It is actually in the Bible since it is one of the ten commandments not to take god's name in vain; but while growing up in a woman-hating society, we were expected to be soft-spoken, humble, quiet and meek by loud, swearing, violent, aggressive and drunk men. Whenever the word "god" slipped out from our mouth the very men that kept yelling, swearing and cursing like sailors would yell at us not to take the lord's name in vain then went back to drinking, swearing, cheating on their wives and beating their kids.

Gee, I wonder why you have anxiety?

Yes, one of my main goals in life is to get over those asshats.

Whenever they wanted to excuse their abuse or their controlling ways they would say that it's god's will and it's in the Bible and shit. They excused their laziness around the house by pointing at the bible saying it's wimen's job to clean, cook and wash dishes because the menz support the family. Now the thing is that most people were jobless drunks with 3+ kids living off of benefits. They tried to hide their shame behind being preachy. Any fictitious bible quote sounds believable when it comes from a mouth that oozes the odor of alcohol.

People can excuse all their actions by pointing at the bible which, in most cases they never read.

Archived