IGNORED

19 Kids and Counting Sponsors - MERGE

Rainytown

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I understand Lowes is not only sticking with advertising on this show but they are banning people from their facebook page who post about it and deleted all comments from their page. I'm curious if anyone else has heard this? It makes me wonder if Lowes has a deeper connection to the Duggars than mere money?

I have seen comments disappear. It seems like they last 2-3 hours at best. I wrote a comment a few days ago and I don't see it but I am also not banned.

I wrote to Lowes through my husband commercial account with them. Since his company spends in the high 5 figures with Lowes I thought it would have a bigger impact. There has been no comment. My husband emailed them about an order and they responded right away so I assume they are ignoring 19 kids emails?

My husband was going to ask the local manager he deals with but the irony, the guy is filming a reality show! Not TLC related but odd timing.

Honest Company deleted my comment. Their facebook page is so happy and perfect. I wonder if they deleted other comments? I didn't see any others so I guess they must have.

I remembered that show and the Lowe's reaction too, so I did a little digging and found this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/0 ... 27264.html

Which linked to this:

floridafamily.org/full_article.php?article_no=108

I'm afraid any comment I make to Lowe's FB will just be angry word salad. Can somebody help me write a coherent comment to make to them?

edited for less word salad ;)

I don't know if its true or not, but on the Facebook page for the Boycott people are saying that Lowes is filtering any comments referencing the Duggars and the scandal. You can try and get around it by avoiding any "trigger" words that might be associated with it. Some people are also saying you can get around the filter by replying to another person's comment.

My best suggestion would be to keep things short, to the point, and brief. Be polite. See about mentioning how you're a loyal customer, but wouldn't mind taking your business elsewhere (like Home Depot).

Here is the latest list from the Boycott TLC 19KAC page. These folks are SERIOUS, and are making it their mission to get sponsors pulled. Next on their agenda? Getting books pulled from the stores. Notice HULU pulled episodes, and I just read on their site that Amazon Prime is in the process of pulling the episodes, too. You should check this page out if you have not. Latest list:

Here is a list of some of the Sponsor's of 19 Kids and Counting Contact them and voice your opinions!

Pure Leaf Ice Tea (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Amazon Prime (ESCALATING TO SENIOR MANAGEMENT TO PULL SHOW)

Hidden Valley (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Band-Aid (Johnson & Johnson) (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Arm & Hammer (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Firehouse Subs (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Skinny Cow (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Crayola (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Bertolli (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Pizza Hut (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Party City (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Ricola (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Kings's Hawaiian (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Sherwin-Williams (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

David's Bridal (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Clorox (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Haute Look (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Nestle' (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Ace Hardware (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

ConAgra Food, Inc. (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Walgreens (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Behr Paint (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

CVS (REFUSES ADVERTISING ON 19 KIDS AND COUNTING)

Payless Shoesource (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

H&R Block (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Jimmy Dean (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

All State (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Choice Hotel (ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN PULLED)

Keurig (REFUSES ADVERTISING ON 19 KIDS AND COUNTING)

Jergens (made contact with Jergens- their response-Thank you for reaching out to us with your comments. The JERGENS® brand is not an advertising sponsor and will not air advertising during TLC’s program “19 Kids and Counting.â€)

John Frieda (made contact with John Frieda- their response- Thank you for reaching out to us with your comments. The John Frieda® brand is not an advertising sponsor and will not air advertising during TLC’s program “19 Kids and Counting.â€)

HULU (PULLED ALL EPISODES OF THE SHOW)

Discover-Response- The show isn't on our current TV schedules and we have no plans to advertise on it in the future. Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

* Macy's

* McDonald's

* Panera Bread

* Philadelphia Cream Cheese- Parent company Kraft

* Naked Juice- Parent company Pepsi

* GEICO

* Benjamin Moore

* Kohl's

* Oscar Mayer

* Listerine

* FRONTLINE Plus

* Minute Maid- Parent company Coca Cola

* Lowe's Home Improvement

* Swiffer

* Proctor & Gamble (specifically Charmin, Bounty, and Head & Shoulders)

Disney: Phone #: (818) 560-1000 Email: http://goo.gl/lXWZiY Address: 500 S Buena Vista St, Burbank, California 91521-6369

Little Ceasars: Phone # 1-313-983-6000 Address: 2211 Woodward Ave. Detroit, MI 48201

Capital One: Address: 1680 Capital One Drive McClean, VA 22102 Phone #: 1-703-720-1000 Email: webinfo@capitalone.com

KAO Brands: Address: 312 Plum Street Building Cincinnati, OH 45201 Phone #: 513-629-5210 Email: http://goo.gl/pOKLTE

Mars: Address: 6885 Elm St. McLean, VA Phone #: 1-703-821-4900 Email: http://goo.gl/0yDTH1

P&G: http://goo.gl/Ob3V4C

Maybellene: http://goo.gl/0hFXfe

Nestle: https://goo.gl/GXoIXg

Flonase:

Lysol, Mucinex, Sandals Resort, Charmin, Geico, Chase, Vidal Sasoon, and Post.

Here's the ones in Canada

Caesar dog food, Rogers (a Canadian telecom), Nivea, X Company , Juvéderm, an American lawyer (re: vaginal mesh lawsuits), Chapstick, IAMS, John Frieda, Brookside chocolate, Downy, Joss & Main, Lancaster caramels, Carraba's restaurant, DeVry University, Meta Health Bars, Lays chips, Band-Aid, Jenny Craig,, KFC, Zzzquil, Rolo, Hershey's, Light & Fit protein shakes, Liberty Mutual, Birch Box beauty products, Quaker Oats, and illuMask light therapy mask.

Edited once, cause spelling is hard, ya'll!

I will protest having their books pulled any day of the week. Do you know what I hate more than the Duggars? Hypocrisy and censorship. If their books get pulled, then they reserve the right to try and get books pulled that THEY don't agree with. Anyone think that's a good idea?

As a librarian [and i am sure I am not the only one on this site] I absolutely WILL NOT support any effort to remove books from sale or from libraries. This goes against my professional training and specifically violates the tenets of the American Library Association, as expressed in our Freedom to Read Statement: http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/ ... dstatement and other publications.

Josh is still listed on Ecclesia College's site. That really needs to go.

[attachment=0]ecclesiacollege.jpg[/attachment]

If they haven't kicked him off already, they probably won't... I mean, they were silly enough to put him on the board in the first place, right?

I like how it mentions that he started his own car dealership (like there was no family help there, for a person in his late teens/early 20s?). And that his platform is "God-given." Sure seems to me like most of his things are JimBob-given, but I guess that's not as fun to claim.

As a librarian [and i am sure I am not the only one on this site] I absolutely WILL NOT support any effort to remove books from sale or from libraries. This goes against my professional training and specifically violates the tenets of the American Library Association, as expressed in our Freedom to Read Statement: http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/ ... dstatement and other publications.

Not a librarian myself, but I've worked in libraries so I'm familiar with Freedom to Read. I agree with you.

I also think there's a distinction between trying to suppress a book vs. trying to get advertising sponsors to pull their support from a reality TV show (which I'm guessing is the real cash cow for the Duggars).

I seem to recall that several years ago TLC had a new show about an American Muslim family living in Michigan, The show followed their day-to-day lives and showed how they were just normal people living their lives. The Evangelical Christian community was having none of it and, along with cooperation from a sponsor, Lowe's, managed to get the show cancelled after one season. I remember this pretty well because I was angry that Lowe's would go along with it and I began my personal boycott of their stores. I never saw the show so I cannot comment on the content but the entire situation was off-putting. Perhaps Lowe's has a connection to Evangelicals.

Yes, I haven't shopped at Lowes since because of that. I watched the show, and it was boring, of course, like any family documentary type show would be, but still interesting. They seemed really down to earth.

I'm really disgusted at Lowes for continuing this idiocy and then filtering facebook comments, especially in light of their reasoning for dropping All American Muslim. Someone more creative than me needs to make a Scumbag CEO meme out of this.

Someone on the Facebook boycott page claims the owners of Lowes belong to a very right wing religious sect. Anyone know who they are or what group they belong to?

Someone on the Facebook boycott page claims the owners of Lowes belong to a very right wing religious sect. Anyone know who they are or what group they belong to?

Wikipedia says the founder was a Baptist. It's hard to say (I'm judgemental and tend to paint with a wide brush) but it looks like the company might be a little bit fundie.

If we can keep Mein Kampf on the shlves, I'm sure some Duggar reading will be okay. Those types of books are really only there for the "wtf factor" anyways.

Yes, I haven't shopped at Lowes since because of that. I watched the show, and it was boring, of course, like any family documentary type show would be, but still interesting. They seemed really down to earth.

I'm really disgusted at Lowes for continuing this idiocy and then filtering facebook comments, especially in light of their reasoning for dropping All American Muslim. Someone more creative than me needs to make a Scumbag CEO meme out of this.

I called them out on this hypocrisy twice, and the second one was gone before I could even refresh. Maybe I'm blocked? :lol:

Here's what I said:

Mainstream Muslims are bad, but Christian extremists are A okay!

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 12:57 PM

Subject: RE: Lowe's Home Centers, Inc. advertised during All-American Muslim

While we continue to advertise on various cable networks, including TLC, there are certain programs that do not meet Lowe's advertising guidelines, including the show you brought to our attention. Lowe's will no longer be advertising on that program. Andrew, Lowe’s Executive Support.

There's a guy on there Jorge who is making measured criticisms and not getting deleted. Good job, Jorge! I'm too angry for that, lol.

Wow I had no idea about Lowes. I don't shop there but I applied for a job and ended up not getting picked for an interview. Thank god

If we can keep Mein Kampf on the shlves, I'm sure some Duggar reading will be okay. Those types of books are really only there for the "wtf factor" anyways.

Yeah, I can get behind a campaign to give the Duggar books 1-star reviews, or get people to try to return their books to the store, but not pulling the books entirely.

In case anyone is interested, here's a breakdown of Lowe's political donations. They definitely lean right.

influenceexplorer.com/organization/lowes-companies/f013a7edd0ed41fbb7660676c88b9bd1

Not a librarian myself, but I've worked in libraries so I'm familiar with Freedom to Read. I agree with you.

I also think there's a distinction between trying to suppress a book vs. trying to get advertising sponsors to pull their support from a reality TV show (which I'm guessing is the real cash cow for the Duggars).

Don't kill the messenger. I'm only repeating what's happening on their site.

I think they see it as a continued attempt to take revenue away from JB and Michelle rather than a censorship of reading material, if that makes sense. I'm not saying it's right or agreeing with them, but in the grand scheme of what they're doing, it seems a logical summation.

I'm concerned about Lowe's. Why would they not advertise on "All American Muslim" but will advertise on "19KaC?"

There's a story here,

On the topic of the Duggar books, there probably won't be future printings of the books. I think most Duggar leghumper bought copies of the books before Joshgate. The scandal is probably enough to keep a lot of people from buying the books. I'm looking at Amazon reviews of Boob/Mullet's books and Growing Up Duggar, there are recent one star reviews slamming them because of Josh.

The Duggar books will probably remain in stock in some bookstores. Amazon still sells the crappy To Train Up A Child, by Michael and Debi Pearl, even though there were petitions in the past. They won't pull the Duggar books.

Brick and mortar stores are different story. Boob and Mullet's two books came out years ago and might not be on shelves at BN, and other chain stores. Some independent Christian bookstores might have them on shelves along with Growing Up Duggar. Some megachurches with bookstores might carry all three books, I could see at least one church bookstore pulling the books from shelves.

Review from Amazon on Growing Up Duggar.

PLEASE do not buy and read this book! The ...

ByLisaon May 28, 2015

Format: Hardcover

PLEASE do not buy and read this book! The entire book was written by ghost writer, who wrote what the duggar PARENTS told them to write! JimBob and Michelle have taken all of the profits from this book for themselves and are holding the unmarried girls HOSTAGE in their home under the guise of their fundamentalist Christian (CULT) views! These girls were REPEATEDLY molested by their older brother and then told by their parents and their "Church" that their assaults were their fault because they enticed their brother! Do not support child molesters and the people who protect them! DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK!

As for libraries, some libraries might quietly pull the Duggars books from circulation. If some libraries don't, the scandal will likely steer people away from checking out a Duggar book and then the books will be pulled from circulation because of a lack of interest.

I'm concerned about Lowe's. Why would they not advertise on "All American Muslim" but will advertise on "19KaC?"

There's a story here,

Lowe's and other advertisers got pressured heavily about All American Muslim because a woman started an FB page and campaign against the show. I followed that page back then and it was awful. The woman who started the campaign and others said a lot of hateful things about cast members and the would list advertisers and IIRC, they heavily targeted Lowe's.

Pressure also needs to be put on these sponsors to make sure they won't advertise if a Jessa/Ben & Derrick/Jill spin off show happens. Some magazines are reporting that it is in the works and if true, it is D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G if TLC chose to do a spin-off in an attempt to still profit off the molestation scandal. They would KNOW MILLIONS of viewers would pour in just because they would be seriously curious about it after the molestation scandal broke through. Everyone in the entire world now knows who the Duggars are over this and Jim Bob would be behind the scenes still profiting from a spin off ( and possibly unemployed Josh since Jim Bob would use the $$$ to pay him to basically survive).

Lowes won't let me post on their Facebook page, but I tweeted them. I really think they don't care. Thing is to me being Christian does not mean supporting incest cover-ups. I must've read a different Bible.

Kohl's states on their page they are pulling ads.

Kraft on the other hand is sticking it out :(

Someone on the boycott page e-mailed College Minus. Here was there response.

Thanks for you message. The Duggars did CollegePlus for a little bit and have endorsed us in their book, but CollegePlus has never promoted the Duggars and are not in our testimonial line up.

I'm not sure how they define "promoted," but they used to feature the Duggars heavily on their site.

Someone on the boycott page e-mailed College Minus. Here was there response.

I'm not sure how they define "promoted," but they used to feature the Duggars heavily on their site.

Do they currently feature the Duggars heavily on their site? Are there testimonials by the Duggars for the programs? I don't know what was there in the past or anything about the program, but the website should speak for itself. Either the kids are on there or they aren't, right?

Archived