IGNORED

Duggars Vs. Bates

singsingsing

But how would they be in charge of editing? I've seen tlc throw the Duggars under the bus before

Whoever does the editing, I really think Jim Bob and Michelle are just so stupid that they think everything they allow to be shown makes them look good and are genuinely surprised at any backlash they receive. They honestly don't see that their on screen behavior might be seen as negligent/weird/creepy/stupid/offensive/painfully unfunny/etc. as opposed to the quirky charm they're going for.

Gil and Kelly are very media savvy and they have years of watching the Duggars so they know what to do and what not to do. I think that is one of the biggest differences between how the two families appear on television. In real life I think the families are pretty much the same. Controlling parents who collect children for Jesus, Gil and Kelly are just higher up in the cult.

They may be the same production company, but the networks own the shows. As such, they tell the production companies what they're looking for.

I also have no doubt that JB and Michelle are involved in editing, but that is likely just which shots are allowed, which aren't, are there any scenes that need to be changed or reshot, etc. It probably has very little to with how the final product looks so much as what's the content. J&K did the same thing with their show. It didn't keep the editing team from finding ways to throw them under the bus.

I have 4 kids and sometimes forget who is who. That said, I can actually name them all :lol:

I have a different take on it.

Duggars have their format. Bates tried to copy that with UBOA. That failed, big time. So they opted for a different format. It's working too because they're scoring huge rating and will be around for a few seasons at least.

How and where? This sounds juicy.

I've never really watched the show (only a few episodes here and there), so I can only think of one example I've seen: a couple seasons ago, the Duggars were late for something and the film crew filmed the people waiting for them, while cutting to the Duggars joking about Duggar time. And then I think it was later that episode or within a few episodes, the Duggars were late again and they did interviews with the crew about how the Duggars were always late.

I've never really watched the show (only a few episodes here and there), so I can only think of one example I've seen: a couple seasons ago, the Duggars were late for something and the film crew filmed the people waiting for them, while cutting to the Duggars joking about Duggar time. And then I think it was later that episode or within a few episodes, the Duggars were late again and they did interviews with the crew about how the Duggars were always late.

That almost sounds like an endearing fluff segment. Did the crew sound amused or serious? Sometimes I wonder if the crew members privately judge them.

Ugh, JB and his "Duggar time." It's called rudeness, bozo!

• Upvote 1

I think the best example of throwing the Duggars under the bus has to be the creationist museum episode. They interviewed people on the street just to illustrate how polarized the public views are to the Duggars own views on evolution and when the Earth was formed. I haven't seen anything that insulting to them since.

Ugh, I hate "Duggar Time". I actually felt sorry for Josh when they moved to DC and his parents were like, sorry, you don't get any of your furniture tonight, Duggar Time! Can't remember if they had beds or not. They certainly looked disappointed though. If I knew I'd be late every single time, I'd start an hour earlier.

• Upvote 1

That almost sounds like an endearing fluff segment. Did the crew sound amused or serious? Sometimes I wonder if the crew members privately judge them.

Ugh, JB and his "Duggar time." It's called rudeness, bozo!

They definitely did it as an "everyone is upset with them and the Duggars think its perfectly acceptable" segment. Like someone they were waiting for was ready to leave because the Duggars were so late.

I want to say it was the episode where the Duggars were helping in the soup kitchen.

Probably because Kelly doesn't appear as outwardly crazy as Michelle.

It's interesting how different people can perceive the same person because actually Kelly always made my insane radar pinge much higher than Michelle ever did.

I could write a little bit of how how I feel about the Bates in comparisson to the Duggars but the truth is that I couldn't really explain it because my oppinion of the Bates family has mostly emerged from my instincts/feelings and most people don't except gut feelings in a quality argumentation.

My instincts have always been telling me that there is something screwed up within the Bates family and that they are worse than the Duggars. I also always found Gil far more creepy than Jim Bob.

But the thing with the Bates family is that it is really hard to come up with anything against them (except what RosyDaisy pointed out. Thank you for that post). They come off as such a lively and warm hearted family.

But I trust my instincts.

It's interesting how different people can perceive the same person because actually Kelly always made my insane radar pinge much higher than Michelle ever did.

I could write a little bit of how how I feel about the Bates in comparisson to the Duggars but the truth is that I couldn't really explain it because my oppinion of the Bates family has mostly emerged from my instincts/feelings and most people don't except gut feelings in a quality argumentation.

My instincts have always been telling me that there is something screwed up within the Bates family and that they are worse than the Duggars. I also always found Gil far more creepy than Jim Bob.

But the thing with the Bates family is that it is really hard to come up with anything against them (except what RosyDaisy pointed out. Thank you for that post). They come off as such a lively and warm hearted family.

Well looking at Gil's position in IBLP and that he sent his daughters to travel with Bill Gothard knowing the accusations against him, I think that your instincts are right.

Well looking at Gil's position in IBLP and that he sent his daughters to travel with Bill Gothard knowing the accusations against him, I think that your instincts are right.

Didn't Jana spend time at headquarters too? I know JD did.

Didn't Jana spend time at headquarters too? I know JD did.

Erin and one other Bates daughter traveled with Bill Gothard when he went to another country. It was on a now gone IBLP blog about the trip. I think Kelly mentioned it on the original blog and, I could be wrong, but Gothard paid for them to travel with him. I think it was the trip where Bill claimed to teach brain surgeons how to do their job. :roll: This trip took place before RG went public with the accusations against Bill, but after the BoD had heard enough rumors that they went on their own and asked Bill to stop requesting teen girls as his traveling companions. He ignored them, of course, and Gil sent his own daughters off with the man. Bill handpicked the people on the BoD and Gil was the sort of man he wanted around, which tells us a lot about what sort of man Gil is.

• Upvote 2

Erin travelled with Gothard???????????? And Gil knew that! Why would anyone hand their own kid over to a child molester????? There is a lot of shady things you can do in a really dodgy organisation like ATI, but it takes a special kind of sick person to hand their own child off to likely be molested. I really hope he didn't try anything :(

Die-hard Gothard followers adore the man so much that they will overlook and excuse his behavior. Most fathers, even without hearing decades of accusations, would be concerned about sending their daughters to travel with a man who only picks teen girls as his companions. Gil was not picked to be on the BoD because of his strength of character.

• Upvote 1

Gut instincts are pretty right on in my experience. And I definitely think Kelly is crazy, she just puts on a better front. Kelly seems more capable of day to day functions whereas Michelle is clueless about a lot of things. Kelly also has a college degree and more world experiences making her more likely to know what people really think. To me Michelle just takes the crazy cake. Michelle's crazy eyes when she was talking to Ben's mom saying they could be grandparents soon was beyond creepy. :whistle: Does she ever watch the shows when they air and observe how she comes off? I bet the Bates are watching and analyzing themselves and thinking about ways to come across better.

Gil gives me creepy vibes, more than Jim Bob ever has. I think Jim Bob is pretty harmless, something about Gil makes me think he's someone to fear. My instincts tell me something is off with Alyssa Bates. Could be she really didn't care to be part of the show, a sensory think she has going on, but I just thought the way she acted on camera was different. She ever get shipped off to Gothard?

Gil and Kelly are both idiots. I wonder what led to to Gothard. They're not as famous ad the Duggars, so they can get away with certain things like being associated with gothard. Gil and Kelly also weren't as lucky as JimChelle. JimBob had a little bit of money from properties while Gil and Kelly were dirt poor scraping by. The comment Gil made about using the er as a doctor visit because they couldnt afford insurance still disgusts me. Both families are low life idiots who abused their children and pimp them out.

I want to clarify, I don't think that Gil sent his daughters off with Bill thinking that he might molest them, I think Gil is like Alfred(if you want to get an idea of what Gothard supporters think, go read his comments on RG) and while they think it would be wise for Bill to not surround himself with teen girls, they think he is too "innocent" to really do anything bad and that the stories are all from bitter former students who just overreacted. Alfred saw Bill treat one of his own daughters poorly and found a way to excuse the behavior.

And I don't think Kelly is any better than Gil because if she was, Gothard wouldn't have picked him. No way he would choose a man whose wife might start questioning things.

But even if they don't think there is any substance to the allegations of child molestation and sexual assault, wouldn't most people think its better to be safe than sorry, especially in a culture where any form of sexual contact before marriage can make you completely unworthy of having a good marriage in the future because youre damaged goods.

My instincts tell me something is off with Alyssa Bates. Could be she really didn't care to be part of the show, a sensory think she has going on, but I just thought the way she acted on camera was different. She ever get shipped off to Gothard?

I remember when I saw one of the earlier episodes from 17 kids and counting in which the Bates and Duggars met and back then I also got the impression that there was something off with Alyssa. I wondered if this girl had been traumatised and or "seen some shit". Maybe I should look for old episodes on youtube and post a screen shot so you know what I mean. Years after these early episodes Alyssa looks normal to me, though.

Edit: And I also agree with you that Jim Bob is harmless. I think that he is a men with a lot of insecurities who got pulled into patriarchy. He is convinced that the quiverful lifestyle is the best for not only his sons but also his daughters. I believe he has a good heart and really cares for his family even though many people who watch the Duggar show are certian that some of his believes are harmful to his daughters. But he just doesn't believe that they are harmful to them and he truly wants the best for all of his children and wife. This is the impression I got from him.

But even if they don't think there is any substance to the allegations of child molestation and sexual assault, wouldn't most people think its better to be safe than sorry, especially in a culture where any form of sexual contact before marriage can make you completely unworthy of having a good marriage in the future because youre damaged goods.

Honestly? They're in one of the most victim-blaming cultures that exists. IF one of the well-known QF daughters was assaulted, I suspect (with anger and sadness) that they'd send her TO something like JTTH to "repent". Or one of the unwed mothers' homes if she had the misfortune of becoming pregnant. And that's IF she said anything to anyone or there was evidence that something happened. This is the QF/IFB culture, after all, in which the benefit of the doubt is reserved for abusers.

Bill Gothard was also carefully groomed teen girls so that they were less likely to complain. He made these girls feel very uncomfortable with the way he touched them, but the culture they were raised in made it so that many didn't understand that what he was doing was wrong. They blamed themselves for thinking negative thoughts about him because he was supposed to be this godly man.

I remember when I saw one of the earlier episodes from 17 kids and counting in which the Bates and Duggars met and back then I also got the impression that there was something off with Alyssa. I wondered if this girl had been traumatised and or "seen some shit". Maybe I should look for old episodes on youtube and post a screen shot so you know what I mean. Years after these early episodes Alyssa looks normal to me, though.

Edit: And I also agree with you that Jim Bob is harmless. I think that he is a men with a lot of insecurities who got pulled into patriarchy. He is convinced that the quiverful lifestyle is the best for not only his sons but also his daughters. I believe he has a good heart and really cares for his family even though many people who watch the Duggar show are certian that some of his believes are harmful to his daughters. But he just doesn't believe that they are harmful to them and he truly wants the best for all of his children and wife. This is the impression I got from him.

I saw that episode the other day. She seemed way too sad and serious. She wasn't okay back then.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.