IGNORED

How would you react if you were seated by this guy?

DGayle

I think I would ask to be seated somewhere else if sitting next to a preachy fundie. Even if it meant giving up first class for the worst seat on the plane. In fact, if there were no extra seats, I would ask if I can just grab onto the wing of the plane and hang on tight.

Way less offensive than those other people in the airport that were discussed here a few weeks ago (cannot remember their names). Annoying yes, but the lady did ask.

My response would be a big old eye roll once he got to the punchline followed by immediately putting on a pair of headphones. Bully for you, guy. :roll:

My response would be to pop a Xanax and watch him try to use my fear of flying to convert me as I cheerfully rode the high of the Xanax and sit there giggling like a maniac before I pass out

I think I would ask to be seated somewhere else if sitting next to a preachy fundie. Even if it meant giving up first class for the worst seat on the plane. In fact, if there were no extra seats, I would ask if I can just grab onto the wing of the plane and hang on tight.

After a few hours they'd be asking to be shifted away from me. And I'd be asking for just a few more minutes to clear up a few questions about Jepthtah.

I think I would ask to be seated somewhere else if sitting next to a preachy fundie.

Same here. I'm Jewish so I think I would say a Jewish prayer.

Meh, it probably didn't happen. I've always found it ironic how preachers often blur the line of true stories to make an object lesson/point in a sermon.

Meh, it probably didn't happen. I've always found it ironic how preachers often blur the line of true stories to make an object lesson/point in a sermon.

A FB friend posted a picture of Tebow kneeling in prayer with a caption that sais something about why is t this not ok but ?blank? Is? I forgot what blank was......anyway.....I remember thinking who sais it's not ok? I can't remember ever seeing somebody criticize another person who quietly prayed by themselves in public. Nobody cares!

If I were sitting next to him I might whip out my rosary, and explain why the Luminouse Mysteries of the Rosary are my faveorite of all the mysteries.

I agree with Escapefromfundiedom that, if it ever happened, he is not as obnoxious as the Mallys (not that "less obnoxious than a Mally" is much of a compliment! :lol: ).

She did ask what he does for a living (after he asked her).

And, if he actually is involved in a denomination that does good, as he claims (y'know, those Works that many Fundies seems to scorn), that's nice.

I might ask, in fact, how he defines "church," and how he feels about those who claim Jesus as their savior but don't believe in doing good here on Earth. Or I might feign innocence and chirp "Oh, are you Catholic? That's wonderful!" :twisted:

If he tried to persuade me to believe what he does, I'd excuse myself from the conversation and do some work or reading.

A FB friend posted a picture of Tebow kneeling in prayer with a caption that sais something about why is t this not ok but ?blank? Is? I forgot what blank was......anyway.....I remember thinking who sais it's not ok? I can't remember ever seeing somebody criticize another person who quietly prayed by themselves in public. Nobody cares!

If I were sitting next to him I might whip out my rosary, and explain why the Luminouse Mysteries of the Rosary are my faveorite of all the mysteries.

The issue with Tebow that even a lot of Christians have is how much he makes a show of being a Christian for personal attention and praise.

That would be my guess. I think the schtick is kind of cute, actually. Probably because I'm Christian * and I don't think it happened, anyway. The pastor is a humorist preaching to an audience who would automatically find this a funny story. It's slacktivism - laughing at someone else's (probably made-up) bold conversations lets them off the hook for doing the same.

* but not the kind of Christian that thinks only my way is the right way and everyone else is going to hell. In fact, I don't believe in hell... or in the way the divine is often presented... but I digress. I just didn't want a spin-off about whether or not I think others on the board are wrong and I'm right or something like that. So, please - no one's going to hell and I think you're all great no matter what you believe (or don't) :fsm:

The issue with Tebow that even a lot of Christians have is how much he makes a show of being a Christian for personal attention and praise.

The meme in question shows Muslims praying in the fully-bowed position. When my friends have posted it, I respond, "Both are ok." .... and it goes along with all those other detestable Christian memes about "I will not apologize for being a Christian." To my knowledge, no one is asking for an apology. I once responded as if it were a real thing, saying, "Oh, no! that's terrible! In all my years, no one has ever demanded that I apologize for my beliefs. Who's asking this? I want to write a letter." But I deleted it because it was passive-aggressive. In fact, I doubt most people really even care what you believe unless you're being an obnoxious boor about it or are committing hate crimes.

Share this if you wuuuv Jeebus.

:lol:

I do understand Tebow hate, but I just can't share in it, personally. He passes my NFL player test, so I can't be too hard on him.

1) Has he killed someone?

2) Has he raped/sexually assaulted someone?

3) Has he participated in or actively covered up abuse?

(This is, incidentally, also the test I use for religious leaders.)

Same here. I'm Jewish so I think I would say a Jewish prayer.

Fellow Jew here! I'd start just rapid-fire chanting the blessing of the Torah. It can sound eerie if done right (trust me, I would try to make it sound "freaky" when I had to practice for my Bat Mitzvah...I had to entertain myself somehow!). Or just put on the most nasal, Mel Brooks, Mike Myers doing the Coffee Talk sketch, obnoxious accent and throw Yiddish expressions into every sentence I say to him.

Ditto the "less annoying than the Mallys" comment.

I rarely speak to strangers on planes at all, particularly men, but I'm from Toronto where we never talk to anybody. In a chattier cultural context, the conversation might make sense, and if the other person joins in and asks what he does, he's just continuing the conversation. I don't mind his description of his work. It beats some teen telling me that my beliefs are wrong.

image.png

Depending on how I was feeling, I would either say I was an ex-Mormon missionary or an ex-fundie. Either way, I'm terrifying. And I have headphones.

Religion aside, talking to people on planes helps my anxiet. I try not to push people who don't want to talk, but sometimes I panic and do it anyway.

Now I'm kinda intimidated...

I think I'd just have to spread the Word of Blessed Andraste and convert him through the Chant of Light.

I'd also introduce myself as Revered Mother Giselle, and insist he refer to me as such.

Dude's got nothing on a gamer. We believe!!!!!11!!

Agreed. I once heard a pastor tell a "funny" story about bringing back souvenirs from the Holy Land. By request he brought a rock from some specific place (I don't remember where exactly) to someone in his congregation. Someone else wanted a Holy Land rock too, so he went in his backyard and collected rocks for her. He labeled them with the names of all these places and presented them to her. The big finale of this story was that he later visited her home and saw that she had all of these rocks proudly displayed on her mantle. He actually thought this was funny. Listening to this story, I thought about how he was perfectly comfortable making up a story to enhance someone's faith.

Or we could just call it lying.

Religion aside, talking to people on planes helps my anxiet. I try not to push people who don't want to talk, but sometimes I panic and do it anyway.

Now I'm kinda intimidated...

With me, it's really a Toronto thing. I mean, I think that people on the streets and subways of New York are surprisingly friendly. Public transit in Toronto = dead silence, unless someone is talking to somebody that they already know. If you are stuck in the same spot due to an ice storm, you may start talking to strangers after 60 min. If there's a particularly big sports win, like the World Series, it is appropriate to cheer. If you are clearly a tourist, the fact that you are talking on public transit will make you stick out like a sore thumb, and you'll wonder how, in a multicultural city, it took only 5 sec. for someone to ask you where you are visiting from. So, I tend to radiate discomfort with the idea of talking to strangers on planes altogether, unless children are involved. Any chit chat that does occur tends to revolve around destinations and/or the weather.

I was seated next to a preachy fundie about 4 years ago on a delayed flight into West Palm. We were in a friggin ground hold and he asked me if he could tell me about Jesus. I smiled and said "no, thanks, I'm all set." He looked rather surprised and turned to the woman across the aisle (I had the window of a deuce, he had the aisle). He asked her the same question and she responded "I'm working here."

He quietly sat and read his bible. I drank wine.

Archived