IGNORED

Remember that puppy Erika Shupe got?

ViolaSebastian

Our neighbors ditched a beagle puppy for being a *gasp* beagle puppy. She kept escaping their yard, and my kids would diligently catch her and return her.

We did NOT want another dog, but beagles have been perfect fit for our family for years, once we learned how to address their bolting tendencies. When they told my kids they were taking her to he pound, guess who got a beagle afterall.

Guess what beagle is approaching a year and now acting like an unruly teen beagle?

It's a PITA but when the kids get fed up and ask if they can get rid of her, I consistently tell them NO. We took her. We must train her, and deal with the potty issues, and pick up the trash she stress around, and love on her, and scratch her belly, and keep shoes and underwear out of her reach, and LIVE with her baby behaviors until she grows up in another two years, at which point in time, all of her temperament indicates she'll be as fantastic as her adopted beagle mommy, who had just as rough of a babyhood as her but these children don't remember it.

Yes, it's a pain. No, I wasn't going to take on this stress right now. But I'm certainly NOT going to dump her for the crimes of being a beagle puppy, who still acts like a baby even though she is now nearly full sized physically.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the kids and Bob need to re-home ERIKA. :::smile::: ::::wink:::: ::::puke:::: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Shih - tzu weight range is 4 - 16lbs. Unfortunately like a lot of small dog breeds people want the tiny end and try to push the envelope on how small they can breed them down/ This leads to health problems and IMO in some breeds mental issues. Before anyone says anything, no I think that puppy and the dog before was just being themselves/their breed. A puppy chews, barks, and plays. Some more than others lol.

No dog is without it's problems. If it's not when you get them the it's as they age. We have a 12 year old Miniature Poodle who now has liver problems and is going senile and has decided that the only place she'll sleep is on me! But you put up with it because you love the little buggers. You wouldn't (or maybe she would) re-home your kid if they were acting up, why would you do it to a pet that is just as much a part of your family?

My younger dog is a lab mix. Labs are known for being mouthy and well...sort of destructive. I wish I had a nickel for every shoe he's chewed. He even chewed a BRAND NEW pair of shoes that were still in the box!!! He's rowdy as all hell at almost 6 years old, but unbelievably gentle with my grandson. I mean GENTLE. Anakin (dog) even allowed the tiny human to HAND FEED him. I'm talking one kibble at a time from tiny human to great big dog. Great big dog would sit patiently while the tiny human would reach into his bowl, get a kibble out and feed it to great big dog (GBD). GBD would share his crate with tiny human. GBD is VERY possessive over tiny human...

Erika don't know shit from shinola about puppies/dogs. She needs to be crate trained too...

My younger dog is a lab mix. Labs are known for being mouthy and well...sort of destructive. I wish I had a nickel for every shoe he's chewed. He even chewed a BRAND NEW pair of shoes that were still in the box!!! He's rowdy as all hell at almost 6 years old, but unbelievably gentle with my grandson. I mean GENTLE. Anakin (dog) even allowed the tiny human to HAND FEED him. I'm talking one kibble at a time from tiny human to great big dog. Great big dog would sit patiently while the tiny human would reach into his bowl, get a kibble out and feed it to great big dog (GBD). GBD would share his crate with tiny human. GBD is VERY possessive over tiny human...

Erika don't know shit from shinola about puppies/dogs. She needs to be crate trained too...

yeah, i'd love to see her in a crate, too.

my sister did several weeks of research and decided to get a mini American eskimo. he turned out to be 15-20 lb heavier than breed standard, skittish, non-social, and territorial (far more so than what is normal for the breed), but she has no intention of giving him away. nor has she accused the breeder of "lying."

guess what, Erika, dogs are like people. they have personalities and you can't control them. would you sell your kids if they didn't meet your standards?

I have two dogs that are generally well-behaved sweethearts, but they're not perfect. One has an estrogen issue from her spaying that causes her to lose bladder control and 'dribble'. If I were Erika, I would have been impatient and inflexible and given away a really wonderful, cuddly, gorgeous animal. Luckily, I talked to the vet like a normal person and her issue was fixable through medication and some behavior modifications (that mostly focus on *my* behavior--ha!). My other girl has allergies to grain and needs special food that's rotated around. She is also a shoe chewer and as a puppy ate an entire papier mache statue of a conquistador that I brought back from central America. So again, I had to modify my behavior and keep those sorts of things out of her reach. They both bark and sometimes have potty accidents if they get sick and sometimes they puke up their chews, because that's just what dogs do. :penguin-no: If you don't want to deal with those sorts of things, the answer is really easy: don't get a dog. But don't drag your poor kids through the psychological torture of getting attached to an animal and giving it away. That is cruel.

If she wants a perfect animal, she's not going to find it. She's best just getting a roomba and naming it Spot.

I have a family member who bred shihtzus during her retirement. Those puppies were adorable, but DESTRUCTIVE. Together, one specific litter ate through a wood baby gate, chewed the trim off the door frame and got through one layer of drywall trying to escape the kitchen and get into the rest of the house. Those tiny little things.

They have such amazing personalities and little quirks, I'd totally want one even now if I didn't know how much work is required to keep them groomed. As the family member aged and began to decline (shed stopped breeding at this point) I had to step up and assist with grooming. Even as a broke college student, it was cheaper to take the dogs to the groomer between how long it took and how she would cry every time I butchered their beautiful fur and I'd end up trying to get the groomer to fix it. I'm not cut out for grooming dogs.

Plus those dogs never fully house trained. They were paper trained on the tile floor but they'd go romp around outside, go on walks, and come back and shit on the paper as soon as I brought them back in. Little bastards. They were cute and super playful.

The family member never adopted her puppies out to families with lots of kids or kids under 5 or 6. If a kid didn't show proper respect, shed decline to adopt to them. She didn't make much money, just enough to pay her annual property taxes and charged $350/dog back in the 90s.

I think the kids and Bob need to re-home ERIKA. :::smile::: ::::wink:::: ::::puke:::: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The kids? Yes. BUt Bob seems just as bad as Erika (hell he puts up with her shit, and from the blog he seems to be a conspiracy theorist).

Send the kids to live with the since cut off MIL (who shows them what love is).

She needs to find another breed of dog, what someone above said about Shit Tzu's is very true. Where I dog walk alot their is one and he is soo perskitiy that the owner won't allow him around young kids.

Well here's where the crazy dog lady in me comes out. This dumb, anal retentive control freak thinks that she can find a puppy that will fill her dream breed's check list? Dogs are work. Forever. Puppies are round the clock work for at least the first year. My english bully boy turned one in January. He was hideous, as in werewolf bad from day one. He nipped at us to the point we have scars. My husband built a "penalty box" out of wood that was eighteen inches high,four feet by two feet. Pup would nip, in the box he'd go. This went on for hours each day, weeks on end. In and out of the box, over and over. Whatever awful puppy behavior you can imagine, he did to the nth degree. We took him to the same puppy fundamentals class..twice. I worked with him everyday. He was neutered as soon as the vet would agree to it. I took to calling him Rucifer. Then one day in December he turned into the most amazing dog ever. I bought him a sister (literally his half sibling) in January and she's the best puppy ever. So the moral of the story (if the twit is reading) is that every single dog is unique no matter what the breed. You cannot guarantee behaviors. You can't even ballpark it. Unique, sort of like humans. I hope she never finds a puppy that she fancies. Ever. Because she's a psycho and psychos shouldn't own pets or kids. Unfortunately she's already got the kids.

The previously mentioned GBD in my previous post was A LOT like that as a puppy. He liked to play ROUGH and by ROUGH I mean he'd leave my hands scratched up and bleeding with his little puppy teeth. We tried to housebreak him but he didn't get the message until one day after he'd shit by the back door for the umpteenth time, our older dog grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, shook him a bit and growled. Instant perfectly housebroken puppy!!!! When we lived in VA, he'd escape from the backyard EVERY CHANCE HE GOT!!! The whole neighborhood knew him. He was a handful. Rowdy, stubborn, opinionated. Fast forward a couple of years...he's still rowdy but he's the SWEETEST thing (well except for the eating the house when we're not home thing). If we hadn't been willing to stick it out through his puppyhood, he'd have gone back to the humane society inside a week. BUT...we understood he was a baby and babies have to learn.

Same now with Death & Destruction, our kittens. They're a little rowdy, sorta wild at times, but they are still BABIES. In just the three months since we've gotten them, they've calmed down, they actually have made friends with the dogs, they've learned not to jump on the kitchen counters, they never miss the litter box (we have one upstairs and one downstairs), and are sweet and snuggly until they decide its playtime! AND...even kittens will chew on things they shouldn't...like tables, chair legs, stuff like that.

Unless laminate flooring has greatly improved in the past five years, she better pray a kid doesn't puke on it, or a bucket of water spills or a dishwasher leaks etc. because unless you're there with towels in hand the minute it happens, that pricey laminate curls up when wet. I rue the day I chose to replace our linoleum with it and it's leaving as soon as I can afford hardwood. She'd go ape shit crazy if a puppy piddled and no one got to it in time.

Shih - tzu weight range is 4 - 16lbs. Unfortunately like a lot of small dog breeds people want the tiny end and try to push the envelope on how small they can breed them down/ This leads to health problems and IMO in some breeds mental issues. Before anyone says anything, no I think that puppy and the dog before was just being themselves/their breed. A puppy chews, barks, and plays. Some more than others lol.

I can't put my hands of my Shih tzu book at the moment, but, IIRC, the national Shih tzu club, which sets the breed standards, discourages the breeding of very small dogs (teacup size) as they can be so easily injured. It's very normal for Shih tzu to get up to 16 pounds or so even if you don't scarf down all the cat food you can like Chloe tends to do.

She needs to be crate trained too...

Thank you for that, I just had the most delightful image of her stuffed in a crate, while a large number of dogs roam through her house, slobbering, chewing, peeing, and shedding everywhere, and of course, completely destroying her little minute-by-minute schedules.

I can see why Erika might want a puppy. One more thing whose will she can break and then control.I hope she is not able to adopt any more pets and I hope the pets she did adopt have actually been re-homed and are not at the proverbial farm in the country.

But don't drag your poor kids through the psychological torture of getting attached to an animal and giving it away. That is cruel.

If she wants a perfect animal, she's not going to find it. She's best just getting a roomba and naming it Spot.

I have a serious head cold, and you just made me cough up a lung reading that. Now THAT'S cruel. :lol:

Thank you for that, I just had the most delightful image of her stuffed in a crate, while a large number of dogs roam through her house, slobbering, chewing, peeing, and shedding everywhere, and of course, completely destroying her little minute-by-minute schedules.

I need a Photoshop of this. Better yet, if anyone here is a good painter, paint it. I promise I will laugh my ass off for your effort.

If they don't want the long-term care of dogs, then dog-sit.

Also 8 weeks is still to early to separate pups form moms. Common, but young. I think the ideal is wait until 12 or 16 weeks.

She needs to be banned from animals.

I need a Photoshop of this. Better yet, if anyone here is a good painter, paint it. I promise I will laugh my ass off for your effort.

Let's add her children in the mix as well where they do as they please for once outside of mommy's insane scheduling.

Aside from that, total animal lover here with two shelter pets between my bf and I. Also has three golden retrievers growing up. Two of them were great dogs. Second one minded very well and was the sweetest dog I ever knew...but, as a puppy, she as rather destructive. My parent had this decorative goose on the front porch. You could put little outfits on it per the season or holiday or whatever. It was painted concrete. Our second golden puppy chewed the first half of the nose off. Yes, she chewed concrete. Our first golden chewed up wicker furniture. Our last one chewed the underside of the couches and the weather stripping of the door off, twice. My adopted puppy, age unknown between 3-6 months estimated and a mutt so breeds unknowns, chewed up undergarments, socks, and the cushion insoles of shoes used for long hours standing at work more than once. My sister and her bf's beagle puppy chewed up all things paper. He destroyed an entire atlas once and when I say destroyed, I mean it. It was completely shredded. And house breaking them all was super hard, even with a commonly easy breed like the golden. And oh the stories I could tell about all the dogs varied behaviors. I could write a book on the incidents over the years. No leash laws where I grew up, so dogs roamed about the neighborhood. Oh the things my retrievers have retrieved. And my last golden was the worst behaved puppy of them all to date. Never have I experienced such an aggressive and mean puppy and this was a golden, known for amazing temperament. But we kept her anyway and after age two she really mellowed out and by age three became the super sweet and kind dog we know of today. She is almost six now. My shelter puppy is almost three and super sweet and cuddly, but boy does she bark and is very loud when she barks. When I first got her I didn't know if she even knew how to make noise. My sister's beagle is just over a year old and he is still super rotten. As a puppy, no matter what you did to try and block him in, he would find a way out. I called him Little Houdini. :D

Point of all this is to say that every dog is unique and you can't just throw them away like a toy when they do not meet your supposed expectations for that dog or breed. They are not things, they are living, breathing beings and treating them like some sort of accessory or commodity can breed behavior problems. My bf's cat went to the shelter about three times because his prior owner keep going back to jail and he developed serious behavior issues that the shelter worked to fix and my bf took him and has worked on him since as well. His behavior has drastically changed since he came home at the end of July. So, having shelter pets has shown us what happens to animals when they get treated as things instead of living creatures. So eff you, Erika

I called her on the dog yesterday on FB,, I told her I suspect the reason you got rid of it because it didn't fit in our perfect world,, she replied that ,, wouldbt you want a dog that fit in the family, to which I said,, yes,, but if its not biting the kids or making a mess which you can train not to do, then what you did was disgusting,, and I asked her how many dogs is this that you tossed out, of course the whole thing is gone today,, I hate that witch worse then LA smile wink FU

I called her on the dog yesterday on FB,, I told her I suspect the reason you got rid of it because it didn't fit in our perfect world,, she replied that ,, wouldbt you want a dog that fit in the family, to which I said,, yes,, but if its not biting the kids or making a mess which you can train not to do, then what you did was disgusting,, and I asked her how many dogs is this that you tossed out, of course the whole thing is gone today,, I hate that witch worse then LA smile wink FU

Almost any dog can "fit" in a family. Thing is, the family must adjust to the dog same as the dog must adjust to the family! For example...some folks let their dogs on the furniture. In our house that's a no-no (husband's rule). So...we just taught the dogs not to jump on the furniture (although GBD has learned that as long as he's on mommy, daddy won't fuss). And...I prefer laying on the floor with the dogs anyway, it's a lot more fun! Our dogs have adjusted to, so far, three different houses in three different states. Our vet here, when we took the boyos for their shots, asked us if they had any trouble adjusting, such as reverting to bad behaviors like going potty in the house. We told her no...no problems at all. Vet smiled and said that showed that the dogs were confident that we'd never leave them. So...dogs can and do adjust. So do people. Erika...will NEVER adjust to having a pup in the house. They're a HELLUVA LOT of work. Puppies (and kittens) are like having babies/toddlers in the house. It takes time and effort to teach them how to live in the family, just like kids.

Somehow we managed to have 2 well behaved (I won't say obedient because they aren't) dogs and so far the kittens are becoming quite well behaved also (if I could keep them from dragging my stuffed animals all over the house). Right now I'm sitting on my bed after letting the boys out for their morning sunbathing, the kittens are here with me. Leia is at the end of the bed sleeping. Luke is laying across my leg, purring like a 6lb motorboat.

(yeah...we have a theme for names. The dogs are Yoda and Anakin and the kittens are Luke & Leia).

Anyway...it takes TIME and EFFORT to work with said critters. They just don't fit into Erika's schedule. Fuck her...

Since they insist on getting a dog. A family like this would fair better to adopt a young adult dog from a foster family. Erica has certain expectations and since every dog is a unique individual creature, she may be able to find a dog in the 1-3 year range with a more fully formed personality and temperament . She is buying into the belief that she can mold a puppy to be whatever she wants and that isn't always the case. She also won't let go of the idea of owning a shitzu which is silly, there are probably plenty of dogs in rescue that would blend more easily into her family that are past the puppy stage. That will never happen so let's see how many failed attempts at new puppy's this family tries before throwing in the towel. What a terrible lesson for the kids.

I would think that in a family with that many kids, a Golden Retriever would probably be more fitting. However, they're big dogs and they SHED like mad. I've informed my mister that when (heaven forbid) our old man crosses the rainbow bridge, we will be getting a golden (from rescue of course!). HOPEFULLY we have many more years to love on our old man before then. He's about 11 now and just as spry as a pup.

Archived