IGNORED

Fundies and STDs

roddma

A bill has been proposed in the Oklahoma state legislature that would require couples to prove they have no STDs before they get married.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/02 ... iage-bill/

Well, some STIs aren't curable. Also, it's nobody's damn business expect yours, your partner's and your doctor's if you do have one, treatable, curable, or not.

A bill has been proposed in the Oklahoma state legislature that would require couples to prove they have no STDs before they get married.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/02 ... iage-bill/

OK, a in olden days (1970s) this was a standard "thing" -- blood tests before marriage license in many states. I can't remember if I had one. Also had to get blood tests before getting a food handlers license....

One rumor about Oklahoma back then that this KS girl heard was that when people eloped to Miami OK, where the whole thing could be very condensed, blood tests were rushed through and at least one couple reported they took his blood and put it in two vials, since she had a fear of needles.....

OK, a in olden days (1970s) this was a standard "thing" -- blood tests before marriage license in many states. I can't remember if I had one. Also had to get blood tests before getting a food handlers license....

One rumor about Oklahoma back then that this KS girl heard was that when people eloped to Miami OK, where the whole thing could be very condensed, blood tests were rushed through and at least one couple reported they took his blood and put it in two vials, since she had a fear of needles.....

Here in Connecticut, marrying couples had to have blood tests for syphilis as recently as 1985, when I got married. Not sure when the law changed.

I have a distant friend who is a recovering fundie. Her emotionally and physically abusive headship gave her a panel of STD's after cheating on her a couple of years ago. It was all the more pitiable due to the fact he's the only guy she ever dated. (They met when she was 15 and got married a few months after she graduated from high school.)

She blamed herself for his infidelity for a good long while, even as he was living with one of his girlfriends. He decided to come back home and she forgave him, only to get another round of panty-crickets a year later, including herpes. At that point, something clicked in her mind and she quit drinking the kool-aid. She started wearing pants, disbanded their "homechurch" and began divorce proceedings. The STD's were a tipping point for her, and for that, I'm grateful.

Archived