IGNORED

Duggars Vs. Bates

singsingsing

I like the scoring system. Simple, based off what they value: courtship, marriages, babies. But are you subtracting points anywhere for broken courtships? I feel like it's not necessarily worth 50 points off like adultery or divorce, but it's Not Done in their world and probably makes the family lose face. Also a broken courtship probably takes what, a year out of the adult child's fertile years, when they totally could have been finding the right babymaking partner.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you should lose points for giving away pieces of your heart. Although perhaps only the party who broke off the courtship should love points.

I think there should be a score attributed to unique baby names. Josie and Jackson (and Jubilee) weren't original if the Duggars have known the Bateses since before the birth of Jackson, since all three of those names existed in the Bateses family for years before the Duggar equivalent. And I believe 3 Duggars have the middle name related to JB, which makes them lose points...

Edited because there was a stray punctuation mark

The Staddons have 8 kids. They have only married off 1 kid so far, and like the Maxwells, all their kids are adults. Their oldest is 35, and their youngest is 18, which is pretty close to the Maxwells age range.

And Robert married Kendalyn and she didn't even like him!

Ohh, great point about the broken courtships. I didn't even think of that, but you're right. I've given them +1 for courting, so maybe -5 for a broken courtship (I feel like the negative of a broken courtship outweighs the positive of a successful one), -10 for a broken engagement. It's not perfect as it's always possible one of them has had a secret broken courtship... but I doubt it, and I doubt they could keep anything like that secret now. Anyway, I've got them losing points whether they broke it off themselves or not, because in their world a broken courtship is an awful shameful thing regardless of who was actually responsible for it.

So with Zach's broken courtship I've got the Duggars winning with 57 points and the Bateses still fairly close at 49.

The Kellers might land a negative number, given defections and an out of wedlock grandchild.

They would. I count definite defections from fundamentalism as scandals which I've got at -50 points a pop. They'd be short 150 points just from Daniel, Rebekah, and Susanna leaving the system. Of course, my points system was designed with only the Duggars and Bateses in mind so I was pretty severe with scandal-based points because it would be a much bigger deal. I might even lower it for them, because it's kind of game over if one has a scandal and the other doesn't at this point.

Lol, this is funny. Since I am also home sick right now it's a good distraction! It would be easy to also add points for every political candidate they have campaigned for who has gone on to win. Grand total for both families.... 0.

Lol, this is funny. Since I am also home sick right now it's a good distraction! It would be easy to also add points for every political candidate they have campaigned for who has gone on to win. Grand total for both families.... 0.

How about negative points for campaigns they've supported which lost, with a bonus loss if the campaign was for a family member.

How about negative points for campaigns they've supported which lost, with a bonus loss if the campaign was for a family member.

If we count family members, don't both families have points for their sons being elected to the police force? Or at least the Duggars. And JB held office, so they'd get a point for that as well.

Will we count political causes they rally behind? Like the Duggars with the transgender bathroom thing?

I think there should be a points system for homebirth vs birth center vs hospital birth, since it seems as if homebirths are a big part of their culture. You could also have pts for giving birth in different rooms, like bedroom vs kitchen.

Ohh, great point about the broken courtships. I didn't even think of that, but you're right. I've given them +1 for courting, so maybe -5 for a broken courtship (I feel like the negative of a broken courtship outweighs the positive of a successful one), -10 for a broken engagement. It's not perfect as it's always possible one of them has had a secret broken courtship... but I doubt it, and I doubt they could keep anything like that secret now. Anyway, I've got them losing points whether they broke it off themselves or not, because in their world a broken courtship is an awful shameful thing regardless of who was actually responsible for it.

So with Zach's broken courtship I've got the Duggars winning with 57 points and the Bateses still fairly close at 49.

How is Zach not a borderline "disgrace" to the Bates family, what with a broken courtship AND kissing Whitney before their wedding? That's pretty scandalous...

I wish I could say this is true. But Alyssa Bates Webster is married to a Congressman's son, not a congressional candidate's son.

And 2014's elections were a good day if you were Josh Duggar.

Okay. More great points. Maybe I can add a category for minor scandals. Zach and Whitney kissing before marriage would be minor, because it hasn't caused that much of an issue for any of them, they apparently were contrite and told others not to do it, and as far as we know they're still basically embracing fundamentalism.

I'm a tiny bit hesitant to add a minor scandals category, to be honest, because what if John-David Duggar kisses his girlfriend before they're married, but we just never hear about it? The lines get pretty blurred, too. Jill's front hug was seen as slightly scandalous, but the Bateses apparently don't have a problem with front hugs. Is Alyssa wearing jeans a scandal, but the Duggar girls wearing work-out pants not? If Anna sends her kids to pre-school but otherwise continues as always, does that count? Hmmm... :think:

I'm not going to give or subtract points based on political candidates or causes they endorse. It's just too much to keep track of, and I'm trying to keep it mainly about the family members themselves. But I should probably add points for political office held. I won't subtract points for losing an election, because they've still gotten their name and their platform into the spotlight.

The problem is that Americans seem to vote for, like... everything. I want to give maybe like 5 points for local office held (up to and including mayor), 10 points for State office held, 20 points if one of these nutjobs becomes governor, 25 for being elected to the House/Senate, and 100 for president. I think I'm only going to give points if one of the parents, kids, grandkids or sons/daughters-in-law are elected. So if Ben Seewald is elected president he'll gain 100 points for the Duggars, but Alyssa doesn't get any points for her father-in-law being in Congress.

So, um, help this Canadian out here. Zach Bates was elected to something local, right? So, 5 points for him. Whereas Jim Bob Duggar was... a congressman? Was he federal or state?

SSS - I love your game but in all reality, I just wanted to point out what a disgrace Zach was shaping up to be. I mean - how can you compare wearing pants to tongues touching? :D

SSS - I love your game but in all reality, I just wanted to point out what a disgrace Zach was shaping up to be. I mean - how can you compare wearing pants to tongues touching? :D

Hey now! Slow down there! We don't know that it was an open mouth kiss! :D

Political consultant here so I'll take a shot at the political questions (and I'm insanely jealous that Josh Duggar makes way more than me.... must have picked the wrong party). And I dream of debating Josh Duggar on a regular basis. I want to hand him his head on a platter and kidnap some of his siblings at the same time.

What Americans vote on depends on the state (and locality). AT the very least, they will vote on the federal offices (President/VP, Senate, Congress) and at least one statewide office (governor). Some states elect everything from governor to dog catcher, others only have a few statewide positions (in my state, only the governor and federal senators are elected statewide. Everything else is appointed). Lower than that, you have your state representative/assembly/delegate (name of the office varies by state but it's the House of Representatives on a state level) and state senator (only Nebraska has just one state house, the other 49 have two).

Fundie office holders.

*Highest known ATI who held/holds elected office is (federal) Congressman Dan Webster (Alyssa's FIL) who was called Taliban Dan by his Democratic opponent (that was viral in political circles)

*Jim Bob Duggar was a state representative in AR. He ran for federal senate in the GOP primary in 2002 and lost (sadly he'd get elected statewide now). Many speculate that his loss was his unwillingness to get on the phone and dial for dollars (which every candidate from school board to president has to do in the US). (Of course now, he would barely have to do that because his fans would donate online).

*John David Duggar was/is a constable. Not sure what they exactly do in AR (all of that varies by state) but apparently he ran unopposed. I'll do some digging on the county website to get the exact results.

*Zach Bates was county mayor (which is unusual because in my state mayor is by municipality not county). How powerful a mayor is varies by municipality. He lost the primary last year.

Political consultant here so I'll take a shot at the political questions (and I'm insanely jealous that Josh Duggar makes way more than me.... must have picked the wrong party). And I dream of debating Josh Duggar on a regular basis. I want to hand him his head on a platter and kidnap some of his siblings at the same time.

What Americans vote on depends on the state (and locality). AT the very least, they will vote on the federal offices (President/VP, Senate, Congress) and at least one statewide office (governor). Some states elect everything from governor to dog catcher, others only have a few statewide positions (in my state, only the governor and federal senators are elected statewide. Everything else is appointed). Lower than that, you have your state representative/assembly/delegate (name of the office varies by state but it's the House of Representatives on a state level) and state senator (only Nebraska has just one state house, the other 49 have two).

Fundie office holders.

*Highest known ATI who held/holds elected office is (federal) Congressman Dan Webster (Alyssa's FIL) who was called Taliban Dan by his Democratic opponent (that was viral in political circles)

*Jim Bob Duggar was a state representative in AR. He ran for federal senate in the GOP primary in 2002 and lost (sadly he'd get elected statewide now). Many speculate that his loss was his unwillingness to get on the phone and dial for dollars (which every candidate from school board to president has to do in the US). (Of course now, he would barely have to do that because his fans would donate online).

*John David Duggar was/is a constable. Not sure what they exactly do in AR (all of that varies by state) but apparently he ran unopposed. I'll do some digging on the county website to get the exact results.

*Zach Bates was county mayor (which is unusual because in my state mayor is by municipality not county). How powerful a mayor is varies by municipality. He lost the primary last year.

Zach was, or possibly still is, an elected county commissioner, but he was not elected county mayor (which many other states call "county executive" or similar. He challenged the incumbent and lost the primary.

Lets subtract a point from Dan Webster for getting his ATI ass booted off the powerful Rules Committee for his failed coup against Speaker Boehner. :lol:

How many points does The Pecan Thief lose for being caught thieving??

I love this game!!!! Just calculated the points for the S'Morton families and they seem to beat every family that was mentioned in this thread before... okay I suck at maths, but I think they get 107 points?? I'm not sure how many grandchildren they already have. Approximately 20?!

-Lose one point for each child 18+ who is single.

-Lose 5 points for each child 25+ who is single.

-Lose 15 points for each child 30+ who is single.

-Lose 50 points if any immediate family member has a scandal (immediate family = the parents and children, grandchildren and sons/daughters-in-law and scandal = anything majorlike adultery, divorce, leaving fundamentalism completely and obviously, that would be a scandal to fundies not necessarily to us, and that isn't criminal - wearing pants or kissing before marriage doesn't cut it).

-Lose 100 points if any immediate family member does something criminal (and gets caught, obviously).

-Gain one point for each child.

-Gain 5 points for each set of twins.

-If Michelle or Kelly ever manage to produce #20 that's an automatic 100 points.

-Gain 1 point for each child courting.

-Gain 5 points for each child engaged.

-Gain 10 points for each married daughter.

-Gain 15 points for each married son (because they carry on the name).

-Gain 1 point for each maternal grandchild (i.e. the child of a daughter)

-Gain 2 points for each paternal grandchild (i.e. the child of a son, because they bear the family name)

-Gain 5 points for each set of grandtwins.

Kellers:

-1 for having a child over 18 isn't married (Susanna)

-50 for scandal (Susanna)

-50 for scandal (Daniel)

-50 for scandal (Rebekah)

+8 for having eight children

+10 for married daughter (Esther)

+10 for married daughter (Rebekah)

+10 for married daughter (Priscilla)

+10 for married daughter (Anna)

+15 for married son (Daniel)

(+1 for each daughter's child)

+9 for Esther

+2 for Rebekah

+2 for Priscilla

+4 for Anna

+1 for Susanna

(+2 for each son's child)

+2 for Daniel

Grand total: -68

I love this game!!!! Just calculated the points for the S'Morton families and they seem to beat every family that was mentioned in this thread before... okay I suck at maths, but I think they get 107 points?? I'm not sure how many grandchildren they already have. Approximately 20?!

Rachel will give birth to grandchild #22 in March

I calculated a 116 score fore the Mortons and an 84 for the Smiths.

So was it confirmed that Zach and Whitney made lip snugglebunnies before marriage?

Yup. They said it was just too hard not to but they wouldn't encourage it with anyone else. Again, it didn't seem to hurt them that much since they still got pregnant right away. Obviously jesus wasn't that pissed off.

Archived