IGNORED

Media coverage of the Jehovah's Witness child abuse scandal

Coldwinterskies

After seeing several bombshell reports on this problem just in the last couple of days, I feel like the media is finally starting to pay attention to the problem of child rapists being allowed access to children in the Jehovah's Witness religion without parents in the congregation being warned or the police being notified.

I am hoping to collect all the media sources here so that I can thank the organizations for taking the time to bring awareness of this horrible problem that has gone unnoticed by most of society for so many years. If you have seen any other reports please post them here so I can keep tabs on them.

Anything else you've seen? I am also interested if you see local news reports or anything like that that might not make it on the internet.

Have any of you had the chance to ask JWs in your life (or on your doorstep) about these allegations? I would LOVE to hear what the JWs you know are saying about this, because I think most of them have been kept completely in the dark and have no idea this has been a problem.

An ex-JW posted these screen shots that are apparently of how some current JWs are reacting to this report when they talk about it amongst themselves:

http://imgur.com/a/vVggD

That is an amazing snapshot of...I can't quite describe what I think after reading that, but

It was just one instance that has been blown out of proportion.

It isn't an uplifting topic for discussion.

The Elders are not policemen and cannot give legal advice.

The congregation was put in a hard spot, but they handled things like the branch office would have dictated.

Just reading through this, it is obvious that the JWs have an incredibly hierarchical/corporate organizational structure and do not sound as though they have autonomy at the local level.

Can any of you ex JWs expand on this?

This post by Brother Daniel is the problem in a nutshell:

It's a different time now, though, and reports of child abuse are taken more seriously than in the past. But in order for our organization policies to work, every has to their part. But even if we all did our part, it's never going to be enough for all the people who think all accusations of child abuse should be reported to the authorities, or who think the elders or the organization should make congregations aware of any child abusers in that congregation.

I'm guessing that this will blow up in their faces at some point; these posts radiate denial of the problem.

That is an amazing snapshot of...I can't quite describe what I think after reading that, but

It was just one instance that has been blown out of proportion.

It isn't an uplifting topic for discussion.

The Elders are not policemen and cannot give legal advice.

The congregation was put in a hard spot, but they handled things like the branch office would have dictated.

Just reading through this, it is obvious that the JWs have an incredibly hierarchical/corporate organizational structure and do not sound as though they have autonomy at the local level.

Can any of you ex JWs expand on this?

This post by Brother Daniel is the problem in a nutshell:

I'm guessing that this will blow up in their faces at some point; these posts radiate denial of the problem.

I asked my ex JW guy about the hierarchy. In descending order of importance

Jehovah

Governing Body- 12 Men 'directed' by Jehovah, oversees the corporations, Watchtower, etc. HQ is in NYC.

Bethel- National HQ- usually has the printing ministry. Volunteer run- Sounds similar to IBLP HQ.

District- A group of Circuits (10 or so)- Led by a District Overseer

Circuit- a group of congregations (number depends on the size of the circuit) with a Circuit Overseer who visits each congregation a few times a year to help choose elders

Congregation- a group of Witnesses led by a group of Elders.

Other leadership roles exist within the Elders, but he has no info on that. T

There was a special on VH1 in 2005 called "Michael Jackson's Secret Childhood" that aired in 2005. It talked a lot about the role of the Jehovah Witnesses in his early life and they featured the Silent Lambs.org founder. It was very interesting I have never seen it since. I'll go and see if it's on You Tube.

I think you are absolutely correct about that. The JW leaders have all the power and they try very hard to keep their followers from questioning anything.

For example, this is the type of thing they tell their followers in the magazines that they make their followers study that show you how much unquestioning obedience is emphasized:

When “the Assyrian†attacks, the elders must be absolutely convinced that Jehovah will deliver us. (3) At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not. (4) Now is the time for any who may be putting their trust in secular education, material things, or human institutions to adjust their thinking. The elders must stand ready to help any who may now be wavering in their faith.

Taken from here: http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2013846

There was a special on VH1 in 2005 called "Michael Jackson's Secret Childhood" that aired in 2005. It talked a lot about the role of the Jehovah Witnesses in his early life and they featured the Silent Lambs.org founder. It was very interesting I have never seen it since. I'll go and see if it's on You Tube.

Any luck finding it?

I actually have a lot more sympathy for Michael Jackson since I found out what the JWs are really like. I really believe that being raised a JW can truly cause psychological damage to someone, not to mention all the other bizarre situations young MJ had to cope with as a result of his fame, his abusive dad, etc. Poor guy never had a chance.

Any luck finding it?

I actually have a lot more sympathy for Michael Jackson since I found out what the JWs are really like. I really believe that being raised a JW can truly cause psychological damage to someone, not to mention all the other bizarre situations young MJ had to cope with as a result of his fame, his abusive dad, etc. Poor guy never had a chance.

I found it and here is the link: youtube.com/watchv=XBKq2gb9I7k&list=PL23pfkPXjrN73svqQcqxFbA9AZSLwIJZD

I was at the laundromat on Saturday doing my weekly wash and damn if TWO sets of JWs didn't stop by and try to give me their literature and encourage me to download their app. (This was in less than 1 hour, 15 minutes.) They need to spend more time dealing with their child abuse problem, instead of bugging those of us who are just trying to get necessary tasks done.

There was a huge JW scandal in Sweden in 2003. The biggest investigative tv-program (Swedish version of BBC's Panorama) interviewed children who had been raped and abused in JW and the elders who covered it up. It was something that was supposed to be solved in the church, without involvement of the police and often the abused kids (who were teenagers or adults when the program was made) were shunned and the abusers kept their positions in the church.

An American representative from "Silent Lambs", Bill Bowen, was interviewed and he called JW "a paedophile's paradise", a line that really stuck with people. The interview with him (in English) starts at 1:35:

Up until then a lot of people had seen JW as very odd, but harmless and respectable. My family has always talked to them and invited them in, to be curteous. After the tv-program, they refuse to talk to them and tell them why. JW has kept a low(er) profile after that program.

A couple in their 20's from JW knocked on my door a couple of years after the program. I asked about the scandal and they had some clichés to answer with, sounded like it was something they had learned at church. Something like "we have only heard one side and don't really know what happened" and "we are all sinners" (!). Yes, but we don't all rape kids or protect rapists.

I wished them well and said that there are sane churches out there that would welcome them if they decided to leave.

There was a huge JW scandal in Sweden in 2003. The biggest investigative tv-program (Swedish version of BBC's Panorama) interviewed children who had been raped and abused in JW and the elders who covered it up. It was something that was supposed to be solved in the church, without involvement of the police and often the abused kids (who were teenagers or adults when the program was made) were shunned and the abusers kept their positions in the church.

An American representative from "Silent Lambs", Bill Bowen, was interviewed and he called JW "a paedophile's paradise", a line that really stuck with people. The interview with him (in English) starts at 1:35:

Up until then a lot of people had seen JW as very odd, but harmless and respectable. My family has always talked to them and invited them in, to be curteous. After the tv-program, they refuse to talk to them and tell them why. JW has kept a low(er) profile after that program.

I'm glad that Swedish media took a look at this issue and helped expose it to the public. I think that in America we are still at the "they're odd but harmless" stage for the most part. I really hope that people are starting to wake up to the issue and will start asking questions of the JWs out there. I think most JW rank and file members have no idea this has been going on and if they keep meeting people who ask questions about it maybe it will cause some JWs to investigate it for themselves.

It is ridiculous to me that these JWs look down on someone for being gay, but yet they have pedophiles in positions of leadership in their congregations.

Yet another case is currently working its way through the UK courts:

http://jwsurvey.org/child-abuse-2/landm ... ke-history

British FJers, have you heard any news about this?

This is an example of the dysfunction we are talking about within the organization:

On the day I attended, Watchtower produced a witness who was an expert in his field of working with children. He began by trying not to answer direct questions put to him by the Barrister. Eventually, the Judge intervened and told him he had to answer the questions directly.

He was asked if saying sorry and showing repentance was good enough when it comes to child abusers. He gave an honest answer and explained that pedophiles are like alcoholics and drug addicts. Once they offend it is very unlikely that they will ever stop.

The defence Watchtower was using was that Stewart was removed as a ministerial servant and this was announced from the platform. A few weeks later a talk was given from the platform concerning improper behaviour. Watchtower felt this was enough of a warning to the congregation as it should have been obvious this talk was being given about Stewart.

Watchtower’s own expert was questioned on this, and asked whether this was indeed sufficient action. Of course, he had to answer honestly and say, “no.â€

Thanks for posting the links. I also saw that when it originally aired on VH1.

Ditto, it's a very sobering story.(I've always wondered how they were able to get away with doing that Christmas album; everything I've read suggests that JW's will disfellowship you for even *thinking* about celebrating Christmas.)

Ditto, it's a very sobering story.(I've always wondered how they were able to get away with doing that Christmas album; everything I've read suggests that JW's will disfellowship you for even *thinking* about celebrating Christmas.)

That was an interesting and sad story, and I seem to remember seeing that when it was on VH1. I also wonder why none of them were disfellowshipped for even thinking of the Christmas album, let alone releasing it. I guess the JW's cared more that they had a celebrity family in the church than they were about them violating a major rule.

That was an interesting and sad story, and I seem to remember seeing that when it was on VH1. I also wonder why none of them were disfellowshipped for even thinking of the Christmas album, let alone releasing it. I guess the JW's cared more that they had a celebrity family in the church than they were about them violating a major rule.

Yes, you will notice that celebrity JWs are held to a different standard. Look at Prince (as in the Artist who was formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince) for example. Considering that one of the Governing Body members of the JWs recently ranted against "metrosexual" clothing and said wearing tight pants makes men an object of lust for homosexuals, a normal person who was a JW could certainly not get away with showing up to JW events dressed anything like Prince. :) Normal non-famous JWs are strongly discouraged from "wasting time" on anything "worldly" like music/art...since the world is ending any time now, all that matters is worshipping Jehovah.

Another example: Venus and Serena Williams. Normal JW women are not supposed to wear short skirts like tennis skirts, let alone be in competitive sports: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/quote ... titive.php

I was at the laundromat on Saturday doing my weekly wash and damn if TWO sets of JWs didn't stop by and try to give me their literature and encourage me to download their app. (This was in less than 1 hour, 15 minutes.) They need to spend more time dealing with their child abuse problem, instead of bugging those of us who are just trying to get necessary tasks done.

Did you get a chance to ask them about the child abuse problem? I am curious about what they are saying about it.

Have any of you had the chance to ask JWs in your life (or on your doorstep) about these allegations? I would LOVE to hear what the JWs you know are saying about this, because I think most of them have been kept completely in the dark and have no idea this has been a problem.

I did ask once, and the two ladies at my front door said they were very proud of their Two Witness Rule. They said it's fair to all parties and prevents someone spreading vengeful lies about someone.

I wish I'd thought to say to them that many victims are ashamed or afraid to come forward, so it might be hard to find a second witness even if the abuse occured. I hate when I think of the perfect thing to say until it's too late.

I did ask once, and the two ladies at my front door said they were very proud of their Two Witness Rule. They said it's fair to all parties and prevents someone spreading vengeful lies about someone.

I wish I'd thought to say to them that many victims are ashamed or afraid to come forward, so it might be hard to find a second witness even if the abuse occured. I hate when I think of the perfect thing to say until it's too late.

Kudos on bringing it up with them. I think that if enough people keep bringing it up with them, that it will cause some cognitive dissonance for at least some of them.

The way I see it is that if you are worried about vengeful lies, then just leave the JW organization OUT of the investigation. The sensible thing for JWs to do would be to encourage the people who was abused to go to the police instead of making it an issue for the "elders" in the kingdom hall!

The majority of JWs have no formal education beyond high school, since their leaders actively oppose college education and say that it will lead you into believing in evil things like evolution (no exaggeration), so many of the "elders" that are supposed to be in charge of investigating these child abuse claims really do not know the first thing about the legal system or appropriate ways to collect evidence.

I think it is absolutely indefensible to say that an "elder" who is most likely some random guy whose day job is washing windows or being a waiter should be in charge of investigating a serious violent crime. The police are the ones who have been trained in things like how to separate lies from truth and gathering evidence. THAT'S what would make it fair to everyone - don't bring the issue up at all in the kingdom hall if you want to be "fair", but don't obstruct the police from trying to bring justice to the situation.

I asked some JWs once about why they discourage college so much. Their answer was that trade school was fine, even encouraged, and a motivated person could make as much in the trades as with a profession. They felt a college degree was too much commitment for someone to undertake when we are in end times. It would be like putting in overtime for a company that was going out of business. I then asked them if it would be ok for a young woman to pursue a teaching credential if her lifelong dream had always been to be a second grade teacher. They said the church would not interfere with that. That conversation was about 10 years ago, and now my oldest daughter has just finished getting her teaching credential. It's a lot of work! She had to pass a variety of exams my teacher mom never had to take.

I think it's illogical that being a teacher seemed ok to them even though it requires a degree, but college as a whole is discouraged. Of course, this was just coming from 2 women at my door, not some official leader, so the answer might have been different if I asked someone else.

Wouldn't it be awful if you were a JW in college working toward fulfilling your dream and then the decision changed on you at the whim of the church? Some guy with no real education on the matter could just make crap out of your life.

I just can't imagine giving a group of men the power to make crap out of my life when they probably aren't qualified to make any judgement of the issue. That applies to sexual abuse, education, or anything else.

Those 2 ladies stopped coming by my house when my oldest daughter was in 8th grade, and I told them my husband and I had decided to put her in Catholic high school because it had excellent academics. Our local high school was good, but the Catholic high school was very good. They looked disappointed and left. I guess they thought I would have been a good recruit since I was always pleasant to them. The thing is, I'm pleasant to everybody - it doesn't mean I'm going to join a cult.

They relaxed their views on going to college at some point. When I was a kid, they totally preached that you should dedicate your time and energy in full time ministry to Jehovah. Thing was, I never liked going in field service! I knew I was going to go to college. It took a while, but even as an "active" JW, I was still in school...of course part of that too was not knowing what I wanted to be either...took me several years to realize I wanted to be a nurse.

This happen in my old cong. My uncle was an elder. He molested girls. I know it happen to me and at least 4 other girls, one being his daughter. He was disfellowshipped. I never told my mom about what he did to me because she didn't believe the other girls, so why would she believe me? He's a scum bag. I've not seen him in ages.

They relaxed their views on going to college at some point. When I was a kid, they totally preached that you should dedicate your time and energy in full time ministry to Jehovah. Thing was, I never liked going in field service! I knew I was going to go to college. It took a while, but even as an "active" JW, I was still in school...of course part of that too was not knowing what I wanted to be either...took me several years to realize I wanted to be a nurse.

This happen in my old cong. My uncle was an elder. He molested girls. I know it happen to me and at least 4 other girls, one being his daughter. He was disfellowshipped. I never told my mom about what he did to me because she didn't believe the other girls, so why would she believe me? He's a scum bag. I've not seen him in ages.

Oh, Shirley Blest (cute name btw!), I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope your uncle ended up in prison. How did your mom take it when he was disfellowshipped? I hope she came to see the light especially since one of the victims was her niece.

Archived