IGNORED

Steve Maxwell wants his sheeple to do another fast

SPHASH

...Most people would like to know if there is traffic on the way to work, if there has been a national disaster or terrorist attack...

That is so true. I spent years ignoring the news because of religion, and it was just after 9/11. I was also working full-time for a friend while living at home. My parents didn't have network TV, usually didn't listen to NPR, and didn't read the paper very often, and my dad took my antenna off my car. (those were the days lol) We went to the library but could only get books that met my parents' standards (or were guilty pleasure books my mom couldn't give up like John Grisham). But anytime i saw a flag at half-staff on my drive to work I would get a terror feeling, because i didn't know the reason. It could have been as simple as a local official passing away, but it scared me because i was ignorant. I eventually bought myself a tiny analog audio TV/radio receiver on the sly, but before then -- ignorant fear.

...News is somewhat unifying because, in some instances, it effects us all. It gives us an instant connection with people. It opens our eyes to the world and ideas we might never otherwise learn about, which is why he does not allow his children to read or watch the news....

Amen. He has raised his children to adulthood, but has not given them the freedom to be independent or take part in collective knowledge without his filter. The cult of Steve.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea! I'm sure we all could come up with great recipe contributions... I made some homemade Hamburger Helper earlier tonight using basic stuff from the fridge and pantry.

Really good idea! :D Think i better commit to an anti-fast of catching up on every episode of the Daily Show i can get the time for :cracking-up: before Jon Stewart leaves. Sucks that he's been there 16 years and i've only had access to it for about one. And Steve Carell was part of the Daily Show too back in the day. :doh: The awesome stuff fundies miss out on by being ignorant on purpose.

Recipe contribution: meatloaf in a heart pan for valentine's day. :lol: all beef and no beans, Steve. :D

LOL. Well, a few articles back he wrote about Ebola. Now how do you suppose he heard about that?!?

Good luck with keeping your families safe because you don't know about an upcoming winter storm or tornado....

How is this a "fast" for Steve or the rest of the Maxwells? They don't follow the news. They don't read or watch anything. Their lives will not change at all. They are not giving up anything. This is like me giving up asparagus, which I hate and never eat. If we "fast" with Steve, does that mean we shouldn't read their blog?

Here's my armchair psychologists appraisal of the situation: He hates and fears loosing control (especially of himself) and tries to prevent it by taking even tighter control. When he finds himself not living up to his own, arbitrary standard he responds by making it as hard for himself as possible to fall short again and justifies it by quoting a proof text or two.

See the animal cracker incident,or his 'being called home to work', or the family's general descent into fundiedom for examples of this.

I think Steve found himself obsessing over stuff he doesn't like lately- (current event stuff,the lotto results, the Blessa Bump watch thread,whatever) and he's trying to stop it by making it impossible to feed his obsession.

Meant to add last night, how does magazines on quilting and sewing or whatever ( I know those were just examples ) constitute News?? Reaching, Steve, reaching.

I thought they ALREADY didn't pay attention to the news. They are nuts. How can you expect to be good conversationalists if you don't know what's going on locally or globally? :think:

What the hell!! I like knowing whats going on in the world. I'm DVR the morning news programs cause the reporter from 60 minutes was just killed!! Steve wants his followers to be like him & not be able to to function in the world.

I thought they ALREADY didn't pay attention to the news. They are nuts. How can you expect to be good conversationalists if you don't know what's going on locally or globally? :think:

Agree!! They enjoy the fact that they don't know what is going on in the world.

Steve, just because you're not interested in quilting or cooking doesn't mean no other man in the world is. I know this will shock you, but you don't speak for all men.

Yes, the Maxwells have mentioned before they do not pay attention to the news. But as someone above pointed out Steve knew about Ebola.

In fact, in his January 28 post, he mentioned the worry over Ebola seems to be waning. No way could he realize that without paying some attention to the news.

I'm guessing Steve has caught Joseph, in his newfound marital freedom, looking at a news website (possibly with a female anchor) and fears for his soul.

I love how he sees following the news as a manly thing that takes a man away from his wife. Partner and I listen to the news together in the car and love discussing current affairs - it brings us closer. He even likes it when I disagree with him and we engage in lively debate, a concept that would be foreign to Stevie

How incredibly sad it is to merely pass through life, denying your natural instinct of curiosity, devoid of emotion other than putting on a false face of happiness that you've been trained to believe is the only way to be, viewing anything and everything outside of your self imposed bubble as harmful and evil, all because you think your time on earth is a merely a trial as you head towards the great eternal unknown that you think is waiting for you on the other side. Is this REALLY what god wants from his children? To squander the gifts he's supposedly given them?

LOL. Well, a few articles back he wrote about Ebola. Now how do you suppose he heard about that?!?

Good luck with keeping your families safe because you don't know about an upcoming winter storm or tornado....

He obviously heard about Ebola while eavesdropping on people when waiting in line to convert the cashier at Costco. He's claimed in the past that the Maxwells get all the news they need to hear at the grocery store.

So it's a real fast for Steve. Everyone fasting from the news can't go grocery shopping for 60 days!

Wow! My sister-in-law is a secret Maxwellian!! She never listens to the news as "it has nothing to do with her or her life!" :?

Sorry but I agree with twin2 - if you are a member of planet Earth than being ignorant is not ok nor is requiring your flock to do so either!!!

Geez..some of these fundies just slay me with their bs!

Or he might have to invest in noise-cancelling headphones for each of them to wear while in Costco so they can shop while still continuing their media fast.

You will get my New York Times (digital subscription) when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

"For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret - Ephesians 5:12"

It doesn't say anything about reading things done in secret, and if something is newsworthy it's usually something done in public... like the shooting of 3 Muslim students yesterday. Though I guess Stevo wouldn't care about that, because one of them was married but still going to school instead of staying at home like a good wife and they weren't Christian.

That's local news for me. :( They were very kind and charitable people and the married couple planned to take their current project (providing dental care and food to the homeless in their part of the Triangle) to Turkey and provide the same to Syrian refugees. A classmate/buddy of mine was good friends with the sister. I'm kind of glad that I'm working from the house today instead of on campus, because I can't hold back almost crying most of the day again.

Or he might have to invest in noise-cancelling headphones for each of them to wear while in Costco so they can shop while still continuing their media fast.

It would be a shame if they found out about something while standing in the checkout line!

What good is a media fast when you never watch the news or read the newspaper anyways? o.0

post-170-14451999922965_thumb.jpgSo if a hypothetical tornado comes down and ravages Leavenworth he won't want to know about the damage in his area? Steve, I pray for a lot of thingss, but I will not give up my news. I will not give up tickets to see the Dead Sea Scrolls at the CA Science Museum, because that is news. I think perhaps you are a little not knowing these days.

My state election is less than 60 days away. Son 2 will turn 18 before then so will be voting for the first time. His reaction when the election was called "Oh, guess that means I need to start paying attention to the news so I know what's going on." I thought this was hilarious but also a sign that he was actually ready to take his place in society as an adult. He wasn't just going to do what we said or follow our opinions, he was going to listen to the politicians and see what each of them stood for and what they were offering. How can you make these sort of decisions if you cut yourself off from the world? Even if you are extreme fundy and believe the head of the house should make the decision on how everyone in the family votes, you need that headship to be informed.

Recipe contribution: meatloaf in a heart pan for valentine's day. :lol: all beef and no beans, Steve. :D

Coco, does this mean you've made a beefcake? :naughty:

My life is not too complicated at the moment. Work, with tax season looming. Kitchen-wise, I've made spinach-and-feta and beef burekas (puff pastry rolls), black bean soup, maple-coffee bundt cake and a rice pilaf with carrots, chickpeas, the nice expensive ground beef and an undisclosed amount of garlic. My shoeman's puzzle/crossed canoes quilt is coming along nicely. It's my first modern quilt, as all the ones I made so far were vintage-y and scrappy. I fell in love with Denyse Schmidt's modern quilts book and this quilt in particular. I loved it so much I'm not changing anything in the colourways as these are already my favourite colours. I'm hand-piecing it while watching Doctor Who. The cat loves to sit on the completed blocks. Life is good.

http://bypatrice.com/blog/denyse-schmid ... /shoemans/

he better read the headphone news reviews to find out which one works the best :lol:

Coco, does this mean you've made a beefcake? :naughty:

My life is not too complicated at the moment. Work, with tax season looming. Kitchen-wise, I've made spinach-and-feta and beef burekas (puff pastry rolls), black bean soup, maple-coffee bundt cake and a rice pilaf with carrots, chickpeas, the nice expensive ground beef and an undisclosed amount of garlic. My shoeman's puzzle/crossed canoes quilt is coming along nicely. It's my first modern quilt, as all the ones I made so far were vintage-y and scrappy. I fell in love with Denyse Schmidt's modern quilts book and this quilt in particular. I loved it so much I'm not changing anything in the colourways as these are already my favourite colours. I'm hand-piecing it while watching Doctor Who. The cat loves to sit on the completed blocks. Life is good.

http://bypatrice.com/blog/denyse-schmid ... /shoemans/

i didn't know what a beefcake was and had to google it so thank you for that delicious piece of news. :D And that quilt is going to be gorgeous.

Information is evil and a threat to Maxhell.

I cannot fathom even the concept of tuning out the entire fucking world. It's not productive or healthy and unless you never leave your house (well, ok, for the Maxwells it might work) you cannot avoid knowing at least the basic facts of reality.

It must suck beyond comprehension to be so threatened by the life given by your god and the world created by that god.

Archived